Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Educogym Experience

Options
  • 22-07-2011 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I saw many bit n pieces on the internet about Educogym and not many experiences so I thought I would post mine.

I bought a 12 session City Deal for €99.

Let me give you my background first. I'm relatively fit. I do Crossfit type classes twice a week. It's like a bootcamp x10 if you don't know what it is. Look up Crossfit.com and you'll see. I also used to go to the gym in the days in between, lifting weights.

My diet was OK. It consisted of 6 small meals a day. All what you would consider very healthy! I ate LOTS of fruit. 3 apples, 1 banana and 2 mandarins a day.

I booked in for my consultation at Educo. This consisted of a number of measurements:fat% test, weight, neck, bicep and thigh etc. Then the trainer went through my diet. I was told why I wasn't currently burning fat was that I had alot of insulin spikes during the day. Which was true when I looked back on it. The new diet was to eliminate those spikes and have a more common level of insulin release during the day. High insulin slows the metobilsm hence you don't burn fat.

The diet was very close to the paleo diet which is used by the most competitive people in Crossfit. This is like a hunter/gatherer diet.

Morning: 2 egg Ommlette. 90g almonds
    Lunch: 150g Protein meat/oily fish and a large salad (no tomatoes. 90g almonds
    Dinner: 350g Protein Meat/oily fish and a salad or green veg.

Supplements were involved. A scoop of creatine in the morning and one in the afternoon. They wanted me to by their free-form Amino acids at €35 but I bought them in Holland & Barrett for €9. I had the creatine myself which i actually never took before.

The training sessions were approx 20 mins. High intensity weight sessions on machines.

MY GOAL: Tone up. Lose the love handles and the moobs. I want to get from a 36.5 inc waist to about 32/33. A six pack is the goal.

As soon as I started the diet I started to lose the weight. It dropped of so quickly. I was really surprised. I didn't find the diet to hard to stick to as my own diet was quite close but I left out the fruit. Obviously no boozing at the weekend is difficult but if you want to achieve your goal, that's what you gotta do.

After 7 days, I dropped 5kgs, from 85kgs to 80kgs. 1.5 inches off my neck and 2.5 inches around my waist. I got my final measurements today so hoping to improve on that!

PROS:
    - Getting good advice on the diet was really key
    - The 20 mins workout sessions were short and snappy
    - The facilities
    - The instructors were really friendly. After 2/3 days everyone new my name
    - The regular measurement tests.
    - Really good value for €99 for the 12 sessions. If they were doing it again, I'd defo do it.

CONS
    - No warm up before lifting very heavy weights. Just straight into it. I don't think this is good for you.
    - The diet includes alot of supplements. My advice is get the name of the products and their ingredients and buy elsewhere. They're much cheaper and of better quality.
    - It is very expensive to keep it on. I think approximately €200 per month.

Overall, my experience has been extremely positive. It is expensive but if you think of the how much you spend on booze and junk food, you'd make up for some of it. I'll be trying to keep up the diet for about another 3 weeks and do the same type of sessions in my own gym

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

The instructors were really friendly. After 2/3 days everyone knew my name

For €200 a month, I'd expect them to all know when my birthday was too......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

1. I was told why I wasn't currently burning fat was that I had alot of insulin spikes during the day. Which was true when I looked back on it. The new diet was to eliminate those spikes and have a more common level of insulin release during the day. High insulin slows the metobilsm hence you don't burn fat.

2. The training sessions were approx 20 mins. High intensity weight sessions on machines.

PROS:
    - 1.Getting good advice on the diet was really key
    - 2.The 20 mins workout sessions were short and snappy
    - The facilities
    - The instructors were really friendly. After 2/3 days everyone new my name
    - 3.The regular measurement tests.
    - Really good value for €99 for the 12 sessions. If they were doing it again, I'd defo do it.

CONS
    - 1.No warm up before lifting very heavy weights. Just straight into it. I don't think this is good for you.
    - The diet includes alot of supplements. My advice is get the name of the products and their ingredients and buy elsewhere. They're much cheaper and of better quality.
    - It is very expensive to keep it on. I think approximately 2.€200 per month.

Point #1
    I don't know where to begin. All I can say is that you weren't losing weight because you weren't in a calorie deficit. You were eating too much or training too little. You say you were eating 6 small meals a day - you then went to eat 3 small meals a day and no carbs. I can say with 100% confidence that you lost weight on their diet because you were eating much less and it had absolutely nothing to do with insulin.

Point #2
    20 minutes training with weight loss being the goal is too little. It might work but it is still not enough training when weight loss is your goal. Judging by your diet if you didn't excercise you would have lost weight anyway because there is very little calories there.

Pros
    1. That information is available for free online and is in fact available in some form on the website you are currently posting on. People on here would help you with your diet for free.
    2. Too short if you ask me, I've touched on this already.
    3. You can do these tests yourself for free. I have seen free measuring tapes in pharmacies, or you could pick one up anywhere for < €1.

Cons
    1. If that's true it's lunacy. You are flirting with injury if you don't warm up and anyone with any knowledge of the human body will know that you should always warm up.
    2. €200 a month? You are lucky you just spent €99. Holy crap at that price. I don't know what they offer that other gyms don't that allows them to charge that much. 2 months and you could cover most gym memberships around the country and then some. €2400 a year in a recession? My mind is full of fúck.

I think your Educogym can be summed up by
    "They wanted me to by their free-form Amino acids at €35 but I bought them in Holland & Barrett for €9."
    They make people believe they need these supplements and charge them an arm and a leg. They mark up everything beyond belief and because people see short term results they think Educogym is a god send when in reality everything they do could be done better and for a fraction of the price. The fact that your workouts consisted solely of machine weights worries me the most; for that price you'd think you'd get proper training.

I have never been to an Educogym but judging from the posts I see on this website about peoples experiences with them I would tell everyone to avoid them. I think they prey on the ignorant with regards to health and fitness and charge people through the nose all the while filling them with information they know themselves to be false (i.e. the insulin shít in OPs post, unless OP misheard/can't remember exactly what they said - but if it was something along those lines then you can be certain it was a lie or the person spreading the information isn't fit for the job).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

SanoVitae wrote: »
    For €200 a month, I'd expect them to all know when my birthday was too......

For €200 a month I'd expect a cake as well.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

For €200 a month I'd expect a cake as well.

I'd expect a reach around and a happy ending.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hanley wrote: »
    I'd expect a reach around and a happy ending.

You're a demanding customer.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 honestgirl

I always wonder what qualifications these people have. Advice is generally the same but each person is totally different to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

came close to buying on grabone.ie
    its on offer at 29 for 4 sessions but after
    reading this it's very easy for me to resist it
    I wouldn't have missed the 29 but im still happy
    i came here first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 steventc

hi guys im looking for advice!

i joined educo last month... il admit the past month was great - i did loose weight and it was motivating BUT the past few days the constant trying to sell products has really got to me and i do believe that this programme was not sustainable for life whether its the health reason or financial reason so i told them enough is enough.
    i had the contract for 4 months - i paid the first month which iv just completed but now they 'Demand' i pay the other 3 eventhough i told them i wasnt confident in their product anymore. the conversation from them was quite in an agressive tone and they threatened to go legal - im very annoyed at this.
    i dont want to bash the gym or anything. Their techniques are just not the way for me.

what can i do??

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

steventc wrote: »
    hi guys im looking for advice!

i joined educo last month... il admit the past month was great - i did loose weight and it was motivating BUT the past few days the constant trying to sell products has really got to me and i do believe that this programme was not sustainable for life whether its the health reason or financial reason so i told them enough is enough.
    i had the contract for 4 months - i paid the first month which iv just completed but now they 'Demand' i pay the other 3 eventhough i told them i wasnt confident in their product anymore. the conversation from them was quite in an agressive tone and they threatened to go legal - im very annoyed at this.
    i dont want to bash the gym or anything. Their techniques are just not the way for me.

what can i do??

I'm not sure what they will do but it's unlikely that they will actually follow up on their threat - taking legal action will cost them more than they can probably hope to gain and it will further tarnish their reputation (to the extent that this is possible...). Just tell them you won't pay as you don't like the supplements. If they continue to threaten you you could threaten to bring them to court for harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Probably one of the most ignorant posts I've read in a while...
    jive wrote: »
    Point #1
    I don't know where to begin. All I can say is that you weren't losing weight because you weren't in a calorie deficit. You were eating too much or training too little. You say you were eating 6 small meals a day - you then went to eat 3 small meals a day and no carbs. I can say with 100% confidence that you lost weight on their diet because you were eating much less and it had absolutely nothing to do with insulin.

So what? The OP went to get results, and seemingly got them. Yes they were clearly consuming less calories to achieve this, 1meal, 3meals, 6meals per day all work for different people. I won't even go into your statement on insulin.
    Point #2
    20 minutes training with weight loss being the goal is too little. It might work but it is still not enough training when weight loss is your goal. Judging by your diet if you didn't excercise you would have lost weight anyway because there is very little calories there.

Really, is 20mins too little? You completely contradict yourself here, you say it's too little and follow with "it might work but it's not enough"?
    Pros
    1. That information is available for free online and is in fact available in some form on the website you are currently posting on. People on here would help you with your diet for free.
    2. Too short if you ask me, I've touched on this already.
    3. You can do these tests yourself for free. I have seen free measuring tapes in pharmacies, or you could pick one up anywhere for < €1.

Correct, the information for pretty much anything is available online for free. How does someone with no frame of reference for the basics differentiate the good, bad and plain stupid advice offered online, and even regularly on this forum?
    Cons
    1. If that's true it's lunacy. You are flirting with injury if you don't warm up and anyone with any knowledge of the human body will know that you should always warm up.
    2. €200 a month? You are lucky you just spent €99. Holy crap at that price. I don't know what they offer that other gyms don't that allows them to charge that much. 2 months and you could cover most gym memberships around the country and then some. €2400 a year in a recession? My mind is full of fúck.

This money thing is something that crops up every so often and it's a bit of a joke really. To you it's a waste of money. I currently work freelance part time for a gym that some might say has a similar setup, but clients pay a lot more than 200e per month. They also get dramatic results, results they have not been able to achieve despite using several 'internet' methods and commercial gyms. I'm really not sure what you're last sentence even means.
    I think your Educogym can be summed up by
    "They wanted me to by their free-form Amino acids at €35 but I bought them in Holland & Barrett for €9."
    They make people believe they need these supplements and charge them an arm and a leg. They mark up everything beyond belief and because people see short term results they think Educogym is a god send when in reality everything they do could be done better and for a fraction of the price.

You might actually have a point on this one.
    The fact that your workouts consisted solely of machine weights worries me the most; for that price you'd think you'd get proper training.

I'd love you to define proper training?
    I have never been to an Educogym but judging from the posts I see on this website about peoples experiences with them I would tell everyone to avoid them. I think they prey on the ignorant with regards to health and fitness and charge people through the nose all the while filling them with information they know themselves to be false (i.e. the insulin shít in OPs post, unless OP misheard/can't remember exactly what they said - but if it was something along those lines then you can be certain it was a lie or the person spreading the information isn't fit for the job).

The very post you quoted had someone drop 5kg and 2.5inches off their waist, why tell everyone to avoid them? Are you saying the OP was ignorant? I think the post seemed to suggest they were happy with the results? You're also back to being certain that insulin factor is a lie.

To make things clear I also believe that educogym has its failings, but ultimately it appears to achieve results for some of their clients and there are plenty of 'commercial' gyms that can't claim the same.

• Advertisement

Overall, my experience has been extremely positive. It is expensive but if you think of the how much you spend on booze and junk food, you'd make up for some of it. I'll be trying to keep up the diet for about another 3 weeks and do the same type of sessions in my own gym

Congratulations on the weight loss, you obviously worked to achieve it with diet/exercise, keep it up too. Interesting to hear your experiences of educogym too.

cmyk wrote: »
    Probably one of the most ignorant posts I've read in a while...

Thank you.
    So what? The OP went to get results, and seemingly got them. Yes they were clearly consuming less calories to achieve this, 1meal, 3meals, 6meals per day all work for different people. I won't even go into your statement on insulin.

Controlling calorie intake works for weight loss? Who'd have thunk it.
    Really, is 20mins too little? You completely contradict yourself here, you say it's too little and follow with "it might work but it's not enough"?

Yes. 20 minutes is too little unless you are doing something like HIIT. As far as I'm concerned a good HIIT routine doesn't consist solely of machine weights.
    Correct, the information for pretty much anything is available online for free. How does someone with no frame of reference for the basics differentiate the good, bad and plain stupid advice offered online, and even regularly on this forum?

They can't. They can read around and get a fair idea. Just like they can't decipher the bullshít they may be told at Educogym in order to get money out of them.
    This money thing is something that crops up every so often and it's a bit of a joke really. To you it's a waste of money. I currently work freelance part time for a gym that some might say has a similar setup, but clients pay a lot more than 200e per month. They also get dramatic results, results they have not been able to achieve despite using several 'internet' methods and commercial gyms. I'm really not sure what you're last sentence even means.

You also get dramatic results at Auschwitz. That doesn't mean it's good.
    I'd love you to define proper training?

Depends entirely on what your goals are so no point in discussing it really.
    The very post you quoted had someone drop 5kg and 2.5inches off their waist, why tell everyone to avoid them? Are you saying the OP was ignorant? I think the post seemed to suggest they were happy with the results? You're also back to being certain that insulin factor is a lie.

I tell people to avoid them for several reasons. Based on what I have heard, they overcharge and encourage you to buy supplements at massively inflated prices to make a quick buck off of people who don't know any better. There's not something in the air at Educogym, you can achieve similar results at any other gym for a fraction of the price. The OP was ignorant with regards to health and fitness, as are many people. That's not his/her fault as one would assume they would get professional advice from a professional business. I don't know how qualified the people who work there are but if I went to a professional of any kind I'd expect to get good, honest advice and it's clear that this isn't the case given what some people have said about Educogym on this board. I've never been so can't comment on everything they say but I also know I will never go due to what I've heard.
    To make things clear I also believe that educogym has its failings, but ultimately it appears to achieve results for some of their clients and there are plenty of 'commercial' gyms that can't claim the same.

Like I said, just because results are achieved doesn't make it good. If I tied you up in a room and fed you celery and water for a month you'd get better 'results' than you would at Educogym exercising for 20 minutes on machines. Just because the results are 'better' in the short term doesn't mean shít.

Note: I'm just going from what I have heard about them on this board. I have never been so can't say the above is fact.

They can't. They can read around and get a fair idea. Just like they can't decipher the bullshít they may be told at Educogym in order to get money out of them.

Half my clients can't decipher this and half of them don't have the time nor inclination to dredge through the myriad of information on the web.
    You also get dramatic results at Auschwitz. That doesn't mean it's good.

...and this is pretty much the reason I stopped getting sucked into these discussions in the first place. The old gym vs concentration camp argument.
    Depends entirely on what your goals are so no point in discussing it really.

The goal was weight loss.
    I tell people to avoid them for several reasons. Based on what I have heard, they overcharge and encourage you to buy supplements at massively inflated prices to make a quick buck off of people who don't know any better. There's not something in the air at Educogym, you can achieve similar results at any other gym for a fraction of the price. The OP was ignorant with regards to health and fitness, as are many people. That's not his/her fault as one would assume they would get professional advice from a professional business. I don't know how qualified the people who work there are but if I went to a professional of any kind I'd expect to get good, honest advice and it's clear that this isn't the case given what some people have said about Educogym on this board. I've never been so can't comment on everything they say but I also know I will never go due to what I've heard.

You're missing my earlier points entirely

Like I said, just because results are achieved doesn't make it good.

What would make it good?
    If I tied you up in a room and fed you celery and water for a month you'd get better 'results' than you would at Educogym exercising for 20 minutes on machines. Just because the results are 'better' in the short term doesn't mean shít.

And back to extremes again, I don't get your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

Any programme based on a massive temporary increase in food supplements cannot, BY DEFINITION, generate sustainable results. Once you stop taking the supplements the result generated by the supplements will inevitably disappear. (And if you are unlucky they will have done some lasting damage as the human body isn't meant to cope with the artificially high dosages of certain nutrients they contain.) It's not really rocket science: eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, avoid processed foods, don't drink too much alcohol, avoid supplements, go to the gym or swim regularly and have a yogurt and a banana afterwards and you will be fine and it's also a lot cheaper. Educo and the like seem to appeal to vain, lazy slobs with money who want visible results fast but can't be bothered to do sustained regular exercise, cook, or stop eating crap.

cmyk wrote: »
    Half my clients can't decipher this and half of them don't have the time nor inclination to dredge through the myriad of information on the web.

Yeah so they believe anything you tell them. Go figure. What's the difference if it's you misinforming them or the internet? Or Educogym misinforming them? Or anyone else for that matter?
    ...and this is pretty much the reason I stopped getting sucked into these discussions in the first place. The old gym vs concentration camp argument.

So what? You mentioned dramatic results. If you can't argue your point then that's fine, don't call me out on mine.
    The goal was weight loss.

Then I'd suggest weights followed by low intensity cardio or some form of HIIT. I wouldn't suggest 20 minutes of heavy weights with no warmup because it's fúcking retarded.
    What would make it good?
    Results that can be achieved consistantly without the risk of injury. Losing 5kg in 7 days isn't smart. Not to mention the fact OP also started creatine which would give additional water weight so he probably lost between 6 and 7 kg. 2 lbs a day. I'd imagine losing 2lbs a day is great for your health and body composition. Those results were 'great'!
    And back to extremes again, I don't get your point?
    I'm sorry that you fail to grasp simple points relevant to something you yourself referred to (dramatic results). Better luck next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 feek

Jesus, I'm sick of people bashing Educogym. I've been going to the Parnell Square one for a good while now with great results.

Number of things I want to clear up as a normal gym user who isn't fanatical about fitness...

In my one they don't push the supplements. They encourage them initally but if you don't want to take them, that's the end of it.

Yes, it is expensive but it works. Go everyday you can (x5 for me), work your butt off for 20 mins, watch your diet and you'll look great in no time. I consider it similar to personal training and the cost is then cheap in comparison. Having to book your time also means you feel you have to turn up. Matthew is a great trainer, very helpful and encouraging. If you ask questions, he'll take time out to discuss it all with you. Plus they have a payment plan and are flexible if you need a couple of days leeway.

The 'crazy' diet is only for the 12 day program and then you switch to a low GI (works for me) or high protein or whatever diet suits you best long term. Yes, the 12 day diet is hard if you aren't meat mad but it's a kick start and not meant long term.

I do go to my local gym for cardio, but when I took a break from Educo and
    just did the local gym I stagnated on results. So, for people like me, it's great. Also as a girl I feel very intimidated doing the weights in the local gym, but find I get much better results with strength training than I ever did through cardio alone. Now I do HIIT training in the gym so I'm in and out plus I'll already have done my strength training in Educo so doing all my exercise in 2.6 hours a week spread over 20 mins sessions. 20 x 5 in educo, 20 x 3 in gym. Very easy to fit into my life.

I am not affiliated in any way with Educogym, just a happy customer of Parnell Square. I can't vouch for the rest. Rem they are a francise so will differ.

So, if you're interested in Educogym, then go for it, but sign up for the 3 month course to see amazing results. 12 days is only the tip of the iceberg.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hallo123

hi all I have done educogym in the past, im just wondering if i were to follow the diet myself and not do the training would i gain weight rather than lose it? because it is a high fat diet really ... thanks in advance !

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

They hire people that have no qualifications in health & fitness some might but my friend did beauty in college & they took her on & she was training people educogym is a money racket

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

via4 wrote: »
    They hire people that have no qualifications in health & fitness some might but my friend did beauty in college & they took her on & she was training people educogym is a money racket
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    please attend a facility where they actually know how to coach you

Advertisement