Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That was hell and heaven and purgatory all in one. I'm in a heap and a half after that. Proud for sure, disappointed we didn't win it, frustrated and also worried we might have left it behind us, but we live for another day.
    We have to play our own game and not go and play it to suit their style.
    If anyone says we don't have a marquee forward after COC's performance today then they need to go back to the looney house, at 22 this guy is top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

just literally in the door
    exhausted
    happy
    proud

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Good performance Mayo. Made it hard for Kerry. Few mistakes cost you the win. Hopefully you come down to Limerick and play again the way we know Mayo can play. Self belief and you should take the Kingdom. They arent the team they were in the 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Moran is so much more suited to an impact sub role now instead of a starting 15. He done great today and helped to keep momentum high.

I new we had it in us, just a case of them holding back throughout the season so that we would peak at the right time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Surely HQ knew of the possibility of a replay before they booked the American football. Bad form imo to have a semi-final replay in Limerick. They announced it as soon as the match was over. not happy about that at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Anyone know when tickets are on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well I was a very very dejected Mayo man at half time, I was ready to throw in the towel.

All year it has been in the back of my mind that this Mayo team may not have all that it takes to get to a final this year after the efforts put in since 2011 and it seemed that though was coming true at half time .

Looking at the positives it was great the way they took control in the second half, some great scores taken by lots of guys and the marquee forward was brilliant
    I always believed that they were a better team than Kerry and when they played their natural pressing attacking game they showed just that.

But looking at the negatives they once again coughed up a big lead later in the game, just as they did v Cork.
    And the Donaghey performance just brought back nightmares.

By the end I could not figure who would the the games biggest goat.
    Kerry for losing a 5 pt and one man lead
    Mayo for losing a 5 pt lead late in teh game
    Tom Cubniffe for spurning a chance to go 2pts up very late on
    JOD or Sheehan for failing to convert the winning score

It's the first and last time in my life I will every take advice from Marty Morrisey
    He said as Sheehan was talking that last free "if you can't bare to watch then don't, just listen", so I shut my eyes.

As for the replay I am looking forward to it.
    I think that Mayo learned most from the game and because they are better conditioned and have less injuries they should recover better in the 6 days.

I'll predict a Mayo win again, but they need that energy and confidence from the start.

Putting aside the 'outrage' about an American Football game being played in CP what really are Mayo peoples thought about the game being in Limerick.

Personally I like it cos it's handy for me living in Kerry but I also think it's a good venue for a game that is going to attract a crowd of 40-50k.

I don't think it will give Kerry much of advantage, I expect it to be packed to the rafters, and most of them being Mayo fans.
    The atmosphere is going to be brilliant.

Mayo have said that they would have preferred a more 'neutral' venue.
    But I really can't think of one that would hold that sort of a crowd.

But I will say it's a bit hypocritical of the GAA saying that the 6th is not available, because they need it in case Dublin v Donegal is a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

Oldtree wrote: »
    Surely HQ knew of the possibility of a replay before they booked the American football. Bad form imo to have a semi-final replay in Limerick. They announced it as soon as the match was over. not happy about that at all

They announced it near the end of the game that in the event of a replay that it would be played in the Gaelic Grounds. They obviously didn't expect it to happen though! The last time a football semi-final went to a replay it was ten years ago, in 2004 I think. They don't happen that often. The American football game was booked over a year ago, so they can't renege on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lanarty56

Putting aside the 'outrage' about an American Football game being played in CP what really are Mayo peoples thought about the game being in Limerick.

Personally I like it cos it's handy for me living in Kerry but I also think it's a good venue for a game that is going to attract a crowd of 40-50k.

I don't think it will give Kerry much of advantage, I expect it to be packed to the rafters, and most of them being Mayo fans.

Mayo have said that they would have preferred a more 'neutral' venue.
    But I really can't think of one that would hold that sort of a crowd.

But I will say it's a bit hypocritical of the GAA saying that the 6th is not available, because they need it in case Dublin v Donegal is a draw.

Thurles would be a much better venue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

First of all I feel Kerry will at least match our supporters due to how close they are.

Secondly, my idea of Mayo's yearly plan, at the expense of the smaller games, is to prepare fully for croke park and its wide open spaces. Going to croker even helps to prepare the lads for the match day routine etc. I think if we played in croke park for the replay we would be able to get a nice routine and rhythm going for the final. Going to Limerick sort of messes that up!

Personally and selfishly I would prefer Croker as I feel more confident of Mayo playing there! I Suppose I like to see them on a field I know. In reality it prob will have little impact on the day of the semi.

lanarty56 wrote: »
    Thurles would be a much better venue

How so ?

It's more difficult to get to from both Mayo and Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lanarty56

How so ?

It's more difficult to get to from both Mayo and Kerry.

It has a bigger capacity and would be more neutral than Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

tacofries wrote: »
    First of all I feel Kerry will at least match our supporters due to how close they are.

Secondly, my idea of Mayo's yearly plan, at the expense of the smaller games, is to prepare fully for croke park and its wide open spaces. Going to croker even helps to prepare the lads for the match day routine etc. I think if we played in croke park for the replay we would be able to get a nice routine and rhythm going for the final. Going to Limerick sort of messes that up!

Kerry is a long drive from the GG. Well over 2 hours for most of them. Clare on the other hand is about a 5 minute walk.

tacofries wrote: »

It's about 1hr 30mins from where I am in Mid Kerry, and 3hrs from parts of South Kerry, not much closer than Mid Mayo (Castlebar) or North Mayo.

Yea Mayo like playing in CP, it's a place that they are used of and have prospered in over the past few years, and that preparation is a huge part of the modern game
    But if you are good enough and want it enough you should e able to go anywhere and perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

lanarty56 wrote: »
    It has a bigger capacity and would be more neutral than Limerick

Kerry in fairness don't play in the Gaelic Grounds all that often! It's been a good few years since they have played a senior football championship match there. In fact they have played in Thurles more recently! The capacity of the Gaelic Grounds is more than adequate to cope with the anticipated crowd.

jjjd wrote: »
    Kerry in fairness don't play in the Gaelic Grounds all that often! It's been a good few years since they have played a senior football championship match there. In fact they have played in Thurles more recently! The capacity of the Gaelic Grounds is more than adequate to cope with the anticipated crowd.

They played Clare there is a 4th Rnd qualifier in 2012, but that was a glorified training session.

Prior to that I think it was 2005 they played there.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

It's about 1hr 30mins from where I am in Mid Kerry, and 3hrs from parts of South Kerry, not much closer than Mid Mayo (Castlebar) or North Mayo.

Yea Mayo like playing in CP, it's a place that they are used of and have prospered in over the past few years, and that preparation is a huge part of the modern game
    But if you are good enough and want it enough you should e able to go anywhere and perform.

Come on. That is a bit of a joke . Let's play it in Hyde park then if it doesn't matter to Kerry. It is of such an advantage to Kerry . Just like the mayo crowd in croke park yesterday easily made up for a sending off offence. Another game killing mis judgement by the officials.

Come on. That is a bit of a joke . Let's play it in Hyde park then if it doesn't matter to Kerry. It is of such an advantage to Kerry . Just like the mayo crowd in croke park yesterday easily made up for a sending off offence. Another game killing mis judgement by the officials.

Hyde Park has been deemed unsuitable for health and safety reasons.

I'm not understanding the outrage about this.

Its as good a quality and as well located neutral ground as you'll get.

Mayo folk should stop making excuses before a ball is kicked.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

GG is a kip of a spot and will suit Kerry more than Mayo. Its just 2 fingers to Mayo and Kerry that the replay is there. Incredible to think our national game is now 2nd place to an American football game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

My main objection was that Kerry would been more used to it but read that they have only played Clare there in recent years....pity it's not on in Croker but there is not much else you can do.

I wasn't too happy when I heard it at first but realistically where else do you put it besides there or Thurles, that would be neutral and have the capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

My main objection was that Kerry would been more used to it but read that they have only played Clare there in recent years....pity it's not on in Croker but there is not much else you can do.

I wasn't too happy when I heard it at first but realistically where else do you put it besides there or Thurles, that would be neutral and have the capacity.

Realistically you could play it in Croke park (the following Saturday)

The Buster wrote: »

Exactly. Should never be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

Yeah but we should move on now...the decision is made, you don't want it becoming a sideshow with such a quick turnaround

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

yop wrote: »
    GG is a kip of a spot and will suit Kerry more than Mayo. Its just 2 fingers to Mayo and Kerry that the replay is there. Incredible to think our national game is now 2nd place to an American football game..

Stupid statement. When was the last time you were in GG?? While it is not Croke Park it's has been recently refurbished and is a great stadium. As I mentioned on a different thread Limerick is famous Europe Wide in rugby terms as being the best location for match day atmosphere pre and post matches - and that includes Dublin. This was the result of a survey of Heineken Cup supporters. The decision has been made. Just get on with it and ye might end up having a better time in Limerick than Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

yop wrote: »
    GG is a kip of a spot and will suit Kerry more than Mayo. Its just 2 fingers to Mayo and Kerry that the replay is there. Incredible to think our national game is now 2nd place to an American football game.

Don't know how u can call this a kip - it's no Croke Park but it ain't a kip

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The Buster wrote: »

Realistically there is no way it could be played the following Saturday. One, you'll have the Tipp and KK management teams kicking up fuss about the fact the pitch is in a poor state for the All Ireland hurling final when the game is fixed for this Saturday.

Two what happens if Dublin v Donegal go to a replay? GAA have to keep that Saturday free in case it happens - very few people would have predicted a draw yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Did anybody record the game? Set my hard drive to record it, for some unknown reason it failed to record! If anybody has a copy I'd be grateful, can travel if need be.PM would be appreciated. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Realistically there is no way it could be played the following Saturday. One, you'll have the Tipp and KK management teams kicking up fuss about the fact the pitch is in a poor state for the All Ireland hurling final when the game is fixed for this Saturday.

Two what happens if Dublin v Donegal go to a replay? GAA have to keep that Saturday free in case it happens - very few people would have predicted a draw yesterday.

How can it be ok on one hand that the hurlers will kick up a fuss about the state of the pitch if Mayo/Kerry match in on the day before the hurling final. But then on the other hand that if the Dublin/Donegal match is a draw that the replay should be on that very same day i.e. the day before the hurling final. Do you think that Dublin/Donegal will tread lighter than Mayo/Kerry and will replace the kicked-up divots? Unless GAA take the Dublin/Donegal replay (if it happened) out of Croke Park. What chance of that happening.

• Advertisement

tommy249 wrote: »
    Stupid statement. When was the last time you were in GG?? While it is not Croke Park it's has been recently refurbished and is a great stadium. As I mentioned on a different thread Limerick is famous Europe Wide in rugby terms as being the best location for match day atmosphere pre and post matches - and that includes Dublin. This was the result of a survey of Heineken Cup supporters. The decision has been made. Just get on with it and ye might end up having a better time in Limerick than Dublin

I was in it last year, its a stadium that holds 9 thousand in the stand, the rest are in terraces. Parking is a nightmare, access is as bad. We're at AI Semi final stage and we have to deal with terraces when we have a stadium which holds 70k seated not been made available to the teams.

Nothing against Limerick at all, great city, its the double standards of the GAA and the "Ah sure this will do ye" attitude of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement