Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casey Anthony

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

Anybody been watching fox news over the past month?I don't think its exaggerating to say 25% of Fox's airtime was dedicated consistently to this case.
    In their coverage of this case all their legal analysists were saying she would be convicted of first degree murder and there was little doubt she did it.
    It disturbed me how much interest they had in the case and how much this could affect jurors if they watched.Are they all kept in isolation or something for the duration of the trial or is anything done to prevent external influence on their decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Never heard of her or the case until this morning. Meh, she was found not guilty.. bigger injustices happen every day. She's a young white woman hence the media interest in the case.

Similar to - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

On November 26, 2008, officials released 700 pages of documents related to the Anthony investigation, which included evidence of Google searches of the terms "neck breaking", "how to make chloroform", and "death" on Casey Anthony's home computer
    The following diary entry by Casey Anthony is dated "June 21" and reads:
    I have no regrets, just a bit worried. I just want for everything to work out OK. I completely trust my own judgment and know that I made the right decision. I just hope that the end justifies the means. I just want to know what the future will hold for me. I guess I will soon see – This is the happiest that I have been in a very long time. I hope that my happiness will continue to grow– I've made new friends that I really like. I've surrounded myself with good people – I am finally happy. Let's just hope that it doesn't change.

If these are true, surely she's a guilty women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

July 15, 2008: George and Cindy Anthony pick up Casey’s car from a tow yard. George Anthony observes a strong odor emanating from the vehicle. Later, back at the Anthony family home, Casey tells her mother and brother, Lee Anthony, that she hasn’t seen Caylee in a month and that a babysitter named Zanaida Fernandez Gonzalez (Zanny) kidnapped her.

That damned some puerto rican guy again?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wow, how did i not see this, how can you not report your child missing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

kingtubby wrote: »
    Are they all kept in isolation or something for the duration of the trial or is anything done to prevent external influence on their decision?

They had their TVs taken off them for the last week or so of the trial, once the media started covering the trial in depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Being found "Not Guilty" does not equate to being found "Innocent". Secondly, the prosecutor holds the burden of proving that the def. committed the crime and the prosecutor failed to overcome that burden. Regardless of your personal opinion on the matter, the jury came to the right decision based upon the evidence presented to them.

This is the beauty and the ugly of the American justice system.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Mark200 wrote: »
    They had their TVs taken off them for the last week or so of the trial, once the media started covering the trial in depth.

No. They were sequestered for the duration of the trial.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-05-08/news/os-casey-anthony-trial-sequestration-20110508_1_jury-selection-casey-anthony-trial-anthony-case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

I do believe that Casey is probably somehow culpable in the disappearance/death of her daughter. However, if someone was to put themselves in the position of that jury. The prosecution as mentioned before had very little to connect Casey exactly to the remains found in the swamp. They used a lot of what the American media are calling "junk science" e.g someone saying the car "smelt of death" and the "odor detector" Out of the 3 pathologists not one of them could deduce a cause of death. It's been said as well that the prosecution might have overcharged her, the possibility of her being put to death probably turned off some jurors. As well as this the demeanor towards the end of the prosecution laughing while the defense gave closing might have worked in their favor. If only the remains were found sooner and sufficient DNA evidence could have been preserved leading probably to someone being convicted for her brutal end. The American media have no concept of the presumption of innocence, Nancy Grace to name one. It was a "dry bones" case unfortunately and much to the detriment of Caylee

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »

The article said that they had restrictions on what they could watch on TV. I simply said that towards the end of their trial, their TVs were completely taken off them.

Mark200 wrote: »
    The article said that they had restrictions on what they could watch on TV. I simply said that towards the end of their trial, their TVs were completely taken off them.

Yeah, but I was just pointing out that the TV restrictions were not the only thing. It's not like it was their home TVs that were taken away, a lot of effort was made to shield them from biased information.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jigglypuff

Alternate juror says he agrees with the not guilty verdict and explains why:

http://www2.tbo.com/news/news/2011/jul/06/13/anthony-alternate-juror-she-did-not-get-away-with--ar-242105/#poll_120
    laid out three reasons why he didn't believe the prosecution: The evidence wasn't enough to sustain a conviction, no motive was presented and there was no proven cause of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

laid out three reasons why he didn't believe the prosecution: The evidence wasn't enough to sustain a conviction, no motive was presented and there was no proven cause of death.

Call me crazy but most of us here could answer those 3 things.

Well those of us that believe her to be guilty, and yes it would be a fair to argue that I formed my opinion solely on what was said in the US media and they had her down as guilty from the start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It comes down to what is reasonable doubt for me.

It was nicely put last night, a reason to doubt is not reasonable doubt. I don't think there is a reason to doubt she did it, I don't think there is a reason to doubt she hid the body and delayed the discovery of the body (lying to the police giving misleading lines of enquiry of which she was found guilty)...there can be only one logical explanation of what happened.

There's as much chance that aliens invaded and wrapped the girl's face in masking tape while searching for chloroform and breaking someone's neck on her computer as there is accidental death. Is that microscopic chance enough of reasonable doubt? That conflict will never be resolved..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Lads I'm in Florida at the minute and to day people were shocked that she was found not guilty is an understatement.
    People are so mad over here about it,everyone thought she was getting life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Lads I'm in Florida at the minute and to day people were shocked that she was found not guilty is an understatement.

Lies!

your location say sligo! why would you lie ya big liar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Call me crazy but most of us here could answer those 3 things.

No, some people here would present speculation on those three questions as fact. This is entirely different to being able to answer those three questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Never mind that, is Mickey Mouse really as big he looks?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Lads I'm in Florida at the minute

Brag brag brag, no recession round here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Some person swapped out the jury's Alzheimer's meds it would seem. As that has to be the only way of explaining this travesty of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

In court the defense argued that the child died in an accidental drowning. "Casey did not murder Caylee. It's that simple," defense attorney Jose Baez told reporters after the verdict was announced

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/05/us-crime-anthony-idUSTRE7620Y720110705

If they say she drowned. What were the 'alleged' circumstances? This whole case stinks. Going around, minus her daughter for weeks, wtf? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

fjsanchez wrote: »
    If these are true, surely she's a guilty women

About the diary, they said that was written before the child was ever born, Defence said it was from 2003, could have been, if it was it shows how something innocent can be twisted!

NoQuarter wrote: »
    About the diary, they said that was written before the child was ever born, Defence said it was from 2003, could have been, if it was it shows how something innocent can be twisted!

The diary type was first produced in 2004...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Being found "Not Guilty" does not equate to being found "Innocent". Secondly, the prosecutor holds the burden of proving that the def. committed the crime and the prosecutor failed to overcome that burden. Regardless of your personal opinion on the matter, the jury came to the right decision based upon the evidence presented to them.

This is the beauty and the ugly of the American justice system.

So you are innocent until you are found not guilty in which case you're no longer innocent?:confused:
    Innocent until proven guilty, if you're found not guilty that means you're back to the status of legally innocent again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

markwho wrote: »
    Can you imagine if a Father went off with his daughter, and she disappeared and was found dead. It would be a very different story. That's what annoys me.

This. If there was no double standard I wouldn't be so outraged by this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

too many people mixed up "was she a bad mother?" with "is there undeniable physical proof that she killed her daughter?"

the prosecution going for the death penalty, plus their inability to present their circumstantial evidence properly ruined their case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

dfx- wrote: »
    It comes down to what is reasonable doubt for me.

It was nicely put last night, a reason to doubt is not reasonable doubt. I don't think there is a reason to doubt she did it, I don't think there is a reason to doubt she hid the body and delayed the discovery of the body (lying to the police giving misleading lines of enquiry of which she was found guilty)...there can be only one logical explanation of what happened.

There's as much chance that aliens invaded and wrapped the girl's face in masking tape while searching for chloroform and breaking someone's neck on her computer as there is accidental death. Is that microscopic chance enough of reasonable doubt? That conflict will never be resolved..

there's no denying that the child was killed, that the child was chloroformed, that the child was ill treated or that the child was missing for a month without being reported. however, you cant say for certain it was casey anthony who did it

we all suspect that she did, but without any reasonable physical evidence you cant put someone to death imo

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/05/us-crime-anthony-idUSTRE7620Y720110705

If they say she drowned. What were the 'alleged' circumstances? This whole case stinks. Going around, minus her daughter for weeks, wtf? :confused:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm confident that if you searched a bit more or if you scanned through a few court transcripts that you'd find your answer quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Malty_T wrote: »
    So you are innocent until you are found not guilty in which case you're no longer innocent?:confused:
    Innocent until proven guilty, if you're found not guilty that means you're back to the status of legally innocent again.

OJ Simpson is a good example:

http://articles.cnn.com/1996-09-16/us/9609_16_simpson.case_1_murder-trial-sharon-rufo-ronald-goldman?_s=PM:US

Advertisement