Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to bring my dogs to austrailia

Options
  • 15-07-2011 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have two dogs a beagle and a puggle and we are thinking about going to oz, i would like to know how much it wud be to bring my babies with me from ireland how long would they be in quarantine? is it hard to get rented accomodation when you have pets? i cant leave them behind someone please HELP :(

Is there a quarantine station in brisbane?

Any info would be greatly appreciated x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Your best bet would really be to get on to the Australian embassy and see what they have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Definitely talk to the australian embassy. I believe all dogs have to do 1 month in quarantine there.

There are a few companies that will arrange the entire transportation of your animals, I've been looking into it for someone. The one we have been recommended is in England, but I don't know if there are any flights from Ireland to Australia direct anyway, so they would probably have to go from Heathrow. There is another place near Belfast that I have been told about as well, but again, I imagine the dogs would still have to fly to London first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Have a chat with them about quarantine with dogs who have had their lepto vaccine. I know a family who had to rehome their dog because it wasn't straight forward bringing them into australia because the dog had a lepto shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Step to step guide by someone who went through it with his dog ;):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70458669

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tired insomniac

that link is a good read^^. my buddies looked into bringing a rabbit over and twas gonna cost in the region of 2000euro. madness seeing as you need nearly 5 or 6g's to get a visa, but 7g's?? when the dog costs more to go than your own ticket, visa and months spending money personally i would draw the line! either that or bring him over as a puppy. but i wouldnt last 30 days without seein my dogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

You can visit them in quarantine I think. Wouldn't be nice but if you plan on setting up a home there for good a month is not a lot in the scheme of things.

I know a couple who paid in the region of 4k to bring a staffy over. I think they sent him over first, a week or two in advance. The quarantine time gave them a while to sort themselves out and settle in, now they have their dog back. They have their life there and are all so glad they made the move.

Best of luck OP, it can't be an easy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi sue3000,

This might be of some help and guidance

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

I love my dog very much and would not want to be separated, I know how you feel.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sue3000

if you got them over and stayed for a couple of years would there be a problem in getting them home to ireand? thanks so much for all the replys i cant leave them my dogs come everywhere with me even to work :o

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

You should be able to bring them back to Ireland so long as you have a pet passport and probably get them rabies vac and blood tested, although I'm not sure if the rabies bit would be necessary given that Australia is rabies free too I think.
    Be prepared to spend a lot of money and do a lot of paperwork to do all this. There are also quite a few vet visits for special blood tests etc which are probably mentioned in the post referenced (I was too lazy to read it :P)
    Might be worth asking if your local vet has done Australian pet exports as they might be familiar with the procedure too.

Advertisement