Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank bombshell for thousands of rural dwellers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

Yes that'll make them go away. The level of stupidity from some posters here is shocking but not unexpected

What happens if I don't have €300 to pay someone to survey my tank? And God forbid it is condemmed and I need a new one... What happens then?

Why do they think that people can just find money for these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

Because we just keep paying for everything 'they' demand from us ... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

You do know the worlds longest river is 4,000. This should give you an idea of how far water can travel, just because you think it sinks into the earth and "disappears" doesn't make it so, There is a huge amount of limestone in Ireland through which water flows underground.

The stereotype that springs to my mind is the thick country farmer who won't be told he's wrong. It still doesn't make him right though

Ya well maybe i just don't give a ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Gas, I'm from a city and I have been broke, but I never resorted to polluting or littering.

You'd imagine most rural people would have some sort of connection with the land. Some people have no respect for the land, the rivers, themselves or their neighbours. Snacker, I'm afraid you and your parents fall in to that category.

I'n not from the country i moved there we dont have big fields or any of that craic. we've never used bins everyone around us burns rubbish too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Snacker wrote: »
    I'n not from the country i moved there we dont have big fields or any of that craic. we've never used bins everyone around us burns rubbish too

You could be all caught. Serious consequences if you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Oh, so that either makes it ok or it makes ye all as bad as each other.

BTW your abusive post has been reported, that was real intelligent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Where is this backward area?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Folks,

Can we stay on topic please?

Rubbish can be discussed in another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 clanpiper

I'll try and clarify a couple of points here.

1. Inspection charges - First inspection free, subsequent inspection after appeal of initial decision will be €200

2. You could live 1000s of miles from a river or lake but the bottom line is that raw waste would seep into the ground and mix with natural water flowing over rock polluting the water system.

3. The reason we have to pay a registration charge is not to the benefit of us but to pour into banks and bondholders pockets.

4. No other EU country charges registration fee.

5.All the septic tanks in Ireland are rumoured to be inadequate due to Ireland not being up to date with European directives on waste water treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

clanpiper wrote: »
    I'll try and clarify a couple of points here.

Good sensible points, I pretty sure from friends in France there's a four year inspection and if it's not up to scratch your fined heftily and you have to get it done properly before the next inspection. So it's in your interest to keep it tip top even if you don't give a crap about your environment or your drinking water! (again from friends living over there) They have fibre glass or plastic ones that are pretty efficient, you have to get them drained and they don't encourage too much chemicals (domestos and blue for the loo) which makes me suspect it's recycled. (It's all second hand info though)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

John_Rambo wrote: »
    They have fibre glass or plastic ones that are pretty efficient, you have to get them drained and they don't encourage too much chemicals (domestos and blue for the loo) which makes me suspect it's recycled. (It's all second hand info though)
    The detergents kill the bugs that ate the crap in there. Try using non bios in your washing machine and your septic tank will love you for it. :cool:

And it will more likely pass inspection!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conaire1

Minister Phil Hogan repeated again today on radio the error that septic tanks were to blame for the serious outbreak of cryptospiridium in the Corrib water supply in 2007. As I recall, officials concluded an overflow of sewage at a Council holding tank in Oughterard was to blame. Are we due an apology from Minister Hogan?
    RTE Radio

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

How can one know if their tank is likely to pass the inspection or not (emission of odor?) and is there anything specific can be done beforehand to increase the possibility of passing the inspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 clanpiper

dhoun wrote: »
    How can one know if their tank is likely to pass the inspection or not (emission of odor?) and is there anything specific can be done beforehand to increase the possibility of passing the inspection?

They are keeping their cards close to their chest on this one. As far as I'm led to believe no specific standards have been publicised as yet. So for example the limit they will set could be something like 1 part raw sewage per million parts water could deem that the septic tank is failing. This is just one example, trust me they will have dozens of standards that must be met. There are some scrupulous septic tank cleaning companies who are advertising at present to service your tank free so you are more than prepared for these examinations. Don't be fooled by these companies. They have no idea of the standards that will be set. They could service your tank for free but tell you you need to spend hundreds on a new pump or treatment particles etc for you to give them money to get the job done only for your tank to be condemned anyway because it doesnt meet required European standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

conaire1 wrote: »
    As I recall, officials concluded an overflow of sewage at a Council holding tank in Oughterard was to blame. Are we due an apology from Minister Hogan?
    RTE Radio

I went for an interview for the council and that episode was mentioned (by them). The panel firmly planted the blame on farmers alone. Seeing as I am a farmer, and was an interviewee there wasn't a lot I could say to them that wouldn't sink my chances. That I didn't get the job just makes me regret it now!

When you look at works like Clifden polluting that bay, only recently sorted I believe, they're (the council) some shower to be passing the buck along.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

I think the main problem with this tax is not an equitable tax, it is mainly a tax on rural dwellers. Nobody in any of our main cities or towns will have to pay this tax, yet all of our taxes, country and city dwellers, pay for city and large town dwellers waste removal.

I think if they brought in a sewage tax for all of the population and use this to treat sewage country wide it would be more equatable and acceptable to all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Fidelma Healy Eames has announced that she will not visit any rural area to meet the plebs locals and 'discuss' their concerns unless they GUARANTEE that there will be no protest when she arrives. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ithaca

If you take an identical house in an urban and rural setting the urban house is more expensive to buy. Built into the price of the urban house are various things including not needing a septic tank so urban dwellers have in theory paid a premium for their location's facilities.

People who chose to buy in a rural setting did so for a variety of reasons, some including getting more house and garden for their cash and good luck to them. Along with that came responsibility for their septic tank.

Having said all that the abolition of rates for urban households in the early '80s (for vote-buying purposes by FF) has left urban households not contributing anything to the maintenance of the facilities. The new household charge doesn't really address that as it applies to all equally.

In my opinion all of this will come down to some kind of means tested grant for the anticipated 20% that have a problem with their tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Ithaca wrote: »
    If you take an identical house in an urban and rural setting the urban house is more expensive to buy. Built into the price of the urban house are various things including not needing a septic tank so urban dwellers have in theory paid a premium for their location's facilities.

People who chose to buy in a rural setting did so for a variety of reasons, some including getting more house and garden for their cash and good luck to them. Along with that came responsibility for their septic tank.

Having said all that the abolition of rates for urban households in the early '80s (for vote-buying purposes by FF) has left urban households not contributing anything to the maintenance of the facilities. The new household charge doesn't really address that as it applies to all equally.

In my opinion all of this will come down to some kind of means tested grant for the anticipated 20% that have a problem with their tank.

That sounds sensible - however I think it should go a step further - firstly all inspections should be free - on one hand you'll have "free inspections" for things such as whether people have paid the household charge/broadband charge and on the other hand - something that has to do with public safety will be charged for - this doesn't make sense - as it will automatically become an issue of people trying to evade rather than fix.
    Secondly if someone has the misfortune to have a problem with their septic tank then repairs should be tax deductable (if they can afford to pay) or/and grant based (mean tested).
    That's just my opinion anyways :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Fidelma Healy Eames has announced that she will not visit any rural area to meet the plebs locals and 'discuss' their concerns unless they GUARANTEE that there will be no protest when she arrives. :)

What a Soldier.
    Maybe all the protesters can stay at home playing their X boxes fitted with Healy Eames chips.
    Muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

"Hello. I'm here to inspect your septic tank, Do you have one?"
    "Yes."
    "I'm sure its fine. I'll just write on this form that it meets the EU standards so you won't have to replace your septic tank with a brand new one."
    "Okay"
    "That's €300".

thats bureaucracy for you. Maybe someone out there is better informed than me and tell me why the water in parts of Conamara is undrinkable?
    is it because septic tanks are leaking or not regulated?

there was a time when we could pollute at will. now with regulation this will become more difficult.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Fair enough, i should have added 'if the block tank was built to a proper standard.:)

whose standard, your or the EUs?

We don't really care what it's leaking to be honest it's very deep and it doesn't affect anyone whatsoever nearby all fields for miles downhill behind my house. We had no choice had to save money.

As far as I know it's plastered on the inside and there's some kind of outlet to let
    everything out, it was a few years now can't remember all details...

My main point is. European Union, F**K OFF

I think thats part of the problem. for too long there has been a lack of regulation in this country and people did as they pleased. I remember when it was acceptable to throw your waste into the bog.

we want tourists to come and drink water that will make them sick? You really have to think of the broader picture here instead of giving the finger to authority.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

some of these protests can turn nasty. who would voluntarily want to put themselves in such a situation? i ma sure rentamob eirigi would turn up for a bit of violence.

hey Fuinseog, multi-quote

Advertisement