Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iomega Screenplay DX & MX

Options
  • 11-07-2011 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Tried googling but couldnt spot anything so just wondering can anyone tell me what is the difference between the Iomega Screenplay DX and MX media players? Seen both on display in a shop but price varied a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Have a look here
    http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/multimedia-drive/screenplay-multimedia-drives/?partner=4760

DX has a QWERTY remote, wireless adaptor and is DLNA certified. Slightly better specs overall. looks a bit better too.

I have an old screenplay and although the interface is junk the actual box has never failed me and will play all my files. I might however wait till this comes out before I purchase again http://www.iomega.com/iomegatv-media-center/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but since you have an iomega drive maybe you can answer this.

I have a screenplay MX HD, works etc fine, but one issue I have is when a video file is over it starts the next one straight away. is there a way to turn this auto next feature off?

Clearly I could go through every TV show and put each episode into a separate folder, but that is tedious and I can just press stop instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Spang_Joe

Gonna get in on this thread as there is very little info out there.

I have a 2tb Screenplay Director and its magic. Never failed me, but the yes the UI could do with a serious revamp.

As for the auto-next feature, i dont think there is a way to turn it off.

And for the MX vs DX debate, im on the fence about which to get. The main issue for me would be codec support. Does one offer better than the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 WAS guitaro

Firstly, The iomega media tanks... Far as I know, the MX is a stripped down DX with no internet functions or NAS server. Dont expect the DX or DX HD to be a home NAS, it cant write files to a network destination.
    I have suffered trying to get the library system running for movies and music. And I'm fairly tech savvy. Manuals have no detail and very litle info is available for online help, the iomega support forum is not indexed by google. To be fair, They will play virtually any file you throw at them but they are not great for organizing a large media collection and have no file search function!!. Network speeds are way below what it says on the tin, best use the USB for file transfers instead. Unless you live in USA, forget about the online apps. Netflix may not arrive for months, if ever & it launched in UK/ROI weeks ago. This is despite it having being available on the DX HD for USA customers since inception. They only launched a iphone remote control app 4 days ago, I didnt find same on android market yet. The DX HD does come with a Wi-Fi dogle, in fairness and a basic web browser so you can make a LCD TV into a smart TV on the cheap. flash wont work for RTE player or TV3 atchup though. Very good hardware, let down by a poor GUI and software, a real shame... But to be fair, these are good value for 200 Euro and 50 less than western digital.

Western digital TV Live Hub (1tb) is slick piece of kit, it only lacks wireless (dongle can be got seperate)... and a web browser, though it has tons of online content and a much easier remote control. it does have far more available Apps/widgets. Lots of iphone, android, remote access apps, faster network speeds, a customisable skin, sleek styling, regular firmware updates and IMHO will probably be better supported in future. Iomega have launched their new Boxee model (with no hard drive on board) very similar to the D-link boxee.

If you're needs are basic, get a DX HD, if you want a smooth, easy experience and you also need built in storage, shell out for the WD TV live hub. You coud get a d-link boxee or screenplay boxee and plug in a USB hard drive. Boxee is kinda like a stripped down version of XBMC (the best media software of all time! IMO and it's FREE!) go to www.xbmc.org and get it for Windows, Mac or linux. It's so good it will almost make you breakfast! BTW be carefull if shopping online... Screenplay "DX" has no hard drive, the "DX HD" does. The "WD TV Live" has no hard drive, The "WD TV Live HUB" has a 1TB. Go for those if you have a big USB drive to plug into them... and look for demo videos on youtube! or use an old PC with a big hard drive and install XBMC on it for free! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I'm getting in in this thread too!

I'll echo what has been said already. The DX UI is ****, and so is the remote, but it plays everything. Word.

Anyone try getting XBMC onto it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Ronan H wrote: »
    I'm getting in in this thread too!

I'll echo what has been said already. The DX UI is ****, and so is the remote, but it plays everything. Word.

Anyone try getting XBMC onto it?
    To follow up on putting XBMC on the media player - has anybody tried installing XP or a linux based OS on the hard drive and autorunning software like boxee etc. from that?

Might be something for me to test out - not sure what processor and RAM the Director is packing but I'm sure there's a light OS out there which it could handle.

D'Agger wrote: »
    To follow up on putting XBMC on the media player - has anybody tried installing XP or a linux based OS on the hard drive and autorunning software like boxee etc. from that?

Might be something for me to test out - not sure what processor and RAM the Director is packing but I'm sure there's a light OS out there which it could handle.

Regarding the XBMC thing, I tried the other night a few times but to no avail. The stock OS (as such) seems to be buried in a hidden partition and keeps overriding my XBMCbuntu attempts. I only used basic level formatting though, maybe a deep clean or scrub would get through it?

Regarding the XBMC thing, I tried the other night a few times but to no avail. The stock OS (as such) seems to be buried in a hidden partition and keeps overriding my XBMCbuntu attempts. I only used basic level formatting though, maybe a deep clean or scrub would get through it?

Maybe formatting the drive with DBAN would do the trick or eseaus partition manager might show the partition up

Maybe formatting the drive with DBAN would do the trick or eseaus partition manager might show the partition up

Nice one, thanks for the recommendation. I hope it works when I do it, otherwise I might be just left with a 1TB hard drive with no way to reinstate the stock software! :eek:

Nice one, thanks for the recommendation. I hope it works when I do it, otherwise I might be just left with a 1TB hard drive with no way to reinstate the stock software! :eek:

Check if you can take an image of the drive with clonezilla just in case, or can you create a restore point for it although not sure what software you'd need

• Advertisement

Check if you can take an image of the drive with clonezilla just in case, or can you create a restore point for it although not sure what software you'd need

Excellent stuff! Weekend project, will report back with success hopefully!

Hmmm, a curiosity has emerged...

It's a 1TB drive, on paper, but in actuality its 931mb, which seems to be the correct size given the two different ways it is measured (1000 Vs 1024 etc), so I'm now wondering if the stock OS is hardcoded into the machine somewhere?

I used diskpart to check for partitions and there is only one listed for it. I must try a few other more hardcore apps to see if they show anything up...

What you reckon about the hardcoding?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paulclan

Hi All,

Iomega screenplay MX.

Decided to verify and check permissions on a mac with Paragon installed to be able to read & write as I has some backup docs I wanted to dump off.
    Disk Utility on the mac showed three dulled out partitions as well as the main partition.
    Maybe this will help folk to scrub off the inbuilt interface, and help those wishing to install XMBC

Screengrab of Disk Utility.
    Information query says no access of any kind to these Linux disks.
    disk 2s1 ,2s2, 2s3.

Upload rejected trying again!

I haven't had a chance to take a look at this properly - hopefully this weekend I'll be able to take a look on Windows with a Eseaus or some other partition manager to see if it shows the same partitions.

If you completely wipe the partitions of the inbuilt software, would I be correct in assuming that you'll need to install an OS on the drive and then run XMBC from there...

I wonder if it's possible to get the media player to boot to USB, in which case I'd run an OS off the USB and have it auto run XMBC on startup so it would be a roundabout way of accessing your TB drive with a different software.

Well now, I've hit a dead end on my end. It appears that it is impossible to install XBMC on the DX because of incompatibilities between the architectures of the CPU chips, i.e. XBMC runs on Intel and another type, but the XBMC chip runs on something else.

Sorry I know that's a bit vague. I had more precise information the other day and I posted it somewhere else, and I can't remember where. In any case, it looks like it isn't a runner.

@ paulclan: Interesting that the MX has other partitions visible. Doesn't seem to be the case on the DX, although I am happy to be corrected on that!

Well now, I've hit a dead end on my end. It appears that it is impossible to install XBMC on the DX because of incompatibilities between the architectures of the CPU chips, i.e. XBMC runs on Intel and another type, but the XBMC chip runs on something else.

Sorry I know that's a bit vague. I had more precise information the other day and I posted it somewhere else, and I can't remember where. In any case, it looks like it isn't a runner.

@ paulclan: Interesting that the MX has other partitions visible. Doesn't seem to be the case on the DX, although I am happy to be corrected on that!
    Have you tried something other than XMBC i.e. Boxee or other media software?

Have you tried something other than XMBC i.e. Boxee or other media software?

No, in fact I haven't even considered the possibility would you believe.

I tried Easeus PM on the drive and all it brought up was the one single partition, so I remain in the dark as to how the stock software is loaded on there. I've never used EPM before so perhaps there's some advanced parts of it that can see more in depth stuff?

Are you still planning to have a look on there to get an opinion on it? That would be cool ;).

If the drives are wiped completely, there is no separate OS required on the machine. There is a build of XBMC called XBMCbuntu which is (as far as I can gather) essentially a Linux distro that has been fiddled to run a version of XBMC that has been designed for the likes of external HDs and media players like the DX. You burn a bootable ISO and install it on the drive.

A good potential workaround if you could boot the DX from the USB indeed, but I don't think that's an option AFAICS. At least I've never seen it on the GUI.

Must look into Boxee or similar. I got sidetracked totally by XBMC when I installed it on the laptop that my world revolved around it for a while, not thinking that there might many alternatives out there!

Either way though, the stock software seems to remain on the box somehow! :confused:

To be honest my plan was to have a look at it over the course of the past two weekends but unfortunately the sauce has gotten me on both occasions :pac:

I've done some looking into it there and it doesn't seem possible to get rid of the software that's on it.

For now I'd like to try the idea of installing an OS on a USB and setting it to autorun boxee etc. upon booting.

That mightn't be possible for all I know - first thing that springs to mind is how do I set the Media player to boot to USB rather than the partition holding the in-built software.

I've bookmarked some articles that I've come across but I won't get around to properly reading them until tomorrow I'd say in case somebody wants to take a look:

Link 1: This is a very long and detailed run through changes to the iomega - that said - you can see from the length of time the user has spent working on it and documenting it that you could potentially be opening a can of worms.

Either way - there are links to the next articles at the bottom - he keeps updating it but it does look like somewhat heavy reading so I'll need some time to properly look at it (work is busy atm :( )

Link 2: This is more of a run through how to modify the existing setup on it rather than an overhaul - some nice tips in it - especially with regard to the Winamp playlists - Audio is something I haven't used the Screenplay for enough.

• Advertisement

Link 1: This is a very long and detailed run through changes to the iomega - that said - you can see from the length of time the user has spent working on it and documenting it that you could potentially be opening a can of worms.

Dang. Brother likes to hack! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The root (admin) password is usually kept in the /etc/shadow file.

It has a form something like this

root:$1$FHzvp0Im$IBqlXHNloWovE4eOPqZ1v0:15577:-1:99999:-1:::

From a LiveCD of Linux, logged in as root user, the file can be opened, the string
    "$1$FHzvp0Im$IBqlyHNloWovE4eOPqZ1v0:13577"
    can be deleted so the line looks like this

root::15577:-1:99999:-1:::

Save the file.

The root user of that OS now has a blank password, so one can easily log in as root user and while in, change the password (maybe using the passwd command) to whatever one wishes.

The reason for the above is that on a quick read of the 'Link 1' it seemed he had a problem with permissions because he didn't have the root password.

From a LiveCD of Linux, logged in as root user, the file can be opened, the string

Save the file.

The root user of that OS now has a blank password, so one can easily log in as root user and while in, change the password (maybe using the passwd command) to whatever one wishes.

The reason for the above is that on a quick read of the 'Link 1' it seemed he had a problem with permissions because he didn't have the root password.

Nice work. This is turning into a hack club. I cannot contribute much to this technical malarkey, so, I guess I'll make the tea...

Watching with anticipation!

Ro

Save the file.

Well....I guess it's time I gave linux a proper crack of the whip!

I'll pretty much be doing this blind as I've zero experience on linux/shell etc.

Hopefully at Christmas I'll give this a lash as I'm hoping to format my laptop and fire a linux distro on it - any suggestions as per which version to use or does it matter atall JohnBoy? - I'd imagine it won't make a difference atall!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Well....I guess it's time I gave linux a proper crack of the whip!

I'll pretty much be doing this blind as I've zero experience on linux/shell etc.

Hopefully at Christmas I'll give this a lash as I'm hoping to format my laptop and fire a linux distro on it - any suggestions as per which version to use or does it matter atall JohnBoy? - I'd imagine it won't make a difference atall!

Yes there are differences between the distros, and you really need to try to define what you want from the OS in the medium term to try to evaluate which to choose.
    The other major consideration in the beginning is the hardware you will use.

All distros I have tried will have the needed utilities and applications etc that one might want to use in this situation - if not already installed, then with a couple of clicks can be installed from that distros repository of software.

I would suggest, before you think of installing anything, that you should download several distro ISOs, run them 'live' on the hardware to find out

1. Do you feel relatively comfortable in the environment despite it being different to what you are used to (and I don't mean its looks/colours/wallpaper which are all easily changeable)

2. Does the OS seem to 'play nice' with your hardware. There will be likely some minor problems, but so long as they are minor they should not put you off that distro. My advice there would be to use the distros own forum, search for similar problems posted by others, and see if the solution is easy to implement. If so then it is minor.

Distros I suggest you test are

Linux Mint
    PCLinuxOS (latest torrent downloads are here http://terasaur.org/search?query=pclinuxos )
    Mepis
    Mageia 2

If the PC is old you would be advised to choose a light weight desktop environment --- the visual desktop environment itself is separated from the underlying OS and can be changed ... distros normally have ISOs of two or three DEs or make it easy to change once installed.
    For instance LXDE is lightweight and fast but you would not have all the 'bling' of KDE DE.

You really, IMO, need to try out a few and see how YOU feel about each.
    The biggest challenge is choice .... in everything related to Linux :D You make the decisions all the way through.
    I guess that is why it is perceived as 'harder' than an OS which makes most of the decisions for you. It is empowering though ;)

A word of warning ..... don't expect it to be 'another Windows'. It is not.
    Like modes of transport which are designed for one purpose --- riding a motorcycle is not the same as driving a car or using a pedal bike.
    You will need to get used to a different way of doing things to get the same result.

Sorry for the waffle!
    I get verbose at time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Hi all,

Searched the entire boards, and here seems the most suitable… Forgive me if I'm wrong and feel free to move to the correct place Moderators....

I'll cut to the chase. We lost/misplaced/exploded the remote control for my iomega screenplay MX2 and rather than spend bucks on a replacement, I have a programmable remote here off another device that should be able to control it… Does anybody know what the 3 digit code for these media player remotes are? There is a 4 digit code that appears on the web, but that won't work, and anywhere I've searched seems to suggest that a 3 digit code is applicable.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Currently unemployed, as is my other half, so spending money is a last resort.

Thank you all in advance.

I came across the following from doing a quick search through some forums
    If you are in warranty, you can contact technical support to see if they have any remotes available. If not, you will have to use a universal remote. The remote controls for the ScreenPlay MX and ScreenPlay MX Mobile use customized code, so you can't map a universal remote for either player using standard codes. If you want to use a universal remote control with your ScreenPlay, you need one that can imitate or learn the key behavior of the remote that ships with the player. For example, the Logitech Harmony 700 universal remote control can learn the key mapping for ScreenPlay remotes. Refer to the documentation included with the universal remote control for instructions.

It's unlikely you'll get a decent remote for it as I'm fairly certain the screenplay director has been discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Thanks for the reply D'Agger

emmetlego wrote: »
    Hi all,

Searched the entire boards, and here seems the most suitable… Forgive me if I'm wrong and feel free to move to the correct place Moderators....

I'll cut to the chase. We lost/misplaced/exploded the remote control for my iomega screenplay MX2 and rather than spend bucks on a replacement, I have a programmable remote here off another device that should be able to control it… Does anybody know what the 3 digit code for these media player remotes are? There is a 4 digit code that appears on the web, but that won't work, and anywhere I've searched seems to suggest that a 3 digit code is applicable.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Currently unemployed, as is my other half, so spending money is a last resort.

Thank you all in advance.

I'm in a giving mood today. I still have my Screenplay DX at home, but its unused now as I have moved on to an XBMC box.

You are welcome to have it for the reasonable fee of zero Euros.

I don't just mean the remote, I mean the whole thing, so then you will have two, or a spare, or an extra paperweight.

How does that grab ya?

• Advertisement

How come he gets a free terabyte?? :pac:

Fair dues Ronan that's a nice gesture!

Advertisement