Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Novce Ireland Strongest man Anyone going?

• 23-07-2011 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishstrongman.com/
    Novice Ireland Strongest Man 2011

Sunday 24July 2011

2.30 pm start Belturbet festival Belturbet
    Co Cavan

This great annual event is for all new comers and competitors who have not won a pro event.

Winner will receive the coveted Finn McCool Trophy and be crowned Novice Ireland Strongest Man 2011.

Events

Arm Over Arm Anchor & Chain going in twos

Axle Press for Maximum

Hercules Hold 2 cars going in twos

Stones of Strength

Deadlift Medley going in twos

Will probably go meself. Axel press alone would be worth a look IMO.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Hope to get some more vids up. Youtube is killing me all day ! Can't get it to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Excellent stuff mate.

Big Glen was excellent as the MC.

The spotters were also excellent (guy behind etc)- I'm a big fan of protecting the athletes from unecessary injury.

Jonathan Kelly Irelands strongest man 2011 (one nearest the camera) spotting and marshalling at the event also.

Gotta say the sun came out goodo on the day. Fierce heat and a slope made that event all the harder. Tyre flips were first. 950lb tyres to be flipped 8 times I think to the finish (420 something kilos) .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Bit of a poor decision holding it the same day as GPC national champs no?

Hanley wrote: »

Was thinking that meself. Know anyone who could organise a Ustream web cast for any of next years events by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

you did neither so STFU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

you did neither so STFU

Jaysus.. </3?

Dunno if any one who posts on boards competed in either event. Wonder if they'd write up about it if they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

What weight is that axle?

What weight is that axle?

Final lift was 135kg. 2.5 inch axle. No bearings on the ends, kinda like an apollons axle.

• Advertisement

you did neither so STFU

Go for a run you bender.

Overall event winner Ricahrd Looney atlas stones final event and one of the few to complete all stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Go for a run you bender.

Thats an epic FAIL...your running more than i am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

squod wrote: »
    Tyre flips were first. 950lb tyres to be flipped 8 times I think to the finish (420 something kilos) .

It seemed to me that having that one first wasn't the best decision. From what I saw most of the boys couldn't lift the tyres more than once and only 2 finished it. In the heat it must have shattered them, and a good deal of the crowd drifted off after that first event!

There was also some interesting freestyle axle lifting attempts, but at least it was entertaining!

I'm not disrespecting any competitor there, those were some sh1t heavy tyres and fair play, just maybe they were too heavy? It certainly looked like the weight took some of them by surprise...

As a spectacle it kinda lost out a bit on that score.

A 900+lb tire sounds outrageously heavy... I thought 700-800 was the norm at that level. Especially considering the stones only went up to 145kg...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Arent the tire's they use in WSM 900 pounds???
    And the pros struggle with them.
    The tires on Sunday looked seriously heavy alright,but 900 pounds???
    But what do i know? I was fairly drunk when i was watching it :P

But Heres a video of Poundstone struggling for 9 reps with a 950 pound tyre,so id doubt any novice strongmen would be able to cope with 900 pound ones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38BlgYNXDK8

Hammar wrote: »
    Arent the tire's they use in WSM 900 pounds???
    And the pros struggle with them.
    The tires on Sunday looked seriously heavy alright,but 900 pounds???
    But what do i know? I was fairly drunk when i was watching it :P

But Heres a video of Poundstone struggling for 9 reps with a 950 pound tyre,so id doubt any novice strongmen would be able to cope with 900 pound ones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38BlgYNXDK8

Bigger than that. Even the bigger lads were caught out.

It seemed to me that having that one first wasn't the best decision. From what I saw most of the boys couldn't lift the tyres more than once and only 2 finished it. In the heat it must have shattered them, and a good deal of the crowd drifted off after that first event!

There was also some interesting freestyle axle lifting attempts, but at least it was entertaining!

I'm not disrespecting any competitor there, those were some sh1t heavy tyres and fair play, just maybe they were too heavy? It certainly looked like the weight took some of them by surprise...

As a spectacle it kinda lost out a bit on that score.

I'm with you there. Watched the juniors earlier in the year. Some of them looked real strong. One lad I hadn't seen before looked like he could deadlift the country. So from that point of view........ it's hard to know what weight would be best.

Advertisement