Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freaking out.com!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ewanalex wrote: »
    ....where can you get real advice on this and totally unbiased, the tradespeople we have spoken to so far are all biased and giving us details to suit what they know is being charged in the area!So 1350sqf of groundworks, fairly standard job no major issues that i know of....
    ...if a tradesperson says a job costs XXX, and you expected to be X - why is it the tradesperson that's inaccurate ? We are fallible. I have eaten more than my share of humble pie, the other way around too......
    OK so then in theory it's impossible for any builder/contractor to give an exact quote based on drawings alone? Correct? For example if we get quoted 20k for Groundworks and foundations then realistically this tradesperson has no idea what it will actually cost without viewing my site before building? I cannot accept someone giving me a quote based on an awkward site for example 20k and then the site turns out to be easy and simple and we dont see the benefit of a reduction in the costs?
    Can you see where I am going with this? I just find it so hard to understand how these tradespeople provide quotes without really knowing what it will cost and it could actually cost less than what they are allowing for..... :(
    We were allowing approx 20k for foundations and site clearance...mmm:confused:
    In essence, you are correct. You cannot quote for stuff unseen. You can only estimate. If the digger finds a Spring, or Bedrock (as in my own build), you cannot expect the contactor to carry it. Such is life. When the NRA send out tenders for motorways, it's usually on foot of someone doing in-depth survey's and core-drilling to check ground conditions. Would you pay to do that, for a house, to guarantee the ground conditions ? Of course not.
    martinn123 wrote: »
    You might be looking at this from the wrong perspective.The quote's will more likely be based on the assumption of a good site, but with a get out clause, should say Rock or soft spots be found.So discuss with the contractor what are the assumptions, and if a difficulty is encountered, then you will have the opportunity to allow/ not agree any additional costs.

Exactly, with added :)
    No offence, but I think you are a bit naive about this housebuilding business. I am not an expert but even I know that the foundation is the only unpredicatable part of the budget. Everything else can be accurately estimated.

You won't know what's under the ground untill you dig.

TBH, it's not the 'only' one, unless you're doing a 100% construction-drawing-detailed tender, with a contractor. There are oh-so-many other things to catch people out !! And that's what prof fees are for. But you say you won't be doing that - so where is the info to come from ? and that's where you're putting it back on to the tradespeople.
    You're totally correct, I am completely naive as this will be my first (& last) time to ever build a house. But I hope you can appreciate that I feel sometimes my naiviety is getting us ripped off, we have had some quotes back now and there is such discrepancies between all the quotes for varying jobs etc. that I have to wonder hwo on earth they come to these quotes.
    We both realise that we are looking at approx 180k to build based on a previous post is the below completely incorrect?
    Site Clearance *3% 5400
    Foundation *9% 16,200
    External Walls 17% 30,600
    Roof *9% 16,200
    Windows and External Doors *7% 12,600
    Upper Floor 2% 3,600
    Stairs 1% 1,800
    Internal Walls 2.50% 4,500
    Internal Doors 2.50% 4,500
    Floor Finishes 4% 7,200
    Wall Finishes 5% 9,000
    Ceiling Finishes 2% 3,600
    Heating 6% 10,800
    Electrical Installation 4% 7,200
    Water Installation (Cold/Warm) 2% 3,600
    Waste & Sanitary 7% 12,600
    Kitchen 5% 9,000
    Built In Cupboards 1% 1,800
    Professional Fees 11% 19,800

As for the 19800 for pro fee's this will not happen, but i have just based this on a previous post from earlier and it does seem to be feesible? Am i still being naive?

I know you're saying you're naive, but every time you get an extra piece of information reduces that naiveté, and your position will change.

As for fluctuation's in prices, in no particular order, consider:
    1. Is it a one-man band you're hiring......or a formal contractor, with staff, plant, insurance, indemnities etc. ?
    2. Is whoever tendering for your job actually doing your job to make a margin (of any size), or just to create cashflow....?
    3. Is whoever is tendering for your job actually working out specifics, and pricing for those, or just generalistions...?
    4. Are your Tender-ers just dropping in ambiguous PC sums on a whole bunch of stuff ?
    5. Quality. All else being equal, it's the difference in quality that is often evident.

Frankly, imho, the whole item x item list above is meaningless, and I wouldn't build based on that methodology.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...which backs up a lot of my posts: materials are on the up, and will continue to do so. Only labour has changed, which brings me to.....

..with all due respect, your husband, in a related trade, also needs €XXX to earn a living, like we all do, so you would have an idea of what 'rates' need to be. So if you admit materials have gone up, and the only thing left is labour, and taking, say, your husband's knowledge of what it takes to earn a living, where do you think the 'rip-off' is ?

I don't know anyone in the trade making anything other than tiny margins - if any. It' simply not there.

What is "scary" to me, is that I think people are under-estimating the jobs in the first place, and so projects are starting out on a false premise, as it were.........and that will only end in tears. BTDT.

Well put Galway tt

now for the person who wants an unbiased quote. You should work it out for yourself if you dont believe what people are saying here. Trades are working for very low wages at the moment. They cant get any lower if they do most trades will be working below min wage with no hols, sick days or the availability of social welfare for the days they dont work.
    suppliers are rising their prices, all other trades or professionals within construction have cut theirs to the bone(if they havent then there just scamming or lucky). its as simple as that.
    count the hours trades are on site and divide your bill,see if you would work for it. There really isnt some sort of secret society in this game that sets us all out to scam everyone who isnt linked to building.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

FWIW, got advised that EPS/XPS is going up again in August.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Katienewbuild

Thanks again to everyone for their kind replies to this thread. Weeks on since original post and prices have come down considerably. We will be starting out on our build now in the coming weeks. Best of luck to all new builds

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Thanks again to everyone for their kind replies to this thread. Weeks on since original post and prices have come down considerably. We will be starting out on our build now in the coming weeks. Best of luck to all new builds

Any Chance you could outline how the costs have come down?

• Advertisement
Advertisement