Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending a dog from Ireland to Australia

Options
  • 04-02-2011 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I've written this as a kind of mini-guide based on my experience, hope its of help to someone.

To start off you should begin at the following page and read the pages relevant to you:
    http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

In order to get quotes for your dog you need to take measurements of him/her. You need to measure his/her:

A. Length in cm = Nose to root of tail - tail excluded
    B. Height in cm = Floor to top of head while standing
    C. Width in cm = At the widest point

The reasons for this is that the crate for your dog needs to meet certain size standards (for example wide enough so that the dog can turn around or stand up comfortably). You are paying for the space your dog will take up on the plane not the weight of the dog. The bigger the dog the more expensive shipping will be.

I emailed a few different animal transport companies both here and in the UK and decided to go with Airpets Ltd (http://www.airpets.com) based just outside Heathrow airport. It worked out cheaper for me to drive over to them with my dog in my van than to send him from Dublin but in hindsight I would have sent him from Dublin to save myself the hassle and the long lonely drive back after handing him over.

In the Australian government’s eyes Ireland and the UK are considered low-risk contries for rabies so animals coming from Ireland or the UK only require 30 days in quarantine, as opposed to 6 months if coming from central/eastern Europe etc. Other places are banned outright (I believe South Africa is one). Conditions of entry are constantly changing so keep an eye out on the Daff website.

Basically all the info you need is on the Daff website but the pet cargo companies are very friendly and helpful too. I selected Airpets then got the ball rolling by picking a date and paying a small deposit (£50) plus the Oz Gov import fee (I think it was £150). Any animal coming into the country must be microchipped so get that done if you haven’t, vaccinations up to date obviously and kennel cough vaccination before (s)he goes is a good idea too. You will be given a date, based on your dog’s transport date, to take him/her to your vet for blood samples to be taken – it’s roughly 3-4 weeks beforehand. These samples then have to be sent to an Australian approved lab in the UK, not your vets one, for testing for rabies etc. The one I had my vet send his sample to was "The Central Veterinary Laboratory", Weybridge, Surrey, UK. The cargo company will tell you all that and send you the forms you need to give your vet etc.

Upon handing over your dog to the transport company (s)he will be inspected by an approved vet and they will sign paperwork to state (s)he is in good physical condition and suitable for travel. Once your dog goes (s)he will be on the same flight for the entire trip (to avoid getting bitten by a tick and infected while switching planes in Singapore for example) and when (s)he arrives will be greeted by Quarantine staff who will bring him to the centre you have selected (there's one in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth – contact details are below). Anything (s)he travelled with (bedding for example) will be destroyed. The crate the cargo company have supplied is yours and will be put into storage for you to collect when taking your dog. You will have no access to your dog on arrival at the airport or for the first three days and after that only at certain times depending on the centre:
    (http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/accom)

Once (s)he's ready to be collected you need to pay the quarantine centre directly, it's not included in the shipping quote. As it currently stands its $1,400 per dog which seemed awful expensive to me until I saw the facilities there and the care my guy was being given. The staff in the Sydney centre were amazing and everything has been thought of – for example the water bowls in each run automatically refill themselves when drank out of so there’s never a risk of your dog becoming dehydrated in the heat.
    While your dog is there exercise is important for him/her. If you cannot get to the centre yourself you can email the centre staff and add a person to your dog’s list of authorized visitors. Everyone who goes to see him/her must produce ID at reception. If you can’t make it and you have nobody near the centre who can then there are several professional dog walking companies you can pay to exercise your dog for you.

Once you have returned to where you live with your dog you need to register him/her with the local council. Just go in and fill out the form and they will give you a tag the dog must wear on his/her collar at all times. The annual licence for a neutered and microchipped dog is $10 here in Queensland.

There's a fair amount of paperwork and planning involved overall and the cost is astronomical but for me anyway it's been worth it all. I hope this is of help to anybody thinking of relocating and wanted to bring their hairy friend.

Diego in an exercise yard:
    IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    Diego in his run, the indoor section at the back was where he slept at night on a raised basket:
    IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    Happy and free now on a beach near here:
    IMG_0311.jpg

AUSTRALIAN QUARANTINE STATIONS:
    SYDNEY:
    The Animal Quarantine Station
    Wallgrove Road
    Eastern Creek, NSW 2760
    Tel: +61 2 8805 1020 or 9 625 4566
    Fax: +61 2 9832 1532
    MELBOURNE:
    Melbourne Quarantine Station
    Craig Street
    Spotswood, Vic 3015
    Tel: +61 3 9391 1627 or 3 9339 3344
    Fax: +61 3 9391 0860
    PERTH:
    Perth Quarantine Station
    Nettleton Road
    Byford, WA 6201
    Tel: +61 8 9525 1763
    Fax: +61 8 8956 2199

Visiting times Sydney:-
    Tuesday & Thursday 1.30pm - 3.30pm
    No visiting weekends or public holidays
    EMail: EasternCreek.AQS@aqis.gov.au
    Visiting times Melbourne:-
    Monday, Thursday & Friday 10.30am - 12noon or
    1pm - 4pm; Tuesday 1pm - 4pm only
    No visiting Wednesday, weekends or public
    holidays
    EMail: Spotswood.Quarantine@aqis.gov.au
    Visiting times Perth:-
    Monday - Friday 11.30am - 12.30pm
    EMail: ByfordQ@aqis.gov.au

GUIDANCE NOTES FOR DOGS AND CATS TO AUSTRALIA
    NB: The quarantine stations at Perth & Melbourne have limited space.
    Please provide as much notice as possible to ensure space can be reserved for you.
    Notable requirements for dogs & cats are as follows:-
    1. Import permit required from Australia, valid for 9 months.
    2. Permanent micro chip identification.
    3. DOGS ONLY: Blood test for Leptospirosis, Brucella Canis, Ehrlichia and
    Leishmaniasis within 30 days of export. NB. Your dog will need to have treatment with a
    long acting Acaricide within 24 hours of sampling and written poof of this must be supplied
    by your vet. All blood extractions will be done with your own vet and then sent to "The
    Central Veterinary Laboratory", Weybridge, Surrey for testing. Please note that all costs for
    the blood tests are payable direct to your own vet.
    4. Vaccination:
    Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo Virus, Para Influenza and Bordatella (kennel cough)
    Do not vaccinate for Leptospirosis as it could affect the blood test results. Vaccinations
    must be given at least 14 days and not more than 12 months prior to export.
    Cats: Feline Flu and Enteritus. Vaccinations must be given at least 14 days and not more
    than 12 months prior to export.
    5. Treatment against Internal and External Parasites.
    6. Ministry of Agriculture Export Health Certificate signed within 48 hours of export.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Nice looking Mutt.... I used to have a GS myself.

Whats yours mixed with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Nice looking Mutt.... I used to have a GS myself.

Whats yours mixed with?

Had one growing up, they're great dogs. He's crossed with an Akita, it's mostly in his coat and his temperament.

GalKiefer wrote: »
    Had one growing up, they're great dogs. He's crossed with an Akita, it's mostly in his coat and his temperament.

I can see it in his body length, plus his ass aint trailing the ground like most GS. That good no problem with the hips then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Fair play for putting that together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I was thinking what the cross was and am pretty foul on myself for missing that. Good looking dog indeed.

Thanks for posting that Gal your efforts are appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

What was the final cost (estimate) i'm thinking of heading over but i've two dogs so it will cost me a small fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Great thread fair play to you!

I am loving Diego..........I know he is a mixed breed but is it possible to get one like him or is he totally unique?

Hope he is settling in well in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Excellent information.

Who else did you look at along with airpets.com?

The two large pet freight companies within australia that I know of personally and that I know a lot of people have used are JetPets and Dogtainers. It's big business down here - lots of people buy pups and kittens from interstate breeders to be shipped. Some of the breeders I know also ship internationally (part of providing variety in blood lines).

Also fair play to you for bringing the hound along with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

amybabes wrote: »
    $200 a night - he was kept for 8 nights while they put paperwork together.
    We are all convinced that it was purely a money making scam as when he was taken into custody by immigration officers they told him they could have him on a flight the next day/were originally going to release him after questionning to let him book a flight for the next couple of days on his own accord.

Instead they detained him for 8 days for no good reason, he was fobbed off with excuses and then charged him for the cost of an open dated flight home - substantially higher than a flight he would have got himself.

Not getting into any arguments that he shouldn't have stayed illegally etc BUT it is fair to see he was really ripped off during the deportation process - hes now a few grand out of pocket when it could have been as simple as around $1200 for a one way flight home. Anway, prob the wrong thread to be discussing all this in!

Mod Yes, you are right - Back on track - this is about Dags ....

Wow this thread has come alive all of a sudden! :D
    What was the final cost (estimate)
    Roughly 7,000 euro door-to-door by the time vets bills etc are added to the shipping and quarantine costs.
    Dilynnio wrote: »
    I am loving Diego..........I know he is a mixed breed but is it possible to get one like him or is he totally unique?
    I've seen 3 similar type dogs since getting him but those breeds seemed a pretty rare cross in Ireland from what I saw - open to correction though. I haven't seen anything like him here in Australia and the quarantine staff hadn't in some time.
    Who else did you look at along with airpets.com?

The two large pet freight companies within australia that I know of personally and that I know a lot of people have used are JetPets and Dogtainers. It's big business down here - lots of people buy pups and kittens from interstate breeders to be shipped. Some of the breeders I know also ship internationally (part of providing variety in blood lines).

I know I got a quote from AirSea (http://www.airsea.ie) who are in Dublin but I'm sorry I can't remember who else and I've deleted the emails.
    amybabes wrote: »
    Good thread OP, I wonder does anyone know about bringing a dog from Australia back to Ireland - is it less strict with quarantine at home.

Direct importation from Australia is possible (ie. no quarantine) if you obey certain rules listed here: http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/introduction/

This is a pdf of the countries that pets can be imported into Ireland from (http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/animalhealthwelfare/eupetpassport/qualifyingcountriesandterritories/listqualifyingcountries200910.pdf).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Roughly 7,000 euro door-to-door by the time vets bills etc are added to the shipping and quarantine costs.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You'd want to seriously love that dog for that price, and he'd want to have a high life expectancy :)

I cant imagine the dog being too happy being in a cage on a long haul flight.

I lost count of the number of times I was told I was mental for even thinking about it but for me it's been worth it anyway, it makes this place feel like home.
    He's only 4 so i'll get a good few years out of him yet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 E.E.T

My cousins also brought their dog over from Ireland when they were immigrating years ago.
    They live out in the bush and didn't he get bitten by a snake/died.
    Be careful of your doggie! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Wow this thread has come alive all of a sudden! :D

Wow, and i've 2 only half the size of your guy but that kind of cost is impossible for me to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Nice read up thanks for the info guys ;).

I brought a car the last time and it was a major headache,this time i am considering Portia the Persian,has anyone brought a cat?

It's a topic still in family debate at the moment but if she didn't cost too much or the quarantine wasn't too long it would be a positive start.

Shes a pedigree,chipped/neutered and registered.

E.E.T wrote: »
    My cousins also brought their dog over from Ireland when they were immigrating years ago.
    They live out in the bush and didn't he get bitten by a snake/died.

Ya I've heard a few horror stories of dogs arriving and not being protected against ticks etc properly and being bitten by the likes of the paralysis tick, which dosen't end well... :(

Greg we had that issue with the cat when we left. In the end we got the cat a good home and adopted another three here. Cats dont care as long as they are fed.

Try Britishexpats.com

There was a woman there called bermudashorts and I remember reading she brought 2 cats and it cost £3000.

Zambia wrote: »
    Greg we had that issue with the cat when we left. In the end we got the cat a good home and adopted another three here. Cats dont care as long as they are fed.

True that,she is a little different to other cats though that we ever had,i don't think she would do well in the heat anyhow,i think a good experienced home will be probably the best outcome.
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    Try Britishexpats.com

There was a woman there called bermudashorts and I remember reading she brought 2 cats and it cost £3000.

:eek:,same price as a small family migrating.

Just wouldn't make sense at that price,some lucky felines they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 niamh19841

What about bringing a dog home? anyone know the procedure/costs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Great thread OP, thanks for sharing all the info.

Gregsor wrote: »

I brought a car the last time and it was a major headache

any chance of doing a thread on that experience please, Gregson?

The Lort smith Hospital in North Melbourne is forever looking for good homes for cats. If you have a cat in Ireland and are considering bringing it. Please if you can re-home it in Ireland and adopt here please do.

A lot of councils here will require you to register your cat. The fee is minimal if you neuter the animal. They also require a microchip so the animal can be scanned and returned if lost. Unchipped cats could well be put down by local animal control, feral cats are a really common sight in Melbourne.

big b wrote: »
    Great thread OP, thanks for sharing all the info.

any chance of doing a thread on that experience please, Gregson?

Yeah mate i will try,think i have some paperwork/receipts left around somewhere on it too,leave it with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Really useful thread! Thanks OP

Do you work for Efl.ie djorbital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 HayleyJ

I've written this as a kind of mini-guide based on my experience, hope its of help to someone.

To start off you should begin at the following page and read the pages relevant to you:
    http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

In order to get quotes for your dog you need to take measurements of him/her. You need to measure his/her:

A. Length in cm = Nose to root of tail - tail excluded
    B. Height in cm = Floor to top of head while standing
    C. Width in cm = At the widest point

The reasons for this is that the crate for your dog needs to meet certain size standards (for example wide enough so that the dog can turn around or stand up comfortably). You are paying for the space your dog will take up on the plane not the weight of the dog. The bigger the dog the more expensive shipping will be.

I emailed a few different animal transport companies both here and in the UK and decided to go with Airpets Ltd (http://www.airpets.com) based just outside Heathrow airport. It worked out cheaper for me to drive over to them with my dog in my van than to send him from Dublin but in hindsight I would have sent him from Dublin to save myself the hassle and the long lonely drive back after handing him over.

In the Australian government’s eyes Ireland and the UK are considered low-risk contries for rabies so animals coming from Ireland or the UK only require 30 days in quarantine, as opposed to 6 months if coming from central/eastern Europe etc. Other places are banned outright (I believe South Africa is one). Conditions of entry are constantly changing so keep an eye out on the Daff website.

Basically all the info you need is on the Daff website but the pet cargo companies are very friendly and helpful too. I selected Airpets then got the ball rolling by picking a date and paying a small deposit (£50) plus the Oz Gov import fee (I think it was £150). Any animal coming into the country must be microchipped so get that done if you haven’t, vaccinations up to date obviously and kennel cough vaccination before (s)he goes is a good idea too. You will be given a date, based on your dog’s transport date, to take him/her to your vet for blood samples to be taken – it’s roughly 3-4 weeks beforehand. These samples then have to be sent to an Australian approved lab in the UK, not your vets one, for testing for rabies etc. The one I had my vet send his sample to was "The Central Veterinary Laboratory", Weybridge, Surrey, UK. The cargo company will tell you all that and send you the forms you need to give your vet etc.

Upon handing over your dog to the transport company (s)he will be inspected by an approved vet and they will sign paperwork to state (s)he is in good physical condition and suitable for travel. Once your dog goes (s)he will be on the same flight for the entire trip (to avoid getting bitten by a tick and infected while switching planes in Singapore for example) and when (s)he arrives will be greeted by Quarantine staff who will bring him to the centre you have selected (there's one in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth – contact details are below). Anything (s)he travelled with (bedding for example) will be destroyed. The crate the cargo company have supplied is yours and will be put into storage for you to collect when taking your dog. You will have no access to your dog on arrival at the airport or for the first three days and after that only at certain times depending on the centre:
    (http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/accom)

Once (s)he's ready to be collected you need to pay the quarantine centre directly, it's not included in the shipping quote. As it currently stands its $1,400 per dog which seemed awful expensive to me until I saw the facilities there and the care my guy was being given. The staff in the Sydney centre were amazing and everything has been thought of – for example the water bowls in each run automatically refill themselves when drank out of so there’s never a risk of your dog becoming dehydrated in the heat.
    While your dog is there exercise is important for him/her. If you cannot get to the centre yourself you can email the centre staff and add a person to your dog’s list of authorized visitors. Everyone who goes to see him/her must produce ID at reception. If you can’t make it and you have nobody near the centre who can then there are several professional dog walking companies you can pay to exercise your dog for you.

Once you have returned to where you live with your dog you need to register him/her with the local council. Just go in and fill out the form and they will give you a tag the dog must wear on his/her collar at all times. The annual licence for a neutered and microchipped dog is $10 here in Queensland.

There's a fair amount of paperwork and planning involved overall and the cost is astronomical but for me anyway it's been worth it all. I hope this is of help to anybody thinking of relocating and wanted to bring their hairy friend.

Diego in an exercise yard:
    IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    Diego in his run, the indoor section at the back was where he slept at night on a raised basket:
    IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    Happy and free now on a beach near here:
    IMG_0311.jpg

AUSTRALIAN QUARANTINE STATIONS:
    SYDNEY:
    The Animal Quarantine Station
    Wallgrove Road
    Eastern Creek, NSW 2760
    Tel: +61 2 8805 1020 or 9 625 4566
    Fax: +61 2 9832 1532
    MELBOURNE:
    Melbourne Quarantine Station
    Craig Street
    Spotswood, Vic 3015
    Tel: +61 3 9391 1627 or 3 9339 3344
    Fax: +61 3 9391 0860
    PERTH:
    Perth Quarantine Station
    Nettleton Road
    Byford, WA 6201
    Tel: +61 8 9525 1763
    Fax: +61 8 8956 2199

Visiting times Sydney:-
    Tuesday & Thursday 1.30pm - 3.30pm
    EMail: EasternCreek.AQS@aqis.gov.au
    Visiting times Melbourne:-
    Monday, Thursday & Friday 10.30am - 12noon or
    1pm - 4pm; Tuesday 1pm - 4pm only
    No visiting Wednesday, weekends or public
    holidays
    EMail: Spotswood.Quarantine@aqis.gov.au
    Visiting times Perth:-
    Monday - Friday 11.30am - 12.30pm
    EMail: ByfordQ@aqis.gov.au

GUIDANCE NOTES FOR DOGS AND CATS TO AUSTRALIA
    NB: The quarantine stations at Perth & Melbourne have limited space.
    Please provide as much notice as possible to ensure space can be reserved for you.
    Notable requirements for dogs & cats are as follows:-
    1. Import permit required from Australia, valid for 9 months.
    2. Permanent micro chip identification.
    3. DOGS ONLY: Blood test for Leptospirosis, Brucella Canis, Ehrlichia and
    Leishmaniasis within 30 days of export. NB. Your dog will need to have treatment with a
    long acting Acaricide within 24 hours of sampling and written poof of this must be supplied
    by your vet. All blood extractions will be done with your own vet and then sent to "The
    Central Veterinary Laboratory", Weybridge, Surrey for testing. Please note that all costs for
    the blood tests are payable direct to your own vet.
    4. Vaccination:
    Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo Virus, Para Influenza and Bordatella (kennel cough)
    Do not vaccinate for Leptospirosis as it could affect the blood test results. Vaccinations
    must be given at least 14 days and not more than 12 months prior to export.
    Cats: Feline Flu and Enteritus. Vaccinations must be given at least 14 days and not more
    than 12 months prior to export.
    5. Treatment against Internal and External Parasites.
    6. Ministry of Agriculture Export Health Certificate signed within 48 hours of export.

Hey!

I saw your thread about bringing your dog to Oz. Well, I'm in a bit of a quandary. I would love to go to Oz, specifically Melbourne on a Working Holiday Visa and spend a year out there BUT I need to bring my dog, I couldn't imagine leaving her.

My dog is only small and 4 years old. I was expecting the total cost to get her out to Oz would be roughly 1,500 GBP but saw that you spent a hell of a lot more.

Basically, I just wanted some advice? I'm desperate to bring her but would it be silly when I'm only intending on going for a year. And would it be a similar cost to what you paid?

Hope you can help, I really appreciate it :)!

Thank you
    Hayley

I think you'd be absolutely mad to be honest Hayley. Which is probably not the answer you're looking for!

The quarantine fee is $1,400 regardless of the size of the dog so even without shipping and vet fees (both ways) you're looking at roughly 900 GDP or 1,500 euro to start off with. Then you'd have to think about things like finding accommodation where you could have your dog, a lot of landlords here don't want tenants with dogs - some, like ours, will allow you to have pets but charge extra rent.
    Not to mention the stress you'd be putting your dog through for the sake of one year. In my opinion you'd be better off having a friend or family member mind her for the year (or 2 if you do rural work for 3 months).

Feel free to PM me if you want to take this off thread.

Thanks for the reply and I do appreciate your honesty.

I'm willing to pay up to 1,500 GBP so that I can bring my dog with me - leaving her with someone else for a year is just not an option for me, I couldn't do it. But if the fees in total exceed that amount above, I may have to forget the entire trip :(!

I think my dog would be more stressed staying with someone else for a year than a month away from me in quarantine... she's quite a clingy dog.

I have a friend in Melbourne as well so I may be able to stay with him/or he'll help with me accommodation etc.

What do you think? Still the same? Maybe it is too unrealistic, but I would feel awful leaving my dog behind.

Thanks again,
    Hayley

Ps, isn't it a different procedure when returning. I think when you go back to the UK, dogs don't have to go into quarantine. I would just have to pay to ship her back and then have my UK pet passport.

I may be wrong?

• Advertisement

I don't know about the UK but yes there's no quarantine to bring a dog straight into Ireland from Australia as long as you follow certain rules and get the right paperwork sorted. I'd imagine it's the exact same though.

Best thing you can do is take your dog's measurements and email a few of the animal transport companies for quotes, at least then you'll have a much better idea of the costs involved for your dog.

I see on the DAFF website they've a new requirement:
    "From 1 January 2012, cats and dogs from the UK, Malta, Republic of Ireland, and Sweden will be required to have a rabies vaccination and rabies titre test prior to entry into Australia." So the cost of that test is another thing to bare in mind.

I'm not trying to run you into the ground, I completely understand your desire to bring your dog with you - I just don't think your 1,500 pound budget is realistic.

Advertisement