Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Size question

Options
  • 18-07-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Hey guys , I think I have bagged myself a good deal on a bicycle that can be seen here

My question is that I am 5ft 11 and inside leg is 32/33inch is that frame ok for me ??? thanks ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Too small! I'm same size as you & cycle a size 56 frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭plumber77

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I would reckon that the frame is probably too small for you.
    A generic bike frame calculator says that you need a 56cm frame.

frameh.jpg
    frameh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

thank you for all the replied , I really appreciate it . i have withdrawn my offer now :-)

shame because seems like such a good price :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

A 52 in Lappiere is the equivalent to a traditional 56. It should be the right size.

http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/lapierre/fitness-bike/2009/RCR-300-1/geometry;jsessionid=AC9BB2E95D0CEDE1F1765D18C8A1ACEE

• Advertisement

Little Pea wrote: »
    thank you for all the replied , I really appreciate it . i have withdrawn my offer now :-)

shame because seems like such a good price :-(
    Remake the offer and try it for size.

The 52cm roughly refers to the distance from the bottom bracket to the top tube. The RCR has a sloping top tube so this measurement comes in short than a traditional frame. If the top tube was horzontal the distance from bottom bracket to the top tube would be around 56cms.

Edit: I am an inch shorter than you and ride a 50cm giant bike (very sloping top tube). It is the equivalent to a 55cm traditional.

Thank you , I have agreed to meet up with him and test it out , hopefully it is perfect for me anyway , As I believe that the agreed price of €250 was a great one for this Bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cloinsigh

on the RCR it'll say both sizes on the seat tube. That’s the LaPierre size and the equivalent

Ask the seller what those sizes are

Little Pea wrote: »
    Thank you , I have agreed to meet up with him and test it out , hopefully it is perfect for me anyway , As I believe that the agreed price of €250 was a great one for this Bike.

My advice is dependent on the seller having measured it correctly!

cloinsigh wrote: »
    on the RCR it'll say both sizes on the seat tube. That’s the LaPierre size and the equivalent

Just waiting to confirm this , I shall report back :-)

• Advertisement

Seller has informed me that only found the Lapierre size (52 cm), not its equivalent , is this correct ??

So should this be good for me ???

hmm, my RCR 700 has both sizes, one just below the other. I think mine is 48 / 54 which I think is a little too small for me. I'm 5 foot 10.

When I get home at 6 I'll stick up the sizes.

Should be correct if this chart on the lapierre website is correct:
    rcr.gif

I cant believe how helpful this forum is , First time poster here and I must say by far the most helpful of posters I have ever come across on boards.ie

just forgot, my bike is in the boot of the car!

Yep, it's a 48 / 54. the 54 is much fainter but's it's there alright.

Also, thats an aluminium frame, not carbon as advertised. The front fork looks like its carbon.

I'd be very suspicious of the seller so because the RCR300 frame is ALU, forks are carbon

The RCR900 had the carbon frame

Right now you guys have completely put the doubt in my head and I just dont feel right about this deal , I think I'm going to pull out on the back of it , first time I didn't feel right about using adverts.ie as i have bought and sold their for years. Also as one person said if the price is too good to be true then it normally is :-)

this is an old thread but you never know
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73280429

I'd be very suspicious of the seller so because the RCR300 frame is ALU, forks are carbon

The RCR900 had the carbon frame

Any particular reason ?? what all should i be looking for if I was to go ahead with the sale ??

• Advertisement

I'd just be suspicious of someone selling a bike and not knowing what it was made of, especially saying it's a carbon bike when it's clearly not.

I dunno, he doesn't seem deliberately misleading. Maybe just doesn't know much about bikes. He weighed the bike and gave a reasonable estimate of what it would weigh.

Is there anything that I should be looking for when viewing the Bike , The meet is planned for Wednesday , You guys agree that its a hell of a price for the bike ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's entry level and he didn't use it much, so he's probably not going to know much about it. He could have heard "carbon" back when he bought it and assumed the whole thing was carbon.

It seems to be the old version of this bike:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=30983

So €280's not a bad deal.

Unless you know about bikes, there's not really much you can look out for. You can examine the frame and forks and look for obvious cracks, but outside of that I'd advise bringing it to bike shop after purchase for a quick service. Try get someone who knows about bikes to come with you if you can.

Seems that way to me , and through his PM with me he has been very helpful and plus we have agreed a price of €250 :-)

Met up with the guy , tested out the bike , Needs a good clean up and a new set of brakes going to degrease the chain tomorrow and clean the bike up tonight.

On the plus side I only gave him €200 euro for it :-) BARGAIN ! ! ! !

Be careful with the degreaser and don't use a power hose.

My cousin completely serviced the Bike , I'm just after finishing polishing/waxing it , its like its brand new now , Spent a bit of money getting it up to scratch but well worth it :-) Could easily sell it now for €400 plus :-) but never :-)

I have fallen in love with cycling again :-)

Great, now sell it and buy a road bike.:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement