Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Long Lane Letterkenny

Options
  • 24-07-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi we're thinking of moving to Hazelbrook Cresent, Long Lane.

Can anyone advise if its a good estate to live? Is it safe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

One word.

NO!!!

EDIT: Anyone who tells you different is lying. Doubt there will be anyone who will though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

I would avoid Long Lane entirely, it's a pretty unsafe area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 speedos

really is it still very bad? This estate is at the top of Long Lane, its not meadowbank which I know to avoid.

Can you explain why its a bad area?

ALOT of undesirable people.

I'm not getting any details here. Why is it a bad area though? How are they "undesirable people"? Can you share some details of what you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,837 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Be very careful with what you post here people. PM the OP if necessary.

Thanks

My friend lives directly across from Hazelbrook Cresent and he says it's in fact the worst part of Long Lane. And getting worse.

<SNIP> .

Thanks Muffler, I appreciate your warning. I'm not looking for racist or offensive remarks, I looking for a genuine opinion of the area from someone who knows, but with some actual details.

Thanks Paul.

Muffler, can you PM me what was snipped from Paul's comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,837 ✭✭✭✭muffler

speedos wrote: »
    Muffler, can you PM me what was snipped from Paul's comment?
    No, Im sorry I cant because (a) the idea of removing it was not to have it viewable by the public and (b) I would fall foul of the site Admins for doing so.

Nothing to stop Paul from sending the comments by PM though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

To put it vague enough that no one is discriminated against, the council bought a lot of houses in Meadowbank/Ard na ri/Fairgreen and put "Undesirable" individuals in them, and since then a lot more undesirables have moved themselves near those particular estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Hi we're thinking of moving to Hazelbrook Cresent, Long Lane.

Can anyone advise if its a good estate to live? Is it safe?
    Flibbles wrote: »
    I would avoid Long Lane entirely, it's a pretty unsafe area.
    really is it still very bad? This estate is at the top of Long Lane, its not meadowbank which I know to avoid.

Can you explain why its a bad area?

Wheres your sense of adventure hey ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

a friend of mine is a Garda in Letterkenny, they are continually called out to that area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MugenSi

Thanks Muffler, I appreciate your warning. I'm not looking for racist or offensive remarks, I looking for a genuine opinion of the area from someone who knows, but with some actual details.

Giving actual details can be construed as slander/racism/whatever without proof (which is impossible to provide in an internet forum)Having lived in Letterkenny for the last 26years i would advise you to take heed of what is being said and look elsewhere, there are countless other houses for sale/rent in other areas.However if you are unwilling to listen to the advice (that you asked for) then maybe the fact that the vast majority of recent burglaries in letterkenny happen in that area and have happened when people are actually in their houses and on some occassions have actually encountered the burglars in their kitchens etc etc may give you food for thought *there have been several articles in the local newspapers over the last few months and the topic comes up for mention at local council meetings on a regular basis....which i'm assuming are part of public record if you want to actually see it for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

If you have any choice at all, don't do it! A gang of children (I think the youngest was 3!) kicked a puppy to death there earlier this year. Imagine what their parents are capable of...

Sorry, I stand corrected, the youngest in the gang was 5.

http://irelandspitbulls.friendhood.net/t1451-young-puppy-kicked-to-death-by-donegal-kids

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

+ 1 for all the advice given already.

Your question has been answered. Letterkenny has many other areas with vacant accommodation available for rent. If you are concerned about the safety and well being of yourself and your property consider living elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

I live in the long lane, my parents have lived there for 25 years. Not all of the long lane is troublesome, but in saying that when we were looking to rent we viewed a few houses in hazelbrook and we wouldn't live there. If you drive around the estate in the evening you can get a good indication of what it is like, a lot of the properties are in very bad condition as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hazelbrook must have gone down hill fast since I moved out of Letterkenny, lived in Hazelbrook around 2002 for a about a year, and around other parts of Letterkenny for a few years afterwards.

Parts of Long Lane were not great then but it was mainly contained around the lower end and Meadowbank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

At the moment the Long Lane area is considered undesirable. When I was growing up 2 different areas where considered undesirable but now are excellent, quiet areas to live in.
    What I am saying is that these things go round areas particularly when certain age groups live in an area. As these people grow up and mature, things tend to calm down. So moving into a quiet area now is fine, but be careful as it could go downhill in the future. There is another area in the town which at the moment is very quiet and gives no trouble but it looks like a time bomb ready to explode. I was visiting my friend in this area and to say the children where unrulely would be an understatement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I lived in lower long lane for 5 years and never had one days trouble. I know a couple that live in hazelbrook and they say tge estate is a bit rough, but nobody troubles them. They don't feel their safety is in any danger either. Some of the comments here are over the top completely. It's rough all right up there but its not dangerous. In saying all that, if you have kids is choose somewhere else. I wouldn't want mine playing up there. I was visiting there this evenin.g and there were 3 young boys pushing some kind of concrete block across the entrance to hazelbrook. My safety wasn't at risk, but ****ed if is let my daughter out to play with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Yourpics, where are you referring to? Pm if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

There's been plenty in the Donegal News and Letterkenny Post about the Fairgreen Hill and Ard Na Ri estates at the top of Long Lane in the last couple of weeks.
    Couple this with the kids kicking a dog to death some months ago on Long Lane, plus the dubious reputation that Meadowbank has had since way back, and I'd consider that part of the town to be the last place I'd wish to move into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Pique wrote: »
    There's been plenty in the Donegal News and Letterkenny Post about the Fairgreen Hill and Ard Na Ri estates at the top of Long Lane in the last couple of weeks.
    Couple this with the kids kicking a dog to death some months ago on Long Lane, plus the dubious reputation that Meadowbank has had since way back, and I'd consider that part of the town to be the last place I'd wish to move into.
    Im sure i read somewhere since that the kids kickin the dogs to death story was a hoax!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

oranbhoy67 wrote:
    Im sure i read somewhere since that the kids kickin the dogs to death story was a hoax!
    meh, there was a story that the dog was already hit by a car and THEN the kids were kicking it around. Sounds much better, huh?

No, it wasn't a hoax. There is a link about it on Donegal Pet Rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

annascott wrote: »
    No, it wasn't a hoax. There is a link about it on Donegal Pet Rescue.

It wasnt a hoax but it wasnt factual, the dog was examined by a vet and he stated that it had died as a result of injuries after being hit by car, the kids were then seen kicking it about the place. It may have been still alive when they were kicking it about but i'm not sure.

It was typical sensationalising of a small story by a small time reporter that got blown out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

well to get back on topic ayway theres folk on here talkin about places in letterkenny as if its the bronx.. at the end of the day theres a few kids hanging about these places nothing more nothing less.. some people need to get out and see the world a bit see some real poverty & rough areas

CJC999 wrote: »
    It wasnt a hoax but it wasnt factual, the dog was examined by a vet and he stated that it had died as a result of injuries after being hit by car, the kids were then seen kicking it about the place. It may have been still alive when they were kicking it about but i'm not sure.

It was typical sensationalising of a small story by a small time reporter that got blown out of proportion.

Small story? These children should have been taken in for psychological assessment!

They may not be carrying guns, and I'm sure it hasn't got Dolphin's Barn crime statistics (yet~) but in relation to Letterkenny, it is probably the worst place to be. I am assuming that the OP doesn't know LK and needs to be warned about council estates. There are often houses in them advertised for private rental, without warning. Once the unsuspecting tennant pays his deposit, it is too late...

• Advertisement

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    well to get back on topic ayway theres folk on here talkin about places in letterkenny as if its the bronx.. at the end of the day theres a few kids hanging about these places nothing more nothing less.. some people need to get out and see the world a bit see some real poverty & rough areas

Why don't you go live there then? It is not just 'a few kids hanging about'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement