Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Archaeopteryx is no longer the first bird

• 27-07-2011 7:43pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Adam Khor

It has finally been announced that Archaeopteryx is not the first bird as we were all taught, but rather a non-avian dinosaur within Deinonychosauria.
    ArchaeopteryxFossil.jpg

I'm not surprised at all- for years I've been telling people that there are dinosaurs more similar to birds than Archaeopteryx itself, but still they are considered to be non-avian dinos.
    Archaeopteryx looks a lot like a small dromaeosaur to me. It even has the retractable killer-claw.

Anyways, the claim is based on the study of another feathered dinosaur, Xiaotinga, a chicken-sized Archaeopteryx lookalike.

imagesizer?file=boyle8DEB78ED-7D54-ADE9-CE52-BA349285CDE7.jpg&width=600
    Another article mentions that Archaeopteryx is now included, along with Xiaotinga, within family Archaeopterygidae, which is confusing since recently another paper had re-classiffied Archaeopteryx as a member of the Unenlagiinae (along with Rahonavis, Buitreraptor and gigantic Austroraptor).

Advertisement