Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reason behind the death of the Irish Pub

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bambi wrote: »
    I'd rather go to the gym tbh.

Only pub I really like is The Church on Jervis st. Feels more social bar and professional then a pub that wants people skulling pints.

It's expensive no doubt but I feel I'm paying for what I get. Also the toilets are generally spotless.

Professional? do you go to a pub to feel professional :confused:

Plus I don't generally drink in the jacks :pac:

No the pub feels professional like they actually care about the service they give.

I don't drink in the toilets either but when cost of maintaining them is embedded into the cost of the pint, I expect them to be clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

I'd rather go to the gym tbh.

Only pub I really like is The Church on Jervis st. Feels more social bar and professional then a pub that wants people skulling pints.

It's expensive no doubt but I feel I'm paying for what I get. Also the toilets are generally spotless.
    Exactly, cant beat the feeling after a good session in the gym :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

+1 Nothing like a good Guinness after a session in the gym :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Millenium celebrations changed punters drinking habits in so far as people realised that they didn't have to go to the pub to have a party atmosphere and a party. I remember going to the pub that night and it was go quiet, an anti climax really as everyone was at house parties.

The penny dropped that the craic wasn't cemented into the pub. Shortly after this the smoking ban came in and with further price gouging as already mentioned punter realised that this was a rip off.

IMO, the death of the Irish pub is not a healthy thing as an important part of our culture and identity has been lost. Before I get a bashing, it's the loss of the people not going to the pubs that is lamentable. The characters and the craic with that unique Irish wit and wisdom (more so in country, rural pubs) is a big void.

Difficult to get that back....not unless we compile a database of the characters and where they live so that we can get the craic on tap, so to speak.;)

Still, Stephens day wouldn't be the same without going to the pub having a few beers and checking out the totty in there Xmas finery! It has to be the best day for craic in the pub in the calendar year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

(10) Lack of choice

Most pubs seem to serve a maximum of 6 or 7 kinds of beer, and 2 types of wine. And in most pubs, those beers and wines will be exactly the same kind of mass-produced rubbish.

I never understood how a country who likes to drink like the Irish can get by with that little choice... and quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

+1 Nothing like a good Guinness after a session in the gym :D
    And before aswell ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Cost is the major factor.

Customer service, or lack of, is another major factor. Go to a pub or bar on the continent, awesome sauce...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭del_c

**** atmosphere...especially a blaring television and loud music...what is the story with showing coronation street in the pub in the evening on four seperate plasma screens. And not everyone wants to be confronted with Hull against Aston Villa not matter where you are sitting. One telly per pub please...or at least a few areas you can sit in where you don't hear or see it.

I don't really buy into the price thing...3.5 or 4 quid for a pint is not that expensive by european standards. It was 2 punts when I started boozing, so that's not big inflation when you consider the lounge boy was earning 1.60 or 2 quid max an hour then and must be paid 8€ now (not meant as an attack on the min wage btw)

Home drinking, and the growth of popularity of wine among males and females...there is a huge difference between on and off trade wine prices.

Drink driving...well that kind of annoys me, as there was a fairly short period of our history when drinkers drive around pissed...maybe about 35 of 40 years. What happened to hopping on the bike and cycling a mile or 2 to the pub...be safer and healthier for everyone by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

I think the main problem here in Ireland is the for so long the Pubs seemed to think that everything revolved around them.Ive saw people who were regulars in pubs for 10+ years who would have dopped tens of thousands in the place being barred overnight for something petty and treated like strangers by the establishments.Not all but most Pubs and clubs had p*ss poor service especially the clubs.Ive never saw a city up till year ago trying to get into a club was such a f*cken huge deal, like a lottery, asking yourself as you walked up to the door "will I have my night ruined again" by being told I cant enter this over priced p*ss ridden dungeon.On a different note but similar same can be said for a lot of restuarants here and owners contineously complaining but even still can get the basics of customer service right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

And another problem - While I don't expect pubs to serve meals, those that
    do - don't seem to do it to a high standard.

For example, I do not consider "burger and chips" as a main course on a pub menu as "choice". Sure, they will give it a fancy name like a "Texas Ranch Burger" and "chipped home-cut potatoes". Sounds nice eh...? What you actually get is a frozen burger and frozen chips served with two leafs of limp lettuce on the side.

Irish publicans I think have still not realised that Irish people are pretty well
    traveled. They have seen the standards set in other countries. When Irish people come back to dear little old Ireland and get fizzy beer,sh!t food, boneheads standing at the front door of the establishment - the supermarket offering of premium continental beers and cheaper+better food looks much more attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

ICE HOUSE wrote: »
    On a different note but similar same can be said for a lot of restuarants here and owners contineously complaining but even still can get the basics of customer service right.

You're spot on there...

Grunt - "sit there" - then menu thrust under your nose... ...20 mins later disinterested yob rolls up with chewed biro & note pad - "what da ye's want?"

SERVICE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Pubs in the good times used to make a fortune over christmas,wasnt usual to have a €20+ door charge on new years/stephens night.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

No the pub feels professional like they actually care about the service they give.

I don't drink in the toilets either but when cost of maintaining them is embedded into the cost of the pint, I expect them to be clean.

I keed, I keed. I've been to the church, it was all a bit too cavernous and empty for my liking but the jacks were pass remarkably impressive. Quality of the beer didn't knock me out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

finisklin wrote: »

Still, Stephens day wouldn't be the same without going to the pub having a few beers and checking out the totty in there Xmas finery! It has to be the best day for craic in the pub in the calendar year.

haahaa that is so true! :D

Shenshen wrote: »
    (10) Lack of choice

Most pubs seem to serve a maximum of 6 or 7 kinds of beer, and 2 types of wine. And in most pubs, those beers and wines will be exactly the same kind of mass-produced rubbish.

I never understood how a country who likes to drink like the Irish can get by with that little choice... and quality.

I'd love to know the history behind it ..at some point we had some diversity in beers and then presumably it all just went guinness/smithwicks/fizzy pish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

As a Chap that would love my few pints in the pub on a weekend. Would Spend about E100 a week.

My reasons for cutting back Vastly on going to my locals

"My After work Pint on the way home on Friday" (10 Euro)
    A pint or 2 after work on a friday on the way home. (Too worried ill be done for drink driving which happened to a mate of mine on his way home at 6pm he had 2 drinks) Wouldnt dream of it

"My Friday Night Drinks in the local with the lads" (50Euro)
    Instead ill Get 10 cans from the Off licence and have a few drinks myself in the house, maybe put on a bbq (all in 25 Euro)

"Saturday Piss Up after the match drinks" (50 Euro)
    Lot of the lads out of work now, so its beers in one of their houses again

A round now in my local for 2 guys is about 8.70, It Just isnt worth it. Im looking for Value these days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Craft beers and the lack of pubs uptake?

Look at Against the Grain in Dublin.. Pretty much all craft beers.. busy every day of the week...

Exactly. I recall Mulligans in Stoneybatter opening last year. All Irish craft beers on tap, great food and whiskey selection too. The locals came in looking for Guinness, Heino, Bud etc and were baffled that none of them were available. They started grumbling and said the pub would never turn a buck. Never mind the fact the previous owners hadn't turned a buck trying to sell that muck.
    One year on, the pub is Gastropub of the year, and packed out most nights of the week, and this in a semi-suburban location on the Northside. They haven't had to resort to cheapo 3 euro pint offers. Just doing a good job - great beers that you can't get in most other places, plus good food, whiskey and wine, excellent service and a nice ambience.
    There's definitely a role for that kind of pub, as their success and that of Against the Grain, Bull and Castle etc are showing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 141 ✭✭moomooman

I've spent a lot of time in Madrid and found the Cafe bar setup there great, alcohol is pretty much always consumed with some form of food. Coincidence maybe but you also wont get your head kicked in by steaming drunk neanderthals, as actually being drunk is pretty uncool.

Doormen. Having to squeeze between two obese men while they evaluate your worth as a human being and make your entrance as unpleasant as they can gets my night off to a bad start every time. How come I never see this setup in other countries?

The Jax. Reading other comments here made me realise that my locals pis lagoon is a common thing. Since the smoking ban (great idea imo) the reek of pis and the farts has shown up the stale air and filth of the irish pub. How clean are the glasses when the rest of the place is such a dump?

Customer service. Most staff are ok but some havent made the transition from slinging pints of mass produced lager to actually being able to mix drinks. Ask for a Cuba Libre and watch the eye rolling and sighing you get. :rolleyes:

Music. I wouldnt listen to "Now thats what I call music #173" turned up to 11 at home, why would I want to endure it while I'm out for some conversation with friends? I'm sick of having to lipread and scream "WHAT?" as someone bellows into my ear loud enough to cause pain, and still I end up smiling/nodding and just saying "yeah" and hoping for the best...

Sport. Not everyone likes football. Shocking I know, but I dont care who "We" beat or what "We" won. If they were local teams that would be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I'd love to know the history behind it ..at some point we had some diversity in beers and then presumably it all just went guinness/smithwicks/fizzy pish.

Didn't Guinness basically run the local micro-breweries out of town? For a "national symbol", they have a pretty ruthless business history behind them.

It's a cosy cartel now where Diageo and the couple of other drinks suppliers rule the roost with their boring, bland, beers.

Sick of the lack of choice in pubs.

And then this state nanny c**t weighs in:

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-should-the-government-set-a-minimum-price-for-alcohol-188252-Jul2011/

subsidise bikes and tax beer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

moomooman wrote: »
    I've spent a lot of time in Madrid and found the Cafe bar setup there great, alcohol is pretty much always consumed with some form of food. Coincidence maybe but you also wont get your head kicked in by steaming drunk neanderthals, as actually being drunk is pretty uncool.

Sport. Not everyone likes football. Shocking I know, but I dont care who "We" beat or what "We" won. If they were local teams that would be something.

Agreed, visited Madrid a couple of times in the last 9 months to see a (greek) friend and before that visited him in Germany, the cafe scene is fantastic, a bit of food and some beers/wine and a good atmosphere.
    In germany there was a german rugby team with about 40 people drinking in Dusseldorf, they were hammered but all in good spirits and at no stage did they get vulgar/violent a pleasure to see.
    In Madrid i seen once argument and it was over a seat, but it was handbags. The owner bought all involved parties a beer and got another stool for them to sit on.

My own local would very rarely show NFL, but if there is a big game on and i'm there i'll ask them to put it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

leakyboots wrote: »
    Didn't Guinness basically run the local micro-breweries out of town? For a "national symbol", they have a pretty ruthless business history behind them.

It's a cosy cartel now where Diageo and the couple of other drinks suppliers rule the roost with their boring, bland, beers.

Sick of the lack of choice in pubs.

My local publican will tell tales about how the 'porter' to be used for the day was pumped into troughs behind the bar. The Barman would then dip his glass into it and let it settle before giving it to the customer.
    However hands holding cigs would dangle over the counter and be flicked into the trough....if somebody sneezed, it was pot luck what ended up in there etc etc....I think the sealed barrel concept was an easy sell from a customer point of view! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I was in wexford and pint of bulmers and a pint of bud was €8.20

You wouldn't get change from a tenner in Dublin. How is that possible?

Also bought a koppaberg in the czech inn recently and then went literally across the road and it was €1 dearer in Turks head

Someone explain please!

Pubs in the city are generally forced to add a little bit on to cope with extra costs such as rent of premises, higher staff wages. In a lot of pubs in rural areas the premises would be owned by the publican and he won't have as many staff to pay so he can afford to pass on the savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭mvt

And then this state nanny c**t weighs in:

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-should-the-government-set-a-minimum-price-for-alcohol-188252-Jul2011/

subsidise bikes and tax beer.

Its not a tax on beer its setting a minimum price for the sale of alcohol.Theres's a big difference.And the daily carnage on our streets and in our A & E's would suggest this is an idea worth thinking about.

mvt wrote: »
    Its not a tax on beer its setting a minimum price for the sale of alcohol.Theres's a big difference.And the daily carnage on our streets and in our A & E's would suggest this is an idea worth thinking about.

Carnage is it? We better ban cars so while we're at it...and those poxy corpo bikes..bet they're causing their fair share accidents. Might want to set a minumum price - maximum height on high heels. Maybe on trampolines too. And capri suns and all..could have someones eye out with one of them straws.

And anything else some twat thinks that he can use as a stick to beat the general populace into behaving they way he wants to them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Punters are price conscious and want value for money. Publicans are only awakening to that fact now.

Nothing worse than meeting your publican picking up his beer cans/bottles/jameson in your local Tesco or Dunnes at below cost. He then has the cheek to charge you three or four times what he paid for it to you on a Saturday night. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭gk5000

Greed, not just on pub prices but restrictive licence practices; so we had too few pubs, massive superpubs without atmosphere and limited choice of venue or real competition between pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

6. TV is only on for sports. He's doing breakfast for the rugby world cup so people that don't have sky can go early to watch the games.

But the Rugby World Cup isn't on Sky :)

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I personally can't stand carlsberg, heineken, budweiser, harp, coors etc.. so I couldn't justify going to a pub 2 or 3 nights of the weekend to pay pay 5 quid for a pint of this muck when I can brew a far better beer at home for 50cent or buy one from an off-licence for a euro. I do go out at least once a week though for the social aspect only. As long as our goverment and diagio continue to manipulate the market by way of licencing costs, tax and total product domination the Irish pub industry will continue to suffer. What publican in their right mind would consider paying huge set up costs to open a microbrewery pub or one that offers alternative drinks to be told by diagio - sorry get that stuff out of your pub or we won't supply you with guinness... too big a risk having paid all the initial costs so they all end up playing safe with the same old crap drinks on tap. It's a sin.

Most people in Ireland settle for guinness, carlsberg, heineken, budweiser, harp, coors, and couldn't be arsed with anything else, so as long as people don't break away from this trend and stick their middle finger up at diagio there is always going to be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Did somebody mention a while back that a Hooters was opening up down
    in Cork or thereabouts?

Advertisement