Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NOTW/News Intl. controversy MEGATHREAD

Options
  • 07-07-2011 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Still won't buy it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/07/news-of-the-world
    News International today announces that this Sunday, 10 July 2011, will be the last issue of the News of the World.

Making the announcement to staff, James Murdoch, Deputy Chief Operating Officer, News Corporation, and Chairman, News International said: "I have important things to say about the News of the World and the steps we are taking to address the very serious problems that have occurred.

It is only right that you as colleagues at News International are first to hear what I have to say and that you hear it directly from me. So thank you very much for coming here and listening.

You do not need to be told that The News of the World is 168 years old. That it is read by more people than any other English language newspaper. That it has enjoyed support from Britain's largest advertisers. And that it has a proud history of fighting crime, exposing wrong-doing and regularly setting the news agenda for the nation.

When I tell people why I am proud to be part of News Corporation, I say that our commitment to journalism and a free press is one of the things that sets us apart. Your work is a credit to this.

The good things the News of the World does, however, have been sullied by behaviour that was wrong. Indeed, if recent allegations are true, it was inhuman and has no place in our Company.

The News of the World is in the business of holding others to account. But it failed when it came to itself.

Can anyone think of something remotely comparable to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

This is good news, as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

And that it has a proud history of fighting crime, exposing wrong-doing and regularly setting the news agenda for the nation.

Ironic.

May it be the first of many tabloids to disappear. Amen.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Good riddance to that rag, sorry for peoples jobs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Wasn't that the rag that printed "Bloody Irish" in big black letters on the front page after the Mountbatten murder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

News of the World.

Rot In Pain

And good riddance to bad rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

What was its Irish Sales like and who will benefit? The Slutty World? I can see Murdoch dig up some now dead title and use that name for 6 months until Joe Soap forgets about the tapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

The Sun is to be published 7 days a week, the Sunday Sun was registered as a trademark on JULY 5TH, So the decision to close NOTW is strategic and not being done out of any sense of wrong doing by journalists at the newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dynch

Nice it's going but I reckon it's at least partly a cynical ploy to avoid some of the penalties and awards which are bound to arise from a plethora of civil cases. They will be straight back again with the same sleaze and ammorality in just a few minutes. Please, will people just stop buying any rag that Murdock publishes, owns or controls. Please?

Corsendonk wrote: »
    What was its Irish Sales like and who will benefit? The Slutty World? I can see Murdoch dig up some now dead title and use that name for 6 months until Joe Soap forgets about the tapping.

#3 in the sundays here according the the news there, 130,000 readers.

I'm no fan of the sunday world either, but at least it isn't a UK tabloid pretending to be irish by added the word Irish to the cover :D

Edit: Actually I recall once in a job where we were in the office on sunday and a polish guy went out for a paper and came back with the News of the World, after reading it for a few minutes came over confused saying "how is this an irish paper" ????? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Corsendonk wrote: »

113,000 copies
    SW will be a benefactor. Mirror will pick up a bit, as will the people. A lot will go into the ether.
    It's timing is so unfortunate for the now defunct Sunday Daily Star

• Advertisement

IRE60 wrote: »
    113,000 copies
    SW will be a benefactor. Mirror will pick up a bit, as will the people. A lot will go into the ether.
    It's timing is so unfortunate for the now defunct Sunday Daily Star

I was just thinking the same there, the news of the worlds end really could have kept them afloat. Wasn't a great paper but far from being a bad one though.

the better of a bad lot - if such a thing exists.

Murdock is more concerned with his takeover of Sky than the jobs on the NoW

Latest Circulation Figures below:
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/print/101804-irish-newspaper-circulations-may-2011

Readership:
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/print/10826-jnrs-2010

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

a rag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Will Murdoch try using the Sunday Times this weekend to spread the blame since numerous journalists have mentioned that paying police for information is common practice in the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

calex71 wrote: »
    Good riddance to that rag, sorry for peoples jobs though.

Sorry for the backroom staff.
    No sympathy whatsoever for the so called journalists.

In any case, all will probably be re-employed in the Sun on Sunday if it comes to fruition.
    carrolls wrote: »
    Wasn't that the rag that printed "Bloody Irish" in big black letters on the front page after the Mountbatten murder?

Most headlines appear in 'big black letters' and given the emotive outcry at the time of Mountbatten's murder it was probably appropriate.

Inflammatory and provocative yes.

But appropriate and understandable in relation to the readership of the News of the World and the mood of the British nation at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

news of the world has closed

http://bit.ly/qv27gm

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fogra

That's Bertie out of a job then. Haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

A rag of a paper! No doubt that gangster Murdoch has something else planned. I bet Paul Williams is sorry he left the Sunday World now!

Fogra wrote: »
    That's Bertie out of a job then. Haha!
    Once more unto the fridge dear friends

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

In what must be a horrifying moment for idiots, bigots, neanderthals, chavs and cretins, from this sunday the News of the World shall be no more.

Good riddance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/07/news-of-the-world-murdoch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Denerick wrote: »
    In what must be a horrifying moment for idiots, bigots, neanderthals, chavs and cretins, from this sunday the News of the World shall be no more.

Good riddance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/07/news-of-the-world-murdoch

It has been suggested that there will be a Sun, 7 days a week to fill the gap. So perhaps a cynical response by News Corp. to make good from bad very bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They have removed the subscription lock from its on line version.

They should be paying people to read it now. :p

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/_news/1340740/Bon-Jovi-legend-Richie-Samboras-beauty-is-hooker.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD COMMENT:
    This thread appears to be more appropriate for a discussion in News & Media than in Politics. Will be moved. Locked so that their mods may review it for appropriateness.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

More correctly, whoever ghostwrites Bertie's column is now out of work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Lets hope the s*n follows shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lets hope the s*n follows shortly!

Hardly. The Sunday Sun will be released within two months. Murdoch needs the heat off him so he can buy BSkyB, as soon at that deal is done, it'll be business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Surely the British Government will see through this bull. It is not good for democracy when the UK PM is 'good friends' with News Internationals CEO and the ex editor of the NotW when they were hacking into everyones voicemails.

There must be a lot of people in the UK establishment who are afraid of what the Murdoch has on them.

From Mediaweek:

The News of the World is pulling all advertising from its issue this weekend after losing a raft of advertisers in the wake of allegations over its phone hacking activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Surely the British Government will see through this bull. It is not good for democracy when the UK PM is 'good friends' with News Internationals CEO and the ex editor of the NotW when they were hacking into everyones voicemails.

There must be a lot of people in the UK establishment who are afraid of what the Murdoch has on them.

The ones who are so desperate to be Prime Minister, or even a Cabinet minister one day, will keep their traps shut.

In other words, the vast majority of MPs. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

IRE60 wrote: »
    From Mediaweek:

The News of the World is pulling all advertising from its issue this weekend after losing a raft of advertisers in the wake of allegations over its phone hacking activities.

The final issue of NOTW will be a collectors edition. :p

Advertisement