Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about your dog over heating?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

rock sulphur,a traditional way used for generations of dog owners,sulphur is known to aid health and condition,drop walnut sized piece in the water of your dogs drinking bowl,replace with a fresh piece every three or four days,it increases the oxygen level in the water,and keeps the dog cooler. you can get it from any good pet shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Thats very cheap :eek:

It is, thats without the filter and pump though, although they have a 10ft one including those things for €59.99 but I don't think they have any in stock anywhere. That would be amazing for the dogs.

Tk123, do the dog's claws not puncture it?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

ISDW wrote: »
    It is, thats without the filter and pump though, although they have a 10ft one including those things for €59.99 but I don't think they have any in stock anywhere. That would be amazing for the dogs.

Blanchardstown, fontill, tallaght, galway and waterford have them apparantly :D

piperh wrote: »
    Blanchardstown, fontill, tallaght, galway and waterford have them apparantly :D

Ooh, we're going over to the east coast tomorrow to transport some dogs, and will be going right past blanchardstown:)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, wonder how the filter would cope with husky hair?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ISDW wrote: »

I got it so I could get an extra hydro session or two in at home and save time/ money ( a session is €25) so I hold him in place (ruffwear harness) as he swims. Its deep enough for him to be able to swim so works a treat. The top is inflatable so i had been putting a towel over where I lift him in and out to protect it from his claws but my dad built a ramp for it so it'll be easier to get him in and out.:) There's cheaper ones in argos but i wanted a brand I could look up online etc. The heater was around €80 which is important for hydro but not eally needed if's just to cool the dogs down. The same with the pump - you'd get away without one if the pool was for ocassional use just drain and refill then pool if it gets too dirty. The filter/heater only really comes into play if you're leaving the pool up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Whispered wrote: »
    When it's really really hot and we're not going out I'll make "pup-pops" (:o) cheese, meat, cooked vegies, tinned dog food, kibble - whatever you like really, in a lunch box with gravy or stock poured over, then frozen into a block of food. They love it.

What a good idea. I'll be making pup-pops for my lot tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

theghost wrote: »
    What a good idea. I'll be making pup-pops for my lot tomorrow :)
    gonna copy that but call em cool pups and say it was my idea:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I worry about my fella. Shih Tzu are short-nosed, and don't do well in the heat.

We walk him either early in the morning or late evening as the sun's going down. I always keep his water bottle in the car, and tend to buy bottles of water for him. He doesn't like water that's been in the bottle for a while, and prefers cold water instead....Fussy little git! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Also dont forget dogs dont perspire or sweet like we humans, to lose heat from their bodies they pant, this is why cold water is so effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Also dont forget dogs dont perspire or sweet like we humans, to lose heat from their bodies they pant, this is why cold water is so effective.

*Looks out at rain*

:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I have a medium sized spitz so she has the triple pomeranian coat. Really thick undercoat on thighs etc. A friend keeps telling me to get her hair all clipped off as it is cruel to keep such a thick coat on her in the summer.
    I love her hair and think that she would look really weird if she was clipped. I noticed a poster earlier said that we should not cut their hair. Would appreciate advice. She is black and always seems so hot. I always have water in the car for her and only take her on walks early morning or late evening.

annascott wrote: »
    I have a medium sized spitz so she has the triple pomeranian coat. Really thick undercoat on thighs etc. A friend keeps telling me to get her hair all clipped off as it is cruel to keep such a thick coat on her in the summer.
    I love her hair and think that she would look really weird if she was clipped. I noticed a poster earlier said that we should not cut their hair. Would appreciate advice. She is black and always seems so hot. I always have water in the car for her and only take her on walks early morning or late evening.

Double coated breeds actually cope okay with the heat, because of the double coat, it allows air in under the guard hairs which helps to keep them cool. If you cut their coat, it can actually impact on that, so that they are in more danger of overheating - as odd as that sounds. It can also then affect them in the colder weather, as they wouldn't have the protection they should have.

I have a wooly coated husky here, and I do clip his coat, but only around his legs and his bum, more to keep him clean than anything!

Advertisement