Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Girl's transplant hopes dashed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

The Gulfstream was offered in time. This mess up has nothing to do with lack of available aircraft.

It has everything to do with too many organisers (EMSS, HSE, Crumlin hosp) who are all now running for cover and pointing the finger at each other.

The HSE as an organisation has again managed to abdicate responsibilty by involving mulitiple bodies instead of taking the bull by the horns and having the balls to actually control something itself.

With so many involved nobody will actually be blamed

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

stevie06 wrote: »
    From RTE Today,

seems like nobody wants to step up and take the blame for this one!

surely common sense would dictate that a jet would be faster/more comfortable than a helo!
    unless the person in EMSS grew up watching Airwolf! :D

god knows why they canceled a jet over the coastguard.......... the coastguard isn't an air ambulance, they are there for SAR cover, if they are off station then the SAR cover is limited until they are back.

very strange....................

My understanding from the above statement by EMSS, is that they were not given the correct donor details and therefore did not escalate the urgency for transport. It may just be sloppy reporting, but I think what was meant was that EMSS weren't informed the liver was from a non-heartbeating donor e.g. RTA victim, rather than a "non-living" donor as reported (all liver donors by definition must be non-living!).

If they were told, or assumed, that it was from a deceased but heartbeating donor, then there would not have been such a critical need to get the recipient ASAP. Hence why they may have stood down the jet in favour of a heli.

Either way, a tragic cock-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I nearly had to scrape my jaw off the floor when I heard these EMSS gobshítes state that they didn't know it would take four hours for a helicopter to fly from the WEST coast of Ireland to the EAST coast of the UK! :eek:
    and it seems they thought it was doable on a single tank of fuel! :o

...and these people's chosen career choice is to manage Emergency flight air assets :eek:

*ahem* P-45's *ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭stretch00

For info, yes there is a very clear documented procedure, I'm very familiar with it, and it is both well designed and fit for purpose. I find it very hard to understand how this situation arose. Honestly I would have to surmise that a person acted in a manner and made a judgement they were not entitled by procedure to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I dont know much about these procedures, but is there a plan B for these taskings?
    If there is, how fully is it worked out/implemented each time it isn't needed?

What I mean is do EMSS have a fall back in the event of technical/mechanical difficulties? In this case it appears plan A went down the drain at the last minute, and there seems to have been no switch to another plan. Rather several false starts of other options...

As mentioned by other better informed posters than me, there is an effective procedure for these cases but it appears there isn't an effective backup plan to be quickly implemented should something go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

(all liver donors by definition must be non-living!).

Not so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver_transplantation#Living_donor_transplantation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

How much are EMSS paid for their service I wonder?
    I wonder what the career background of EMSS personnel is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Should be treated as/like any request for a pt transfer IMO and delt with by hse ambulance control with adequate facility made available to them.
    People get bedazzled and excited at the thought of aircraft use which is crazy in this day and age.
    Question - is/was she a sitter or stretcher case?

Its well time that the front line emergency services (ambulance,fire & air rescue) were removed from the quagmire of quangos, politics budgets and administrive strangulation and amalgumated under one patient focused organization . name it what u like.............cc30

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭999nobody

Should be treated as/like any request for a pt transfer IMO and delt with by hse ambulance control with adequate facility made available to them.

Because they have such a great track record for efficiency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alexsilpo

My name is Alex, I am 31 years european man, I don't drink alcohol and don't smoke cigarettes, my blood is O+ and I have a good health. If you need liver transplant I am ready to give part of my liver, but I want to receive a big compensation for that...

<mod snip>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

alexsilpo wrote: »
    My name is Alex, I am 31 years european man, I don't drink alcohol and don't smoke cigarettes, my blood is O+ and I have a good health. If you need liver transplant I am ready to give part of my liver, but I want to receive a big compensation for that...

<mod snip>

alexsilpo perma banned for being liver transplant spam.

Ive seen it all now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,757 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Chief--- wrote: »
    alexsilpo perma banned for being liver transplant spam.
    ...and site-banned for spamming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

That article raises so many questions.

Why was the urgency of the situation not made clear from minute 1?

Why were the Sligo crew deemed initially unavailable by the control centre?

Why was the status of the government jet's landing not made crystal clear given this was a transplant flight they were arranging?

Why is there only a 9-5 Air Corps cover for transport to the UK?

Is the heli cover only for air ambulance calls in Ireland?

Why did the air corps buy helicopters that were needed for air ambulance that can't fly to London at night?

Hopefully this will end well for the young girl and for all concerned in arranging these flights in that there'll be no messing about next time. I know the excellent work the air corps and coast guard do and nobody will be as frustrated as the girl and her family and also the crews involved. They can't fly without an instruction, and the instruction has to happen quickly and clearly. Ive every faith in the on duty air craft crews, both AC and CG to get it right as they so so often without media attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

Paulzx wrote: »
    The Gulfstream was offered in time. This mess up has nothing to do with lack of available aircraft.

It has everything to do with too many organisers (EMSS, HSE, Crumlin hosp) who are all now running for cover and pointing the finger at each other.

The HSE as an organisation has again managed to abdicate responsibilty by involving mulitiple bodies instead of taking the bull by the horns and having the balls to actually control something itself.

With so many involved nobody will actually be blamed

Are you sure the Gulfstream was offered or even in the country at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Klunk001

Are you sure the Gulfstream was offered or even in the country at the time?

http://www.hiqa.ie/press-release/2011-07-12-inquiry-circumstances-led-failed-transportation-meadhbh-mcgivern-transplant

Hopefully we will get answers to all the questions in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Buffman

AeroMedevac is now basing it's aircraft at Dublin Airport to allow for 24 hour operations. They've also been contacted by Crumlin Children's Hospital for flights.

http://www.aeromedevacireland.com/article17082011.html
    Dublin 17TH August 2011
    AeroMedevac Ireland limited, the Irish based air ambulance operation announced that it is relocating its aircraft to Dublin Airport, allowing the company to provide a service 24- hours a day.
    AeroMedevac Ireland’s current operational base at Weston is suitable for medical repatriations from abroad which normally offer one to two days’ notice to arrange the repatriation flight. Given AeroMedevac Ireland may be called upon to operate on a 24 hour basis, the move to Dublin airport facilitates this activity.
    AeroMedevac Ireland commenced operations In December 2010 to provide aeromedical repatriation for people who become ill and injured while travelling overseas. The Company also provides hospital to hospital transfer services for people in Irish hospitals who wish to return to their home country for further treatment.
    Keith Trower, CEO AeroMedevac Ireland says: “We wish to maximise the availability of our air ambulance aircraft for all mission requests. For this reason, we are very pleased to announce that the aircraft will be located at Dublin airport from the 18th August. Our mission is to support and serve the community and to make a positive life changing contribution to those who will benefit from emergency medical repatriation.”
    AeroMedevac Ireland has received positive support from the Dublin Airport Authority with this arrangement.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0817/mcgivernm.html
    A dedicated 24-hour air ambulance service will begin operations at Dublin Airport from tomorrow.
    The move by AeroMedevac follows criticism that its current base at Weston Airport, outside Dublin, was only available during daylight flying hours.
    The company was contracted to provide services to Crumlin Children's Hospital, following controversy involving other service providers in relation to the transfer of liver patient Maedhbh McGivern last month.
    In a statement this afternoon, the company said they had been given assistance by the Dublin Airport Authority in relocating its medically-equipped Cessna Citation jet at the airport.
    AeroMedevac Chief Executive Keith Trower said while Weston was suitable for medical repatriation flights, the move to Dublin Airport facilitated '24 hours' operations.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Thread closed as there is a new thread about this Air Ambulance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement