Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News of the World phone-hacking whistleblower found dead

Options
  • 18-07-2011 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

"Death of Sean Hoare – who was first named journalist to allege Andy Coulson knew of hacking – not being treated as suspicious

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/news-of-the-world-sean-hoare

Hertfordshire police would not confirm his identity, but the force said in a statement: "At 10.40am today [Monday 18 July] police were called to Langley Road, Watford, following the concerns for the welfare of a man who lives at an address on the street. Upon police and ambulance arrival at a property, the body of a man was found. The man was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after."

Doctor David Kelly anyone?

This scandal stunk already but has gone off the scale. Is the NWO so brazen?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

Spot on mate, unexplained death, 2 top met men gone today also.

David Kelly part 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Green Back

Interesting titbit from an Irish perspective on this 'scandal':

"The Met has also confirmed that the former editor of the Irish edition of the NOTW, Alex Marunchak, also worked for the force on a freelance basis.

They said he worked as a Ukrainian interpreter once in 1997 and six times in 1999 as well as on two translation assignments.

They said that they "recognise that this may cause concern" and that the police's language service is investigating."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Phone-Hacking-Scandal-John-Yates-Resigns-As-Met-Police-Assistant-Commissioner-Watchdog-Investigate/Article/201107316032564?lpos=UK_News_Second_UK_News_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_16032564_Phone-Hacking_Scandal%3A_John_Yates_Resigns_As_Met_Police_Assistant_Commissioner%2C_Watchdog_Investigate

Would you put anything pass the Met? Cetainly wouldnt trust them to investigate themselves :cool:

The whole British establishment is up to their neck in this one.
    Wonder what's round the corner, it's be one shock after another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Whether this is suicide or not, the general public is v interested in this case, so this will be extremely high profile.
    Edit: the more I read the dodgier this looks
    Decent live updates on the telegraph - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8617707/News-of-the-World-phone-hacking-live.html

Basically NWO would not print a story until they had "proof", and this became their modus operandi in many cases - to hack phones to obtain the information for their stories.

So effectively, they've been outing the truth - using illegal methods.

Scandalous? yes, Life-threatening? hardly
    (reaction seems to be more serious with this death)

Interesting anyway. Newscorps competitors will def be milking this for a long time. Murdoch has a lot of enemies inc. those in UK Gov (Vince Cable, etc)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Very interesting indeed

See how they planted the seed by Firing him for 'Drink & Drug' offences smear.

I'd be interested to see how this one is passed off as a suicide, its as if they take it for granted that no one will give a Sh1t anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Very interesting indeed

See how they planted the seed by Firing him for 'Drink & Drug' offences smear.

I'd be interested to see how this one is passed off as a suicide, its as if they take it for granted that no one will give a Sh1t anymore
    Well in fairness, he fully admitted to having drink and drug problems, so it's not exactly a stretch to think that he could have been fired because of it.

It's remarkable timing for him to die though. I'm not going to automatically assume it's anything but accidental until more info comes out, but I could well imagine some might want him out of the way before more court cases come rolling along.

That said though, will his death make much of a difference? Wasn't he the first public person to speak out, but not the actual first? I was under the impression that there were quite a number of informants.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

ah yeah but the Lad was a Showbiz journo. its hardly likely that he developed a drink or drug problem overnight, twas just a convienient brush to tar him with

I don't know, sounds like he was just trying to fit in with the showbiz life. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

humanji wrote: »
    I'm not going to automatically assume it's anything but accidental until more info comes out, but I could well imagine some might want him out of the way before more court cases come rolling along.
    What do you need a video of the murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

digme wrote: »
    What do you need a video of the murder?

Well that's taking the piss a bit isn't it? I think something more than speculation is what humanji might be looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

Well in fairness, he fully admitted to having drink and drug problems, so it's not exactly a stretch to think that he could have been fired because of it.

It's remarkable timing for him to die though. I'm not going to automatically assume it's anything but accidental until more info comes out, but I could well imagine some might want him out of the way before more court cases come rolling along.

That said though, will his death make much of a difference? Wasn't he the first public person to speak out, but not the actual first? I was under the impression that there were quite a number of informants.

I read something last week about him saying he had more info to release.

I'll try and find it.

...this article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

If you go to his Wiki page, it provides a link to the David Kelly page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

does anyone know the cause of death ?

NWO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

He probably died of a sudden heart attack induced by accidental cocaine overdose induced by a plastic bag full of cocaine accidentally held over his face.

(i saw this on reddit, and probably shouldn't have laughed, but i did)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

You couldn't make this up.
    Everyday it gets more intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

How long will it be before Tony Blair is mentioned in all of this, himself and Alister Campbell used the media for their own gains big time.

Boo Radley wrote: »
    Well that's taking the piss a bit isn't it? I think something more than speculation is what humanji might be looking for.
    The piss take is him thinking it wasn't anything but murder.
    That's just asinine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's just asinine.

It's asinine to require more information or evidence than just motive before jumping to conclusions? We know virtually nothing about this death yet. We have nothing to base a full conclusion or even full speculation on yet with regards the cause of death.

I agree, the motive is there, and there are some very powerful people involved in this. But I'd rather wait for more evidence or facts to come out before crying murder.

Barrington wrote: »
    It's asinine to require more information or evidence than just motive before jumping to conclusions? We know virtually nothing about this death yet. We have nothing to base a full conclusion or even full speculation on yet with regards the cause of death.

I agree, the motive is there, and there are some very powerful people involved in this. But I'd rather wait for more evidence or facts to come out before crying murder.
    Some people spend too much time in classrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Some people spend too much time watching conspiracy thrillers.

It's a bit ridiculous to call it murder before all the facts are in.
    Murder is rare. Deaths are not.

• Advertisement

As said above, we know nothing about it. And you've decided it was murder? On what grounds? What motive? How was it done? Who did it?

A man is dead. That's what we know. Unless you're privy to more information which none of us are and wish to share it, then I think I'll take my time in deciding what I believe happened.

Emiko wrote: »
    I read something last week about him saying he had more info to release.

I'll try and find it.

...this article.
    I didn't read that as him saying he had more info, but rather that a lot more will come to light as it's investigated. Which I have to agree. Just read this morning about Rebekah Brooks husband trying to get rid of a bag with a computer and files in it.

(I'm assuming you're referring to this line: "There's more to come. This is not going to go away." )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

I didn't read that as him saying he had more info, but rather that a lot more will come to light as it's investigated. Which I have to agree. Just read this morning about Rebekah Brooks husband trying to get rid of a bag with a computer and files in it.

(I'm assuming you're referring to this line: "There's more to come. This is not going to go away." )

According to the Guardian's Nick Davis (who is the journalist who broke the story), Sean Hoare
    He made no secret of his massive ingestion of drugs. He told me how he used to start the day with "a rock star's breakfast" – a line of cocaine and a Jack Daniels – usually in the company of a journalist who now occupies a senior position at the Sun. He reckoned he was using three grammes of cocaine a day, spending about £1,000 a week. Plus endless alcohol. Looking back, he could see it had done him enormous damage. But at the time, as he recalled, most of his colleagues were doing it, too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/sean-hoare-news-of-the-world?intcmp=239

Yeah I'm really struggling to see the cause of death here.

Sean had already spoken to the police and media, had been fired from his job, why on earth would anyone kill him?

Green Back wrote: »
    Doctor David Kelly anyone?

This scandal stunk already but has gone off the scale. Is the NWO so brazen?

It resembles Doctor David Kelly in two ways

A) Both Kelly and Hoare had already gone on the record and spoken about their problems with both the Dossier, and the News of the World respectfully. Therefore there would be little to gain from murdering either of them as the canary had already sung so to speak.

B) he died to the day 8 years after David Kelly (18 July 2003)

I don't know why on earth that would be significant but some CTers place great truck in this nonsense as if the NWO were being run by people with Aspergers

Sorry talke corrected me it's actually the 17th of July that David Kelly died, so the scuppers that theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

That's just asinine.

This is one of the most incredible things I've read on boards. I'm more than happy to engage anyone here in debating a theory but this is dogmatic assertion making.

Beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Its obviously a murder. Theres a very slim possibility of it being an accidental death.

The photo that was chosen of Mr. Hoare on today's Times cover was interesting - him smoking a cigarette. How many times do you see a dead person have such an unflattering photo of themselves get used in the papers and on TV?

A subtle way to convince the reader that it was a result of his former lifestyle 'catching up with him.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dr. Bad Touch

Di0genes wrote: »
    he died to the day 8 years after David Kelly (18 July 2003)
    Blatant nwo conspiracy then so, EVIL REPTILIANS! :p

The photo that was chosen of Mr. Hoare on today's Times cover was interesting - him smoking a cigarette. How many times do you see a dead person have such an unflattering photo of themselves get used in the papers and on TV?

A subtle way to convince the reader that it was a result of his former lifestyle 'catching up with him.'

Or perhaps he had such a habitual nicotine habit it was difficult to spot a photo with him not sporting a fag.

Once again
    He made no secret of his massive ingestion of drugs. He told me how he used to start the day with "a rock star's breakfast" – a line of cocaine and a Jack Daniels – usually in the company of a journalist who now occupies a senior position at the Sun. He reckoned he was using three grammes of cocaine a day, spending about £1,000 a week. Plus endless alcohol. Looking back, he could see it had done him enormous damage. But at the time, as he recalled, most of his colleagues were doing it, too.

The quote again from Nick Davis the lead journalist into the investigation into the phone hacking scandal

• Advertisement

Di0genes wrote: »
    Or perhaps he had such a habitual nicotine habit it was difficult to spot a photo with him not sporting a fag.

Don't remember many photos of Gerry Ryan doing a line being published, in the wake of his death. :rolleyes:

Advertisement