Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork v Mayo All Ireland Quarter Final - Discussion

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

I didn't say you were both from Galway, I said ye were both from Limerick and living in Galway. Also the fact that leonidas83 is on your boards' friends list made me wonder if there is more to this than just you jumping into a random thread and complaining about some randomer you don't know being banned. Do you often go into other threads and complain about random people you don't know being banned?

Also you seem to have trouble using the search function. This post shows where the trolling started, mr leonidas83 professing his hope that mayo would get 'walloped'.

I appreciate that this post is probably against the forum charter but transparency is always a good thing

Asked me to be his friend after reading my posts tonight,what can I say I am a friendly guy,he probably appreciated a bit of support.I am a big GAA fan and actually have family ties to the Mayo manager James Horan,hence that is why I have been following this thread since it began.I think if you go back further than the link you posted you will see where the inflammatory posts started.

Oh and by the way you are the one saying I am from Limerick......I never did.
    Not from there,think you put two and two together and have come up with something completely wrong.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

LimGal wrote: »
    Asked me to be his friend after reading my posts tonight,what can I say I am a friendly guy,he probably appreciated a bit of support.I am a big GAA fan and actually have family ties to the Mayo manager James Horan,hence that is why I have been following this thread since it began.I think if you go back further than the link you posted you will see where the inflammatory posts started.

Not from there,think you put two and two together and have come up with something completely wrong.

Welcome to the thread, do you want to comment on the thread re Mayo or Cork?
    Plenty of my mates from Galway were rooting for us, was great to see :D

yop wrote: »
    Welcome to the thread, do you want to comment on the thread re Mayo or Cork?
    Plenty of my mates from Galway were rooting for us, was great to see :D

Would love to comment on the Mayo v Cork,thanks for asking!
    Great result for Mayo yesterday,really didnt see it coming!
    Unfortunately thou I think that Mr.Horan and his charges wont get passed Kerry.
    Although Id say it will be alot closer than what some people are already saying.

Saw alot of people rooting for Mayo yesterday as well but I'll think you will find that if you asked the majority of them that is as far as they would like to see them go!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Thanks for the clarification. Although I wonder why someone with family ties to James Horan would want to be friends with a randomer with such disdain for Mayo. I didn't see any inflammatory posts before my link, all I saw was other users disagreeing with the poster in question. You can provide quotes to the contrary if you want but I won't be bothering with this anymore.

Thanks for the clarification. Although I wonder why someone with family ties to James Horan would want to be friends with a randomer with such disdain for Mayo. I didn't see any inflammatory posts before my link, all I saw was other users disagreeing with the poster in question. You can provide quotes to the contrary if you want but I won't be bothering with this anymore.

Maybe the disdain is only for the Mayo people in this thread?Doubt the lad has some complete hatred towards the whole county of Mayo!Twas quite a sweeping generalisation Mr.Spider!!

Sorry was just looking back thru the thread now and see that the abuse started when blackjack said seriously do you even understand how sport works?Now in my book that would be a pretty inflammatory post to someone who has just said in his previous reply that he had been at the Connaacht final!I highly doubt that he was there just to look at the nice young men running around in their shorts:rolleyes:

P.S. Any time for the clarification;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

bruschi wrote: »
    where were they understrength outside of the forward line?

Cork are under strength in defence also,when they play the likes of Noel O'Leary, Cadogan and Shields in the same team. these guys are simply no where near top class inter-county footballers,how Shields got an all-star last year i will never know.
    but this should not take from Mayo's fine display. time to "box clever" now V Kerry. hard decisions will be needed by Horan. Jack O'Connor WILL have his homework done.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Maybe the disdain is only for the Mayo people in this thread?Doubt the lad has some complete hatred towards the whole county of Mayo!Twas quite a sweeping generalisation Mr.Spider!!
    leonidas83 wrote: »
    give me Limerick city anyday over that hole ye call Castlebar or any of those dives around it

That's where my sweeping generalisation came from LimGal, posts like the above.
    Sorry was just looking back thru the thread now and see that the abuse started when blackjack said seriously do you even understand how sport works?Now in my book that would be a pretty inflammatory post to someone who has just said in his previous reply that he had been at the Connaacht final!I highly doubt that he was there just to look at the nice young men running around in their shorts:rolleyes:

P.S. Any time for the clarification;)

He got called up on why he thought Roscommon deserved to win against Mayo and instead he went on a tirade. Anyways it's gettin late! That's enough cyber-investigation for one night, enjoy the rest of the matches!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Jesus Christ lads! It's like watching feckin CSI,with people trying to find out who's guilty about saying what. To be honest,it's doing my f*&#ing head in! Let's get back to football and enjoy the craic. Well,anyhoo, Kerry will be a big challenge but I won't write Mayo off yet. Most of the players from both sides who were involved in the games a few years ago are either retired or too long in the tooth for 70 minutes. Mayo might just pull off another shocker. It's going to be an entertaining match to say the least..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

blackjack said seriously do you even understand how sport works?Now in my book that would be a pretty inflammatory post to someone who has just said in his previous reply that he had been at the Connaacht final!I highly doubt that he was there just to look at the nice young men running around in their shorts:rolleyes:

Not going to get into this. The below is what I quoted in the post you refer to. I don't think there was anything wrong in my question to the poster. It would remain quite valid after yesterdays results also.

leonidas83 wrote: »
    I was at the Connacht final and i thought Mayo were quite lucky for a number of reasons.
    - Roscommon's manager getting his tactics completely wrong and persisting with a short passing game instead of kicking long to Kilbride and Shine who would have done alot of damage with their height, etc. to a relative poor Mayo defence
    - Although the weather was bad in the first half of the match, i have rarely seen the likes of it in the second half when Roscommon were playing against it, to say there was gael force winds would be an understatement, thats more of a reasonable explanation for Roscommon only scoring two points than Mayo's defending

I live in Connacht myself so I wish them the best of luck but i think they will be well beaten by Cork on the day

Thats all I have to say on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Blackjack wrote: »
    Hmmm.... where are they all now?.

Congratulations to Mayo. If the Dubs can't win the AI, I hope they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Apologies to mods as I may be off subject but just wondering what way you guys think the championship will finish up.Bookies seem to have it about right.The Kingdom seem to be the stand out team remaining,although I do have some reservations.They've a lot of mileage up,not too sure the backs have the legs,Brosnan does'nt seem to fit the bill at centre half back.They can definitely be run at.Sheehan in fine form,ditto Darren O Sullivan,may be a huge loss for the semi.Yet the fact remains they've by far the best forwards left in the championship.

The Dubs have great potential,it's do or die this year(like every year).They've the best goalkeeper in country,a flakey defence,an outstanding forward in Bernard Brogan,Alan's pretty good too.Connolly has great potential,O Gara a bit of a headless chicken.They could have lost against a very good Kildare side and Wexford,like they did in the league fina,threw it away me thinksl.Do they have the killer instinct and will they implode in the potentially advantageous/hindrance cauldron of massive home support in Croker/the Hill?

Jury is out on Tyrone for me,everybody is talking them up,not totally sure on what basis this hype is justified,past records?Certainly the old guard Kavanagh,McGuigan etc have picked it up and the young ones Kyle Coney etc are stepping up to the mark.But I think the Dubs may squeeze past them.I think they need it more.

Donegal have always had very naturally gifted footballers with preponderance towards short hand passing,discipline has let them down in the past.Murphy,Mcfadden,Toye etc are natural forwards,Lacey,Cassidy are fine defenders.They've a fine young manager in Jimmy McGuinness,yet I think the final is beyond them.

As for my beloved Green and Red,we played very well yesterday,as somebody posted,Mayo were more physical/less of the nice guy mentality and great pace about them.Many reservations though,Cork ran through the full back line with a remarkable ease in the first 15 minutes,Cafferkey and Higgins were in big trouble.Cork ceased the successful tactic of the long ball into O Connor,Lynch and Kerrigan.Cork appeared leggy,Mayo much fresher.Very concerned re all the ball turned over in the tackle/possession kicked away especially in the crucial 15 minutes when the game was in the melting pot.Love to put the Kingdom to the sword but fear our young lads may fall short.I've huge psychological scares post those 3 All Ireland defeats,hope I do not transmit any negative energy to our lads,they are young enough largely to be unaffected.Hopefully the Kingdom will think they only have to show up.James Horan has done a great job in a successful year,anything more will be a bonus.Doubt he'll be thinking like that.Predicting Kerry Dublin final,Kerry to win.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

seligehgit wrote: »
    Apologies to mods as I may be off subject but just wondering what way you guys think the championship will finish up.Bookies seem to have it about right.The Kingdom seem to be the stand out team remaining,although I do have some reservations.They've a lot of mileage up,not too sure the backs have the legs,Brosnan does'nt seem to fit the bill at centre half back.They can definitely be run at.Sheehan in fine form,ditto Darren O Sullivan,may be a huge loss for the semi.Yet the fact remains they've by far the best forwards left in the championship.The Dubs have great potential,it's do or die this year(like every year).They've the best goalkeeper in country,a flakey defence,an outstanding forward in Bernard Brogan,Alan's pretty good too.Connolly has great potential,O Gara a bit of a headless chicken.They could have lost against a very good Kildare side and Wexford,like they did in the league fina,threw it away me thinksl.Do they have the killer instinct and will they implode in the potentially advantageous/hindrance cauldron of massive home support in Croker/the Hill?Jury is out on Tyrone for me,everybody is talking them up,not totally sure on what basis this hype is justified,past records?Certainly the old guard Kavanagh,McGuigan etc have picked it up and the young ones Kyle Coney etc are stepping up to the mark.But I think the Dubs may squeeze past them.I think they need it more.Donegal have always had very naturally gifted footballers with preponderance towards short hand passing,discipline has let them down in the past.Murphy,Mcfadden,Toye etc are natural forwards,Lacey,Cassidy are fine defenders.They've a fine young manager in Jimmy McGuinness,yet I think the final is beyond them.As for my beloved Green and Red,we played very well yesterday,as somebody posted,Mayo were more physical/less of the nice guy mentality and great pace about them.Many reservations though,Cork ran through the full back line with a remarkable ease in the first 15 minutes,Cafferkey and Higgins were in big trouble.Cork ceased the successful tactic of the long ball into O Connor,Lynch and Kerrigan.Cork appeared leggy,Mayo much fresher.Very concerned re all the ball turned over in the tackle/possession kicked away especially in the crucial 15 minutes when the game was in the melting pot.Love to put the Kingdom to the sword but fear our young lads may fall short.I've huge psychological scares post those 3 All Ireland defeats,hope I do not transmit any negative energy to our lads,they are young enough largely to be unaffected.Hopefully the Kingdom will think they only have to show up.James Horan has done a great job in a successful year,anything more will be a bonus.Doubt he'll be thinking like that.Predicting Kerry Dublin final,Kerry to win.

2b_press-return-or-enter.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Longranger wrote: »
    Jesus Christ lads! It's like watching feckin CSI,with people trying to find out who's guilty about saying what. To be honest,it's doing my f*&#ing head in! Let's get back to football and enjoy the craic. Well,anyhoo, Kerry will be a big challenge but I won't write Mayo off yet. Most of the players from both sides who were involved in the games a few years ago are either retired or too long in the tooth for 70 minutes. Mayo might just pull off another shocker. It's going to be an entertaining match to say the least..

2006 final was entertaining to a point, there was something like 5 goals in the first half and it looked like Mayo might get back into the game. Brady played a horse of a game and O'Neill was our only forward to show up.

But unfortunately it was entertaining for the wrong reasons if you were a Mayo fan. Kerry marched through the defence for the goals. I think that was the problem with Mickey Moran's approach, he tried to play open entertaining football, but it was too open and Kerry exploited that, scoring those first half goals.

If we can stop Kerry scoring goals, I think we might have some chance. 3 attacks lead to 3 goals, and that was them 9 points clear, and we never got that back again. Now if it was 3 attacks, 3 points, we would have been still in that game.

Pack the defence and the full back line, let them shoot from 40 yards out if they want. So what if they go 3 or 4 points up early. It's better than going 3 or 4 goals up and the game being over for us as happened in 2004 and 2006.

Then try win a bit of possession in midfield, take our own scores and stay in there. As long as we don't concede more than one goal, we should be grand.

Easier said than done against Kerry I know...but we need to park the bus on front of the goal to use a Mourinho term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

seligehgit wrote: »
    Apologies to mods as I may be off subject but just wondering what way you guys think the championship will finish up.Bookies seem to have it about right.The Kingdom seem to be the stand out team remaining,although I do have some reservations.They've a lot of mileage up,not too sure the backs have the legs,Brosnan does'nt seem to fit the bill at centre half back.They can definitely be run at.Sheehan in fine form,ditto Darren O Sullivan,may be a huge loss for the semi.Yet the fact remains they've by far the best forwards left in the championship.The Dubs have great potential,it's do or die this year(like every year).They've the best goalkeeper in country,a flakey defence,an outstanding forward in Bernard Brogan,Alan's pretty good too.Connolly has great potential,O Gara a bit of a headless chicken.They could have lost against a very good Kildare side and Wexford,like they did in the league fina,threw it away me thinksl.Do they have the killer instinct and will they implode in the potentially advantageous/hindrance cauldron of massive home support in Croker/the Hill?Jury is out on Tyrone for me,everybody is talking them up,not totally sure on what basis this hype is justified,past records?Certainly the old guard Kavanagh,McGuigan etc have picked it up and the young ones Kyle Coney etc are stepping up to the mark.But I think the Dubs may squeeze past them.I think they need it more.Donegal have always had very naturally gifted footballers with preponderance towards short hand passing,discipline has let them down in the past.Murphy,Mcfadden,Toye etc are natural forwards,Lacey,Cassidy are fine defenders.They've a fine young manager in Jimmy McGuinness,yet I think the final is beyond them.As for my beloved Green and Red,we played very well yesterday,as somebody posted,Mayo were more physical/less of the nice guy mentality and great pace about them.Many reservations though,Cork ran through the full back line with a remarkable ease in the first 15 minutes,Cafferkey and Higgins were in big trouble.Cork ceased the successful tactic of the long ball into O Connor,Lynch and Kerrigan.Cork appeared leggy,Mayo much fresher.Very concerned re all the ball turned over in the tackle/possession kicked away especially in the crucial 15 minutes when the game was in the melting pot.Love to put the Kingdom to the sword but fear our young lads may fall short.I've huge psychological scares post those 3 All Ireland defeats,hope I do not transmit any negative energy to our lads,they are young enough largely to be unaffected.Hopefully the Kingdom will think they only have to show up.James Horan has done a great job in a successful year,anything more will be a bonus.Doubt he'll be thinking like that.Predicting Kerry Dublin final,Kerry to win.

Ah man that was hard to read.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

washman3 wrote: »
    Cork are under strength in defence also,when they play the likes of Noel O'Leary, Cadogan and Shields in the same team. these guys are simply no where near top class inter-county footballers,how Shields got an all-star last year i will never know.
    but this should not take from Mayo's fine display. time to "box clever" now V Kerry. hard decisions will be needed by Horan. Jack O'Connor WILL have his homework done.;)

you dont understand my point. It was said that Cork were under strength, and particularily in the forward line, and thus was a contribution to them losing. If a team is under strength, it generally means they are missing players, which Cork were.

If cork are poor in other areas of the field, then they arent under strength, they are weak, or bad in those areas. Its not as if they had other players to come in and take up those positions. thats a separate issue.

I'd agree to a point, that some of Corks backs are weak. Shields can get exposed when faced one on one, especially if a player turns inside him.

You also made a point earlier that Andy Moran is vastly over rated. To be honest, I dont know anyone that rates him that highly to be considered over rated, so I dont know how he is that. he is a fine footballer that can produce great performances, but its rare to hear anyone go on about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Anyway a few days on and the pain has eased slightly. What I took away from the game are:

- We lost fair and square. No dodgy referering decisions or anything like that. And Conor Counihan in his post match interview, always a gentleman, reflected this.

- This loss does not spell the end of the era for Cork Football. We have plenty of players (who were injured) and more coming through to be involved in the business end of Chamionship for the next few years. (Hopefully)

- We wouldn't have beaten Kerry this year in the semi final. Loosing to Kerry would be tougher to take than loosing to Mayo. With no disrespect to Mayo, we will get over this. Loosing to Kerry again would just be too tough for us.

To Mayo, I'd say fantastic performance. Well done. Tactically ye outplayed us throughout the field. Job done.

Your supporters were fantastic, bar the usual few but you get them everywhere.

Are ye capable of beating Kerry. Yes - but ye'll need to adapt to a far superior forward line than what Cork had the last day. However at midfield and up front, ye have what it takes to give them a good game. It all comes down to the tactics used to counteract O'Sullivan, Gooch, Donaghy (and the rest of the forwards).

So whilst it tough - I'll remain positive. Cork Football has given me the opportunity to be in Croker in August (and September) for many of the past few years, and even brought Sam back to the banks once. We have a young team, and many coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Great performance by Mayo on Sunday - they seem to have gotten their defensive game right as they only allowed Cork to score 1 point in the whole of the second half. They also had a number of chances to put the game to bed earlier on in the second half, but failed to do so. They will want to remedy this before they play the kingdom.

I wouldn't see this as the end for this Cork team - they got the holy grail last year, so there was a big chance that no matter how cool they played it over the winter, the celebrations were always going to be more that if it was their second or third of the decade. They will be the team to watch next year I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭conlufc

Colm R wrote: »
    Anyway a few days on and the pain has eased slightly. What I took away from the game are:

- We lost fair and square. No dodgy referering decisions or anything like that. And Conor Counihan in his post match interview, always a gentleman, reflected this.

- This loss does not spell the end of the era for Cork Football. We have plenty of players (who were injured) and more coming through to be involved in the business end of Chamionship for the next few years. (Hopefully)

- We wouldn't have beaten Kerry this year in the semi final. Loosing to Kerry would be tougher to take than loosing to Mayo. With no disrespect to Mayo, we will get over this. Loosing to Kerry again would just be too tough for us.

To Mayo, I'd say fantastic performance. Well done. Tactically ye outplayed us throughout the field. Job done.

Your supporters were fantastic, bar the usual few but you get them everywhere.

Are ye capable of beating Kerry. Yes - but ye'll need to adapt to a far superior forward line than what Cork had the last day. However at midfield and up front, ye have what it takes to give them a good game. It all comes down to the tactics used to counteract O'Sullivan, Gooch, Donaghy (and the rest of the forwards).

So whilst it tough - I'll remain positive. Cork Football has given me the opportunity to be in Croker in August (and September) for many of the past few years, and even brought Sam back to the banks once. We have a young team, and many coming through.

Im from mayo and I'd like to compliment the way the cork supporters took defeat at the final whistle. Wasn't a bad word said after the game.
    I was quietly confident we could beat cork. To beat kerry the tactics in my opinion shouldnt be changed to drastically. The man for man marking by the mayo backs was a joy to watch after seeing the blanket defence employed in saturdays game. the o'shea's at midfield were outstanding as were the mayo forwards who hassled the cork defenders all day when they didnt have the ball.
    My man of the match goes to trevor Mortimer, with Moran a close second..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sorry lads,never heard of paragraphs and my ENTER key is broken!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

washman3 wrote: »

those three are very near the top of inter county defenders. Shields has kept tabs on the Gooch, Brogan, Coulter pretty much all of the top forwards in the game and done well on them. He struggled with Moran last weekend through a combination of Moran's ability and the quality of ball being played in.

Cadogan has shown his abilites also, was a major factor in the comeback over Dublin last year and again this year in the second half in Kilarney.

Noel O'Leary is often given the job of taking care of Martin Clarke and Paul Galvin not exactly the easiest of tasks and has done so with aplomb.

If I were signalling out the weaker of Cork's backs it would be Paudie Kissane and Graham Canty

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭PhosphoricAcid

unknown13 wrote: »
    Cork are going to demolish Mayo. They are a much better team and are going to win by a comfortable margin.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Typical Dubs GAA followers, never give Mayo any credit. Proved yous all wrong by producing the BEST team display by any team in Championship so far. Mayo were unlucky to only win by four in some ways too, Cork's peno was soft, Morans free could have easily been given as a peno, Mayo had a fair few more scoring chances than Cork too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

The revolution may have ended yesterday but this is where I think it started.

Time for a new dawn.

Edit: Reading through this thread now, it's hilarious. Half the posters are banned :D

Advertisement