Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harmon & Kelly

Options
  • 26-07-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

What do people make of this commentary partnership? Kelly never laughs at Harmon's jokes. Wonder do people find Kelly hard to understand. Personally I don't but I imagine his accent might be hard for some. I think they should give the RAS mc guy a shot. He's.some character.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

While Kelly's analysis is unerringly accurate, his pronunciation, especially of names, is awful. Harmon is ok, imo, probably going against the grain saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

I think this piece of commentary pretty well sums up their partnership.

David Harmon: "why do you suppose Damiano Cunego has never been able to recreate the form from when he won the Giro?"
    Séan Kelly: "it was a different era of cycling then"
    David Harmon: "yes, perhaps, but... *long exposition of possible reasons such as changing diets, conditions, racing tactics and Cunego's reaction to the pressure he has faced since*"
    Séan Kelly: (much, much more firmly) "I said, it was a different era of cycling then"

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

"yis ehh"
    "The Too-er"
    "souper ride by Canchelaara"
    "Contadour looks to be, ehh, on de limit"
    "no, he's coooked"

- how could you not love Kelly's pronunciation!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Kelly knows when not to talk. A rare quality in the world of commentating.

- how could you not love Kelly's pronunciation!

"Del-ahnge is on the attack again."

Who the **** is Delange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

tour de burren this year, ''MC interviewer'' at the start getting a few words from Sean Kelly........

MC
    ''so sean, is carrick on suir, in Tipperary or Waterford ?''

SK
    ''Boath''

end of interview ........:D

Kelly knows when not to talk. A rare quality in the world of commentating.

Which is mostly. :D My daughter remarked last week "Has he [Kelly] woken up? Did he [Harmon] wake him?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I really enjoy listening to Kellys commentary & think him & Harmon work well together!

By the way, I notice all of ye who are complaining about Kellys accent are from the Pale. Stephen Roche popped into the Eurosport crew on a few occassions & I found it harder to understand him than Kelly!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I much prefer them to the breathless drivel from the ITV croud :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Why Séan Kelly is the undisputed king of cycling commentators:
    "Cow shite."

This thread may now be closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I really enjoy listening to Kellys commentary & think him & Harmon work well together!

By the way, I notice all of ye who are complaining about Kellys accent are from the Pale. Stephen Roche popped into the Eurosport crew on a few occassions & I found it harder to understand him than Kelly!

Yeah - Roche was very hard to decipher there on Sunday when he was in doing a little bit of commentary.

I just love Harmon and Kelly's commentary.
    " The Roydhers are in good shape for this too-er" :)

LOL, I don't think the fact that I hail from the pale has anything to do with Kelly's accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

Pherekydes wrote: »
    While Kelly's analysis is unerringly accurate, his pronunciation, especially of names, is awful.

It is. But pro cyclists and team personnel seem to take a very practical approach to speaking foreign languages: they just want to be understood and don't really give a rat's whether their pronunciation is good. This seems to be particularly true of the Flemish. If you've ever heard Bruyneel or Boonen being interviewed in French, or listened to Merckx or De Vlaeminck speaking French and Italian in 'A Sunday in Hell' you'll know what I mean. So perhaps Kelly's attitude to pronunciation is just a reflection of the years he spent living in Flanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

When Kelly talks people should listen as he is usually 100% on the button. Like his insight and knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

At least Kelly didn't say Voykler about 4 million times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I feel sorry for anyone not from Ireland trying to understand Sean Kelly at times. I don't think anyone from Ireland should have a problem with his accent. Years ago maybe but not now.His speech has changed over the years.
    Stephen Roche came from the same postcode as me yet I really have to listen carefully to understand what he says these days. Roche's accent has gotten stronger over the years while Kelly's has gotten softer.

Harmon was grand this year,a few times I thought he over reacted at times when it came to the crashes but I think the Giro was still fresh in his mind.
    Still chapeau to the lads for filling hours upon hours of coverage where nothing was happening to something worth listening to.

Loved Duffield till he lost the plot.Grew up on Liggett+Sherwen but just don't like their style any more. It's probably still the same as it was back in the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

cantalach wrote: »
    It is. But pro cyclists and team personnel seem to take a very practical approach to speaking foreign languages: they just want to be understood and don't really give a rat's whether their pronunciation is good. This seems to be particularly true of the Flemish. If you've ever heard Bruyneel or Boonen being interviewed in French, or listened to Merckx or De Vlaeminck speaking French and Italian in 'A Sunday in Hell' you'll know what I mean. So perhaps Kelly's attitude to pronunciation is just a reflection of the years he spent living in Flanders.

I think Merckx is a native francophone and flemish speaker.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think they are the best around at the moment, in English at least.

Harmon has hours of air to fill so invariably he will be coming out with a lot of waffle. As the "expert co-commentator" Kelly has the luxury of not talking when he doesn't want to. Harmon is infinitely preferable to Carlton Kirby and David Duffield, both of whom make me feel homicidal. Yes occasionlly he gets names wrong, but it's a tough job calling riders when you can barely see their numbers half the time. He does get overly excited on occasion. There were a few times on the Tour when I thought he was actually aroused.

Kelly's analysis is usually spot on. I like the fact he's almost immune to hyperbole.

"So Sean, four hors categorie climbs today, with the final ascent up an unpaved road in 35 degree heat." "Yes, this one is very difficult".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I have read people on UK sites complimenting Kelly on his improvements in commentating and that they find him easier to understand than when he initially started. He has to be better than his into bits on the History of the Tour DVD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I like the two of them together I have to say. I think Harmon at times goes a little ballistic too quickly. Soon as any sort of break starts he is high pitched and whining where as you can feel Kelly just sitting there thinking 'lets give this a minute and see where it goes'. Harmon exploded about 3 or 4 times when Schlek attacked but he was only jumping. Kelly knew the score and didn't say a word and eventually came in with "he's only testing Contodooooor"

The accent doesn't bother me at all, being from outside Dublin I can understand and appreciate that people have different accents. Stephen Roche on the other hand, jesus I didn't catch a single word of it when he was on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Remember when Gay Byrne had Roche and Kelly on the Late Late. He asked them how they dealt with the language barrier in France. "With my broken French and Sean's broken English, we get by," said Roche.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Regardless of whether some (Kellys) are stronger than others, EVERYONE has an accent and its only ever difficult to understand when its different to yours or what your used to. Sure , if you want style over substance, get someone else, but SKs insight into the peleton and tactics etc is excellent and - from what I gather - well appreciated by Eurosport.

You have to love some of his deadpan witticisms. Was it this years Giro or last years Vuelta......? Guy goes on a solo breakaway and isnt caught by the time he crosses the last peak. Cue another rider breaking away from the peleton to try to catch him on the downhill. He makes little progress and lead begins to extend. Harmon goes into a long, drawn-out description of varying downhill styles and techniques offering suggestions of how the second guy might close the gap and after about a minute of this turns to Sean and asks for his opinion on how he might catch the first guy. Cool as anything Sean Kelly replies ..............."just let go of the brakes" :D

I think it was a much a put-down of Harmon as anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭C3PO

Mr Velo wrote: »
    I just love Harmon and Kelly's commentary.
    " The Roydhers are in good shape for this too-er" :)

+1

My old man always said that it's "best to say nothing if you've nothing sensible to say" - I think Kelly also believes that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Much prefer them to Phil and Paul, the Lance fanboys.

Can't remember who, but I remember some years ago someone writing that Paul Sherwen always referred to the Postal/Discovery boys as "loyal lieutenants" and Vino/Ullrich/Contador's team-mates as "the henchmen of Astana/T-mobile". Summed it up perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I put up with Harmon (who's not the worst) to listen to Kelly - he's a bit like Clint Eastwood in the spaghetti westerns- doesn't say a whole lot, but nails it every time he speaks.

The pronunciations are great- my own favourite is "Booooonen"

Roche's words just seem to lean up against one another, it's like there's no spaces!

But for me the best accent in cycling was / is Lydia Roche (Nico's Ma) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm not bothered at all by their pronunciations, it's not elocution or foreign language lessons I tune in for. For the amount of hours they're on air for they fill it well with various stories and antidotes keeping me amused and interested anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Yes any words with an 'ou' together make for funny pronunciation.'Too-er' as taw mentioned is my favourite. Must say I've no probs understanding him. I worked with a fella from 'Naw-van' and that was the most difficult accent I've ever encountered.

He cuts Harmon short when answering questions. You'd be expecting a long answer but get short ones but bang on. Met him in wheelworx in Feb and he's sound as a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

My favorite Kelly - Harmon moment was from a couple of years ago when the peleton was climbing a category 1 climb and Harmon and someone in the studio were banging on about gear rations and choosing the correct one for such a tough climb blah blah blah.....and Harmon asks Kelly what gear ratio he would have selected for that hill......long long pause and then Kelly says 'The one that gets you to the top quickest' Classic Kelly.

Kelly seems to have become more vocal this year compared to previous years. A couple of years ago he said very little, now he talks a lot more. I was quite taken aback during the Giro this year when they were talking about Wouter Weylandt and Kelly started to talk about the death of his brother in a cycling accident, I don't think he would have done that a few years ago.

Hopefully they're doing the Vuelta as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

Sean Kelly is above criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

the "Toor-eh-France" :)
    "Fair Play, Shapo!"

The man's a legend, great to hear opinion and commentary from someone who was there...

Advertisement