Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Final decision) Btwin Triban 3 VS Carrera TDF Bike

Options
  • 18-07-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Ok so some of you might have read my previous thread explaining the details of my search for a good road bike for getting into college at a reasonable price. I am sick of paying 82 euro every month for a bus ticket, so I have decided that I am going to cycle into college now.

I have narrowed my choice down to two bikes, a Btwin Triban 3 (decathlon) and a Carrera TDF (Halfords). Both look very nice to me as a complete noob to cycling and cycling components.

What I want to know is which bike you would recommend and why...

Specs

Btwin Triban 3 €340.69
    • Road cycling affordable for all. The Triban 3 is a great bike for beginners, offering enjoyable racing experiences.
    • Power transmission / Propulsion : aluminium frame, carbon fork to optimise pedalling effort.
    • Efficiency : aluminium frame effectively transfers pedalling power. 24 speedShimano groupset.
    • Rigidity : adjustments are simple and reliable guaranteeing carefree touring.
    • Anatomic design : available in sizes: 54 - 57 - 60 - 63. Weight: 10.5 kg.
    • Composition Aluminium frame, carbon fork, Shimano 2300 groupset with gears on handlebars.
    • frame - aluminium with integrated headset.
    • groupset - Shimano 2300
    • wheels - Btwin sport
    • pedals - pedals with toe clips.
    • fork - carbon with aluminium pivot tube.
    • bike wheels size: 54 - 57- 60 - 63 - B'twin FRC stiff bead.
    • weight in size 57 - 10.5kg.
    Carrera TDF €374.99
    • Tektro dual pivot brake calipers provide reliable braking performance in all conditions
    • Full Shimano drivetrain
    • Shimano 16-speed ST-2300 shift and brake levers
    • Shimano front mech
    • Shimano RD-2300 rear mech
    • Road racing 700c x 23c tyres are fast rolling and controlled while road riding
    • Strong yet lightweight alloy rims reinforce wheel strength
    • Lightweight and durable 6061 aluminium frame with bladed fork offer an easier, faster ride

Thanks again
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Don't know much about either but the Triban has a carbon fork which is nice. What's the price difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

What's the price difference?

Btwin Triban 3 €340.69
    Carrera TDF €374.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I'd go for the triban so, reckon it looks nicer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

ARe those bikes good value? looking for something to commute on withthe possibility of the odd spin.

ARe those bikes good value?

Went to all of the main bike shops in Dublin and from that research I would definitely say yes.
    I had a very hard time trying to find similar bikes at a price that was anyway near these. The closest I came was in town at 400 euro.

Like I said in my post, I'm no bike expert so I am not quite sure what quality the parts are but from the reviews online it would seem that both of these bikes are great value for what is on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

24 gears on a road bike? seems a bit extreme. Isnt the Triban the bike with the GripShift gears. If it is I would prefer the TDF which has the more traditional road bike gears(integrated in the brake levers)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

24 gears on a road bike? seems a bit extreme. Isnt the Triban the bike with the GripShift gears. If it is I would prefer the TDF which has the more traditional road bike gears(integrated in the brake levers)

mines got 30 :p

anyway the triban has 2300 shifters (sora style)
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/triban-3-173178017/#TAILLE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i have the tdf as a 'use it for tipping around the city' bike and its fine. I did a few sportives on it last year with no problems, and a friend of mine currently uses it for the odd sportive.

The main downside is that it is heavy, but apart from that I havent had any problems with it. Halfords will give you 1 yrs free servicing as far as i know, and if you have an axa car insurance policy you will get 15% discount aswell. I find it comfy enough, the gearing is fine, the wheels and brakes are fine.

hope that helps!!

lennymc wrote: »
    i have the tdf as a 'use it for tipping around the city' bike and its fine. I did a few sportives on it last year with no problems, and a friend of mine currently uses it for the odd sportive.

The main downside is that it is heavy, but apart from that I havent had any problems with it. Halfords will give you 1 yrs free servicing as far as i know, and if you have an axa car insurance policy you will get 15% discount aswell. I find it comfy enough, the gearing is fine, the wheels and brakes are fine.

hope that helps!!

Thanks.
    Can I ask, how long is it before they take away the offer. I heard it is only on for the TdF and that's it.

UPDATE : Due to the fact that the Triban is all the way in Belfast I have decided that I am going to go for the Carrera (its closer and the after purchase help is far better and this bike then the Triban)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Hi lads, just wondering how you are getting on with this bike. Im going to buy one today. I have never cycled a racer style bike, i do a lot of mountain biking and frankly the tiny narrow tires on the racer look frightening. How do they grip in the wet? Can you fit wider tires on these same rims, not massively wider, but something like 32 wide?as the 23 wide tires that come on it seem to be one of the smallest sizes. I know there is no problem using different width tires on mountain bikes Without much trouble, just wondering is it the same with road racers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Don't worry about the narrow tires. I was worried about them too at first but after about a week I felt they were by far the best thing about cycling a road bike. They are so much faster, more responsive and lighter that it's easily worth the initial discomfort you feel from the road (this also goes away quite quickly) I recommend anyone getting a road bike and worried about some aspect of it should ride it for a couple of weeks before making up their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I'd go with the Btwin. The carbon fork being the deciding factor. They normally dont come on a road bike below 600 / 700 e. It should offer a better ride than the carrera,which used to come with stelll, but I believe is now alu. Carbon is also lighter. Other than that the bikes are similar and would offer a good basic bike for getting into the sport.

Have had the Carrera now for a week and I am in love with it. Great speed and very responsive. Can't wait to start college again so I can ride this bike into town on a daily basis! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Hey I'm know I'm digging up a really old thread here but has anyone bought a Triban 3/BTWIN before? As far as I'm aware you can only get them from decathlon.com or their stores neither of which
    deliver to ROI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Hey I'm know I'm digging up a really old thread here but has anyone bought a Triban 3/BTWIN before? As far as I'm aware you can only get them from decathlon.com or their stores neither of which
    deliver to ROI

There was another thread recently. The feedback is that if you actually call the Belfast store and speak to the hoomans via the telephone instead of ordering online (I know... weird right!?), they should be able to sort out delivery.

On the other hand the TDF is currently €312. Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Saw that TDF in halfords for 312 euros yesterday. It seemed like more than just BSO for the money. I acknowledge that they are built to a cost, so how does that manifest? road buzz through the fork and clunky gear changing or reliability ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

njburke wrote: »
    Saw that TDF in halfords for 312 euros yesterday. It seemed like more than just BSO for the money. I acknowledge that they are built to a cost, so how does that manifest? road buzz through the fork and clunky gear changing or reliability ?

From what I can tell, that and the Decathlon bike are the cheapest new road bike you can buy. Apart from BSOs.
    The tyres are probably awful, brake pads are probably awful, the fork is hi-ten steel, the whole thing is a little bit heavy for a road bike (wheels are heavy) but does it really matter?
    If there's road buzz, correct tyre pressure and gel tape on the bars should sort that, the gears should be fine if properly adjusted and maintained and a decent pair of tyres can be had for €20-€30.

I think it's a decent solid bike for knocking around on or commuting or training.
    Trying to decide whether to buy one myself.

b00m, just ordered the Triban 3; in case anyone is wondering you can order from deacathlon belfast all you have to do is select your item click 'reserve for collection' and also order a helmet for 14.99 which is just used as a delivery charge and then you ring them up with your address

boom

boom!

first road bike :D:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

b00m, just ordered the Triban 3; in case anyone is wondering you can order from deacathlon belfast all you have to do is select your item click 'reserve for collection' and also order a helmet for 14.99 which is just used as a delivery charge and then you ring them up with your address

boom

boom!

first road bike :D:pac::D

What's the final cost in Euro including delivery if you don't mind me asking good sir?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

this may help your brain from overheating :D:D
    http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

this may help your brain from overheating :D:D
    http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

If XE was perfectly accurate then that may be the case! No harm in knowing how the exact currency difference with fx charges and vat surely...

kessler182 wrote: »
    What's the final cost in Euro including delivery if you don't mind me asking good sir?

€364.408 EUR, just used the currency converter though! would need the bank statement to tell actual cost -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Did you get it yet ?

nah probably was gonna arrive tuesday wasnt until tuesday just gone that my order was fully processed

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Did you get it yet ?

boom, just arrived! (not bad seeing as my order went through on tuesday)

feels awesome just a tad small (ordered the 51cm d'oh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

How tall are you? I'm thinking about possibly getting one and was planning on the 51cm. How do you like it so far? I'm wondering if there will be much difference in the bikes now that the new ones don't have the carbon forks the older model did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

How tall are you? I'm thinking about possibly getting one and was planning on the 51cm. How do you like it so far? I'm wondering if there will be much difference in the bikes now that the new ones don't have the carbon forks the older model did.

The Triban black 5 is the one to go for I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭djtwigster

I have a black triban 5a. i got the 57" on the advice from the cycling department instore and its perfect for me at 5'9" and 32" inside leg.Great bike for approximately €510.

5ft 7~

the old model is still in stock in belfast, wish I had released the new one didnt have carbon forks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

boom, just arrived! (not bad seeing as my order went through on tuesday)

feels awesome just a tad small (ordered the 51cm d'oh!)

I was onto decathlon belfast and they said they didnt ship to the republic.

Advertisement