Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

mayo.mick wrote: »
    €18.2 million spent and not a blade of grass touched! Healy park is one of the best stands I've been in, could have done that around the 3 sides and leave McHale road side as is, for half the money spent!

I can see you point "clearly", but in fairness they must have used some sort of modern new fangled tech in Healy Park back in 2001 that is not yet available here in Mayo. and it was only through a major search initiative on my part that I managed to find one of the engineering firms involved:

http://www.seanjordanengineering.com/portfolio.asp

a-ST-ENDAS-OMAGH-96.jpg

And look at the seats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Barlett

Yeah overall they did a poor job with the stand, badly designed and blue seats...definitely not value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The surface looked first class yesterday, shame about the restricted views from the stand.

Unacceptable really in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The stand in the Athletic Grounds in Armagh was done very nicely and looks a fair bit more modern than Healy park.
    athletic-armagh-img-1.jpg

I really do like the terrace in Tullamore too, the main stand is blighted with poles but I've never been stuck behind one yet.
    O%20Connor%20Park3rd%20phase.jpg?height=214&width=320

Celtic Park is nicely done too, very small stand though.
    44_b_10089b550f927f3dff56da05af6d33694b.jpg

Planning permission should not have been granted to McHale park, purely on the poor quality of the design. Maybe the stadium would look presentable if the benches were replaced by blue seats or terracing at the ends but there won't be any money available for that I presume.

If Kildare ever get around to developing Conleths I hope they follow the example of Armagh, Derry and Offaly and build a respectable looking ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

padd b1975 wrote: »
    The surface looked first class yesterday, shame about the restricted views from the stand.

Unacceptable really in this day and age.

Thought the pitch looked great too.

The stand isn't perfect but I've always found it fine, it's a great size tbf and while the seats are the wrong colour, they're comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

My only gripe with the stand in McHale park is the support beams. Otherwise it's a fine stand.

. Maybe the stadium would look presentable if the benches were replaced by blue seats or terracing at the ends

Funnily enough I like sitting on the benches and prefer to be there rather than in the stand, unless there is a deluge. I like to be close to the action so to speak and there is more freedom for the kids there and they have a better view. I don't find the benches uncomfortable but I wouldn't want standing terracing like they have in Galway. On a roasting hot Connaught Final a few years back it was an aful experience to have to stand for it all, and for the children too.

The kids like nothing better than to do a pitch invasion at the end of a match and get their jerseys signed. I have to mention (again) that even after the Mayo lads have finished a gruelling match they always have the time for their smaller fans and I find that a very admirable quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

The stand in the Athletic Grounds in Armagh was done very nicely and looks a fair bit more modern than Healy park.
    athletic-armagh-img-1.jpg

I really do like the terrace in Tullamore too, the main stand is blighted with poles but I've never been stuck behind one yet.
    O%20Connor%20Park3rd%20phase.jpg?height=214&width=320

Celtic Park is nicely done too, very small stand though.
    44_b_10089b550f927f3dff56da05af6d33694b.jpg

Planning permission should not have been granted to McHale park, purely on the poor quality of the design. Maybe the stadium would look presentable if the benches were replaced by blue seats or terracing at the ends but there won't be any money available for that I presume.

If Kildare ever get around to developing Conleths I hope they follow the example of Armagh, Derry and Offaly and build a respectable looking ground.

Yeah, the Athletic grounds in Armagh was the other one, I couldn't think of the name. The likes of those would have been more suitable I think. Pitch was in brilliant condition, fair play to the groundsmen!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Link to an excellent interview with Aidan O Shea....defo seems to be indicated that the training schedule is been tailored for performance to peak in the business end of the season(not the quarters).
    http://www.newstalk.ie/player/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/58504/1/aidan_oshea_interview

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭neiphin

i hear castlebar have beaten louisburg this evening in the junior championship

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

So Senior Championship Round 3 will be played this weekend. The last round of group games, all will be decided in terms of who goes through to the Quarter Finals and who will battle relegation.

Group 1:
    Crossmolina v Ballintubber - (Everything suggests a Ballintubber win)
    Shrule/Glencorrib v Castlebar - (Id expect Castlebar to absolutely rout Shrule here after seeing what they did against Crossmolina)

Castlebar already through. Ballintubber need a point to go through and should get it. Interestingly, if Shrule and Crossmolina both lose then points difference will decide who finishes bottom, Shrule have a 7 point lead on Crossmolina in this regard already. It could be tight margins.

Group 2:
    Knockmore v Garrymore - (Would expect a Knockmore win here on home soil)
    Kiltane v Ballinrobe - ('Robe are spirited, but their inexperience and a tough away trip to Kiltane should be too much for them)

Knockmore and Garrymore through and just fighting for top spot. Kiltane and Bllinrobe fighting to avoid the relegation playoffs.

Group 3:
    Westport v Davitts - (Westport to nick a tight game)
    Charlestown v Ballaghaderreen - (Another tight one but Ballagh' should be a little stronger)

In theory all teams can still go through, Ballagh' look pretty assured though and its likely to be either Westport or Charlestown to join them.

Group 4:
    Aghamore v Claremorris - (Claremorris look good but Aghamore will be tough at home, south boys are better though)
    Breaffy v Ballina - (Should be straightforward for Breaffy)

Breaffy already through, Claremorris or Aghamore will join them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did I see us down for Saturday the 2nd against either Cork/Sligo there on the Sunday game? Presume 2pm and 4pm throw-ins there with 2 games on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Barlett

No it'll be part of a double header on Sunday August 3rd with the other two games the following week

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭neiphin

same day as kerry

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Barlett wrote: »
    No it'll be part of a double header on Sunday August 3rd with the other two games the following week

Not the Sunday, if you scroll down, it will be either the Saturday or Monday and I would swear i spotted Aug 2nd the date they have us for;

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/

Found it and screenshot it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Sunday Game caption is incorrect I believe and I noticed it as soon as it was shown.

It implies that Cork, Galway, Monaghan and Meath will win the Rnd 4 qqualifier.

If for example Sligo beat Cork then Kerry v Galway/Tipp/Sligo is an option.

I would not believe the dates either.
    If they are going to put quarter finals on a Saturday what will they put on the Sunday ?.

I think the reference to Saturday 2nd/Monday 4th on the GAA website implies that they can be play over that weekend.

They may even match a A side QF with the Rnd 4 B qqualifiers, as CP is a likely venue given the teams involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thought they weren't playing quarter final double headers on the bank holiday Monday anymore.Hate the thought of it. Presume that the Dubs will on the Sunday with RTE having first pick on the quarters?

seligehgit wrote: »
    Thought they weren't playing quarter final double headers on the bank holiday Monday anymore.Hate the thought of it. Presume that the Dubs will on the Sunday with RTE having first pick on the quarters?

Dublin v X, Donegal v Y Quarter finals are on Sky (that was always the case) so they will be 5pm (Donegal) and 7pm (Dublin) on the 9th

They were always scheduled for the 9th due to the A/B qualifiers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Minor match at 12 but seniors not til 4. Why couldn't they have put the mayo match on at 2 instead???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

glack wrote: »
    Minor match at 12 but seniors not til 4. Why couldn't they have put the mayo match on at 2 instead???

It's madness, a lot of people will stay in the pub until 3.30 and this will cost the minors some support.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,170 ✭✭✭✭km79

What happens if one of the 4a qualifiers ends up a draw after extra time ?

km79 wrote: »
    What happens if one of the 4a qualifiers ends up a draw after extra time ?

Good point.
    The QF related to it would likely be postponed and played as a double header with the hurling SF on the 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It's madness, a lot of people will stay in the pub until 3.30 and this will cost the minors some support.
    Definitely. 6 hours in croker is a long time for anyone.

glack wrote: »
    Definitely. 6 hours in croker is a long time for anyone.

No its not.
    Remember that there is a senior game at 2 also

So leave the house around 8am, won't get in the door again until the guts of 11pm, bit lousy to be honest. Ya great to get 3 games but use the head and consider the bloody journey. You could have 3 teams heading West that day too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

No its not.
    Remember that there is a senior game at 2 also
    A bit long for kids.

great opportunity to study THE opposition at 2 ;) but would be difficult for the kids, would love to see the minors play too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Going on their first half showing on Sunday, we should start as warm favourites against Armagh minors.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement