Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawkins sounds off. Lots of atheists upset.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Here is what you do when you find yourself in a lift with RW at 4am in the morning. Don't hit on her. Know how I know this? She said she doesn't like it. As to what every other woman the world over likes or find acceptable...er, atheist here, I don't believe I have godly powers to see into people's hearts.
    And the problem here is that - some odd physics aside - presumably the guy who was hitting on her did not have an opportunity to see that video. So now his hitting on her is back in the realms of everyday, routine, and no big deal. Which is what RD was pointing out, which is what RW is (affecting) to be outraged by. This circle cannot be squared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Yeah, I think you are right there. Which makes it all the more mystifying why RW went crazy about it, unless it was purely for publicity.

Rightly or wrongly Dawkins is a big kahuna in the atheist world, being dismissed by him in such a manner probably angered her. It's not really difficult to understand. For the record, all the subsequent waffle about avoiding or boycotting Dawkins is totally ridiculous to me, one should be able to disagree on something with dismissing an entire body of work/person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Here is what you do when you find yourself in a lift with RW at 4am in the morning. Don't hit on her. Know how I know this? She said she doesn't like it. As to what every other woman the world over likes or find acceptable...er, atheist here, I don't believe I have godly powers to see into people's hearts.
    Exactly and it is great to know the situation before ever attempting. Its just a pity that more people cannot see that the guy did nothing wrong so that the debate could be centred around how to ecourage more women to get involved in the atheist/skeptical movement.

And the problem here is that - some odd physics aside - presumably the guy who was hitting on her did not have an opportunity to see that video. So now his hitting on her is back in the realms of everyday, routine, and no big deal. Which is what RD was pointing out, which is what RW is (affecting) to be outraged by. This circle cannot be squared.

I think we're wandering into the realms of 'what-ifs'. let's not.

axer wrote: »
    Exactly and it is great to know the situation before ever attempting. Its just a pity that more people cannot see that the guy did nothing wrong so that the debate could be centred around how to ecourage more women to get involved in the atheist/skeptical movement.

Again, I don't think he was wrong for what he did. But neither do I think Watson saying she was uncomfortable by it, was wrong.

What I do think is wrong is when folk all fall out and stop listening to each other.

• Advertisement

I have to get back to work. Thanks for the polite conversations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

What I do think is wrong is when folk all fall out and stop listening to each other.
    <cough> see my comment on "objectification" above :)
    Again, I don't think he was wrong for what he did. But neither do I think Watson saying she was uncomfortable by it, was wrong.
    I agree completely.

Well, can we all agree on that, folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

She never said it was a big deal, or that the guy was wrong. She said it made her uncomfortable and would rather guys didn't do it to her. Clear?

and then went on talk about rape the oppression of women the world over

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Whore as in Madonna/whore not as in hooker.

If she had of been sexually assaulted/raped then the exact same scrutiny and bias would have happened by the DPP and a case would most likely never have been brougth.

So women have to be careful about never ever ever letting themselves be seen as sexual even in a context they are controlling at the time as this is what happens.

As for the thong, seriously it was a joke between friends and those people are her friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Sharrow wrote: »
    If she had of been sexually assaulted/raped then the exact same scrutiny and bias would have happened by the DPP and a case would most likely never have been brougth.

Nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

How depressing that this has to be one of the few forums that turns into something more resembling a Bevis and Butt-head episode than a group of adult skeptics accepting that a number or women are trying to explain why there is a distinct lack of women in their movement, if not their forum.

Ah, Ickle...is it? You must be new here. Welcome to the A&A forum. Just to warn you, we sometimes take the piss out of things here. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Sharrow wrote: »
    As for the thong, seriously it was a joke between friends and those people are her friends.
    <Imagines the reaction to piccies of Dawkins' underpants scribbled with the names of conference attendees>

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So many posts.... so little Aerosmith...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bipedalhumanoid

In short form.

I agree that the guy in the elevator made a mistake. It's not right to simply ask for sex like that straight away in those circumstances.

That's not a good start to your 'shrot form' view of events. The guy asked for coffee and talk. The conclusion that he wanted sex is what Rebecca Watson's filthy mind decided on its own, independent of anythign stated.

She keeps banging on about how tired she was... anyone cosider the possibility that that's why he offered a stimulant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

That's not a good start to your 'shrot form' view of events. The guy asked for coffee and talk. The conclusion that he wanted sex is what Rebecca Watson's filthy mind decided on its own, independent of anythign stated.

She keeps banging on about how tired she was... anyone cosider the possibility that that's why he offered a stimulant?
    Please just let this thread die.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

character wrote: »
    Nuts..my thoughts on the blog http://shaolinsybarite.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/dawkinswatson/
    I'm unimpressed with the dawkins industry which is turning rationalism into a sixth form level debate mixed with a sort of quasi-religious fundamentalism. I ran into an American who works with him a few years ago, and she was like some sort of Moonie.
    Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Nuts..my thoughts on the blog http://shaolinsybarite.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/dawkinswatson/
    I'm unimpressed with the dawkins industry which is turning rationalism into a sixth form level debate mixed with a sort of quasi-religious fundamentalism. I ran into an American who works with him a few years ago, and she was like some sort of Moonie.

Or you could read this. Not just skim it, but read every word of it, and then ask yourself, important and terrible as Watson's lift encounter was, are the practices described in Fisk's piece not in every way more tragic, more terrible, and far more in need of being eradicated and fought against by the secular/atheist feminist movement. Or does this just happen to dark-skinned foreigners in places that speak funny and therefore not high on your or Watson's agenda? If only these women got into a lift and were hit on - you'd have something to say about that eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 character

pH wrote: »
    Or you could read this. Not just skim it, but read every word of it, and then ask yourself, important and terrible as Watson's lift encounter was, are the practices described in Fisk's piece not in every way more tragic, more terrible, and far more in need of being eradicated and fought against by the secular/atheist feminist movement. Or does this just happen to dark-skinned foreigners in places that speak funny and therefore not high on your or Watson's agenda? If only these women got into a lift and were hit on - you'd have something to say about that eh?

Or you could stop being patronising - "not just skim it, but read every word..."
    Female circumcision is barbaric, nobody is disagreeing. My point is that bringing it into a simple discussion of etiquette was not necessary. It's a bit like you saying that you don't like broccoli and me shouting at you because children are starving.
    And the racism insinuation is just pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

It's a bit like you saying that you don't like broccoli and me shouting at you because children are starving.

At least we agree on that. The only difference is if I'm involved in an organisation like UNICEF and all I want to do every time I'm given a podium is talk about broccoli and how it should taste better THEN you'd have every right to shout at me because children are starving.

• Advertisement

The CFI's organizing a conference in May next year on "Women in Secularism":

http://action.centerforinquiry.net/site/Calendar?id=101662&view=Detail
    CFI wrote:
    Join us on May 18-20, 2012, for the "Women in Secularism" conference, sponsored by CFI. This historic conference will discuss and celebrate the many contributions women have made to the secular movement, while critically examining both the successes and failures of secularism in addressing women's concerns.

Start Date: Friday, May 18, 2012
    End Date: Sunday, May 20, 2012

Address:
    Crystal City Marriott
    1999 Jefferson Davis Highway
    Arlington, VA 22202
    United States

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Can't make it. Heading to the "People in Secularism" conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Now that a serious issue unworthy of abject parody has been brought up:

There's only one thing that the conference can justifiably discuss, & that's
    the failures of the recent western secularist (rational brigade) tradition as
    regards women, & the hilarious hypocrisy of it all. I mean if the insanity
    that sprang forth from the Watson debacle sprang forth from something
    so ridiculous you just know it had been fermenting for quite a while, just
    on the surface of things without scratching deeper. Without clouding the
    issue by elevators, I remember reading a heck-load of nasty things about
    the undercurrent of sexism etc... & recent articles (found btw via another
    thought provoking PZ Meyers sexism article, not as thought provoking as
    this one, but still offering enough food for thought to justify getting your
    atheist-leader-approved PUA groove going) indicate there are many front
    on which this argument is being made.

Any successes for women they wish to discuss will no doubt be extremely
    overblown & appear grandiose in the context, I mean the very idea of
    weighing the successes against the claims being made is a horrendous
    thought, not only does it insult people who work for equality regardless of
    their secularism/religion but I mean the very idea of bragging in this
    manner just reminds me of this:

So what say you people? Is it a cynical farce to even try offer two sides
    to this story? Are the sexism, boys-club etc... etc... claims overblown or
    is there a valid point being made, or perhaps the point still isn't being
    made strongly enough & there's still a hell of a long road down to be
    trotted down?

You'll note I tend to agree that there's something wrong but that's just
    based on what I read back when this thread was at it's full glory, idk,
    hence the question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Please let this thread rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

sink wrote: »
    Amusing or not, it's a very poor argument, essentially it boils down to 'worse stuff happens, so you have no right to complain'. It's not even an argument it's simply dismissive.

Either the man who propositioned her in the elevator was wrong to do so, or he was not. Anything else is a red herring.

He wasn't dismissing it. He was putting the incident into perspective, and that is totally different.

Dawkins is right, in that comment at least. A woman was approached by a man, and he offered her some coffee. She said no, and he respected that. Big deal! Even I get the odd proposition every once in a while. Women like that embarass me, tbh. Stiffen the sinews FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The thread... oh dear God the thread... It has risen!!!! :eek:

For the love of God Robin, why?

...Why!?!?

2q809r8.gif

Meanwhile, christians (going to an 'ascension conference' of all things) seem worried about a christian elevatorgate:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/04/06/at-christian-conference-boys-must-use-the-escalators/

200016.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

So at an ascension conference boys and girls must use different ways to ascend? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm not sober. what the hell is going on????

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm not sober. what the hell is going on????
    Nothing.

Now keep it that way and stay out of the elevator this time.

Advertisement