Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help, Stolen laptop but I have LogMeIn installed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭obviousTroll

AFAIK richiek, the GPS module you are talking about will

A: only work while plugged into the computer, and the computer is on

and B: only sends the GPS data to the laptop in question.

Assuming the thief didn't remove the GPS unit, and you catch a lucky break by having LogMeIn or similar installed, then you MIGHT have a chance of recovering the laptop, otherwise it's a waste.

EDIT:
    Just saw your response on the bottom of your last post. Prey uses GPS on its phone software, so laptops should use it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richiek

AFAIK richiek, the GPS module you are talking about will

A: only work while plugged into the computer, and the computer is on

and B: only sends the GPS data to the laptop in question.

Assuming the thief didn't remove the GPS unit, and you catch a lucky break by having LogMeIn or similar installed, then you MIGHT have a chance of recovering the laptop, otherwise it's a waste.

AHA, thats what I was started to think halfway through writing my last post.
    but perhaps something like this could be used in conjunction with prey or other anti theft software, maybe the software could attempt to get a gps position also while it is generating a report.

again though I guess this also depends on if the thief/person who buys the stolen goods doesn't just outright format the machine once they get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I hate ppl who steal things....

I hope LOGMEIN will help you get it back...

See if you can get an IP address where the laptop is and then try to ID where that is..

Good luck buddy :)

Dude111 wrote: »
    I hate ppl who steal things....

I hope LOGMEIN will help you get it back...

See if you can get an IP address where the laptop is and then try to ID where that is..

Good luck buddy :)

Thank you! its always nice to hear support from people.

Sorry to all those following the thread, so far there is no real update other than the detective has gone to a judge to get another search warrant, but due to the size of the file and extra information, it will take time to process the case.
    In the meantime we have discovered that the guy who has the laptop has managed to reset the admin password and deleted all the accounts on it.

thankfully we have a time machine backup and logmein still seems to be functioning.

Will update again when I have more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Its amazing LOGMEIN is still working!! (The idiot must be the average criminal: "STUPID")

I hope you can get it back....... Log on and goto www.whatismyip.org and you should get an IP.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Maybe I asked this before, but is there anyway, you cluld get the MAC address of the wireless AP your laptop is connected to? If so, you can query googles DB of wireless APs, and could get GPS co-ordinates of its 'home'.

Let me know if you need more help or clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dude111 wrote: »
    Its amazing LOGMEIN is still working!! (The idiot must be the average criminal: "STUPID")

I hope you can get it back....... Log on and goto www.whatismyip.org and you should get an IP.........

You'ed be amazed what goes on.

Check out:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 golgi

just stumbled across this and Im extremely intrigued as to whats happened? Is the laptop returned to its rightful owner ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

This reminds a little of the Bourne Supremacy!

Hope you got the laptop back Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Might be worth a look, if you have a back up of an iphone. http://www.redcode.nl/blog/2011/04/reading-iphone-gps-data-from-backup-with-java/

As far as I know receiving stolen goods in germany is a serious offense as there are loads of laws on the subject post world war 2 to help the Jewish people get their goods back. Ask the officer he should be able to tell you.

• Advertisement

Cheers smokie, must check that out, I was looking at the database with MESAphp to look at individual entries, will have a look at that.

Sorry to not update more regularly, but unfortunately there hasnt been an awful lot of news for us either.

As it stands we managed to get a signifigant amount of detail from the iPhone and both us and the detective managed to find out the home address of the guy with the laptop.

the detective put the case in to get a warrant the other week, but as this was less urgent it took more time to get one which was a problem as the detective is now on holidays as of today and we only got the warrant on wednesday; despite the detective calling dailey to see if it was ready.

SO, theres more waiting for us, but hopefully when the detective is back we can co-ordinate a time to go get the laptop.

Thanks again everyone for your interest and support!

and @ syklops, I never managed to get the mac address no, I think someone mentioned that before alright, but we have quite a bit of information including home address and typical times that he might be home too so I'm leaving it up to the police now :)

thanks for the suggestion though

Just to update everyone on this case, Sorry there has been pretty much no News lately but there just simply has been no news, things were going very slowly with getting a new warant to search the guy home.

But, today all our waiting and waiting has paid off!!! the Police have recovered the stolen laptop and its is now in their custody, ready to be picked up by us today!

From my girlfriend and myself I would like to thank all of you who showed an interest and support with this whole thing, its been a lot of help.

I would also like to especially thank the Berlin Police department who were relentless and extremely patient. they did an absolutely wonderful job and I cant thank them enough!!

for your interest also, the other thread that was open is located here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73621370&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notify#post73621370

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

It's absolutely amazing that you managed to source it the way you did, I'm majorly impressed!
    Hopefully things will finally look up for you now OP :)

Cheers Sunshine! We're delighted ourselves.

Advertisement