Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 on 252!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

marno21 wrote: »
    If RTE are genuinely serious about keeping 252 on air until 2017 they would want to return 252 to an acceptable level.

Tonight in Western Europe 153, 162, 177, 183, 189, 198, 207, 216, 225, 234, 243, 261 and 270 are all carrying intelligable audio. The only unintelligable stations are 252 which is carrying a mixture of Irish and Algerian audio and 270 which is carrying a mixture of Bulgarian and Turkiminstaniese (?) audio, which is understandable considering the distance from the TX's involved. If Antenna's post about DRM means that Chaine 3 will be continuing DRM tests then RTE would want to be restoring decent power for reception to be good for all.

Meanwhile 567 is only carrying a weak Russian signal. ...
    Even if RTE were to restore full power, the difference in signal would not be enough to counter the interference from Algeria.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    They can't? So, a 1988 mast was deliberately designed to have less of a life than Lisnagarvey in 1936 (to say nothing of Athlone in 1932)?

Would be fascinated to see your source for that assertion.

You do understand the difference between a 99 meter mast and a 248 meter mast, don't you?
    You do understand the difference in not just the height but also the construction of these masts, don't you?

Or are just a troll?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They can't? So, a 1988 mast was deliberately designed to have less of a life than Lisnagarvey in 1936 (to say nothing of Athlone in 1932)?

Would be fascinated to see your source for that assertion.

They're not identical masts for starters so no valid comparison can be made. One is over twice as high too.

The older something gets the more maintenance it requires, particularly something the can corrode

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There won't ever be an "equivalent" of longwave though.

Exactly. Nothing can provide the same coverage area, reception indoors and out on cheap portable sets and in cars, without data charges or being tied to a TV aerial or satellite dish.

Given the cost of keeping it on is not astronomical, I think LW should be kept and it should be restored back to its proper power level and/or moved away from the Algeria frequency. If RTE aren't willing to cover the cost of what is mostly a service for emigrants, then the DFA should, imho.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Exactly. Nothing can provide the same coverage area, reception indoors and out on cheap portable sets and in cars, without data charges or being tied to a TV aerial or satellite dish.

Given the cost of keeping it on is not astronomical, I think LW should be kept and it should be restored back to its proper power level and/or moved away from the Algeria frequency. If RTE aren't willing to cover the cost of what is mostly a service for emigrants, then the DFA should, imho.

RTÉ isn't unique it seems in rowing back from terminating long wave quickly; this regarding a Polish radio station that has decided not to cancel its LW service due to its accessibility abroad for expatriates.

http://swldxbulgaria.blogspot.ie/2014/12/polish-radio-wont-terminate-its.html?m=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

RTÉ isn't unique it seems in rowing back from terminating long wave quickly; this regarding a Polish radio station that has decided not to cancel its LW service due to its accessibility abroad for expatriates.

But that article says they get 40% of their audience via long wave. If RTE were getting that they wouldn't switch it off either.

http://swldxbulgaria.blogspot.ie/2014/12/polish-radio-wont-terminate-its.html?m=1
    If i understand that blog correctly, there is no rowback as there never was an intention to terminate their LW service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    You do understand the difference between a 99 meter mast and a 248 meter mast, don't you?
    You do understand the difference in not just the height but also the construction of these masts, don't you?

Or are just a troll?

There is no need for you to be so rude and impolite towards another person's point of view whether or not the person in question is correct or incorrect on the technical aspects of the debate - it still is no excuse. :(

If you could have the manners to convey your opinions without attempting to label those who have different views to yourself in such negative terms as well in your closing sentence.:(

RTÉ isn't unique it seems in rowing back from terminating long wave quickly

Our neighbours across the Irish Sea and the UK's national public service broadcasting service, the BBC attempted to shut down BBC Radio 4 on Longwave 198KHz broadcasting frequency a number of years ago but after a major outcry from those who relied a lot on the Radio 4 LW broadcasts, they eventually decided to remain on Longwave.

Our neighbours across the Irish Sea and the UK's national public service broadcasting service, the BBC attempted to shut down BBC Radio 4 on Longwave 198KHz broadcasting frequency a number of years ago but after a major outcry from those who relied a lot on the Radio 4 LW broadcasts, they eventually decided to remain on Longwave.

No they didn't. They said that 198 would continue until the end of their charter (2017?) or until the valves were no longer available. After an "outcry", They bought up all available valves which may keep it going until about 2020.

• Advertisement

No they didn't. They said that 198 would continue until the end of their charter (2017?) or until the valves were no longer available. After an "outcry", They bought up all available valves which may keep it going until about 2020.

You are now contradicting yourself - the point is the BBC Radio 4 LW service did not close because they were inundated with complaints so it was a U-Turn or rowback as they would have closed it sooner if they could. Remember this, the BBC went and bought up the valves to prolong the Radio 4 LW service not close it as soon as they would have preferred. I never said BBC Radio 4 LW 198KHz service will go on indefinitely as I am well aware of the rare precious valves lifespan from a documentary shown some time ago.

I am pleased RTÉ Radio 1 are not closing down the Longwave 252KHz service before 2017 - a lot could happen between now and then. As this is Ireland's national public service radio channel it should be as widely available as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I for am very happy with the news. I just wish they would move to a clear channel and up the power.

Re Radio 4 on LW I think it was the British in France that were most vocal.

You are now contradicting yourself - the point is the BBC Radio 4 LW service did not close because they were inundated with complaints so it was a U-Turn or rowback as they would have closed it sooner if they could. Remember this, the BBC went and bought up the valves to prolong the Radio 4 LW service not close it as soon as they would have preferred. I never said BBC Radio 4 LW 198KHz service will go on indefinitely as I am well aware of the rare precious hvalves lifespan from a documentary shown some time ago.

I am pleased RTÉ Radio 1 are not closing down the Longwave 252KHz service before 2017 - a lot could happen between now and then. As this is Ireland's national public service radio channel it should be as widely available as possible.
    I am not contradicting myself. You said they tried to close down 198.
    They did not. They said once the charter was up, they would not invest any more money in keeping it going

Just for once, try getting the facts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they still decided not to close it due to a public outcry so his point still stands

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

they still decided not to close it due to a public outcry so his point still stands

No.
    They bought up all the existing valves which will/may extend the life.
    There never was, as far as im aware, a date set for a switch off. Only that they were not going to invest any more money after 2017.
    There is a world of difference between announcing the long term intentions (6+years) of the Corporation and actually setting a date.

No.
    There never was, as far as im aware, a date set for a switch off. Only that they were not going to invest any more money after 2017.
    There is a world of difference between announcing the long term intentions (6+years) of the Corporation and actually setting a date.
    they still didn't close it when they wanted to due to the public outcry

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you even reading the posts you're replying to?

I don't recall a public outcry. I do remember some dicussion on various forums at the time so ive done a quick search of the net.
    I can see no evidence of an outcry.

Once again, facts are being altered/exaggerated to suit an agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Radio_Fan_67

Im sure the outcry being referred to is the one back around 1990. The world has moved on alot since then.

L1011 wrote: »
    Are you even reading the posts you're replying to?
    i have to read them to reply. how am i going to decide what to write otherwise. have you anything constructive to add to the conversation?

• Advertisement

I don't recall a public outcry. I do remember some dicussion on various forums at the time so ive done a quick search of the net.
    I can see no evidence of an outcry.

Once again, facts are being altered/exaggerated to suit an agenda.
    you would know

Im sure the outcry being referred to is the one back around 1990. The world has moved on alot since then.
    well they didn't close it when they wanted to. thats it. the world hasn't moved on for those who rely on it even if the amount wasn't what it once was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

No.

Cricket ! There was an outcry when Auntie wanted to move the coverage off LW, afaik BBC have no formal plans to close the Long Wave service.

IMHO RTE should retain Long Wave at full power (!) and move their radio services back to wide beam on Astra.

There has been a lot of misinformation about the closure of LW, at the end of the day it cannot be switched off until the DAB service is available nationally - which of course needs to be funded.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Cricket ! There was an outcry when Auntie wanted to move the coverage off LW, afaik BBC have no formal plans to close the Long Wave service.

IMHO RTE should retain Long Wave at full power (!) and move their radio services back to wide beam on Astra.

There has been a lot of misinformation about the closure of LW, at the end of the day it cannot be switched off until the DAB service is available nationally - which of course needs to be funded.

What has longwave got to do with DAB ? 100% of the "outcry" was about people in the united kingdom and mainland Europe losing RTE Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

What has longwave got to do with DAB ? 100% of the "outcry" was about people in the united kingdom and mainland Europe losing RTE Radio 1.

RTE Radio 1 Extra.

The 100% comment is 100% wrong.

i have to read them to reply. how am i going to decide what to write otherwise. have you anything constructive to add to the conversation?

You seem to have got it in to your head that the BBC "wanted" to close LW when nothing of the sort actually existed; and you keep writing virtually identical posts based on that misassumption, even when that post is correcting you. This is why I have to assume you're not reading most of what you reply to.

You seem to have got it in to your head that the BBC "wanted" to close LW when nothing of the sort actually existed; and you keep writing virtually identical posts based on that misassumption, even when that post is correcting you.

not at all. over the years the BBC have considered closing the LW service. thats it.
    This is why I have to assume you're not reading most of what you reply to.

well i couldn't care a less what you think. if i don't read a post i can't reply to it. but frankly its irrelevant to the conversation, so have you anything constructive to say rather then making irrelevant comments about people?

not at all. over the years the BBC have considered closing the LW service. thats it.

"considered" and "wanted" are two VERY different things.
    well i couldn't care a less what you think. if i don't read a post i can't reply to it. but frankly its irrelevant to the conversation, so have you anything constructive to say rather then making irrelevant comments about people?

Someone making serially inaccurate claims is very much relevant to be called out on.

Infoanon wrote: »
    RTE Radio 1 Extra.

The 100% comment is 100% wrong.

There is nothing on longwave that doesn't go out on FM anymore apart from Mass, They could easily put the Mass on one of the FM networks if there was a demand for it.

• Advertisement

"considered" and "wanted" are two VERY different things.

Someone making serially inaccurate claims is very much relevant to be called out on.
    i did not make any serially inaccurate claims so nothing to be called out on. move on

Advertisement