Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xipisan

Options
  • 01-07-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Too scared to post this in the nutrition/fitness forum :D but just wondering if anyone has tried Xipisan slimming pills and what they thought?

http://www.xipisan.co.uk/

They're those 'fat binding' pills so when used in conjuntion with a balanced diet are supposed to promote weight loss.....:confused: I used something similar before called Chitosan and I did lose weight, but i also used to smoke so had less of an appetite.

Thoughts ladies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Hmmmm....from what i can see on the site the main ingredient is Aspergillus Niger and i cannot find a single study that shows that this is effective for weight loss.

This means 2 things...either it is actually not effective or it hasn't really been studied for such a mechanism...so i am unsure how they would draw the conclusions that it IS effective.

Either way, i would have serious doubts about the effectiveness of these "fat binding" tablets anyway. From what i can tell they simply cause the binding of fat cells in the stomach...but I don't see what kind of impact this would have on the ability of the intestines to absorb fat.

It's cheaper, easier and far more effective to simple exercise some dietary discretion and keep an eye on the amount and types of fats that you are eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I am always sceptical of those pills.

A bit of healthy eating and a little exercise regime would do wonders. Popping pills to loose weight is not a healthy option in my opinion.

Have you tried the c25k? There is a thread for it in this forum....full of help guidance and a push in the right direction! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It sounds like a load of rubbish and potentially dangerous too

just eat well and exercise well and you'll be a lot better off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

If it's like other 'fat binding' type pills (orlistat/xenical) etc. they don't really speed up weightloss that much, as in you would want to be very overweight to notice a difference, and they do give you the uncontrollable squits. So no cream coloured trousers & make sure to pack spare pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I know all about exercise, don't worry ;) I'm just a runner out injured at the moment. I do eat healthy most of the time, I'm just not in a position to do any exercise at the moment so the weight is creeping up on me.
    So to maintain my weight when doing zero exercise I'd have to eat very little.
    I was never a one for starvation, so just checking a few things out.

Good feedback, thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

poconnor16 wrote: »
    I know all about exercise, don't worry ;) I'm just a runner out injured at the moment. I do eat healthy most of the time, I'm just not in a position to do any exercise at the moment so the weight is creeping up on me.
    So to maintain my weight when doing zero exercise I'd have to eat very little.
    I was never a one for starvation, so just checking a few things out.

Good feedback, thanks all

I'd say just trying to eat at base level and leave it at that. Part and parcel of enjoying a sport is the expectation of not being able to do it at times. Just eat right and when you get back out on the road any extra weight will fall off. :)

Hope your injury isn't too serious.

Oh I know what you are saying and thank you - I'm looking for the easy root I suppose. I'm not used to dieting, just eating normal and working my arse off to stay in shape. I've been out of action for a month, gained 7lbs...have to don a bikini this week for my hols and am having anxiety attacks. :)
    Oh to be a mad and just let it all hang out.....:cool:

The injury isn't too bad, its a hip that was out of place, took two vertabrae with it, locked up my back and threw my alignment out i.e. I have one leg shorter than the other. (C'mon you know you want to laugh). So no sport right now, might be able to progress to cycling soon....up to the physio!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That sounds painful :eek:

Can you swim?

That sounds painful :eek:

Can you swim?

No - I'm not much of a swimmer, so that would be a new exercise to my body which is not good. Most frustrating thing is not being able to go for a walk, which is great exercise.
    Hoping for cycling in two weeks, might try cycle to work (6 miles each way).

When you stop exercising, you feel so crappy. Even my mood has been a bit blaaaaa. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

poconnor16 wrote: »
    When you stop exercising, you feel so crappy. Even my mood has been a bit blaaaaa. :rolleyes:
    Trust me, I know - got injured after the Barcelona marathon myself, three and a half weeks of nothing and then a very slow build, ITBS sucks. Was just getting back to normal and then got sick, and missed another 3 weeks. :(

Was just asking about the swimming because it can be good exercise even when other stuff is out because it is zero-impact.

• Advertisement

Trust me, I know - got injured after the Barcelona marathon myself, three and a half weeks of nothing and then a very slow build, ITBS sucks. Was just getting back to normal and then got sick, and missed another 3 weeks. :(

Was just asking about the swimming because it can be good exercise even when other stuff is out because it is zero-impact.

Congrats on Barcelona!! I was hoping for the Cork to Cobh but now it looks like back to basics..maybe a 10k plan to build my base again. Might aim for the Clonakilty Half in December.:D

I just dont find I get as much endurance training from cycling, I'm not sure why.

Jeez, have really gone off topic here, this is turning into a fitness discussion!!!! Sorry guys :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1 agrochem

Thanks for the info guys. Yes, swimming is very good exercise, it can burn lots of calorie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

If you are too afraid to ask on the nutrition and fitness forum then I think you know that they are useless.

Losing weight is 80% diet.

Zombie thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement