Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But what if the strategy is genuinely to keep him totally under wraps? Would Dublin actually be thrown to see a guy coming on with 20 minutes to go in the AIF who they've never seen before and don't know what he does positionally? Presumably he would have to have something substantial to contribute as a player, but would this be significantly enhanced if he was a completely unknown quantity?

Stop.
    Please stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

If his only job was to come on when Dublin launch their subs and spoil a McManamon or an O'Gara then I would have no problem with it. If Horan thinks he can do a job like this then I don't really care what anyone else in the squad thinks. He has been training with the squad for months now. If he is good enough to do a job Horan will play him.

There is no place for sentiment here. The Mayo subs thus far have been terrible and not one could have any gripes if Duffy got the call at some stage.

This has nothing to do with what is happening with Freeman though. Freeman has fallen out of favour with the management but who knows he could be back for the semi? How do we know what is happening in training etc.

What I do know is that the more options we have off the bench the better and if Duffy can contribute then I am all for it. This is all hypothetical of course and Duffy may not be sprung at any stage this season. There is no fairytale here, it will be a footballing decision based on what he can contribute if and when he is needed.

All the more reason for Andy to start on the bench as he will contribute when he comes on

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nicepoint

But what if the strategy is genuinely to keep him totally under wraps? Would Dublin actually be thrown to see a guy coming on with 20 minutes to go in the AIF who they've never seen before and don't know what he does positionally? Presumably he would have to have something substantial to contribute as a player, but would this be significantly enhanced if he was a completely unknown quantity?

The Kerryboys would love to see this talk about Dublin or has the semi final been won ??

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

We down here in Kerry are feeling very bad to be left out of this party are we not invited at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

TBF even when Mayo were 10 points worse than Kerry they used to talk as though the result was a foregone conclusion in their favour the morning of the match, no surprises to be written off at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

keane2097 wrote: »
    TBF even when Mayo were 10 points worse than Kerry they used to talk as though the result was a foregone conclusion in their favour the morning of the match, no surprises to be written off at this stage!

Completely untrue. At least for any Mayo people I knew in 11', 06', and 04'.

GBXI wrote: »

Honestly, keep talking about Dublin in the final, it's good to see.

Keane is right.
    There was certainly a good bit of confidence in 2011. I personally thought Mayo would win that and said as much here.
    In 2006 there was the misplaced confidence that Mayo would have learned from 2004.

In 2004 it was seen by many Mayo folk as being all to play for
    Remember Kerry only won Munster after a replay with Limerick, and Mayo folk preferred to talk up our win v Tyrone more so than scraping past Fermanagh in a replay.

Hindsight is a great thing.

But there is no harm in being confident going into the game v Kerry, or a possible final.
    Its only natural to try and find and emphasize the positives in what you see in your team.

nicepoint wrote: »

To be fair, another poster mentioned Dublin, not GBXI

Keane is right.
    There was certainly a good bit of confidence in 2011. I personally thought Mayo would win that and said as much here.
    In 2006 there was the misplaced confidence that Mayo would have learned from 2004.

Remember Kerry only won Munster after a replay with Limerick, and Mayo folk preferred to talk up our win v Tyrone Morse so than scraping past Fermanagh in a replay.

But there is no harm in being confident going into the game v Kerry, or a possible final.
    Its only natural to try and find and emphasize the positives in what you see in your team.

It's all part of the fun really - it will be painful walking out of Croke Park listening to ye if we are beaten, but I suppose we've inflicted plenty pain ourselves over the years!

• Advertisement

To be fair, another poster mentioned Dublin, not GBXI

No you're right and afterall it is a Mayo thread, just outside counties including Kerry read this and it is the best motivation any team can get because i presume this is the general feeling around the county of Mayo. ?

No you're right and afterall it is a Mayo thread, just outside counties including Kerry read this and it is the best motivation any team can get because i presume this is the general feeling around the county of Mayo. ?

I don't think any of the players are reading, but it will definitely add to the pre-match banter when both sets of fans turn up certain they're going to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

Keane is right.

Remember Kerry only won Munster after a replay with Limerick, and Mayo folk preferred to talk up our win v Tyrone more so than scraping past Fermanagh in a replay.

Well the bookies favourites in 11' and 06' were Kerry. In 04' it was a bit closer to evens but the general feeling in Mayo for the 2 finals, like most years, was excitement, not confidence or arrogance.

In 11' I hoped Mayo might surprise Kerry but I knew Kerry were the better team and it was no shock that they won pulling up. And to be honest, it was the exact same feeling prior to the two finals. This year I'm a lot more hopeful, and for the 1st time in my lifetime I can say with confidence that Mayo have a better team than Kerry.

With regard to the feeling in the county, people are both quietly confident but also very wary of a good Kerry team with a brilliant corner forward in their ranks. They expect Mayo to win but only if they play to their potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Thats not strategy, its a Disney movie last act. Whatever reservations people may have about Horan there is no doubting he is a smart football man. There is no way he would consider such gimmicery. I feel stupid even taking about it. This is real top level sport not a comic strip.
    The Kerryboys would love to see this talk about Dublin or has the semi final been won ??
    sammy37 wrote: »
    We down here in Kerry are feeling very bad to be left out of this party are we not invited at all?

Apologies chaps I'm not taking the semi for granted and I'm sure Horan isn't either. I just think these 'outside the box' options like playing Conor O'Shea at centre-forward and what I have suggested he may be cooking up with Duffy are done with Dublin in mind. The belief probably is that an 8/10 performance along the lines the team have been giving for the last 2 seasons should be just about good enough to beat Kerry, whereas something of another order will probably be required for the Dubs.

Apologies chaps I'm not taking the semi for granted and I'm sure Horan isn't either. I just think these 'outside the box' options like playing Conor O'Shea at centre-forward and what I have suggested he may be cooking up with Duffy are done with Dublin in mind. The belief probably is that an 8/10 performance along the lines the team have been giving for the last 2 seasons should be just about good enough to beat Kerry, whereas something of another order will probably be required for the Dubs.

Ah no problem, it's only a bit of banter anyway. IMO ye should have Freeman starting , he is a decent target man and well able to kick a point and his form did'nt dip that much that he deserved to be dropped. All due respect but this talk about Duffy is a bit ridiculous TBH, It's like in 2008 when Galvin got his long suspension and came on in the final he was a disaster through no fault of his own, playing Championship games are the only way to be up to match speed, especially in a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Talking about meeting Dublin in the final is ludicrous.

We'll be playing Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Talking about meeting Dublin in the final is ludicrous.

We'll be playing Donegal

Looking forward to the Minor final ?

Mayo are not the only fans who get confident as the game time gets closer, as I said its only natural.

But one problem Mayo fans face is that 'they're damned if they do and damned if they don't' when it comes to supporting the team.

If you are confident you are accused of hype and being arrogant.

If you have no confidence you are told 'ye'll never win anything with that attitude'

Mayo are not the only fans who get confident as the game time gets closer, as I said its only natural.

But one problem Mayo fans face is that 'they're damned if they do and damned if they don't' when it comes to supporting the team.

If you are confident you are accused of hype and being arrogant.

If you have no confidence you are told 'ye'll never win anything with that attitude'

Come on!!! There is confidance but totally disregarding a semi final is another thing, that is arrogance. You can't argue that.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Come on!!! There is confidance but totally disregarding a semi final is another thing, that is arrogance. You can't argue that.

Same applies to Dublin, Every game they have played so far the opposition is totally disregarded. Prime example was most Dublin fans disregarding Monaghan and setting up a Dublin v Donegal Semi-Final

• Advertisement

Mayo are favorites v Kerry.
    They are favorites for a reason and they have a very good chance of winning.

So what's wrong with being confident ?

Mayo are favorites v Kerry.
    They are favorites for a reason and they have a very good chance of winning.

So what's wrong with being confident ?

Absolutely nothing wrong with confidence. I'm just saying some of the Mayo lads here are just talking about Dublin in the final and thats arrogance. If these same guys were talking about the semi final and how confident they were about winning then nobody would have a problem with that. Anyway best of luck in the final ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

are you going to print out whats said here and show it to the team
    jesus man would you cop on to yourself

thought you where a trool nicepoint i see now that your not

naughto wrote: »
    are you going to print out whats said here and show it to the team
    jesus man would you cop on to yourself

Jezus no, why would i do that ? That's just stupid talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Well the bookies favourites in 11' and 06' were Kerry. In 04' it was a bit closer to evens but the general feeling in Mayo for the 2 finals, like most years, was excitement, not confidence or arrogance.

In 11' I hoped Mayo might surprise Kerry but I knew Kerry were the better team and it was no shock that they won pulling up. And to be honest, it was the exact same feeling prior to the two finals. This year I'm a lot more hopeful, and for the 1st time in my lifetime I can say with confidence that Mayo have a better team than Kerry.

With regard to the feeling in the county, people are both quietly confident but also very wary of a good Kerry team with a brilliant corner forward in their ranks. They expect Mayo to win but only if they play to their potential.

I still think there is probably a mental block in Mayo regarding Kerry. Kieran Shannon (is he still working with them?) will have a big job on his hands.

In 2008 Kerry had a better team than Tyrone. We still couldn't beat them.

I remember watching the first half of last years semi final between Mayo and Tyrone thinking that Mayo were about to blow it again. Tyrone didn't have the class up front to take advantage and Mayo gradually wore them down. If Mayo are nervous and start poor I think Kerry will win. If Mayo play to their potential and win the middle sector like I expect, it'll probably be enough for a 3-6 point win.

Absolutely nothing wrong with confidence. I'm just saying some of the Mayo lads here are just talking about Dublin in the final and thats arrogance. If these same guys were talking about the semi final and how confident they were about winning then nobody would have a problem with that. Anyway best of luck in the final ;)

I'm finding it hard to grasp what you are saying.

Its arrogant to say that Mayo will play Dublin in the final.
    But there is not wrong with being confident about getting to the final, in other words beating Kerry in the SF.

Or is it the idea that meeting Dublin in the final that annoys you.

I'm finding it hard to grasp what you are saying.

Its arrogant to say that Mayo will play Dublin in the final.
    But there is not wrong with being confident about getting to the final, in other words beating Kerry in the SF.

Or is it the idea that meeting Dublin in the final that annoys you.

I think it's just the talking about playing Dublin in a final and how ye are going to set up playing them in the final annoys me. I'm over it now though and it's Friday afterall.. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Riocht36

As a Kerryman, I feel privileged to be able to voice my opinions on this Mayo site. I am not coming on here to create any elaborate fantasies based on little or no evidence or saying anything that will be pinned up in dressing-room walls. Like eyeryone else, I don't know with any certainty just how Kerry will perform on Sunday week, but I expect that they will be well prepared and confident in their own ability. Self-confidence is a crucial mental skill - over-confidence is a recipe for failure. For the side that looses it will undoubtedly be the “final act of greatness” for a few players and for Kerry that could be as many as five or six.
    I recognise the emotion that Mayo supporters have invested in their teams and the great disappointment in not delivering the big prize. In all sincerity, Kerry people would be quiet happy for Mayo to take Sam west but not of course at our expense! We are not free to disregard Mayo's record on the big days against Kerry.
    Regardless of the outcome, I want to wish Mayo a safe journey to Dublin (beware of them Spoonburners!). I expect Kerry to do the double, a tall order, but I also realise that ye have other plans for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Riocht36 wrote: »
    As a Kerryman, I feel privileged to be able to voice my opinions on this Mayo site. I am not coming on here to create any elaborate fantasies based on little or no evidence or saying anything that will be pinned up in dressing-room walls. Like eyeryone else, I don't know with any certainty just how Kerry will perform on Sunday week, but I expect that they will be well prepared and confident in their own ability. Self-confidence is a crucial mental skill - over-confidence is a recipe for failure. For the side that looses it will undoubtedly be the “final act of greatness” for a few players and for Kerry that could be as many as five or six.
    I recognise the emotion that Mayo supporters have invested in their teams and the great disappointment in not delivering the big prize. In all sincerity, Kerry people would be quiet happy for Mayo to take Sam west but not of course at our expense! We are not free to disregard Mayo's record on the big days against Kerry.
    Regardless of the outcome, I want to wish Mayo a safe journey to Dublin (beware of them Spoonburners!). I expect Kerry to do the double, a tall order, but I also realise that ye have other plans for us!

I for one who has been to almost every championship game against Kerry for the past 30 years. Kerry's supporters justified confidence is easily felt before and after match day. I was talking to a kerryman just after mayos win against cork. He did let slip that he preferred to have mayo rather than cork in the semi. I felt the old superiority complex was well and truly engraved in that persons mind.

Not saying who will win Sunday week. But if the southern men do win it . It will be their best performance of the year. I fear both teams may well have only one peak this year and unfortunately there may not be enough in reserve for the big team this year on final day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I am dubious of some of Horans calls. But in fairness to him.. we are playing football next Sunday at half past 3 for the 4th year in a row. Fair ould achievement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement