Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

recedite wrote: »
    If JW and the Ionanists could go back in time, I could see them fitting right in, back in that little world of Holy Catholic Ireland :mad:

He would be fit right in with the third reichs PR machine very well, having similar ideals and religious beliefs. When I say similar,I mean nearly identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The Irish Times has an article on Hubert Butler.
    If JW and the Ionanists could go back in time, I could see them fitting right in, back in that little world of Holy Catholic Ireland :mad:

Oliver J Flanagan may in later years have settled into his role as a moderate conservative happy to be in Fine Gael. His earlier political career however would place him not in such a party but in this crowd: Ailtirí na hAiséirghe:

http://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/ailtiri-na-haiseirghe-irelands-fascist-new-order/

Think al Qaeda, think Taliban, think ISIS. This party wanted to impose a Catholic, Irish-speaking, compulsory conscription based, Hitler loving dictatorship that was going to invade Northern Ireland and thus drag us into WW2.

The Iona Institute with its fancy name and moderate exterior are sheeps clothese over a wolf. It cleverly tries to gloss over hardline policies by coming across as moderate. A bit like Nidge Farage and his UKIP. John Waters is a man who supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It would be absurd to suggest that Nazism was a consequence of the decline of religious practice in German society. Rather, it emerged from the growing scepticism and hubris of "modern" man in a hermetically-sealed, de-absolutised culture in which the explanations for everything were assumed to be imminent. If God did not exist, there was no reason to be good, so evil and "freedom" became the same thing. We should never tire of reminding ourselves and others that this is what Nazism meant.

Same paragraph. He's getting closer and closer to dispelling his own bullsh*t within the same sentence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Penn wrote: »
    He's getting closer and closer to dispelling his own bullsh*t within the same sentence.
    What was it Christopher Hitchens said about Jerry Falwell?
    If you gave Falwell an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can imagine people reading the 'if god did not exist, there was no reason to be good' sentence as being waters's own argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

i can imagine people reading the 'if god did not exist, there was no reason to be good' sentence as being waters's own argument.

I'm pretty sure he's made that exact argument before more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Guys, I think I know how J C can afford to buy a computer now! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I had a bout of boredom and managed to make a little comic I had kicking about in my head for a while, it's not very good...

http://imgur.com/a/2mQXX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

That Pan type character in the closet, is it a reflection of himself, or is it meant to be somebody else?

That Pan type character in the closet, is it a reflection of himself, or is it meant to be somebody else?

It's Mr. Tumnus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Links234 wrote: »
    It's Mr. Tumnus

Ah yes. So far in the closet, he's in Narnia. Good one ;)

Shrap wrote: »
    Ah yes. So far in the closet, he's in Narnia. Good one ;)

There we are :D

Uh, Dolce and Gabbana, uh, George Orwell’s thoughtcrime!

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/breda-o-brien-dolce-gabbana-face-boycott-over-synthetic-babies-comments-1.2147588

What on earth is she trying to foam about today? I couldn't read past the first sentence in which she invokes "Martina Navratilova's dustbin".

robindch wrote: »
    What on earth is she trying to foam about today? I couldn't read past the first sentence in which she invokes "Martina Navratilova's dustbin".

Sorry, can't help you. Couldn't read past "This was before he commissioned a second child" in relation to Elton John. She was making no sense before that point, so perhaps someone with a stronger stomach can read a bit further and shed some light?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I posted about that article in the Lolek Ltd thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94770708&postcount=1011

Life ain't always empty.

Shrap wrote: »
    [...] so perhaps someone with a stronger stomach can read a bit further and shed some light?
    I dunno - perhaps the forum could crowdsource reading her prose and come to some provisional conclusion concerning the matter about which she's raving. Or maybe everybody could just have some tea. Which I think would be a much better idea!

I knew that Elton John's involved somehow because it's been a while since D+G has come up in the news and they showed up connected with him on the Beeb's News Quiz last week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b055jyzj

Milk + sugar with that, Shrap?

robindch wrote: »

Milk + sugar with that, Shrap?

No sugar cheers, am sweet enough already. Yeah, there was something about "synthetic" children from D&G (who turned out to have looked into surrogacy themselves back in the day) and now Breda with her "commissioned" children bandwagon (emphasis on the "wagon" please readers...). I'm not convinced we need to read to the end of the article tbh.

Ps. Ooh, thanks for the link. Missed that one. Must go listen to Sandy Toksvig ripping them all limb from limb in the nicest way possible.

I posted about that article in the Lolek Ltd thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94770708&postcount=1011

Oh, well done! Summarised and everything!

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/breda-o-brien-question-of-pizza-for-a-gay-wedding-sparks-death-threats-1.2171879

Pizza, the KKK, Apple, and gay incest by surrogacy. Sounds even more deranged when summarised like that :)
    There is no equality in this controversy, just little people desperately scrabbling to defend themselves against a machine that paints them as homophobic, bigoted and functionally equivalent to racists.

:rolleyes:

Breda just doesn't get it at all. The public increasingly does regard homophobes (whether they use religion as a cloak for their bigotry or not) as equivalent to racists, and why not?

Life ain't always empty.

Breda just doesn't get it at all. The public increasingly does regard homophobes (whether they use religion as a cloak for their bigotry or not) as equivalent to racists, and why not?

Alot of people don't get it, racist, sexist, homophobic behaviour ( and many more besides) are all groups of people who hate for no reason, no matter how they protest. They all justify it as if they are somehow different, but they are not.

It is hate that cannot be justified by any reasonable person once detailed let alone a society.

Breda should be charged with incitement to hatred but alas, she is the worst kind of homophobe. Not in her words, not in her beliefs but in my opinion, she knows what she says gets hits on her page, and keeps her employed. She is not a homophobes through ignorance or circumstance or just plain being a ****. She does it for money and substanance. None are excusable but somehow, to me, she is worse.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not in her words, not in her beliefs but in my opinion, she knows what she says gets hits on her page, and keeps her employed.

In addition to her second level teaching job, you mean...

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

breda didn't get the easiest of interviews on newstalk this morning:

http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.301/45184/0/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

breda didn't get the easiest of interviews on newstalk this morning:

http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.301/45184/0/

How rare for an Irish radio interviewer to be both properly prepared (he had listened to Mary McAleese's statement four times), and to actually challenge an interviewee on the facts. I really wish there was more of this on Irish radio, well done Chris.

In addition to her second level teaching job, you mean...

If my memory of second level teaching holds up, at least she will turn people against her viewpoint at a young age, fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Great to hear Breda challenged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Erm, hang on.

1) As per the Newstalk link above, Mary McAleese spoke out.

2) This morning, Breda O' Brien said
    "Mary McAleese has departed from the precedence set by Mary Robinson and President Hillary by intervening directly in matters of Irish policy, I presume she has a very good reason for doing so but I would like to call on her to clarify exactly what she meant in the implication that people who vote no are part of the architecture of homophobia.

She seems unhappy because a) McAleese expressed an opinion outside of normal diplomatic protocol b) and because she felt there was an insinuation that No voters were somehow enabling homophobia, even though the presenter pulled her up on this incorrect interpretation of McAleese's remarks.

I'm sure many don't care about McAleese. As far as I'm concerned she's a private citizen. This is not the US where she can still access CIA style intelligence briefings or the like. There's very little residual impact from any Irish president once they finish their term.

Breda is part of wider No camp that complains about being silenced, called bigots or homophobes. Which is it, free speech for all, or only on her terms?

Yes, they complain on their twitter feeds and in their weekly national newspaper columns about how they are being silenced :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

CramCycle wrote: »
    None are excusable but somehow, to me, she is worse.
    Of course she is far worse. She is educated, has from the outside anyway a nice, comfortable life, and yet still makes it her life's ambition to impose her ridiculous religiously influenced views on the rest of society, causing pain for and preying (probably the only praying she does) on the vulnerable groups like lgbt. She's extremely misguided bordering on evil.

BOB wrote:
    "Mary McAleese has departed from the precedence set by Mary Robinson and President Hillary by intervening directly in matters of Irish policy [...]
    Given that McAleese appears to have commented rather than intervened, one can only hope that BOB isn't a teacher of English.

Anyhow, what does BOB teach? One hopes religion, where her talents at conjuring things up out of thin air can be put to some use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Arts and witchCrafts^

Advertisement