Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Training Log.

Options
  • 06-07-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Hey all this is pretty late but i said I'd post my summer training progress. This year i moved up from u16 to A4. Last year was very much a learning curve and just getting used to being on the bike and putting as much kilometres into my legs as possible. This year i plan on being more competitive in the races and what not. This log is really only sine i finished school and bought a speedometer on June 9th. This year i upgraded from my Spego GO! bike to a full carbon Sunn Falcon, Odd named bikes:D

So this is the story since i bought the speedo. Ive probably got 1200km's done this year so far.

Welcome to advice and opinions:D
    June.
    Thursday 9th: Patrickswell final week of time-trial league. 4th overall.

Friday 10th: Training, Easy spin, 22miles. Mainly flat.
    Saturday 11th: Rest.
    Sunday 12th: Race, Currow. 45km. 23mp/h avg. Got sick as moving up for sprint.
    Monday 13th: Ill from Sunday. No training.
    Tuesday 14th: Worked out legs. Squats etc…
    Wednesday 15th: 45km mostly flat.
    Thursday 16th: County TT championships. 11.32miles.
    Friday 17th: Sprints, then 60km.
    Saturday 18th: 1hour. Spinning.
    Sunday 19th: 22km, pulled out got sick…. Again. Ballymore.
    Monday 20th: Rest.
    Tuesday 21st: 65km.
    Wednesday 22nd: 80 km + LT’s. 10min x 2.
    Thursday 23r;d:1hr spinning.
    Friday 24th: 60km
    Saturday 25th: Rest.
    Sunday 26th: 100km
    Monday 27th: Sprints.
    Tuesday 28th : 60km plus 4 x 700m hill sprints.
    Wednesday 29th: Nothing.
    Thursday 30th : Munster time trials. 25km.
    July.
    Friday 1st : Rest.
    Saturday 2nd: Weights.
    Sunday 3rd: 60km race.
    Monday 4th: Rest.
    Tuesday 5th: 50km in morning sprinting, race in evening 50km. High pace, 26mph avg. 100km day.
    Wednesday 6th: (Today) Recovery very tired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Miserable day today, woke up early weather was really off putting but dragged myself out to meet up with one of the lads.

Left home face head wind the whole way into town, then headed back towards Dundrum with a nice tail wind pace was high for most pushing 38/9 km/hr.

Points of acceleration along the way for a few minutes. Really tired though today for some reason.

53km day was too wet and too tired to do anymore. I'll suffer tomorrow:p

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Welcome to the training log corner Steve. You seem to have a good range of workouts there. Are you following a specific training plan?

Thank you. Not on any training programme for the road training but the sprints and Lactic Thresholds are from my friends track training programme so I tag along and do them also, Found the LT training very good for the race on Tuesday as the pace got higher at the latter stages of the race.

So today was pretty miserable and the rain just kept coming down so I decided it would be better if i stayed in and did some of my home work out. Anyone know if working out my arms is benificial in anyway on the bike, such as pullong on the drops for sprints or climbing on the hoods?

Also looking to buy a turbo trainer or rollers for horrible days like this just so I can keep my legs ticking over. Any opininons on which is better?

Planning on a hard flat run tomorrow into Cashel via Cappawhite> Dundrum> Knockavilla> Cashel and back via the same route or maybe if i feel strong enough head out towards Golden from Cashel then onto Kilfeacle Tipp Town and back home. Depending on the day and how I feel.

So I didnt do my route as i said. I decided to head out late evening and did 40km, but hard going. Was mad to get home because the midgets were eating my head alive.

Managed to get it done in an hour and 10 and was quite lumpy so im pleased enough with it. Average on my speedometer is acting up but the pace was definitely in the mid 30kp/hr.

Definitley heading out to cashel with a friend tomorrow.

• Advertisement

So i headed out Sunday fo my spin but forgot my speedo:p oops, well i reckon i did 70km anyway.

I rested Monday as I usually do.

Today i was with a few of the lads training for the Suir Valley this weekend. Did mostly hill training up the glen of Ahelow twice from the town side then up of Cordangan, one word can only describe it, MURDER!! the gradient is well into double figures. After that headed up th Christ The King side of the glen and went back to a friends.

More tomorrow!

Today was harder than yesterday might have been the savage heat or the extra 30km but i got it done. All hills mostly, up the Glen from each way,(Town side, Hotel side and up Christ The King). Then after we headed up Cordangan, fully sure its getting steeper:p Did that second and after climbing up the town side it felt easy, up and around 25km/hr until before the hairpin where it really kicks up.

Hopefully racing the weekend will be fun;)

Overall done 87km.

Same spin tomorrow and Friday looking to do 70 or so kilometres of flats thank god!

Didnt do any major hills today legs didnt feel upto it at all! Went out for 85km's of flats. All was fine going towards Drombane but the head wind on the way home was killer!

Going to take tomorrow off, completely shattered! I'll jead to the gym then Saturday and then possibly racing on Sunday.

So Ive had pretty much the laziest weekend in a very long time, I took Friday off and headed to the gym Saturday, did 25mins on the bike and got extremely bored of watching the wall!:D I was supposed to go out Sunday, woke up at 8 to be in town for 11, raining ALL morning and conveinently my body warmer was missing so i stayed home and well did nothing!:( Moving onto Monday, headed out just said screw the rain! My usual hill is a no go in bad rain it gets unreal slippery and thats the last thing i wanna do is fall! Did 45km of just basic flats and called it a day i was cold and miserable! Today i went out at the worst part of the day! Did 50km's of just rolling road felt okay! Weather at the moment is promising for tomorrow:D

Yesterday was the first time I was back hard on the bike, went out with a few of the lads and did 66 km of flats. Was fine the hole way around just got one big line of muck up my face sitting on the wheel:p

Today was grand, 72km on the road, did the glen from town side and christ the king side, descended twice by the hotel hit 78 km/hr:p can go faster but Id spin out soon. Then was just rolling road up and down until the main road from bansha to town.

Then went out for a 5km run so Im pooped atm but planning on one more hard days training tomorrow rest saturday and possibly race Sunday!

• Advertisement

Ah similar days really, 70 kms. Got in a bit of both hills and flats. Happy with todays average though climbing well thank god!

Monday was just a short day decided to get out the TT bars for 40km's. Twas grand going averaged about 36kmhr landscape wasn't the flattest and probably could've pushed a lil harder descending. Had football training in the evening then.

Today was gonna go out on my own but heard about a league race in limerick. Was grand pace was up and about 40km/hr until the chasing A2's and 1's caught us. As they passed jumped onto the wheel of the group. Was hurting all the way to the finish but stuck in with them. Didnt contest the sprint cause I hadnt the slightest clue where it was so just rolled over.

120km in the two days. Might be racing tomorrow also.:D

Didn't race wednesday because I had a west semi in football that evening so decided to just head out for 50km in the morning just a light session to keep things tickin' over.

Thursday was the worst and shortest spin I've had on the bike in months now, 30km. I was completely wrecked from the week and really forced myself to get out, every little incline felt like i was in the big ring in the 14t when i was only in the small ring on the 14t!

Friday was much better went out with one of the lads had mini races along the way with king of the hills and sprints along the roads:p Twas good fun kept the pace up winding up for sprints and breaking away and chasing back before climbs. Got 90kms in and felt great after.

Today, Saturday, went out for 60km flat route really wish i went for more really bored now!:mad:

Probably be out again tomorrow so will post ASAP.

Went out with the two lads today, 90km did the same kinda stuff i.e racing for points along the road and what not.

Headed from home to town> Bansha(to meet up with one of the lads)> back to town> Dundrum road> left up a back road> right towards Donohill> Right in Donohill> Annacarthy> Dundrum> Donaskeigh> Kilfeacle> Bansha Up the glen and back home:D]

Heading up the glen to watch the suir valley tomorrow!

Bit of cleaning up to do here!

Monday was justa short day! Went up to the hairpin on the glen to see the Suir Valley. Was just in and out again. 45km, thank god i wasn't training full intensity because i was struggling up the town side for some reason, Im gonna put this down to the weather:D Was hurling training later that night which really took it outta me for tuesday.

So tuesday was equally as short really didn't feel like heading out but dragged myself outta the house to do 50km, again my climbing was horrid! I don't know whats wrong this week i feel really weak on the climbs. Gonna really put it in next week!

Headed out with one of the boys Wednesaday, was a miserable summers day! No matter where we went there was a horrible head wind! Did 70kms at a fine and easy pace really. Played a west semi play off match that night.

Was planning on taking Thursday off and rest but heard of a league race in town so decided to head in and chance my arm at it! I was coming into it tired to start with and wasn't expecting much! Was set off in the middle group with about 8 other riders, 6 minutes behind the first group and 5 ahead of the quicker group. As we headed towards Kilfeacle i was feeling okay but not great and as I lead up the hill two lads broke off and I had nothing in me to chase only staying at a nice steady pace but the gap opened. Comong down the descent i was hitting 70km/hr. I was determined to close the gap and went into time trialing mode but all I hear from a fella dropping off 'STEADY'. I said to myself forget it drive on and ignore him and keep powering on. After about 3 minutes of driving on at 45km/hr+. another rider came to the front and slowed us down by a good 10km/hr and the gap between the four of us left in the group and the two riders began opening again. On one of the descents I had said to one of my friends Im going on my own to close the gap and stick in with the two lads. I took off down on the drops powering away expecting my friend to come too but no joy so i steadyed it out and rode on. I was caught after a few km's. After the roundabout my friend went and I tried to go but ran wide on the roundabout and couldn't jump on the wheel so decided to chase him down. He was constantly the same distance away from us but we werent bringing him back. Now there was only 3 of us left and with me only getting help from one rider it was getting tough in the head wind. The first group were in our sights and were starting the split and we tore past a few of them on the return to Kilfeacle. Then on the descent I had my cadence up and over 150! Cant remember the speed but was really going for it, at this stage the quick group passed us and i tried to jump in but was not getting any help at all so just kept riding and sat in behind a few drop offs from the quick group and passed them with another lad. At this stage I had dropped the lad who passed the quick group drop offs and all the slower group lads. Came in in around 7th or something, took two riders on the line.

Friday I took off to collect my training bike frame and rear wheel but sadly the shop was closed... GUTTED:(

Few points over the week:
    1. My levers are driving me crazy, I want to get Sram ones and gradually change to full Sram but the levers are extremely expensive, so I'll probably mix and match and get campag 10speed Ergo's. I figure it'll be cheaper to go 10 speed on my good bike and put my current 9 speed rear derailer on my training bike and buy a 10 speed derailer for my good bike.
    2. Climbing, this week was horrible, like climbing on punctures!
    3. I saw carbon FSA handle bars on chain reaction for 33euro! 62% off.
    4. I need to get a shorter stem to cure my back and neck pain!

So after taking Friday off I decided I was so disappointed with my climbing Thursday I wanted to get some power into them and climb in the big ring and 14 or 15t. Wasnt any major climbs but really went for it! Probably way slower than any of my normal times in lighter gears but more to come on that;) So an overall 65km pushing the heavy gears mostly!

Sunday, went back to a normal days cycling in normal gearing and what not! Was a tad tired but still kept going. Was more comfortable than normal on the saddle:p So just kept going and did 105km:D If I had more days like that I'd be challenging everyone:p I think this is the furthest I've gone on my own this year? So happy out!

Took the Monday off and doodled about the internet looking for reviews on my bike which I cannot find anywhere! Its a Sunn Falcon Road bike if anyone has ever come across any! i think I'll sell up next year and get a TCR or LOOK if I've won the lotto;)

For the first time this year I did my trianing in the evining! Major difference. I truely hate cycling after 3pm. Too much traffic and cows and tractors on the roads! But anyway decided to just do flats and stay either in the TT position without the bars or with my arms at a 90degree angle to the levers! Felt kinda lazy after 60km so did the 10km home and got dinner! 70km.

After Tuesday I took Wednesday off and just did a light 8km no reason just fancied a change:p

Thursday was a 10mile TT in Bansha, was planning on just cycling out and use that as my warm up but decided to head out with two of the lads before it and did flats, was finding it hard i must admit! Thoughts for the TT were grim then:p Was disappointed with the time, 27:02. Its a minute and a half quicker than last years though. I reckon I could get into the 25's for the next one Thursday week! 75km.

Friday was pretty much a recovery and to keep the legs spinning, no major pace only decending:D On the way down my own road the rain had came down heavy and me stupidly decided 'I'll sprint' The back wheel just spun everytime I pushed or pulled on the pedals, nearly came off:p 70km.

Racing Sunday so Saturday was pretty much about upping the pace from the previous day, so headed out for a route I'd never done before. Did 63km's at 32km/hr.

Sundays racing. Dungarvan, I love this circuit but wasn't pleased to hear about the fact we may have been doing two laps but thankfully not:p Nice 3km climb to finish. The pace was grand and even popped up the front briefly(Blue cycling pursuits jersey). After getting off the main road onto a god awful road for about 10km, rattled everything on me and the bike to bits! Was glad it ended when it did cause I couldn't picture myself hanging on for much longer on it! On the left turn onto the main road I was really far back in the group and had to sprint up the drag to get back on, looked at the speedo reading 52km/hr:p After getting back on nearlt had an off as some fella pulled in from the wrong side of the road to avoid a car, as he pulled in on top of the group riders behind him had to break and the whole group behind likewise! Just avoided a girl in front of me cassette, inedvitable puncture! Felt a firm shunt from a fella who had to break also, wobbled but stayed up! As we were coming up to the turn off to the hill finish I was contemplating breaking on the last Km of flat cause I knew I wouldnt be the strongest climber! But I stayed in the group, bad idea. When we took the turn again I had to fight back on because of my poor position! Dropped into the small ring and tried spinning up at a good pace but the group were getting further away so I stood up flicked into the big ring and climbed standing on the drops. A REVELATION! I got back on:D Wanted to go but had just enough in me to finish in the group!

Monday off.

Big spin tomorrow! Will update after Thursdays league race!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Where do you find out about these races and stuff. I'm interested in starting A4 racing, would even like to just see one for the time being, see what its like...

I've tried googling, but there doesn't seem to any centralised list of whats going on in Cork/Munster

Just have a look at the calendar on the cyclingireland website, there arent many races left this season though:( But Im sure later in the year the 2012 edition of the race season will be comong our and that gives listings of all races but not every race weekend has an A4 race so check that up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I saw that calendar alright, it just seems a little unorganised to me. Going out with the club tomorrow night, might ask them about it too.

• Advertisement

Yeah its not very well layed out really, thats probably the best thing you can do anyway!

After Mondays day off, well kinda:p went for a 5km run. Was quite cold actually:p Dont know what the time was i just go handy anyway:D

Tuesday was another miserable day out but went out for a light spin anyway, tend to feel better cycling in the rain! Nice and cool but not cold:D Was a mixed day flat and climbs nothing major, 75km..

Hills day! Did a fair bit of climbing wednesday, out to Bansha, race to Rossadreihid I lost:mad: just... Anyway onto Lisvernan, hate that climb bumpy and miserable on the legs! Descended towards Galbally up a new climb I hadn't been on up to Hillcrest and scared the sh1t outta a load of horses:p Turned around at the top and headed back towards Lisvernane and had to climb the descent towards Galbally this time round, nice climb smoooth as! After that headed towards the Glen and with me going up the hotel side(the horrible longer side) but the first way up and my friend having to go up Christ the King side a bit up the road we decided to see who'd get up to the carpark first! All was well throughout, as I popped over the steep bit onto the flat I thought he'd already got up bit no, looked down and back up again the f***er was just passing my turn off! GUTTED:mad: Home after that then by Donohill. 73km.

Thursday was the league race then. There was only 6 or 7 in our group but twas enough! Thought it was a different circuit to what it actually was but nope no luck! Disastourus start, couldnt get me pedal in at all at all! spent the first quarter of a mile chasing but did get back on. The group were working really well with two men doing up and overs at a time and the pace was always high! On the way home we caught the first group set off and a few of them were able to tag along and throw a few turns in on the front, but two other riders were up the rode set off much before anyone so it was gonna come down to third onwards in the sprint if the faster group didnt catch us in the meantime! Thankfully we were putting time into them i reckon! I dont enjoy fully flat finishes or races at all but was glad to see the drag to the finish. About two kilometres out I found myself somewhere I didnt want to be, the front! I knew well nobody would come through at this stage and I was effectively a lead out man for the bunch behind. Cranked up the pace a bit more intending on riding away or dropping people, the metres flew by and a gap had opened between me and the group at about 400 to go. As I had the gap I kicked with 300 to go thinking 'Cav dont even go from here and he has a lead out man, Im a legend!' I was getting away but in the last 50 a fella came rocking from the inside of me who had apparently been on my wheel the hole time! He won the sprint. At this stage I felt more like a Renshaw than a Cav! Rolled over 6th!

Took Friday off to again collect my wheel and winter frame, again not done!:mad: I'll be looking out for bits and bobs on here soon:rolleyes:

Headed out at the wrong time this morning when the clouds were overcast and rain looked to be on the way but now Im typing outside in a scorcher of a day! Anywho, headed to Cappamore left to Dromkeen in along the main road straight into town and home by Donohill! 70km.

So with school looming I want to get in as much kilometres I can so Im in decent shape for the Nationals, still think my climbing needs an improvement but my drops technique of climbing may be put on hold for a bit. More on that later.

Sunday was a 70km day, day started out absolutely horrible and looked as though it was going to stay that way but typical as I come down the road home the sun shines out:mad: Anyway it was a lumpy enough day around Cullen, Emily and Lattin but the pace was reasonable for most at about 30km/hr on the lower but long-ish climbs. Decents were fun, hitting well over 5km/hr and now pedaling easier with the power being in my legs! Came home by Donohill as usual.

Was feeling a bit sick Monday but the day looked promising at 9am so decided to just stroll out and not kill myself, i was well under average at only about 25km/hr on the rolling roads, even saw the speedo drop to 14km/hr on a tinnie tiny climb:p Anyway after many many hours I got my old 60km route done, used to take about two hours with the climbs and stuff but took me nearly two and a half!

With a play off final last night, i just went around my old house and up a very nice road I really never thought of at all! Very hilly, only inteneded going up to the top of the entrance to the red hill twice and then heading on to town and Oola and then home but once I got to the top I decided to keep going. Had a rough idea where I was going and was right, ended up in Hollyford. Nice climbs up there steep in most directions good to know for the future! Im going to try manually map it from home to Hollyford on mapmyride.

I didnt head out today for two reasons;
    1. Im tired but not too bad and the main reason..
    2. I've had a pain in my wrist lately, really annoying and sore, woke up with it stiff as anything so didnt go out!

Hopefully this decision will will fair to me on the 10mile TT. After my bad time the last time hopefully I'll improve, I know Im not the strongest TT-ist but its a part of the game so have to keep trying at it! Im more of a Phil Gil rider:p

Me in the munster time trials:D;

Havent done anything at all with school being flat out for the early parts so im in the gym 3 days a week and training with the school so fitness is reasonable- not good. Recently got my winter bike back and stripped my carbon frame of everything to put on the winter bike so pondering on the idea of a new bike or new parts, either way an ad will be up soon:P Gonna be back on the bike in october at some stage hopefully early!

More to come!

Advertisement