Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat Security?

Options
  • 14-07-2011 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

I hope you can help me and apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I'm just wondering what security systems, if any, that boat owners use on their yachts / cruisers etc.

My reasoning for the questions;

I'm bringing a product to market which may work within this industry, hopefully you can confirm or deny this

It's basically a small self contained alarm system,

Uses very little power (Mains / Battery / Separate Solar Panel)

GSM Based, so if activated, will text you. - Can also send you a picture of the intruder via MMS or Email.

You can then call & talk or listen in to the device if its activated.

It can be turned on / off remotely via SMS

I think that covers most of it, it will be a DIY install and very easy to install.

I'm hoping to retail just above the 200euro mark.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Would it be something like this.
    http://www.boatwarden.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KevinSSS

Thanks Fergal, looks similar except that is alot better equipped for the boating industry.... interesting, I'll have a look.

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,421 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Think your pricing may be off. It's hard to get a oem gsm modem for less than 80 euro. Add the rest, allow for packaging, marketing, cat etc and your on the wrong side of 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KevinSSS

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the reply, I'm happy with the retail price of approx €200.(excluding the solar panels) and have done all the figures.

I already have this product for the past while and have installed it in a few premises to test (primarily vacant homes for a landlord which I know, main reason being the picture message element, pretty much eliminates false alarms as you can see if someone is inside / not)

Sorry going a bit off topic. I was just trying to think of other avenues to pursue, but think BoatWarden have everything covered at this angle.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The boatwarden is a great bit of kit maybe more suited to bigger boats, it seems everywhere I go these days I hear of small boat's and ribs been stolen and a lot of engines, if you can come up with a small cheeper one I would say there is a market for it.
    Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ted1 wrote: »
    It's hard to get a oem gsm modem for less than 80 euro.
    Depending what capabilities you need, you can get embedded GSM modules from China for $15 each in quantity.

Advertisement