Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steering console and throttle cables

Options
  • 01-07-2011 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

just wondering is there a specific steering console and throttle cables need for a 15 honda 4 stroke outboard engine :cool: ??

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi DOT the steering cable should be ok but you might have to change the link from the cable to the motor.
    As for the throttle johnson and evinrude are the same but won't work with merc's and mariner. Suzuki -yamaha and honda are the same Your ends should look like this.

!B1KnM5!!Wk~$(KGrHqZ,!hYEw5P05ggIBMd(!9QP+g~~_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

hhmmm thanks there fergal but i was looking at the engine today an for the life of me i cannot suss where the hell all the leads go to..i will upload pics shortly to show ya..

also i was thinkin of using this steering system

675478.jpg

also was lookin at this but dunno

cc633_20.jpeg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yep your right with your throttle cable I think I posted the wrong one before. I prefer the rotary steering system but there is nothing wrong with the one you picked .:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

cool thanks but be sure i'll be back to ask more questions lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23 county5

Hi, iv a 20hp Honda and obviously the original cables that attached to a Suzuki engine won't fit. Could someone tell me what to look for and where? No point buying when I can't even get the name of the parts I need thanks. Ps it's a 97 engine

• Advertisement

county5 wrote: »
    Hi, iv a 20hp Honda and obviously the original cables that attached to a Suzuki engine won't fit. Could someone tell me what to look for and where? No point buying when I can't even get the name of the parts I need thanks. Ps it's a 97 engine

If your cables don't fit you can get an adapter kit from teleflex
    http://www.westmarine.com/buy/products/12834-cable-adapter-kits.html

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/TEL-CA27319P/3300+-+33C+Cable+Connection+Kits+by+Teleflex.html

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=teleflex+adapter+kit&_sacat=26443&_odkw=throttle+cable+outboard&_qfkw=1&_mqf=0&_osacat=26443

Thanks for the quick response, I should have said in my first post my Honda outboard has a tiller arm so I guess it's some kinda kit or conversion I need? I really don't know who to ask or where to start. Thanks

county5 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response, I should have said in my first post my Honda outboard has a tiller arm so I guess it's some kinda kit or conversion I need? I really don't know who to ask or where to start. Thanks

Yep thats what you need :Dhttp://www.youngsboatyard.co.uk/product/493/1478/Honda-BF15-_-BF20-D-Remote-Control-Conversion-Kit

Thanks so much, it's such a difference when some one knows what their on about! Cheers your a legend.

Hi fergal, I finally got that conversion kit came in about 30 pieces and not a single instruction, any idea where I could find them or even who could help me, thank you

• Advertisement

Some of the parts you may not need so this may be a bit tricky to do, it might be best to bring it to your local marine mechanic to fit it for you or else you will have to post photos of each part your not sure about and I will try and help, brake it down into sections like steering,throttle and gear shift.

Thank you very much feral for your offer but I wouldn't hassle you like that. As you said il surely find a marine mechanic that will be able figure it out, thank you.

No problem, I'm here most days so no hassle for me :D if you want to give a go. These might give you an idea of what it will look like.

Here you can see the bracket that holds the shift cable to the engine, on the shift leaver there will be a hole and you should have a part in your kit to fit this and the end of your cable.

attachment.php?attachmentid=45349&d=1267207950

This is the link arm that goes from the steering tube to the front of the engine there should be a hole in the handle to take the other end of the link arm.

attachment.php?attachmentid=45350&d=1267207962

attachment.php?attachmentid=45348&d=1267207933

Once again thank you fergal, my brother is a mechanic and decided to have a crack at installing the kit and with the aid of your picture he some how pieced it together. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

I had exactly the same problem.
    I bought a Honda 15hp tiller and wanted to convert to remotes.
    I bought a kit on ebay from the UK as I couldn't get a straight answer as to what was needed here.
    Basically 30 bits arrived with no instruction and it took about two hours to figure it out but when finished all worked well.

Advertisement