Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuckoo 2011

Options
  • 18-04-2011 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

:) I've just heard the cuckoo for the first time this year!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Heard one yesterday for the first time this year, near Keshcarrigan, Co. Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ardilaun

Heard my first for this year yesterday morning 17 Apr between Cong and Clonbur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 romulus augustulus

I envy you all ! I haven't heard a cuckoo here in this part of South Kilkenny for many , many years . Falling numbers seem to have done for them around here . Would absolutely love to hear one again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Ardilaun wrote: »
    Heard my first for this year yesterday morning 17 Apr between Cong and Clonbur

Was this in the Woods/ along the trail? I'm a bit further south and I haven't heard a cuckoo in the 8 years I've been here. I must take a walk in the woods one of these fine days.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭glenkeo

Heard one outside letterkenny this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I envy you all ! I haven't heard a cuckoo here in this part of South Kilkenny for many , many years . Falling numbers seem to have done for them around here . Would absolutely love to hear one again .
    There was one calling out in Holly Lake yesterday,and one calling out in Ballykinsella (Tramore road) today,whatever part of south Kilkenny you'r in you'r not far from the lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Cuckoo calling on Clara Bog on 20/04/11

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

One calling on Knockrory hill above woodstock estate in inistigue a couple of evenings last week , have also heard and seen them on the bunclody approach to Mount Leinster the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

never heard one at all. wouldnt even recognize the sound. maybe someone could put up a recording of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Watched a BBC programme on the Cuckoo before, and it really is crazy.

As if laying the egg in another birds nest isn't enough, once it hatches, it rolls the other eggs/chicks clean out of the nest! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The aunt in Castlerea Co. Roscommon heard her first one yesterday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

emo72 wrote: »
    never heard one at all. wouldnt even recognize the sound. maybe someone could put up a recording of it?

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/cuckoo/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

heard one today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

whyulittle wrote: »
    Watched a BBC programme on the Cuckoo before, and it really is crazy.

As if laying the egg in another birds nest isn't enough, once it hatches, it rolls the other eggs/chicks clean out of the nest! :eek:

think i saw that programme.

another good point about them is how they can change the colouration of their eggs to suit whose nest they are laying in.

they also said that its a good strategy for them as they could lay about 8 eggs in different nests as opposed to just laying about 4 in their own nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

well, would i hear one in lucan or surrounding area?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Lucan - unlikely. I think Irish cuckoos have a preference for meadow pipit host so you need to aim for that habitat. Have heard them where bogland and forestry meet in Kildare and Wicklow. E.g. Glendalough. Also Aran islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Lads, am here recovering from having heard 5 and seen - yes, seen - 4 cockoos today! At Clonbur :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

heard one yesterday and today in Foxford
    (sunday and monday)

Connacht wrote: »
    Lads, am here recovering from having heard 5 and seen - yes, seen - 4 cockoos today! At Clonbur :D

I spent an hour in Clonbur today and not one cuckoo to be heard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Connacht wrote: »

what are these "Cockoo's" you speak of?:D

sorry couldnt help myself!

• Advertisement

marlin vs wrote: »
    There was one calling out in Holly Lake yesterday,and one calling out in Ballykinsella (Tramore road) today,whatever part of south Kilkenny you'r in you'r not far from the lake.
    Thanks for that (and to Cardynal) . I'm not too far from Holly Lake , but am obviously too far to hear him .I remember hearing the Cuckoo around this area up to the early 80's , but not since . Numbers have declined alot since then I'm sure .

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

trebor28 wrote: »
    think i saw that programme.

another good point about them is how they can change the colouration of their eggs to suit whose nest they are laying in.

they also said that its a good strategy for them as they could lay about 8 eggs in different nests as opposed to just laying about 4 in their own nest.

The common cuckoo species as a whole does this, but individual females always lay eggs of the same colour, patterning and size, and stick to parasitising one host species - the one that originally fostered them.

Studies suggest that the genes determining the appearance of the egg are only inherited from the female bird (probably on the W sex chromosome), so females can mate with any males and yet still lay eggs with all the attributes needed to fool the host species. This is what stops the cuckoo from splitting into sub-species - one for each different host.

The evolutionary arms race between cuckoo and foster parents has fascinated biologists for years. A program on the radio a couple of weeks ago talked about some of the research done. It should still be available to listen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ardilaun

littlebug wrote: »
    Was this in the Woods/ along the trail? I'm a bit further south and I haven't heard a cuckoo in the 8 years I've been here. I must take a walk in the woods one of these fine days.

Littlebug I live down near Golden Bay and hear him most still mornings. Heard him this evening and went up the road to see how close I could get and spotted him on the very top of a very tall tree. This was about 45 mins ago and it was hard get photos on my phone. It was also getting dark. Managed to record him tho so thrilled with that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

The Donegal Dawros cuckoo has arrived. Just got a text message, not from the cuckoo.

Heard my first cuckoo of the year just outside Castlebar this afternoon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

I was over in the west last week and i heard plenty of them calling in and around Oughterard. I managed to get a photo of one (a little hazy). They are very wary birds i found it difficult to get close to one to get a clear photo.
    00280837.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

heard one near drumlish in longford yesterday.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I think the cuckoo numbers must be up in the west this year I heard four in different areas on one day last week and regularly hear her during the fine weather. One landed on a tree right over my head and was cooing her heart out. Another landed on esb wires a short distance from me. Apart from this only seen her once on top of a eircom pole, had binoculars to hand at the time was superbhappy0064.gif

They remind me alot of a sparrowhawk in their colouring and pattern on their feathers....

artieanna wrote: »
    I think the cuckoo numbers must be up in the west this year I heard four in different areas on one day last week and regularly hear her during the fine weather. One landed on a tree right over my head and was cooing her heart out. Another landed on esb wires a short distance from me. Apart from this only seen her once on top of a eircom pole, had binoculars to hand at the time was superbhappy0064.gif

They remind me alot of a sparrowhawk in their colouring and pattern on their feathers....

Interesting that you should say that you think that numbers are up . As I have mentioned previously in this thread , there are no cuckoos near me , but it does seem to me that there are more summer migrants than usual, blackcaps , chiff-chaffs and willow-warblers are the ones that I have noticed there being more of than last year at least . Has anyone else noticed this too or is it just me ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

2 heard in Glendalough/Laragh area on Sunday 1st May and one heard at home on Monday 2nd :)

Advertisement