Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Meath 0-13 Kildare 0-11. Poor game lots of turnovers by both sides. Kildare struggled to break down mass defence in second half

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

There's simply not enough dog in that Kildare team. Yet another lead squandered too easily. Three week break to get a few players back is the only real positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

We learned nothing from last weekend ,can't kill a game off. See Ryan was actually on the side lines tonight for a change!! Maybe to late the leadership should of been there well before now.

Anyways no one running forward no leadership and no direction ??? Questions have to be asked ..

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

Whats the story with Daryl Flynn does anyone know? Is he injured?retired?

Even if they were all in around the full foward line a lineup of Fogarty,Dowling and Mulhall is too unreliable.

I hope I'm wrong about Daryl O Brian but I would fear for him if he was playing against Dublin in a Leinster Semi if we get that far, I would like to see Daniel Flynn in a sweeper role if he rejoins the panel.

I hate being so negative about the team but it seems to lack any bit of steel , the second Meath took the lead I knew they werent going to get it back.

A mediocre year ahead.

Daryl Flynn hasn't officially retired but I very much doubt he will play for Kildare again. He couldn't even get on the Moorefield team at the back end of last year.

The lack of steel in this team is its achilles heel. We do have some nice footballers at the moment but that's half the problem, they're too bloody nice! Promotion is all but gone now, although we did manage to go up in 2012 after losing the first two games. That wouldn't bother me greatly, we're not hardy enough for Division 1 as it stands. We were in winning positions in both games so far, as we were against Tyrone and Monaghan last year, and we contrived to lose both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

That is a massive shame. Probably our most underrated player for the past 5 years, I remember even when we were outclassed against Cork in 2012 he came on and bossed midfield.

Its hard to have confidence in them closing out a game let alone chasing a game. I would happily be proven to be wrong but I cant see the likes of Mulhall and Dowling winning it for us in the heat of championship against the likes of Laois let alone Dublin.

Its hard to know where exactly it stems from but Playing 14 men in our half whenever Meath attack wouldnt give you the impression that Ryan has confidence in the players and that is bound to effect them in some shape or form.

On the surface it seems like a serious regression to McGeeney who albeit the team selection and tactics werent always spot on but we never let victories slip in this way.

Heres how Id like to see us lined up if all were available:

Donnelon
    O Grady Fitzpatrick Kelly

Eoin Doyle
    Dan Flynn Fergal Conway Bolton

Moolick Cribben

Callaghan O Flaherty Paudie O Neill

Smith Mc Nally

Its hard to have confidence in them closing out a game let alone chasing a game. I would happily be proven to be wrong but I cant see the likes of Mulhall and Dowling winning it for us in the heat of championship against the likes of Laois let alone Dublin.

The trouble with that is that some of the more experienced names have also wilted in championship football in recent years.

Mulhall has talent but he often takes far too much out of the ball. Grand in club football or underage level but you won't get that time against senior county defenders and he has to learn that. He also needs to stay closer to Fogarty and stop dropping so deep although that could just be the instructions he is getting. Dowling is beginning to show some of his potential. I would stick with him for now and hope that he continues to rebuild his confidence. He could have a future as a half forward where he can drift around midfield because he is mobile and good in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

I really don't get this obsession with Daniel Flynn, he was pretty poor for club and county before heading off to Oz. He is not the answer to all of our problems.

Dreadful game tonight. It had everything that's wrong with gaelic football. Both teams seemed more interested in stopping each other from playing. Poor handling, aimless kick passing and needless fouling.

What's wrong with this Kildare team? I haven't a clue to be honest. They looked disinterested in a battle tonight, they looked like a team of individuals trying to out do each other and failing miserably. While I like Mullhall, I think he tries too hard to be the hero. For every good thing he does he does two bad things.

Eamon Callaghan needs to be dropped, he is simply not good enough anymore, he is a nice footballer but has zero fight in him. To be blunt about it, we need a few bad bastards in our team. Most of top counties have them (Ger Brennan, Connolly, McGee, McKeever the O'Sheas, Aidan O'Mahony, etc ) but we don't seem to be producing these sort of players.

Eoin Doyle and O'Grady were the only ones who seemed up for a fight tonight, the other 13 were passengers.

The knives will be out for Jason Ryan now, it's up to his players now over the next few games to show whether they want him to stay or not.

We're a a cross road now, time to sink or swim..

Is Leper still the Kildare captain?

I thought Eoghan O'Flaherty was the captain?

• Advertisement

Think it was Leper who went up for the coin toss tonight but could be wrong. Eoin Doyle is one of the few players we have who is capable of driving others on. Peter Kelly is another although he needs to tone down his 'wild side' when we have a fussy referee.

The half forward line/midfield in particular lack a bit of cuteness. It needed someone to show a bit of purpose and drive at a Meath defender there when we went behind and try to draw a free. Most refs are only dying to give a free when it's a one point game in injury time. We worked the ball down into the corner, stopped, turned back, carried the ball slowly across the field into traffic and overcarried. Crazy stuff. Paul Cribbin took part in the warm up tonight and I would hope that he would add a bit more drive around that area.

Where is Emmett Bolton?

He took a break after Eadestown were beaten in Leinster. Back for the next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Sad state of affairs lads no fight in the team.. If I had half the talent of some of our lads i would fight tooth and nail to wear that jersey... Sad really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Sad state of affairs lads no fight in the team.. If I had half the talent of some of our lads i would fight tooth and nail to wear that jersey... Sad really

i think thats a bit harsh yes ye did let meath back into it in the final 1/4 but its the second game of the league , ye sacrificed more first team players (seven i think ) then what dublin dropped against donegal ,plus the fact ye have a rivalry against meath who seemed to be up for it

its a long way to june or july i think kildare were the better side tonight for most of the game teams are not that fit sometimes at this time of the season which hampered ye tonight granted ye might not get promoted back to division 1 this year but ye still will have alot to offer fom march 1st onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Looking at Ryan struggling now, you'd have to look at McGeeney's time and wonder did he make the most of a limited bunch of players like he is doing at Armagh now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Jampip wrote: »
    Looking at Ryan struggling now, you'd have to look at McGeeney's time and wonder did he make the most of a limited bunch of players like he is doing at Armagh now.

The problem is that Ryan is very similar to McGeeney but just not as good. Most of that team wanted McGeeney to stay and it was fairly obvious why. He was consistent in player selection and got a good bit of success out of a fairly decent group of players. But then again McGeeney should credit a lot of his 'success' with Kildare to the great Johnny Doyle.

Leinster Minor Football League:

Kildare 4-11 Laois 1-9

Kildare SH (v Meath, Trim, 15/2/15)

1. Paul Dermody - Éire Óg/Corrachoill
    2. Mark Grace - Coill Dubh
    3. Fiachra Ó Muineacháin - Celbridge
    4. John Doran - Leixlip
    5. David Young - Toomevara
    6. Martin Fitzgerald - Ardclough
    7. Eanna Ó Neill - Coill Dubh
    8. Mark Moloney - Celbridge
    9. Paul Divilly - Confey
    10. Gerry Keegan - Celbridge
    11. Leo Quinn - Celbridge
    12. Bernard Deay - Clane
    13. Evan Dempsey - Eire Óg/Corrachoill
    14. Johnny Byrne - Coill Dubh
    15. Mark Delaney - Coill Dubh

16. Paddy McKenna - Clane
    17. Jack Sheridan - Naas
    18. Willie Green - Moneygall
    19. Dinny Stapleton - Sean Treacey's
    20. Kevin Whelan - Naas
    21. Conor Gordan - Coill Dubh
    22. Ryan Casey - Coill Dubh
    23. Sean Gainey - Naas
    24. Niall Kenny - Celbridge
    25. Colm Chan - Confey
    26. Gary Johnston - Eire Óg/Corrachoill
    27. Richie Whelan - St.Laurences
    28. Mick Purcell - Naas

Kildare lead 0-13 to 0-6 at half time. Hurling well so far.

• Advertisement

Kildare 0-24 Meath 0-14 FT

Good start to the campaign for Kildare. We weren't ready for 2A last year but should be a lot more competitive if we can go up this year. Lost a few experienced campaigners since the Christy Ring win but the panel has a stronger look to it with the additions of Leo Quinn, Johnny Byrne, Mark Grace and of course David Young. Promotion and a successful defence of the Christy Ring will be the target for 2015 and we should be hard to beat in both.

How did David Young play?

Nib wrote: »
    How did David Young play?

He was prominent. Scored two points from play.

Most of the Kildare team played very well although Meath were very flat for a team who were coming off the back of a Kehoe Cup win.

It would be a big disappointment if Kildare don't win the division now. The team has a strong look to it. Moloney and Divilly are fine physical centre field pairing. Mark Grace adds a bit of bite to the full back line and Dermody wouldn't look out of place in goal for any of the top Liam McCarthy teams.

The forward line has a real menace with Keegan obviously the star man. Leo Quinn will do a good job at centre forward and Johnny Byrne choosing hurling over football is a big boost to the small ball in Kildare. Dempsey and Delaney have good futures ahead of them. Conor Kenny came on for Tipperary against Dublin and his younger brother Niall who also made a substitute appearance yesterday is one to look out for. He has huge talent.

Kildare GAA have an intern position available:

http://kildaregaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3206:2015-02-19-15-47-54&catid=41:home-news&Itemid=183

That's quite a list of responsibilities. :eek:

For anyone looking for something to do on Good Friday:

B-EBDbCIMAI8hnr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Kildare GAA have an intern position available:

http://kildaregaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3206:2015-02-19-15-47-54&catid=41:home-news&Itemid=183

Well that looks like a poison chalice if I 've ever seen one. Interested to see that they would give a role of linkage to the Supporters Club to an Intern.

Speaking of the supporters club, the Club Kildare AGM takes place on Monday in Hawkfield at 8 o'clock.

Kildare SH (v Down, 21/2/15)

1.Paul Dermody - Éire Óg Corrachoill
    2.Mark Grace- Coill Dubh
    3.Fiachra Ó Muineacháin - Cill Droichid
    4.John Doran - Léim an Bhradáin
    5.David Young - Tuaim Uí Mheara
    6.Martin Fitzgerald - Árd Cloch
    7.Eanna Ó Neill - Coill Dubh
    8.Mark Moloney - Cill Droichid
    9.Paul Divilly - Confaí
    10.Gerry Keegan - Cill Droichid