Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Archaeopteryx is no longer the first bird

• 27-07-2011 7:43pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Adam Khor

It has finally been announced that Archaeopteryx is not the first bird as we were all taught, but rather a non-avian dinosaur within Deinonychosauria.
    ArchaeopteryxFossil.jpg

I'm not surprised at all- for years I've been telling people that there are dinosaurs more similar to birds than Archaeopteryx itself, but still they are considered to be non-avian dinos.
    Archaeopteryx looks a lot like a small dromaeosaur to me. It even has the retractable killer-claw.

Anyways, the claim is based on the study of another feathered dinosaur, Xiaotinga, a chicken-sized Archaeopteryx lookalike.

imagesizer?file=boyle8DEB78ED-7D54-ADE9-CE52-BA349285CDE7.jpg&width=600
    Another article mentions that Archaeopteryx is now included, along with Xiaotinga, within family Archaeopterygidae, which is confusing since recently another paper had re-classiffied Archaeopteryx as a member of the Unenlagiinae (along with Rahonavis, Buitreraptor and gigantic Austroraptor).

Advertisement