Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA to acquire PopCap Games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Am i missing something ? The only game i recognize from popcap's wiki is bejewel... which was just a wee timewaster game (I had the wow plugin :D).

Whats there most known/best game ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Peggle, Plants vs. Zombies? Have you been living in a cave with CoD? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Interesting times indeed :p

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Peggle, Plants vs. Zombies? Have you been living in a cave with CoD? :P

wait... EA paid nearly a billion for a couple of ****ty iphone games ??? THE **** ??

There's iPhone,iPad,Android,Android Tablet,Windows Phone 7,xbox,ps3,DS,dumbphones and of course PC games too, so they got their money's worth.

• Advertisement

True. Still... donno why anyone would be upset about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

CombatCow wrote: »
    There's iPhone,iPad,Android,Android Tablet,Windows Phone 7,xbox,ps3,DS,dumbphones and of course PC games too, so they got their money's worth.

You forgot Mac, Flash and Facebook :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Magill wrote: »
    wait... EA paid nearly a billion for a couple of ****ty iphone games ??? THE **** ??

Those ****ty games earned their developer over 100 million dollars last year.

stimpson wrote: »
    You forgot Mac, Flash and Facebook :D

:p Indeed, also forgot symbian *shudder*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A Call of Duty player calling Plants vs Zombies and Peggle (two games that are basically digital ecstasy) '****ty iPhone games'?

Give them a go and get back to us.

• Advertisement

A Call of Duty player calling Plants vs Zombies and Peggle (two games that are basically digital ecstasy) '****ty iPhone games'?

Give them a go and get back to us.

Don't see what me being a CoD player has to do with it, im not into iphone/arcade games, i had a look on youtube... look pretty boring to me. Each to their own tho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

its probably something to do with the fact that you play one of the most boring, unimaginative games out there and then criticise plants & zombies and peggle.

its probably something to do with the fact that you play one of the most boring, unimaginative games out there and then criticise plants & zombies and peggle.

Its obviously not that boring since its the most played MP game of all time is it ? :D Either way, completely off topic.. this thread isn't about CoD, its about Popcap.

EA Will make these games ever better as they awesome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well you keep saying they're ****ty iPhone games when in fact both originated on PC, and are available on pretty much every format due to an adaptable control scheme (360, PS3, mobile etc..). CoD Zombies is available on iPhone, for example, but that doesn't mean I write it off as a ****ty iPhone game (I write it off as just plain ****ty ;))

But seriously, give it a go. A youtube video does no justice to either game - the manic strategy of a PvZ level or the joy of Ode to Joy are simple pleasures only experienced by actually, y'know, playing it. I find watching videos of games for the most part super dull anyway, and would rather make up my mind by playing 'em :) I think you'll find an awful lot of people agree: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/plants-vs-zombies or http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/peggle-deluxe

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

But seriously, give it a go. A youtube video does no justice to either game - the manic strategy of a PvZ level or the joy of Ode to Joy are simple pleasures only experienced by actually, y'know, playing it. I find watching videos of games for the most part super dull anyway, and would rather make up my mind by playing 'em :)

"That music is just for me! Nobody else listen to it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

>Hear about game
    >WATCH a VIDEO of a GAME
    >make up your mind that this game couldn't possibly be fun
    >you haven't actually PLAYED the GAME!

Single-genre noobs make me rage something fierce.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

To place this in perspective, Plants vs. Zombies gets a higher rating across all platforms than Black Ops. And MW2 on PC.

Download the Demo: http://store.steampowered.com/app/3590/?snr=1_4_4__13

Well you keep saying they're ****ty iPhone games when in fact both originated on PC, and are available on pretty much every format due to an adaptable control scheme (360, PS3, mobile etc..). CoD Zombies is available on iPhone, for example, but that doesn't mean I write it off as a ****ty iPhone game (I write it off as just plain ****ty ;))

But seriously, give it a go. A youtube video does no justice to either game - the manic strategy of a PvZ level or the joy of Ode to Joy are simple pleasures only experienced by actually, y'know, playing it. I find watching videos of games for the most part super dull anyway, and would rather make up my mind by playing 'em :) I think you'll find an awful lot of people agree: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/plants-vs-zombies or http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/peggle-deluxe

I said it once after quickly google searching it because thats what it looked liked to me.

I took your advice and tried both out last nite.. peggle was boring but the zombie plant game wasn't too bad, seemed like it would be a great wee iphone game to pass some time travelling.
    Overheal wrote: »
    To place this in perspective, Plants vs. Zombies gets a higher rating across all platforms than Black Ops. And MW2 on PC.

Download the Demo: http://store.steampowered.com/app/3590/?snr=1_4_4__13

Yeah well... GTA4 has a higher rating than Shadow of the colossus, perspective. Donno why people are comparing CoD (You'd swear people think thats the only game a CoD player plays the way some people are on here) to a indie Real-Time Strategy game tho... apples and eggs.

You'd swear people think thats the only game a CoD player plays the way some people are on here

/looks at Magills youtube channel

Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I said it once after quickly google searching it because thats what it looked liked to me.

Hey now, you know the rules around here: You're only allowed pass snap judgments on games you've never played if it's an installment in a popular series of FPS games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Lets not forget about Zuma! Playing that on the xbox at the moment and it's fantastic. On temple 9 and its bloody difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It could have been an awful lot worse. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

EA Will make these games ever better as they awesome.
    Peggle 2, Peggle 3, Peggle Ultra Max, Peggle with Cows... More is not always better.
    gizmo wrote: »
    It could have been an awful lot worse. :)
    Holy f**k, that is more awful!

The skinny from Popcap:

An open letter to all our players:

As some of you may have heard, we recently announced that PopCap Games is being acquired by Electronic Arts, a small mom-and-pop boutique software publisher. What does this mean for the future? It’s simple:

1. EA is being rebranded to Poptronic Arts
    2. Sim Zuma: The SwampLife Edition
    3. Peggle: Dead Space – Bjorn’s Breakfast
    4. Bejeweled Battlefield Blitz
    5. Plants vs. ZombEAz: NFL Lockout Edition

Wow!
    Ok, not really.

It means PopCap will join forces with one of the world’s largest game publishers, giving us access to many more resources and a greatly expanded global audience. It doesn’t mean that PopCap is going away or changing what we do or how we do it. On the contrary, PopCap’s creative culture is the main reason EA was interested in us. We’re not changing our focus from creating awesome casual games everyone can enjoy.

So what should you really expect from us in the future as part of EA? More! More games, more platforms, more players, and more fun.

PopCap has been around for more than ten years now, and we look forward to bringing you great games for at least another decade to come!

Sincerely,

Your friends from PopCap

stimpson wrote: »
    The skinny from Popcap:

An open letter to all our players:

As some of you may have heard, we recently announced that PopCap Games is being acquired by Electronic Arts, a small mom-and-pop boutique software publisher. What does this mean for the future? It’s simple:

1. EA is being rebranded to Poptronic Arts
    2. Sim Zuma: The SwampLife Edition
    3. Peggle: Dead Space – Bjorn’s Breakfast
    4. Bejeweled Battlefield Blitz
    5. Plants vs. ZombEAz: NFL Lockout Edition

Wow!
    Ok, not really.

It means PopCap will join forces with one of the world’s largest game publishers, giving us access to many more resources and a greatly expanded global audience. It doesn’t mean that PopCap is going away or changing what we do or how we do it. On the contrary, PopCap’s creative culture is the main reason EA was interested in us. We’re not changing our focus from creating awesome casual games everyone can enjoy.

So what should you really expect from us in the future as part of EA? More! More games, more platforms, more players, and more fun.

PopCap has been around for more than ten years now, and we look forward to bringing you great games for at least another decade to come!

Sincerely,

Your friends from PopCap
    Famous last words
    Yeah well... GTA4 has a higher rating than Shadow of the colossus
    Actually GTA 4 got 90, SoC got 91... If you want to look at consoles GTA4 got a lovely 98, but the point still supported from top of the page is PvZ is not some knock-off tower defense game that you've dismissed as garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Famous last words

Apart from what happened to Westwood/Bullfrog, what makes you say that?

Doodee wrote: »
    Apart from what happened to Westwood/Bullfrog, what makes you say that?
    I could talk about SecuROM or about EA mandating 100 hour work weeks. Which would you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Was talking to the guys from PopCap a few months back, and they said they spend a lot of time polishing their games, on little things such as the pitch of the sound when a ball hits a peg in Peggle, and how PvZ took them 5 years to make. As much as EA has improved, I just can't see them allowing PopCap to spend 5 years on one game like that. Hope I'm wrong.

Thats why you'd never see Valve go Public, or allow itself to be bought out - not that anyone could afford them now with Steam having taken off so wonderfully. If they were under EA when they were developing Half Life 2 or Teamfortress 2 for example? Teamfortress 2 would have come and gone a long time ago, and it would look like this:

Tf2_oldstyle.jpg

This version was the original build (not including TFC) but was scrapped for a Source Engine port, where they ended up making 3 other complete builds before scrapping each and landing on what is known today:

Team_Fortress_2_Screenshot.jpg

8-9 years of development. And fairly iconic at that.

The battlefield series? Well......

2011 Battlefield 3
    2011 Battlefield Play4Free
    2010 Battlefield Online
    2010 Battlefield: Bad Company 2: Vietnam
    2010 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    2009 Battlefield 1943
    2009 Battlefield Heroes
    2008 Battlefield: Bad Company
    2007 Battlefield 2142: Northern Strike
    2006 Battlefield 2142
    2006 Battlefield 2: Armored Fury
    2006 Battlefield 2: Euro Forces
    2005 Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
    2005 Battlefield 2: Special Forces
    2005 Battlefield 2
    2004 Battlefield Vietnam
    2003 Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII
    2003 Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome
    2002 Battlefield 1942
    I mean sure I can tell you which raked in more money, but I can also tell you which is the better series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

I could talk about SecuROM or about EA mandating 100 hour work weeks. Which would you reckon?

100 hour work weeks plz.

Do you have experience working with EA?

Thats why you'd never see Valve go Public, or allow itself to be bought out - not that anyone could afford them now with Steam having taken off so wonderfully. If they were under EA when they were developing Half Life 2 or Teamfortress 2 for example? Teamfortress 2 would have come and gone a long time ago, and it would look like this:

Tf2_oldstyle.jpg

This version was the original build (not including TFC) but was scrapped for a Source Engine port, where they ended up making 3 other complete builds before scrapping each and landing on what is known today:

Team_Fortress_2_Screenshot.jpg

8-9 years of development. And fairly iconic at that.

The battlefield series? Well......

I mean sure I can tell you which raked in more money, but I can also tell you which is the better series.

True, and in contrast how Valve decided to release L4D2 so quickly after the first one, and the backlash that ensued.
    Or hey, lets not forget HL2:Episode 3.

Advertisement