Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuckoo's

Options
  • 14-07-2011 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

This just came up in conversation the other day, I have a cockoo clock and a friend of mine from Wales metioned she used to associate the start of summer with hearing the first cuckoo, when she hear it chime.

I love their sound and I used to spend some time every summer in Northen Sweden where you constantly hear them. I live in Louth and one of my hobbies is hunting, so I spend as much time as I can in the fields. However, I never heard one in Ireland, so I just have a very basic question for you guys,. Are there cuckoo's in Ireland?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Are there cuckoo's in Ireland?

yes :) See this thread. I do remember hearing them a lot as a child but not for years* until last year then heard a few in Mayo this year.

* but maybe I wasn't listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

littlebug wrote: »
    yes :) See this thread. I do remember hearing them a lot as a child but not for years* until last year then heard a few in Mayo this year.

* but maybe I wasn't listening.

Cheers thanks for that, maybe I need to be a bit more aware myself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Check out this really cool project - already one Cuckoo has arrived back in Africa!!:eek:

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/satellite-cuckoos.html

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mecksimay

Cuckoos in Ireland for sure but are getting less common :( Had a friend from Dublin who didn't hear one until he was in his mid 20s, seems Alien to me as a Galway lass!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

April - June hear them non stop here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Check out this really cool project - already one Cuckoo has arrived back in Africa!!:eek:

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/satellite-cuckoos.html

Thats mad, had a male still singing here in the slieve blooms yesterday:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

mgwhelan wrote: »
    Thats mad, had a male still singing here in the slieve blooms yesterday:eek:

I've noticed that Cuckoo activity has continued later then normal in this part of the country too - I can only put it down to the poor weather of May and most of June that must have delayed breeding etc. The cuckoos that are being tracked in the UK are from East Anglia were the weather has been far better then here, so they could obviously attempt to migrate earlier then our ones

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

there's at least three young cuckoos out here on the Dawros peninsula, Donegal.

Advertisement