Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRR Tolkien..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I just finished Lotr.
    I thought it was a great read. The mythology alone which Tolkien created is amazing.

I have to say I thought Bombadil was an intriguing character to say the least.

I'm not sure if I will read any of his other books?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

If you look in the appendices at the back of the book, look for 'the tale of aragorn and arwen'. It's only 11 pages of so but its really beautiful and what the film went off for their story. Naturally the version in the book is so much better. Well worth reading.

david75 wrote: »
    If you look in the appendices at the back of the book, look for 'the tale of aragorn and arwen'. It's only 11 pages of so but its really beautiful and what the film went off for their story. Naturally the version in the book is so much better. Well worth reading.

I have the appendices as book 7 in the version I have.
    Is it worth reading the whole thing?

theres a lot of stuff in there..depends what youre interested in, but its worth going through i think

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Tolkien was a literary and linguistic genius!! The man created (off the top of my head) 22 new languages... With grammar, vocabulary, tenses & proper structure... He brought to life while new races of beings with culture & history...
    He is the very meaning of the words character development, plot development, history & lore! '
    He was the Granddaddy of not just fantasy but epic fiction as we know it today!!
    TLOTR spanned two world wars!!
    I am in totally awe of that amazing man & what he achieved...
    He broke ground, raised the bar, and set the trail for almost every genre of writing that exists today!
    Give that man a Knight hood (posthumously of course!!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

anyone else curious what ancappaildorcha ended up thinking of the books?

Sounds to me like he gave up. And just re read this whole thread and saddened and wondering how many people were either turned off Tolkien by the films(either trilogy) or will simply never read them because the films were enough for them?

It's a shame either way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

david75 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like he gave up. And just re read this whole thread and saddened and wondering how many people were either turned off Tolkien by the films(either trilogy) or will simply never read them because the films were enough for them?

It's a shame either way
    I've had that argument with a guild member who complained the books were not enough like the movies... A lot of hrm heated debate from that point on...

I walk off when I hear that. Those kinds of people are best avoided.
    (Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience)

To be fair after reading them all during the summer and looking back on them now there were some pretty boring descriptive passages.
    I can see why someone would get fed up.

Worth persevering with though definitely because the good parts are well worth reading.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Believe it or not, I finished the books. I always see a book through once I start so not finishing it was simply out of the question. Given how my original comments went down I didn't think anyone would be bothered about my opinion any more.

As I said, I finished it. It improved quite a lot towards the end. I'm judging it as a novel btw. The padded out stuff about elves, how pretty Galadriel is and the other guff dissipated meaning that I could read the story which was quite enjoyable towards the end. I don't think I'll ever re-read them but I'm glad I have before watching the films which are quite good though with some odd decisions.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd agree there's a lot of chaff the books could lose... but at the same time they'd lose some of what makes them what they are if you did. LOTR without all the elves singing and whatnot would just be the movies. (I loved those, but movies =/= books).

Somewhat similar to The Name of the Rose, which I read some years back. That book had a lot of tangential crap in it, but the core mystery and setting were so real you forgive all the meanderings.

Probably have to take into account as well that in a way more than a novel was created,a comprehensive mythology.

So Christopher Tolkien has resigned from the Tolkien estate, Amazon are developing a tv series set between the hobbit and LOTR and it looks like other things are in development. Silmarillion series anyone?
    https://www.facebook.com/TheOneRingnet/posts/10155512767359821

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mariner king anyone?

Love to see ancapailldorcha's thought o the silmarillion, lost tales etc :pac:
    I read all these ass a teen and what I really loved about these works is that a world was created, not just a specific story set in a world like most books.
    It is immense and almost real, as in I could wonder now about what was happening in Gondor or Hobbiton or somewhere and have a good idea because of how well he described every damn thing and genuinely created that world.

Advertisement