Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship scheme offers 5,000 work placements to people on the dole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sala wrote: »
    So, if you own a hotel or restaurant you now can pocket the difference of the VAT reduction, hire new staff that you don't have to pay and soon not have to pay JLC rates for existing staff.... they must be delighted with themselves

It's a disgrace how FG/Labour are allowing those tossers to get away with this...you can bet your ass all the money saved will go into a private account and not into jobs like IBEC are bleating..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

So if you're under 25 you get €100 dole currently, so if you were to take an "internship" you'd be working 39 hours for 150 quid a week. €3.85 an hour to fit tyres or pump petrol. Who thought this up? And how much did business owners have to put in the brown envelope?

Anybody wanna learn how to be a janitor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    It's a disgrace how FG/SLAVE-Labour are allowing those tossers to get away with this...you can bet your ass all the money saved will go into a private account and not into jobs like IBEC are bleating..

Fixed that error in your post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

phasers wrote: »
    So if you're under 25 you get €100 dole currently, so if you were to take an "internship" you'd be working 39 hours for 150 quid a week. €3.85 an hour to fit tyres or pump petrol. Who thought this up? And how much did business owners have to put in the brown envelope?

Except the money is being paid out of your taxes rather then the employer who is getting a full working week from someone free.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

I'm not on the dole and need the experience, but can't have access to any of these internships because of the 'dole-only' requirement.

I thought internships were for recent graduates like me, not for people that graduated years ago. They don't need internships, they need jobs.

But FG/Labour aren't able to think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Lux23 wrote: »
    Except the money is being paid out of your taxes rather then the employer who is getting a full working week from someone free.

I'd rather my taxes go to someone for doing something rather than for doing nothing.
    phasers wrote:

Greenkeeper, and is there something wrong with being a greenkeeper? There's a decent living to be made for an experienced keeper on the right course. I have worked as a greenkeeper on golf courses and got to live and work abroad with it, earning fantastic money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

prinz wrote: »
    I'd rather my taxes go to someone for doing something rather than for doing nothing.

Greenkeeper, and is there something wrong with being a greenkeeper? There's a decent living to be made for an experienced keeper on the right course. I have worked as a greenkeeper on golf courses and got to live and work abroad with it, earning fantastic money.

I think possibly phasers meant this one

http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=8lpseRqcJ2kaQRDD6blSFVa1nDFDpD7JUb8m9E2iTvpCz6RawIzbmU0xKP7VmWlHkA6926gHN1TIHU9Us2y3zIUJmrPwfr56cqHmt1dYxR4iiiMfAhxMFNDtfCG4sx1GAJiYwx8Z0QpBR6bHZUhCJASOZsWZqZHkVPYzRwKFoDP6SRDeijEqh1PpgOUqfHjIJOnxV6TIOI8EkeRm46SFWFhTUSm3JQQdPhvU6wetOaEBNk1vqWwraEN6XskTPStc06zrd7Ww+eW1P6AoKC0he0fZUCQUe8TidtiBck2/LrEPu1tSfauMaZ+Svd3gYRGX9vrtBAe9HvY3AK7C6Xgo63dgE8pjj9JvWlcy5v92zhgwfZ7UmoqZvp1BTm6EvR7xYc+NuN8O9tUKq2dRgc/Bu6qxXqbBJGTqHdw5ogFc1BSvn8fAkIkETlUYablzx2l4CREFUxMwKnP6FLVaArjCGng8OqpR+QAH

Even at that. A cleaner/janitor, with the posssibility to learn teamwork, leadership, management skills. God forbid anyone take employment in that area. I suppose it would be better to have people sitting at home watching Jeremy Kyle.... as opposed to having a direction, getting out and about, meeting new people etc...

I'd have more respect for someone taking up that role, than some other 'highly educated professional' doing nothing.

Really. You like that big businesses are being given free labour out of your pocket, do you really not see the problem with that? If someone walked into your office and started doing your job for free, you would have no problem with that?

Earning money? Yes, that sounds great but whats the bet that someone will do that job for nine months and be let go and then they will just go and get someone else for free. Currently there is nothing stopping employers from doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

You are giving these companies a lot more credit than they are due. They are exploiting the "interns", despite what the minister said only a few days ago:
    Ms Burton said companies would be vetted and interns would not be exploited. The scheme administrator will have the right to review cases in the event of reports that existing employees are being displaced by interns. JobBridge will be administered by the employment services division of Fás, which is in the process of being transferred to the Department of Social Protection.

It's this type of one that gets to me. An internship as a Kitchen Porter? "The successful candidate will gain experience as a kitchen porter in busy kitchen environment". Kitchen porter is basically washing up and doing all the background work. Is that really opening up a big opportunity for the person? Or giving the hotel some free labour?
    Kitchen Porter

Please Note: This is an Internship. An allowance of €50 per week will be paid in addition to your current Social Welfare payment. Please check eligibility with FÁS

Description:
    The successful candidate wil lgain experience as a kitchen porter in busy kitchen environment.

• Advertisement

Really. You like that big businesses are being given free labour out of your pocket, do you really not see the problem with that? If someone walked into your office and started doing your job for free, you would have no problem with that?...

As an option for some people no I don't see a problem with it. Yes the absolutely the businesses should be contributing to the cost but at the same time the alternative is 5,000 on the dole getting money "out of my pocket" for doing nothing, getting no experience, no work references etc.
    Earning money? Yes, that sounds great but whats the bet that someone will do that job for nine months and be let go and then they will just go and get someone else for free. Currently there is nothing stopping employers from doing this.

Yes that's possible. What's the alternative.... stopping all contract work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Monica lewinsky tells me she is disappointed at the current internship availabilities.

Somehow sucking the dick of a kitchen supervisor just doesn't have the same romance.

It's this type of one that gets to me. An internship as a Kitchen Porter? "The successful candidate will gain experience as a kitchen porter in busy kitchen environment". Kitchen porter is basically washing up and doing all the background work. Is that really opening up a big opportunity for the person? Or giving the hotel some free labour?

Both. The employee has a job to go to, gains a few quid in the pocket every week, gets exposure to an industry they might never have considered before, gets a reference in that industry. Let's say a full time job comes up in the area, who is better off? The dole candidate who took the kitchen porter job or the candidate who didn't?

There seems to me to be an awful lot of snobbery with regard to jobs going hand in hand with concern about exploitation.

As an option for some people no I don't see a problem with it. Yes the absolutely the businesses should be contributing to the cost but at the same time the alternative is 5,000 on the dole getting money "out of my pocket" for doing nothing, getting no experience, no work references etc.

Eh they could pay them a decent wage from the start, its odd that you have such a problem with individuals leeching off the state but businesses. Don't understand that all.

I think for people you are think of a CE scheme is much more suitable and worthwhile, WPP and this jobbridge programme make it far too easy for employers to exploit people who like you say want to get out of employment and get back to work.

Both. The employee has a job to go to, gains a few quid in the pocket every week, gets exposure to an industry they might never have considered before, gets a reference in that industry. Let's say a full time job comes up in the area, who is better off? The dole candidate who took the kitchen porter job or the candidate who didn't?

There seems to me to be an awful lot of snobbery with regard to jobs going hand in hand with concern about exploitation.

It shouldn't be allowed for a low skilled job.

If the hotel is struggling and can't afford to pay someone, that's unfortunate for them, but they should have to do without a kitchen porter and get by.

On the other hand, if some of these companies can afford to take on a low skilled worker, fully paid, why in the name of god would they, when they can get them for half nothing?

Eh they could pay them a decent wage from the start, its odd that you have such a problem with individuals leeching off the state but businesses. Don't understand that all..

If they were paying decent wages from the start there wouldn't be so many on the Live Register to take up these internship places to begin with. By the by I don't have problems with people "leeching off the state" so to speak, but I'd still rather those people actually be doing something rather than doing nothing. I'd have no problems with the businesses contributing something on top of the SW.

Edit: Speaking for myself I'd rather take up one of these posts than stay at home bouncing off the walls, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

anyone doing these is still on the live register, as with the wpps.

March 2010 live register said the following:

Work Placement Programme (WPP) - this new employment support measure was introduced from the 1st August 2009 (participants are placed on a new 6 month Work Placement Programme). The scheme is administered by FAS, but participants continue to receive their existing social welfare entitlements from DSFA for their duration on the programme. Since participants on this scheme are engaged in employment they are excluded from the Live Register
    (From http://www.cso.ie)

I presume it is the case for the internship so the live register figures will fall?

If the hotel is struggling and can't afford to pay someone, that's unfortunate for them, but they should have to do without a kitchen porter and get by.

Meanwhile a potential for someone to get a foot in the door in the hospitality industry is lost.
    On the other hand, if some of these companies can afford to take on a low skilled worker, fully paid, why in the name of god would they, when they can get them for half nothing?

..and that's a valid concern and one which should be monitored closely with regard to the company's accounts etc.

Meanwhile a potential for someone to get a foot in the door in the hospitality industry is lost.

..and that's a valid concern and one which should be monitored closely with regard to the company's accounts etc.

But it won't be and it hasn't since the WPP scheme took off a couple of years ago.

But that's not realistic, to expect a companies accounts to be monitored for something like that. There seems to be a big take up with the internship programme. It is an awful lot to ask and not realistic.

The kitchen porter job should be a minimum wage job, or if it came under a programme like this, the company should have to pay the vast majority of the welfare.

I think the idea of the programme is brilliant. I agree that it is excellent for some people to get experience rather than sit at home. I know one person who is right in the heart of a marketing department in a big company (on the other programme) and delighted to have something to go to, even though she's not being paid. She doesn't believe the company is exploiting anyone.

• Advertisement

Really. You like that big businesses are being given free labour out of your pocket, do you really not see the problem with that? If someone walked into your office and started doing your job for free, you would have no problem with that?

alot of these jobs dont need experience they only need a few days orientation
    some jobs i did as a teenager are up as "internships"

Many many examples of companies ripping the piss out of this scheme and many many jobs must be being displaced your head is in the clouds if you cant see this

And its worse than your taxes paying for it - the money taken from the pension levy is paying for this manure

Your also forgetting that many on the dole paid pay related social INSURANCE
    Work for your dole schemes are fine if its for the government - those who pay out the welfare

Its not ok for private businesses to get employees for free - one business is advertising 20 positions and hertz are trying to replace the minibus driver under this scheme

who needs a 9 month internship to learn how to drive a minibus?

People are on the dole because there are no jobs this initiative is going to reduce the number of jobs especially entry level jobs

Looking to be paid for a job isnt snobbery

I think the idea of the programme is brilliant. I agree that it is excellent for some people to get experience rather than sit at home..

So how would you like to see it run? Other than the business contributing something towards the wages which I agreed should happen.

Looking to be paid for a job isnt snobbery

Looking down on people for wanting a job in some of the sectors is.

So how would you like to see it run? Other than the business contributing something towards the wages which I agreed should happen.

Like I said over the past few posts, some aspects are great but there is a massive amount of extracting the urine going on.

Looking down on people for wanting a job in some of the sectors is.

I have yet to see any of these internship ads say they will hire you if your internship is successful

Its job displacement if you cant see it there is something wrong

I have yet to see any of these internship ads say they will hire you if your internship is successful.Its job displacement if you cant see it there is something wrong

Well done, completely irrelevant to what I said, but keep going anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Emailed local TD to highlight my concerns about this program being open to abuse and linked in several jobs highlighted by people on this thread. Also made the point of the jobs being low skilled and menial in a lot of cases. Here's my response.
    Thanks for taking the time to email me on this.
    Are you looking at the JobBridge website?
    http://intern.jobbridge.ie/
    I have directed a lot of constituents to this site and I know many of them have applied for internships.
    There would seem to be a huge variety of work placements available on this site from marketing to IT, HR to TV production and a number of admin/clerical roles.
    I understand your concerns regarding employers using this scheme to get work done but the aim of this scheme is two-fold. It is there to provide people currently out of work with business contacts, references and most importantly experience and practical skills. JobBridge also provides support for businesses. I am sure you will find this is the case with most internships - the company needs to benefit from taking on an intern in order to make it worth their while to invest their time and training in them. We had to bear this in mind when putting together this scheme as the only way it will be successful is if companies sign up to it.
    I hope that you will consider recommending this scheme to anyone you know who has found themselves out of work.

I don't think the TD took the time to look at the links...

• Advertisement

alot of these jobs dont need experience they only need a few days orientation
    some jobs i did as a teenager are up as "internships"

Many many examples of companies ripping the piss out of this scheme and many many jobs must be being displaced your head is in the clouds if you cant see this

And its worse than your taxes paying for it - the money taken from the pension levy is paying for this manure

Oi I am on your side!! :D

Advertisement