Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 5, Stage 4: Lorient - Mûr-de-Bretagne 172km

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Like I said earlier (& what others have said) that was a great ride from Thor, imagine the power he had to put out on that climb compared to say Evans/Contador, in other words if they had put out the same power they would have won easily. Here's hoping they will put his data up on the Garmin website.
    Andy's form is seriously questionable, unless he's playing some sort of mad mind games before the mountains. Evans will put it up to Contador if his form continues this way, and he can also TT well, the Giro looks to have taken a bit out of AC. But AC is the kind of character that will do 'anything' to win, so...........interesting times ahead !!

Look at the stress on Conti's face !!

pic207818140_600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lebowski11

After lurking on this thread for a while I placed my first ever bet on a stage winner. Went with Contodor on the advice of the many on here who know far more about cycling than I do. Got my moneys worth anyway, keep the tips and opinions coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

Inquitus wrote: »
    Sadly it looks like Contador is going to piss the tour like he did the Giro :(

Contador put time into the GC guys last year on a similar short sharp climb into Mende on stage 12 so it may be a bit early to call it. Need to wait for the stages with cat 1's and hors!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Roche on Twitter

New wasn't ready! But hoping I would! Pitty I lost the wheel of main group at 600m to the line! Stupid way to loose a xtra 10 second!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Oh, I know he's not exactly a grimpeur - I'm just hoping he can hit good enough form to reach his own target of top 10 by the end, though top 15/20 is more likely. :) I completely agree with what you've said, my post was largely wishful thinking! You may have been able to tell that I'm not a huge Contador fan.. :P

I don't think that anyone who claims to be a fan of cycling can be a fan of Contador. The man is an absolute disgrace. I have more respect for fat, lazy, pajama wearing single mothers.
    I'd say Roche should focus on moulding himself into a Gilbert/Rodriguez type cyclist rather than going for 10-5 placings in GC's. He he has got the kick and the tenacity to to do well in tough one dayers as we saw in San Sebastian last year. It's far better to win a few classics and Grand Tour stages than being an almost but not quite good enough GC rider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

kilns wrote: »
    Roche on Twitter

New wasn't ready! But hoping I would! Pitty I lost the wheel of main group at 600m to the line! Stupid way to loose a xtra 10 second!

Jesus. It's a good thing he those legs because apparently the boy is barely literate. I mean, he can't even spell oops FFS. I hope whoever ghost-wrote that book was well paid, it can't have been easy.

My favourite bit of euro transliteration has to go to Fränk today:

Autsch that hurt,but I know i keep repeating myself.Great team work from @leopardtrek again.Everything good.

AUTSCH!!! I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

niceonetom wrote: »
    Jesus. It's a good thing he those legs because apparently the boy is barely literate. I mean, he can't even spell oops FFS. I hope whoever ghost-wrote that book was well paid, it can't have been easy.

No need for nico to be reeducated. It is clear from his twitter the nico regularly uses french in conversation and a little guess would indicate that oups may indeed be french for oops. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

It's twitter and he's just finished riding a stage of the TdF!

I think he's literate. Probably in 3 languages:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

It's a good thing he those legs because apparently the boy is barely literate.

If you're going to claim someone is barely literate, do so in a sentence that makes some sense in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

John.Icy wrote: »
    If you're going to claim someone is barely lierate, do so in a sentance that makes some sense in future.

I'm going to call that one a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Was there and savage climb.
    Evans is a class act
    Enjoy your dinner Bertie !!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

John.Icy wrote: »
    If you're going to claim someone is barely lierate, do so in a sentance that makes some sense in future.

A defeat I think !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

amjon. wrote: »
    I have more respect for fat, lazy, pajama wearing single mothers.

You're all heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Contadope will be loading up on the steak to try and get that time back on Evans and the Schleks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

wiggins is a diesel he just chugs along - just doesnt seem to have the ability to go with guys attacking (only 6 s down 2 s in front of AS)

Wiggins is a dark horse this year. Evans will find a way to mess it all up.

Best thing he can do is get some of Contadopes steak and hope he doesn't crash.

Andy was pulling some serious faces today but he always struggles in those roads. He will still win the tour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

amjon. wrote: »
    I don't think that anyone who claims to be a fan of cycling can be a fan of Contador. The man is an absolute disgrace. I have more respect for fat, lazy, pajama wearing single mothers.
    I'd say Roche should focus on moulding himself into a Gilbert/Rodriguez type cyclist rather than going for 10-5 placings in GC's. He he has got the kick and the tenacity to to do well in tough one dayers as we saw in San Sebastian last year. It's far better to win a few classics and Grand Tour stages than being an almost but not quite good enough GC rider.

Ha! I think my level of respect for him is somewhere around that level, alright.. Nicely put!

And as for your Roche remarks, I was just thinking about that towards the end of today's stage funnily enough. I'd absolutely love to see him turn into more of a classics rider because as you say, he's just not quite there in terms of GC - although with the Vuelta he could do a top 5 I reckon, he was 7th last year and genuinely seems to prefer that time of year. As Seán Kelly has demonstrated, it's possible to be of the puncheur style and do rather well in that particular Grand Tour with his record. Roche isn't of his level of course (especially not in sprints!), but I could see him doing well in the Vuelta.. Perhaps not this year with the Angliru back on (I can't wait for that stage, but I think my nails will be gone by the end, and if Contador is racing, I'll probably just ignore the stage winner :pac:). Definitely worth going for a stage win, and maybe a decent top 10 in it.

Anyway, rambling about GTs as opposed to classics. Seeing Roche taking on the Gilbert type role would be fantastic (and probably more exciting than him consistently placing top 10, top 20 etc in stages of the Tour - not that it's not an impressive feat, it is!) to see, and it'd definitely add a lot of Irish interest into more than just the Tour each year if we finally had someone competitive in the classics again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I enjoyed todays stage.

Great to see my old friend Andreas Kloden up there on GC. Like his former boss Walter Goodefrot said of Kloden when this guy gets it right he's unstoppable.
    I'd love to see him podium this year as his swansong.

Nice to see Evans win today as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Pat65

Remember the criticism of Dan Martin for sprinting on the hoods at the recent National Championships where he was beaten by millimetres?

Take a look at yesterdays sprint in the Tour where Contador was beaten by millimetres - and yes he too was sprinting on the hoods while Cadel Evans was on the drops!

Just saying like......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

He's just tweeted in English, French and Italian. I can forgive the odd spelling mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

He's just tweeted in English, French and Italian. I can forgive the odd spelling mistake.

But seems to be a bit illiterate in Irish too:D

http://twitter.com/#!/nicholasroche

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sandrew

Evans implode? No way (the man is all heart)

Advertisement