Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Did a proper FTP test on the turbo today. Followed the instructions on the laptop to a tee. Nice steady warm up then absolutely balls out in a fairly big gear for 2 minutes, 2 minutes recovery and the 20 minutes at as close to full pelt as I could maintain. I really went for it towards the end, the computer egging me on "Go on, Go on.... Faster Faster...Harder... That's it" like osome kind of Nympho Mrs Doyle. My heart rate went higher than I've ever seen it just before the finish, gasping for breath and leaking sweat, spit and snot all over the place. Nearly threw up. 5 minutes cool down was more like 5 minute just trying to stay on the saddle.
    I hit finish on the laptop, my results flashed up on screen. I hit "save" but the big blob of sweat on the touch pad wasn't playing ball and the bastard cursor shot over to the "Don't Save" and discarded my spin.
    My legs are still sore an hour later. I'm fked if I'm doing that again anytime soon.

Hehe ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ton up today, over 29kph average once stops taken out, PB's on climbs and a Strava top 10 ...

Missed calls from An Post, Qick Step and even Sky .......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ton up today, over 29kph average once stops taken out, PB's on climbs and a Strava top 10 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

RobFowl wrote: »

Wrong number probably. They called me too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Headed out into the rain today: fine.
    Then came the sleet: fine.
    The came the snow: ...

20 mins later, the road was white, visibility was crap, speed was down and clouds were in. Temp was very cold.
    Headed for home.

Not worth going out when the best you hope for is an injury free ride and you don't get a chill.

1 hour in total, 20odd k. Right decision but feels wrong :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Woke this morning, saw the 2 degrees and sleet and thought "feck that'. Got dressed anyway to see how it panned out - forecast was to clear. Headed out into manky sleety rain and hail stones - got to rendezvous in rathoath and its cleared up. Spin took us back into clonee, down the strawberry beds and lap of the Phoenix park, followed by some much needed coffee and cake.

All in all 62km. Not too bad for the day that was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

A disappointing 32km in 1hr 25. Hailstones are a great way of killing your mojo. Was planning on 2 laps of the Park and then out to Lucan via the Strawberry Begs and back home via the canal. Hail hit as I was going up Chesterfield Avenue, soaked the feet and led me to bail out and head home bia the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

Hard 100km yesterday, found it hard to psych myself up for a repeat this morning but headed over to meet the 9AM bunch anyway, felt OK by the time we rolled out.

Just over the railway bridge in Kildare there was a lot of glass on the road, one of the lads called it and I thought I had avoided it till 500M later when my front tyre blew, then the fun started, no way could we get the little nut off the valve stem, despite everything we threw at it no way would it budge, eventually before we all froze one of the lads cycled back to his house and got me a spare wheel and we got moving again, then the rain, hail and snow started.....

We took a bit of a shortcut off the far end of the route so finished up with 80km for the day and am starting to thaw out again now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Headed for the Slieve Blooms this morning. It was cold and at the top of the climbs the clouds were in and it was snowing. Looking forward to the flu I get from the spin today, roasting while climbing and then freeze while descending. Delighted I did it though

63.5km, 23 km/h, 1289m

83359B90-4A3F-437C-A4FA-7721321D1FF6_zpsw7ln4nyi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭columbus_66

115km today, best spin of the winter so far, Drumree, Tara, Screen, Kilmessan, Summerhill , all over the place. Plenty of muck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Ok so I know the weather in Wicklow can catch you out but today was ridiculous! Started out from Greystones in lovely sunshine. Headed down to Rathnew and on to Rathdrum. Started getting cold then up to Laragh but nothing too bad. Got to Laragh and decided to head up the Wicklow Gap. About halfway up it started to snow. Hard. Road was ok but snow was getting worse so turned around and headed down. Very cold going down but that's expected. I thought, when I get down out of this it'll be ok. Laragh now had snow too but not sticking. Then I got to Annamoe. Blizzard conditions and the road was completely covered and I ain't got the tyres for that! Very slippery and had a few dodgy moments. Was seriously cold at this stage and getting slightly concerned as cars were now starting to have trouble. Struggled on a little bit more but was getting nowhere. Then a car pulls up and a woman asked if i needed a lift! Turned out we both live in the same apartment block and is a cyclist so i got a lift and a new buddy! I really don't think I've ever been so cold.

So, all in all 60kms done and a major lesson learned.

https://www.strava.com/activities/493281963

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Ok so I know the weather in Wicklow can catch you out but today was ridiculous! Started out from Greystones in lovely sunshine. Headed down to Rathnew and on to Rathdrum. Started getting cold then up to Laragh but nothing too bad. Got to Laragh and decided to head up the Wicklow Gap. About halfway up it started to snow. Hard. Road was ok but snow was getting worse so turned around and headed down. Very cold going down but that's expected. I thought, when I get down out of this it'll be ok. Laragh now had snow too but not sticking. Then I got to Annamoe. Blizzard conditions and the road was completely covered and I ain't got the tyres for that! Very slippery and had a few dodgy moments. Was seriously cold at this stage and getting slightly concerned as cars were now starting to have trouble. Struggled on a little bit more but was getting nowhere. Then a car pulls up and a woman asked if i needed a lift! Turned out we both live in the same apartment block and is a cyclist so i got a lift and a new buddy! I really don't think I've ever been so cold.

And on Valentine's day too?? Elaborate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

rushfan wrote: »
    And on Valentine's day too?? Elaborate!

Haha no! Cycling buddy, thats all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

My Thesaurus says that also reads as "Riding buddy" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

All the horror reports of bad weather but it was a great day for cycling around Tipp today. A bit chilly but fine otherwise.

105k at 28.1km/h with 852 elevation gain (?).

Clonmel - Cahir - Tipp town - Cashel - Clonmel to Kilsheelan and home to Clonmel again, the utter refusal to stop when you touch near 90km ismt good, gotta make the 100 somehow!

All done solo again so maybe its time to start thinking about a club /group for these longer spins but just wary of being dropped too early as the group I'm considering are a pretty advanced lot.

Weather permitting I think i will try a spin involving The Vee to get some proper climbing in as that's my weakest part.

[url] https://www.strava.com/activities/493317079[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭alentejo

Lovely late evening spin up stocking lane and up towards the featherbeds. Cold but lovely late evening sunshine.

So, all in all 60kms done and a major lesson learned.

https://www.strava.com/activities/493281963

Was planning going across the Wicklow Gap in the morning,this has made my mind up.Think ill stay on the lower slopes.

I thought only damsels were supposed to be rescued 😜

A friend with benefits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Nice spin today, no drama. It was chilly enough and breezy at times but the sun was shining for the whole spin.
    Longwood - Trim - Hill of Tara x 2- Navan - Trim - Longwood.
    81km in bang on 3 hours, 27kmh

https://www.strava.com/activities/493477925

I'm following a Strava training plan for the last few weeks so I did a good bit of it pushing big gears at low cadence at Tempo pace. Knees and quads are feeling it a bit but I'm surprisingly fresh apart from that so, yeah, plan must be working. Happy out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

alentejo wrote: »
    Lovely late evening spin up stocking lane and up towards the featherbeds. Cold but lovely late evening sunshine.

Did you have a little backpack on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭alentejo

Did you have a little backpack on?

no!!!

alentejo wrote: »
    no!!!

If you want one TK Maxx are doing ones with hydration packs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

I was heading out today whatever the weather - hailstones were not a good start but it soon turned to cool sunshine over Howth. Only 16km but most of that through briars

aNsqWwQm.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was frozen this morning. I'd swear this is the coldest commute I've had in the last 12 months. It wasn't too bad in terms of frost, although there were patches of ice covered puddles on the sides of the roads. All in all, not too bad, but I wish I had worn my thicker gloves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I was frozen this morning. I'd swear this is the coldest commute I've had in the last 12 months. It wasn't too bad in terms of frost, although there were patches of ice covered puddles on the sides of the roads. All in all, not too bad, but I wish I had worn my thicker gloves!

Agreed.

I thought it wasn't too bad when I set off at first but I had to stop a few kms in to put on my balaclava as I had brain-freeze (and it wasn't even windy)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Luxman wrote: »
    Started out with a bit of drizzle so put the rain jacket on. And then left it on the whole time. On top of a winter jersey and base layer. IT was cold. Dunsany summerhill. Kilcock. Lucan and home. 80k at 28.2 avg as I won't make club spins at the weekend. Enjoyable once I kept the body temp out of danger
    nice spin that out to summerhill and onto to kilcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Did a proper FTP test on the turbo today. Followed the instructions on the laptop to a tee. Nice steady warm up then absolutely balls out in a fairly big gear for 2 minutes, 2 minutes recovery and the 20 minutes at as close to full pelt as I could maintain. I really went for it towards the end, the computer egging me on "Go on, Go on.... Faster Faster...Harder... That's it" like some kind of Nympho Mrs Doyle. My heart rate went higher than I've ever seen it just before the finish, gasping for breath and leaking sweat, spit and snot all over the place. Nearly threw up. 5 minutes cool down was more like 5 minute just trying to stay on the saddle.
    I hit finish on the laptop, my results flashed up on screen. I hit "save" but the big blob of sweat on the touch pad wasn't playing ball and the bastard cursor shot over to the "Don't Save" and discarded my spin.
    My legs are still sore an hour later. I'm fked if I'm doing that again anytime soon.
    thats an image I cant srcub from my minds eye "nympho mrs doyle" Im afraid to get the turbo out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I had a lovely dry tailwindy spin from Ballyboden to Laragh yesterday morning. I dodged all sorts of weather on the way. woohoo :)

Left the house at 8.05am, no need for a jacket.
    At 7.40am there were hailstones rattling the windows.

Up on the main road heading for Roundwood I could see a massive wintery shower where Djouce mountain should have been, down on the M50/N11 it was chucking down hailstones. In my little private climate it was all easy street. Came across a crashed car at the top of the climb up by the side of the Sugarloaf.
    Got down to Laragh to missed calls from Ballyboden as it had started lashing rain and sleet there at about 8.30am and the rescue vehicle was being prepped, if required..

To cap it off said rescue vehicle morphed into a standard lift home vehicle after a walk in Glendo so didn't even have the headwind to face after all that lovely tailwind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just in from the regular lunch time Ballyboden, Cruagh, Kilternan spin. Fantastic cycling weather again out there, though worth staying out from the edge where there is still some ice on Pine Forest road. Really need to give up this work lark, so I can get longer mid week spins in.

• Advertisement

Went out at lunchtime and headed for Glencree, had a ropey moment on devils Elbow,bit of ice there so couldn't turn as i was going a tad fast. Bailed out onto the verge and ended up behind the sign...stayed upright! :)

Some bad patches on the way up to Glencree but in the main ok.Was planning on going down the other side but said feck it, and went on to the Sally Gap.
    Lovely up there and thanks to the sunshine the roads were fine except for a small stretch.

Treachorous going down Luggala but all in all happy to get a bit of climbing in. Passed a couple of cyclists. Not many tho'

https://www.strava.com/athletes/10988594

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement