Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single favourite book?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I really love the idea of the once a year book that a lot of people in here have, i must start doing that, sounds excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Demi D

Diairist wrote: »
    is it true Heller was so embarrassed he gave the money back to the publisher?

Didn't hear that. But wouldn't surprise me if it's true.

Heller even got the chaplains name wrong in the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

this is a tough call

The best 'written' book I have ever read was In Cold Blood.

With regards to my favourite book however...my literary favourites would consist of The Road (favourite of last 5 years), along with Ghostwritten (favourite of last 10 years) and the Third Policeman (favourite old school).

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

1984 (or almost anything else by Orwell)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I think some books are so great because you read them at a perfect stage in your life. I loved 'The Bell Jar' by Sylvia Plath because I read it in college. That would be up there.

This year I am loving 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' by Susanna Clarke.

I don't think I could pick just one forever more though. I haven't read enough yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Jane Eyre.

Since I was 10, I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

@Coconut5
    I agree, I remember how everybody was raving about The Stranger by Camus when I was in high school. It is still a great book, it just wouldn't be top of the list.

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco is the one I always loved. I think I read it first when I was 13 and 20 years latter it is still among my top books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

American Gods, Neil Gaiman.

Advertisement