Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle helmets in courts

Options
  • 27-07-2011 10:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Not sure if anyone watched the news this evening but the 4 Gardai in Waterford made an awful impression by turning up to court doing a Martin Cahill. I know they have a presumption of innocence and I am making no comment on the actual trial, but it looked horrendous.
    Who ever came up with that plan needs they're head examined.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Is it against the law to be a motorcyclist now?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0727/holnessa.html#video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Agree the helmets suck from a PR perspective , a pair of Y fronts over their faces would have been preferable to the helmets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

There was a also load of dodgy looking characters there dressed funny and wearing horsehair wigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Looks ridicolous. If joe soap turned up for court like that, they would get a bollicking from the judge. Is this case in closed court. Can someone photograph the alleged perpetrators inside the court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Is it against the law to be a motorcyclist now?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0727/holnessa.html#video

Read the post again, where do I mention the legality of a motorcycle helmet?

My problem is the homoerotic wearing of tight leather and the chip that most motorcyclists seem to carry on they're shoulders, but that's another argument for another day.

• Advertisement

Rawhead wrote: »
    Read the post again, where do I mention the legality of a motorcycle helmet?

My problem is the homoerotic wearing of tight leather and the chip that most motorcyclists seem to carry on they're shoulders, but that's another argument for another day.

You seem to have a problem with people who arrive to court on a motorcycle, being dressed appropriately for that mode of transport.

You seem to have a problem with people who arrive to court on a motorcycle, being dressed appropriately for that mode of transport.

Cabbagerolleyes.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,757 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Cabbagerolleyes.gif
    Infracted
    No further comment on this please and thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Was very strange alright... Didnt look very professional.

I presume it was to hide their identity to protect themselves and their families.

Could have been done better in my opinion.

Looks ridicolous. If joe soap turned up for court like that, they would get a bollicking from the judge. Is this case in closed court. Can someone photograph the alleged perpetrators inside the court.

No , taking photographs in court will land the photographer in a world of sh1t - strictly forbidden.
    There is no question that they were going to wear the helmets in court , rather they were wearing them outside to prevent cameras getting a look in. No way they would be allowed hide their faces in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Eh... They all appeared to arrive to court on motorcycles, almost all of them were also wearing bike jackets...OP I dont see where you are going with this. It would be against the law to be on the motorcycle and not wearing a helmet.

Or is it because they didnt immediately remove their helmets when they dismounted the bike? Why would they want their faces plastered all over the news? Especially when they are presumed to be innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I believe to OP Believes the Officers wore there helmets IN Court...

I don't believe he is making reference to them wearing Helmets TO Court.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

bravestar wrote: »
    Eh... They all appeared to arrive to court on motorcycles, almost all of them were also wearing bike jackets...OP I dont see where you are going with this. It would be against the law to be on the motorcycle and not wearing a helmet.

Or is it because they didnt immediately remove their helmets when they dismounted the bike? Why would they want their faces plastered all over the news? Especially when they are presumed to be innocent.

You do know where he is going with it, I think most people would.

The OP is only commenting on the fact it looked weird and unprofessional that some of those in question arrived completely covered up and made a huge effort to hide their identity. It looked odd, as most people wear glasses, put hand over face, or use a newspaper to hide their identity. Not dress up in motorcycle gear.

Understand why, but the way they went about it looked stupid and could have been done better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They are innocent until proven otherwise. I would have thought that legal action against Gardai is something that goes with the territory, an unfortunate part of the job.

However, it is unusual that serving Gardai should have their faces covered by motorcycle helmets while entering a courthouse. While another poster may wish to suggest that it is because of the mode of transport they are using, the public know better. It reflects very poorly on them and I might add makes them look quite sinister.

According to The Phoenix magazine, understand that RTE have allegedly made a complaint to the Courts Service about being unable to film the defendants entering the court house.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I wouldn't say they normally drive bikes, considering its reported that it was one off duty Garda member who drove them in one at a time. It looks very like it was done on purpose to disguise their identity completely in a less traditional way.

Good job their isn't a river beside the court house, they would have found it difficult to walk in the scuba gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SLOOPY

Good job their isn't a river beside the court house, they would have found it difficult to walk in the scuba gear.

There is.

Could be a go'er that.:D

Sully wrote: »
    I wouldn't say they normally drive bikes, considering its reported that it was one off duty Garda member who drove them in one at a time. It looks very like it was done on purpose to disguise their identity completely in a less traditional way.

Why do you think this? Vewing the clip one is clearly wearing motorcycle leathers. Are you suggesting he dressed up specially for court?
    Or perhaps they decided to use this form of transport to avoid parking their own vehicles, or getting caught in traffic?

More anti motorcycling bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

If they turned up in hurling helmets would you call that anti hurling bull****???

If they turned up in hurling helmets would you call that anti hurling bull****???

A hurley is not a means of transport.

• Advertisement

A hurley is not a means of transport.

But peoples issue isn't how the accused arrived in court. I dont think anyone here cares about people arriving to court on a motorcycle. The issue is with the clearly sinister and immature attempt at concealing their faces from the public.

Terrible pr here, these people have damaged the image of AGS by pulling this stunt, regardless of the verdict(which is not guilty right now). Anyone who would turn up to a court appearance in a tracksuit and hoodie (helmet or no helmet) is putting forward a bad image of themselves. Anyone accused of a crime during performing work duties, also to an extent represents their employer at court, and in this case both AGS and the state are being poorly represented by this stunt.

But peoples issue isn't how the accused arrived in court. I dont think anyone here cares about people arriving to court on a motorcycle. The issue is with the clearly sinister and immature attempt at concealing their faces from the public.

Terrible pr here, these people have damaged the image of AGS by pulling this stunt, regardless of the verdict(which is not guilty right now). Anyone who would turn up to a court appearance in a tracksuit and hoodie (helmet or no helmet) is putting forward a bad image of themselves. Anyone accused of a crime during performing work duties, also to an extent represents their employer at court, and in this case both AGS and the state are being poorly represented by this stunt.

The accused no longer represents his or her employer in this case as their employer has put them forward for prosecution.
    As for turning up in a hoodie and tracksuit, thats what 90% of all those appearing in court wear.
    Are you suggesting that those who wear a tracksuit or hoodie are guilty?

There are 4 Gardai currently on trial in Dublin for assault , it was interesting to compare their arrival in court ( wearing suits , walking proud and making no effort to hide their identities ) with the arrival in court of their Waterford colleagues.

Why do you think this? Vewing the clip one is clearly wearing motorcycle leathers. Are you suggesting he dressed up specially for court?
    Or perhaps they decided to use this form of transport to avoid parking their own vehicles, or getting caught in traffic?

LOL are you suggesting I am "anti motorcycling" because I believed that three people came to court in full motor gear just to avoid being captured on camera, while believing they are not bikers themselves? Not everybody who doesn't believe someone drives a bike is anti-motorcycling dude.

Are you suggesting that those who wear a tracksuit or hoodie are guilty?

I'm not suggesting anyone accused of a crime is guilty before the conclusion of a trial, I wouldn't dream of saying that.

I made my point about defendants presenting themselves badly to the court (and public too). A public servant giving a bad impression to the public he/she serves is bad PR.
    Please don't put words into my mouth.

Anyone who doesn't go into court dressed appropriately (suit and tie) isn't showing respect.

You get dressed up to go out, to go to a wedding, to go to a funeral, for an important meeting, sometimes for work, interviews etc.

You are on trial in a court of law, by the state, and you should dress more appropriately and not as if its some casual day out.

Perception is everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 comeandsee

This is unusual behaviour. What is one to take from it ? Their Commissioner or at least their Chief Superintendent should make inquiries into it and ease the public confusion as to why they all arrived in helmets. To be fair, It looks like it was planned, with the intention of hiding their identities. What have they to hide? Are they ashamed ? They should make every honest effort to be accountable and show us who they are for it is their job to hold others to account and that is a special position. If it is true that they wished to hide their identities when brought to account and still expect a public servic job, and that sort of behaviour goes unscrutinized, then we need to look into our police organisation much closer to see where such confidence could come from that they think they can behave however they wish while being held to account. Isnt that the least we shouyld expect, no matter where we live ?

At the risk of another infraction, you sir are a CABBAGE.

Back on topic. It does contrast greatly with the 4 Gardai in Dublin, who all appear in court with their heads held high wearing suits surrounded by family and friends.
    The really sad thing about the Waterford case is they made the scrote, standing in his finery, smoking a fag, look more respectable than themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,757 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

At the risk of another infraction, you sir are a CABBAGE.
    Infracted.
    No further comment on this please and thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

One paper said that the same bike dropped them off one by one i.e. their arrival was planned so that they would enter in disguise. As for the impression it made, they miht as well have come in in balaclavas.

Advertisement