Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged 350 euro for Fire Brigade to show up and leave.

Options
  • 12-07-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

So around 7 months ago my chimley went on fire and i called the Fire Brigade.
    They arrived and spent 5 minutes shoving a broom up the chimney and left.

Now today i recieve a 350 euro bill.

Is this a joke? :mad:

Does anyone else have similar storys of being charged this amount?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 sadman18

It's not a joke. You have to pay for the fire brigade in certain counties. I know in County Cork and Dublin the service is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

IT is up to you to maintain and clean your chimney, if you don't they go on fire,
    so it's your fault it happened, same fee applies if you start a bone fire in your garden and there is a call out.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

what will happen if i can literally not afford the 350 euro?

Its not me who owes the money its my mother and were very short on cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

Yep and if they hadnt come out there would be more than €350 worth of damage....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

If you don't pay it they will follow it up and eventually you will have a court summons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

you do have ot pay for calling the fire service and like I am a Friend says it would have been a lot more out of your pocket if they had not come.

Count yourself lucky you did not call them after getting injured and stranded........€700 call out fee for a friend of mine:eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Moved from PI,

Maple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

your house insurance should cover this cost, did when our chimney went up in flames last christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

Maple wrote: »
    Moved from PI,

Maple

Im very sorry i couldent find a suitable area to post it,

Yeah i dont have a clue what were gonna do because we cant afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

I seen a bill for same for €800 in the Monaghan area 2 months past. House Insurance, pay the bill. Be thankful it was sorted in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If you are a genuine hardship case, then all to whoever sent the bill and explain your circumstances.

As others pointed out, had you not called them, you might have faced more than €350 damage. What would you have done then?

If you are insured, contact your insurers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Just if your insured and have a no claims bonus, it could affect you similar to losing your no claims bonus on your car insurance.

I looked at it for an elderly neighbour a few years ago and overall they would have paid back twice the price of the call over the following years (their insurer kindly quoted me)... Their insurance quote almost doubled the following year and it would have taken them the 5 years to get it back to its reduced amount.

As others stated you could contact them and explain that your a genuine hardship case - in the above instance the County only charged for one appliance (two appliances were sent, one each from two equidistant towns and the first on scene cancelled the second appliance). They also were willing to take payment in installments.

Also if your mother is elderly I would most respectfully suggest looking at ways of avoiding a re-currance - chimney liner or moving fully to central heating. The above house had 4 fires in about 3 years (2 requiring fire brigade) as the elderly householder couldnt manage the fire safely - it only stopped when they lined the chimnney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

All home insurance policies cover fire brigade call out charges however you will likely be charged the excess - probably 250/300 - which means you will only get 100 bucks or less plus likely lose any no claims bonus you have earned pushing your premium up for the next couple of years so it would cost you alot more in the long run.

Plus,as it was 7 months ago and you probably didnt inform your insurer at the time then its unlikely it would be covered anyway.

Fire brigades charge different rates in different counties,each set by the local authorities.

It can be calculated in various ways like

number of men X number of engines X time taken from leaving the station til the engine returns.

There are other ways of calculating it too.

Best bet would be ring your local authority and see what they have to say.They may have an installment plan that might suit you but certainly dont ignore it as it will likely lead to legal repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

All home insurance policies cover fire brigade call out charges however you will likely be charged the excess - probably 250/300 - which means you will only get 100 bucks or less plus likely lose any no claims bonus you have earned pushing your premium up for the next couple of years so it would cost you alot more in the long run.

ACTUALLY NOT ALL INSURANCE POLICIES COVER FIRE BRIGADE CHARGES!
    Read the small print!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56306505&postcount=1

Now, to answer the OP's Question:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56392396&postcount=12

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57831628&postcount=22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

You're charged for the fire brigade to come and rescue your home!?!?!? How awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Magaa wrote: »
    So around 7 months ago my chimley went on fire and i called the Fire Brigade.
    They arrived and spent 5 minutes shoving a broom up the chimney and left.

Now today i recieve a 350 euro bill.

Is this a joke? :mad:

Does anyone else have similar storys of being charged this amount?

First off i don't agree with Fire Brigade charges.

Nothwithstanding that your thread title "charged 350 euro for Fire Brigade to show up and leave" is completely inaccurate.

The Fire crew didn't just show up outside your house and feck off without doing anything.

The checked your chimney using chimney rods (not a broom) and probably a stirrup pump and extingushed any remaining fire.

If the chimney fire was already extingushed before they arrived it is irrellevant. The mere fact of them properly checking that it was in safe state gave peace of mind to your family.

Your thread title implies they rocked up to your house, fecked off and then sent you a bill for 350 quid for nothing.

Goonerdee wrote: »
    You're charged for the fire brigade to come and rescue your home!?!?!? How awful!

Yep a €1900 bill which from what I can see wouldn't be covered by most insurance companies the most that is usually covered is around €1500 but as I said not all insurers include FB charges at all!

I had to call them I live in a semi D if I hadn't called them it would have been alot worse and believe me it was bad!

But €1900 is crazy money to charge for an emergency service IMHO notwithstanding the fact that I had other issues with them on the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I never knew the fire brigade charged any sort of fee. Up here in NI the only time the fire brigade charges a call out fee, is to comercial premises when it is found a member of staff has set off the fire alarm when there is no fire. Even persistent nuisance cases aren't charged unless it is serious enough to end in court.

I take it firemen down South don't rescue trapped pets/animals without the caller having to pay for it either?

Goonerdee wrote: »
    I never knew the fire brigade charged any sort of fee. Up here in NI the only time the fire brigade charges a call out fee, is to comercial premises when it is found a member of staff has set off the fire alarm when there is no fire. Even persistent nuisance cases aren't charged unless it is serious enough to end in court.

I take it firemen down South don't rescue trapped pets/animals without the caller having to pay for it either?

In general I don't know, they did rescue my cat from the house but he had to be PTS afterwards his lungs were fecked with the smoke poor thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

You have to wonder what we pay taxes for?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

skelliser wrote: »
    You have to wonder what we pay taxes for?!

how much tax do you pay? You think it really covers
    fire brigade,
    police,
    ambulance,
    customs officers,
    revenue officers
    judges
    dpp
    chief state solicitors
    court service
    prison officers
    probation service
    maintenance of all buildings
    maintenance of all vehicles
    prisoners
    social welfare
    nurses
    doctors
    midwives
    social workers
    teachers
    sna's
    passport office
    embassies abroad
    childrens facilities
    the multitude of ombudsmen and their offices
    government
    army
    navy
    air corp
    dublin bus (which runs at a loss btw)
    civil defence
    maintenance personnel in schools, hospitals, etc
    an teasce
    department of education
    In fact lets just say all clerical sectors of the civil service to save typing more

That's what springs to mind, apologies to all the staff and agencies I missed.

I doubt very much that charging each person 350 per call out would cover the cost of having the service nor do I think taxes should be increased to cover people that don't bother to take preventative steps.

Eru wrote: »

I doubt very much that charging each person 350 per call out would cover the cost of having the service nor do I think taxes should be increased to cover people that don't bother to take preventative steps.

And charging someone €1900 means that I have to foot the bill for the wages of the fire staff who attended my house that evening
    And that is fair in your opinion?

Pray tell what "preventative steps" could I have taken to prevent a socket in my wall igniting & sending sparks along the conduit to ignite small fires behind other sockets which eventually lead to several slightly bigger fires in different parts of my kitchen eventually engulfing the entire room & damn near the entire house while I was asleep at 2am?
    Note the socket that started the whole debacle was the cooker control switch and was badly wired
    The house was less than 2 years old when I bought it and was fully inspected prior to purchase

angelfire9 wrote: »
    And charging someone €1900 means that I have to foot the bill for the wages of the fire staff who attended my house that evening
    And that is fair in your opinion?

Pray tell what "preventative steps" could I have taken to prevent a socket in my wall igniting & sending sparks along the conduit to ignite small fires behind other sockets which eventually lead to several slightly bigger fires in different parts of my kitchen eventually engulfing the entire room & damn near the entire house while I was asleep at 2am?
    Note the socket that started the whole debacle was the cooker control switch and was badly wired
    The house was less than 2 years old when I bought it and was fully inspected prior to purchase

Normally the fees barely cover the costs of staff involved in your actual call-out. Taxes cover the training, equipment, diesel usually, station, management, the 999 operators, etc...

I worked in the States where when Fuel prices went up in 2008 some fire departments (That didnt charge) started refusing some non-domestic fire calls, and most small rural fires, as they couldnt afford the fuel involved (and that was with volunteer firefighters).

While I sympathized with my neighbour (earlier post) I was, and they were, delighted that they had the ability to call the Fire Brigade to assist. They were also (despite being a state pensioner) only glad that they could cover some of the cost involved.

If there was an electrical fault is it possible that there was faulty wiring or equipment that wasnt detected by whoever did the building inspection for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Eru wrote: »
    fire brigade,
    police,
    ambulance,
    customs officers,
    revenue officers
    judges
    dpp
    chief state solicitors
    court service
    prison officers
    probation service
    maintenance of all buildings
    maintenance of all vehicles
    prisoners
    social welfare
    nurses
    doctors
    midwives
    social workers
    teachers
    sna's
    passport office
    embassies abroad
    childrens facilities
    the multitude of ombudsmen and their offices
    government
    army
    navy
    air corp
    dublin bus (which runs at a loss btw)
    civil defence
    maintenance personnel in schools, hospitals, etc
    an teasce
    department of education
    In fact lets just say all clerical sectors of the civil service to save typing more

That's what springs to mind, apologies to all the staff and agencies I missed.

The air must be thin being so high up on your horse!!

If anything these "call out" charges kinda defeat the purpose, you would swear the fire brigade should never leave the station.
    Better yet why not bring the fire to them!

Seriously tho, god forbid someone might not ring the fire brigade for fear of being charged and a tragedy occurs.

btw i have the upmost respect for frontline public servants.

lst wrote: »
    Normally the fees barely cover the costs of staff involved in your actual call-out. Taxes cover the training, equipment, diesel usually, station, management, the 999 operators, etc...

I worked in the States where when Fuel prices went up in 2008 some fire departments (That didnt charge) started refusing some non-domestic fire calls, and most small rural fires, as they couldnt afford the fuel involved (and that was with volunteer firefighters).

While I sympathized with my neighbour (earlier post) I was, and they were, delighted that they had the ability to call the Fire Brigade to assist. They were also (despite being a state pensioner) only glad that they could cover some of the cost involved.

If there was an electrical fault is it possible that there was faulty wiring or equipment that wasnt detected by whoever did the building inspection for you?

Yes... it is currently moving slowly through the legal system

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

If I call the fire brigade for someone else am I liable for the fee's or does the recipiant of their services get charged?

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Yes... it is currently moving slowly through the legal system

Therefore there is preventative steps that should have been taken, in this case not by you. However that person will hopefully be found liable for all costs - including fire brigade costs.

I do sympathize with your situation, and I would love if we could have a Nationwide Free Fire Service, however I agree with ERU in that our *relatively* lower taxes have enough to pay for, and we are lucky that they pay for the infrastructure for a fire service that we can call on and get a good response in most parts of the country within a reasonable timeframe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,757 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Warning issued for this comment. Attack the post, not the poster.

No further comment on this post please and thanks.

Back on topic.
    skelliser wrote: »
    The air must be thin being so high up on your horse!!

lst wrote: »
    Therefore there is preventative steps that should have been taken, in this case not by you. However that person will hopefully be found liable for all costs - including fire brigade costs.

I do sympathize with your situation, and I would love if we could have a Nationwide Free Fire Service, however I agree with ERU in that our *relatively* lower taxes have enough to pay for, and we are lucky that they pay for the infrastructure for a fire service that we can call on and get a good response in most parts of the country within a reasonable timeframe.

By the time it gets to court my eldest daughter will be in college (she is 9 now)
    :(

At the end of the day a nominal fee is reasonable and certainly for a chimney fire I would expect it
    But charging almost 2 grand to attend a serious house fire where there are flames billowing out windows and smoke pouring out around the door frames of a timber framed semi detached house is a bit Irish IMHO

• Advertisement

If I call the fire brigade for someone else am I liable for the fee's or does the recipiant of their services get charged?

The age old debate - I know callers who have got the bill, and I know callers who have been sent the bill by the service recipients (who felt that they didnt need/ call / want the fire service so shouldnt have to pay).

I think the "Beneficial user" is meant to get the bill... So if you call for a tree on the road the land-owner of where the tree came from will probably get the bill, even though your the road user etc.

I called not too long ago for a car that was apparently on fire and had the occupant in it a few seconds beforehand. Unbeknownst to me and the witnesses the occupant and children had got out and car had rolled and started smoking.

Occupants first question or comment, isnt thanks for potentially saving my family's life - instead it was "who pays for fire brigade". They didnt apparently recognize the gravity of what it appeared had happened, and would have been happier we wasted time making sure there was someone in the car to get burnt to death before getting help...

Despite their best efforts to the contrary (and I told them to send me the bill if thats all they were bothered about) Id always call first and worry about the bill later....

Advertisement