Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What JRPG are you currently playing?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's made by Matrix who made the DS versions of FF3, 4 the underated four heroes of light and the ipad game which is really good. They know how to make a good FF game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

One of them is the head off scarlet from ff9 :-D

One more reason to buy a 3ds :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Remember all the fanboy whining that SMT IV didn't have Shoji Meguro as the composer? What a load of guff that was especially when you hear how good the soundtrack is:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Replaying Kingdom Hearts 1 HD for the second time. Can't beat a classic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just started another go at FFX on PS2. Never quite finished it the first time. Wanted a change from GTA, COD, and Minecraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Just started another go at FFX on PS2. Never quite finished it the first time. Wanted a change from GTA, COD, and Minecraft.

it really is a top notch game, terrible voice acting aside.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Ash885 wrote: »
    it really is a top notch game, terrible voice acting aside.

Yes it's brutal :o If I could mute it altogether and keep it text-based like the older ones I would!

The voice acting is grand, there's real talent in the cast. The problem is the script, it's hard to act well with such bad writing.

I am loving the music in it, probably my favourite thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The voice acting is grand, there's real talent in the cast. The problem is the script, it's hard to act well with such bad writing.

I never thought of it like that. Tidus sounded pretty stupid a lot of the time...that could easily have been the voice actor doing the best he could with such a cheesy script.

Fair point ;)

• Advertisement

carbonkid wrote: »
    I never thought of it like that. Tidus sounded pretty stupid a lot of the time...that could easily have been the voice actor doing the best he could with such a cheesy script.

Fair point ;)

When you have people like Tara Strong on your cast struggling with lines then there's something wrong with your script. I can't even blame the localisers for it either. If you look at the japanese voice acting it's quite poor as well, the infamous laughing scene in particular is even worse in japanese! At least it's not all bad, there's a lot of moments when it works but I'd probably chalk them up to good localisation work.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I looked up Tara Strong on IMDB...yea it must be the scripts lol. Hard to believe the laughing scene could be worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

ni no kuni anyone? I mean Miyazaki helped make it, amazing

diograis wrote: »
    ni no kuni anyone? I mean Miyazaki helped make it, amazing

He had nothing to do with it. Ghibli designed the graphics and joe hisashi did the soundtrack but everything else is by level 5 and it shows. The story is the worst thing they have done and the gameplay is dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

woops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I played Ni No Kuni. Definitely worth a shot if your a JRPG fan. It gets addictive very easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

Started Persona 4 Golden last night. 3 hours in...and gripped!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 HarryP.8999

Right now playing Pokémon Y ;)

Also Tales of Eternia for the psp along with Final Fantasy XIII :P all glory to the JRPG!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,218 ✭✭✭✭noodler

carbonkid wrote: »

Fair point ;)

Tidus is the main problem, Yuna to a lesser extent.

I tohught Seymour, Auron, Wakka, Lulu were all very good.

Auron especially.

I don't want Nolan North or Troy Baker to voice every leading man but Tidus VA was a little bit too pre-pubescient.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,218 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I played Ni No Kuni. Definitely worth a shot if your a JRPG fan. It gets addictive very easily.

I'm not sure thats the word I'd use!

I played it, admit it is very good and I thought the story was okay in the end (although it took an absolute age for the payoff).

But major plot developements felt few and far between.

The battle system was decent for me. The boss battles were a satisfying challenge but the whole familar concept seemed overblown to me - there was no real incentive to use familars earned later on in the game, they just took too long to level up to the level of your originals.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Tidus is the main problem, Yuna to a lesser extent.

Again it's not the voice actors fault. It's hard to play a character not as a whiny pre-pubescent teen when he is written as a whiny pre-pubescent teen like Tidus. There's only so much an actor can do with crappy lines.

Just look at the two voice actors that played Tidus (James Aernold Taylor) and Yuna (Hedy Burress) and look at their other roles. They've got some really great parts on their CV.

I'll put it another way, Hedy Burress was the same voice actress that put in a stunning performance as Rosie in Valkyria Chronicles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got vahalla knights 3 for 11.99 the other night and have The new YS game on order from amazon.

Started atelier ayesha tonight

Started atelier ayesha tonight

Enjoy. My friend said it's the best of the ayesha games with a surprisingly moving story.

Enjoy. My friend said it's the best of the ayesha games with a surprisingly moving story.

Ya so far so good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Started playing The World Ends With You again while I wait for Freedom Wars to be delivered, forgot how good it is.

Xenji wrote: »
    Started playing The World Ends With You again while I wait for Freedom Wars to be delivered, forgot how good it is.

You getting that from japan ?

You getting that from japan ?

Yeah ordered it off of AmiAmi for about €50.

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah ordered it off of AmiAmi for about €50.

If I could speak japanese, I'd be ordering a lot of games :pac:

• Advertisement

If I could speak japanese, I'd be ordering a lot of games :pac:

Would not say I am fluent, but I can get the gist of things.

Advertisement