Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT "reduction"

Options
  • 04-07-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

The rate of VAT fell from 13.5% to 9% on Friday on certain goods and services - eating out, hotels, hairdressing, newspapers.

I stayed in a hotel at the weekend and was charged the booking price- no reduction. I bought lunch today, and a coffee elsewhere- no reduction (I know this for a fact as I buy the same coffee everyday and it's still the same price.)

Newstalk presenters were encouraging consumers to ask about the reduction and put pressure on the owners/management who are pocketing the excess.

Has anyone here seen any reductions so far, or asked about them? I'm interested to hear how you got on! Would you avoid the places that are not passing them on or do you care?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This is Ireland, what did you expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Sweatynutsack

My hairdresser is a MILF so she can charge me all the VAT she wants :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Even if they pass on this reduction to consumers, they will make it back in other ways. New charges on items that weren't charged for before.

These business are not going to try and deliberatly loose out on more money if they can help it. This "reduction" is all on paper, just to give people the idea that they are getting value for money, but in reality they are still getting fleeced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

They are not obliged by law to pass it on.

As one business man said he was gonna use the reduction to employ an extra member of staff.

The phrase "vote with your feet" is being used repeatedly. If you are not happy then avoid that particular bar/restaurant/hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

ebixa82 wrote: »
    They are not obliged by law to pass it on.

As one business man said he was gonna use the reduction to employ an extra member of staff.

The phrase "vote with your feet" is being used repeatedly. If you are not happy then avoid that particular bar/restaurant/hotel.

Of course they are obliged by law! It's tax and isn't their money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

A pub I was in on Saturday night has a sign up saying "5% VAT reduction on all carvery food."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Mcdonalds dropped 25 cent on most of their stuff.

A business can charge what they want! Just because the government reduce their tax take it doesn't mean the business has to reduce their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the VAT rate fell on Friday and you waited all weekend before posting about it !!!

As miley would say on Glenroe .... "well.... holy God !!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

They are not obliged by law to drop thier prices. They are now obliged by law to pay a lower rate of tax.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

They pay a reduced VAT rate to the tax man but are not obliged to pass on the reduction to the customer. People can charge whatever they want for whatever service they provide.

e.g. if a room costs 50e and the reduction makes it 48e they can still charge 50e, they can even charge 60e.

You need some basic lessons in how the process works!

Vicxas wrote: »

So is a double cheeseburger now €1.75 ???

please say yes

steve06 wrote: »
    A business can charge what they want! Just because the government reduce their tax take it doesn't mean the business has to reduce their prices.

Yes, a business can charge what they like. But in order to charge on 1st July what they charged on 30th June, they would have to increase their prices.

They pay a reduced VAT rate to the tax man but are not obliged to pass on the reduction to the customer. People can charge whatever they want for whatever service they provide.

e.g. if a room costs 50e and the reduction makes it 48e they can still charge 50e, they can even charge 60e.

I know what VAT is ta very much

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Yes but they have to change the price and change 5% on the new price.
    Ask for a VAT receipt and it they change more them 5% they are breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Difficult one this.

We all know that there are many businesses hanging on by a thread,who will be looking at letting more staff go and who really need this extra few Euro to stay in business.

I'd be happy enough to keep paying current prices for the various services affected by the V.A.T. reduction if it ensured that more people kept their jobs and businesses were able to keep going.

In reality a reduction of € 3.17 in the price of an € 80 hotel room or a saving of 10 Cent on a bag of chips isn't going to mean a huge amount to any individual, whereby the total savings on the part of the business concerned might just make the difference between staying in business or clising the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Ive seen a few places dropped their prices over the weekend.. Some will just up their base price to make it the same as before... Could be costly for some business's to re-print menus and have signs redone and such..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

The reduction in price for most items would be so small that most people aren't going to notice one way or another if prices have been lowered. This tactic is destined to fail, if anything the government should of added on 4.5% to the VAT rate. People are just buying the bare necessities at the moment and will continue to do so until the debt crises in Europe has been solved. Its far from solved at the minute and whats worrying is that there is no real desire being shown by Europe's leaders to solve the problem either. They are content to continue with the stop gap measures currently being implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Berkely

Glasson House hotel near Athlone passed on the vat reduction on weddings at the weekend and all accommodation bookings. Great to see.

Yes, a business can charge what they like. But in order to charge on 1st July what they charged on 30th June, they would have to increase their prices.

No their prices haven't increased. The government just gets less of a take. Their prices have only increased for you if you're keeping receipts and claiming the VAT back.
    Berkely wrote: »
    Glasson House hotel near Athlone passed on the vat reduction on weddings at the weekend and all accommodation bookings. Great to see.
    Nice first post Mr Glasson :D

• Advertisement

Berkely wrote: »

You know what they say about people in Glasson houses??

Ooops wrong saying :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

So the government have raided people's pension to increase the profit margins of restaurants. Well done Enda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Vicxas wrote: »

that must have messed up their euro saver menu... or do you get an extra pickle now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

snubbleste wrote: »
    This is Ireland, what did you expect?

I've heard of loads of places that have passed on the VAT cut, so eh...
    Kojak wrote: »
    Even if they pass on this reduction to consumers, they will make it back in other ways. New charges on items that weren't charged for before.

These business are not going to try and deliberatly loose out on more money if they can help it. This "reduction" is all on paper, just to give people the idea that they are getting value for money, but in reality they are still getting fleeced.

Businesses don't "loose out on money" from a cut in the VAT rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So is a double cheeseburger now €1.75 ???

please say yes

A big mac was 25 cent less so maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Im going to supermacs soon and if they havent droped the price of there snackbox from 7 Eur to 6.65 Eur there will be trouble and i will be asking to see the manager.

Help me out here cos I must be losing it......

eg: An hotel cost €100 on 30th June and also cost €100 on 1st July.

30/06/2011 - Net: 88.10
    VAT: 11.90
    Gross: 100.00

01/07/2011 - Net: 91.74
    VAT: 8.26

In light of the lower VAT rate and in order to keep the same gross, have they or have they not increased their price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sala wrote: »
    The rate of VAT fell from 13.5% to 9% on Friday on certain goods and services - eating out,

Correction.
    Oral being a professional service is at the higher rate of 21%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Help me out here cos I must be losing it......

eg: An hotel cost €100 on 30th June and also cost €100 on 1st July.

30/06/2011 - Net: 88.10
    VAT: 11.90

01/07/2011 - Net: 91.74
    VAT: 8.26

In light of the lower VAT rate and in order to keep the same gross, have they or have they not increased their price?

Maybe you get 5% better service from July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I know what VAT is ta very much

You might know what it means, but you sure don't know how it works if you think businesses are obliged to pass reductions on

Advertisement