Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock over today

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

gman2k wrote: »
    FFS - do you know why the driver might be going into a hospice? :mad:
    Of course your responsibility remains the same, and I've never argued that.

Your first statement suggests otherwise.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

doc1976 wrote: »
    Just back from a spin around the Phoenix park. A full family ran across my path where I nearly mowed into a five (around) kid. I looked around and told them to wake the f**k up and they were all laughing as if them or I being hurt was a big joke.

There's two extremes with non-cyclists -- people who think bicycles will kill everybody and others who think bicycles are a joke and can do no harm to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

Same driver or different driver?
    You are the common factor in both incidents. Is there any way that you might be contributing to the perils you find yourself in?

Different driver on both occasions. One was in their 20's the other their 30's. Both men btw.

I think common sense by both would have resulted in a different outcome. Simply just waiting until I passed the area they wanted to go would have fixed it.

I could have easily been ploughed out of it by a car behind me having swerved out to miss the first car. I didn't have the time to swerve the offending van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Cork24 wrote: »
    Oh wait Its ok Every one the driver was going into a hospice.. Sure fuc**k the cyclist, but if he hit a car it would be different is it ? How was he ranting if anything your the one that is ranting..

Ps.. if a car hits You he hits You doesnt matter if hes going to a hospice, wedding, home, work etc.

Expect the unexpected, wtf so next time se all get on our bikes we should expect to get hit by a car? Ya nice one..

Woah there.
    Obviously the driver was in the wrong, and obviously the cyclist was in the right. And there is legally no difference for a driver if he is going hospice/ wedding / home / work etc.
    I know it's not very PC around here to have an understanding of drivers also.
    If the cyclist was hit going by a McDonalds, or a Shopping Centre, you can blame outright carelessness more. But, the driver was pulling into a hospice (of course there is no way of knowing if the driver was an employee, or visiting a relative.)
    If the driver was in to visit a friend/relative, then please understand the possible mental state of that driver. They were going to visit a loved one who is dying inside that hospice.

I once worked in retail near a large hospital on the Southside, and one of the first things that was told to me was that some of the customers coming into the shop would be in a different place mentally than 'ordinary' customers. You had to expect the unexpected and always understand that they may be having a very hard time of themselves due to visiting sick family/ friends etc. People do very strange and abnormal things when under severe stress, it does not make them stupid or bad people.

When a parent of mine was dying in hospital, I don't know how I was able to drive properly, and you wouldn't even be able to remember sometimes how you drove there or where you parked etc. I know the responsible answer is that you should get someone else to drive you, or take public transport, but that is often not possible.

I'm glad that the OP is not badly hurt and that his bicycle is OK too.

So again Its ok to knock down someone and could have killed the poor lad once he was going into see a Dying person.. i couldnt give a flying shi**t if the pope, Dalai Lama was in that hospice.. You hit some one your to blame end of your dumb as* comments on he was seen a dying family member.. hes not to blame..

were all going to die most of us will end up in a hospice and if i hit a cyclist going into one while seen a family member i would stand up and say i was in the wrong..

And once again were all fu** cyclist and drivers so were did your comment on..

Come from ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Let's keep it civil guys

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Cork24 wrote: »
    So again Its ok to knock down someone and could have killed the poor lad once he was going into see a Dying person.. i couldnt give a flying shi**t if the pope, Dalai Lama was in that hospice.. You hit some one your to blame end of your dumb as* comments on he was seen a dying family member.. hes not to blame..

were all going to die most of us will end up in a hospice and if i hit a cyclist going into one while seen a family member i would stand up and say i was in the wrong..

And once again were all fu** cyclist and drivers so were did your comment on..

Come from ?

Maybe actually read what I said? For ease I'll condense it for you:

The driver was at fault - he's 100% legally responsible. The cyclist was blameless.
    Drivers sometimes are mentally preoccupied with other issues.
    Where possible prepare for the unexpected.
    If you are unhurt and the bike is ok, and there may be extenuating circumstances, chalk it down to life experience and move on.
    Not all cyclists are red light Lycra louts. Not all motorists are out to murder cyclists at every possible opportunity.

The rest of your post is hard to understand, so I won't try to comment further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Maybe actually read what I said? For ease I'll condense it for you:

The driver was at fault - he's 100% legally responsible. The cyclist was blameless.
    Drivers sometimes are mentally preoccupied with other issues.
    Where possible prepare for the unexpected.
    If you are unhurt and the bike is ok, and there may be extenuating circumstances, chalk it down to life experience and move on.
    Not all cyclists are red light Lycra louts. Not all motorists are out to murder cyclists at every possible opportunity.

The rest of your post is hard to understand, so I won't try to comment further.

Not wading in on the blame issue here or anything, but I will simply echo what I have said to a number of friends when they started learning to drive, and many of them have said their own instructors said the same to them after - "Looking out for your own mistakes is easy. It's looking out for everyone else's that's difficult."

Personally I believe this statement applies to all road use, driver, cyclist and pedestrian alike, and while I'm not disputing the blame on the driver by any stretch of the imagination, I feel we all have a duty, even if just to ourselves, to be fully aware of what's going on around us. After all, no one of us is infallible, no matter how hard we try, so if (when?) it happens that we make a mistake that could cause an accident, it would be better for everyone if another road user's observation and awareness can avert it

Advertisement