Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 'I predict a Riot' game!!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    However the July ULA march could turn nasty if certain groups infultrate their march.

Groups such as the ULA?

I'm all for protesting. It's a great way to show your displeasure on an issue and to raise awareness amongst people who might not otherwise have taken notice. However looting, overturning cars and setting fire to things is mindless destruction for its own sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

20/12/2012 Why..? Because the date is cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I hope it never comes to rioting. Having seen the scenes in Athens I wasn't thinking "Good on you. Stick it to the man". Instead I was thinking "You fúcking idiots".

Let's fix things.
    How?
    Duh. By breaking stuff and looting. That'll learn 'em.

I'm sure the money it costs to clean up the damage could have been put to much better use...

....But for the purposes of the game I'll go for May 12th 2012. May seems like a rioty kinda month....
    DECEMBER 11TH
    which also happens to be my birthday, but you don't need to know that......

Heh, that's my birthday too! *high-five* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I predict a riot...

...in my household if I turned off the wireless broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Am loving the polarized outlook Knifey :D
    Dude no, just no Man - rioting is like bad and stuff......
    May seems rioty - Yee Haw!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I'm better at Monopoly tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

We can't organise mass peaceful protests nevermind a full scale riot.

We should all hold our breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Heh, that's my birthday too! *high-five* :pac:

*high-five*

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Groups such as the ULA?

I'm all for protesting. It's a great way to show your displeasure on an issue and to raise awareness amongst people who might not otherwise have taken notice. However looting, overturning cars and setting fire to things is mindless destruction for its own sake.

No I don't think too many of the United Left Alliance will loot or the likes. I think however some groups might march peacefully and then start more violent protest like what happened in Greece yesterday, the vast majority were peaceful however it only takes a few to kick off something serious and some other easily influeneced people will join in and bam you have something simular to the student march a few months ago, however it could get worse than that.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    No I don't think too many of the United Left Alliance will loot or the likes. I think however some groups might march peacefully and then start more violent protest like what happened in Greece yesterday, the vast majority were peaceful however it only takes a few to kick off something serious and some other easily influeneced people will join in and bam you have something simular to the student march a few months ago, however it could get worse than that.

I was joking about the fact that the SWP, who make up quit ea few numbers in the ULA, have a habit of hijacking protests for their own ends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

RedXIV wrote: »
    Feb 30th 2012

Ooooh nice date! Wish I picked that one.... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Potato Man Donut Version 4.0

Irish people will never riot like in Greece. It took nearly 700 Hundred years before we got the stomach to stand up to the British, all we did before that was write wonderful poems and talk about it and even then when we we did go a bit nuts we didnt even get all of our country back. The only people who will profit from the recession is gloomy writers who in the good old days would have been called poets but I think they go by the term 'economists' today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Did I not just read a thread that said Ireland has the 3rd highest standard of living in Europe?

Times are tough, I tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I was joking about the fact that the SWP, who make up quit ea few numbers in the ULA, have a habit of hijacking protests for their own ends.

Doesn't every party or politician do this? Not necessarily protests, but causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I'll come to the riot if you can tell me which parts of our imperfect-but-functioning democracy, with its religious and social freedoms, accessible education, imperfect but available healthcare and social welfare, we are going to be rioting about and how the destruction of property or people and the associated costs and consequences will improve those things. Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

why are we rioting? We still have it pretty damn good in this country, despite what you may have read

Doesn't every party or politician do this? Not necessarily protests, but causes.

Yeah. But the SWP are pros at the protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

rumour has theres gonna be a cutback on pitchforks.......you can have either a pitch or a fork.....

I'll come to the riot if ......

Kevin you are so, so very far from the point of this thread :D

Raiser wrote: »
    Kevin you are so, so very far from the point of this thread :D

So, no answer to the question then. Ok, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

In fairness, the thread is not 'let's have a riot' or 'here's why we should have a riot' or 'debate: riots - for or against?' It's just predicting a date ffs - fun and games and all tha'... Some people have no sense of humour whatsoever :rolleyes:

beegirl wrote: »
    In fairness, the thread is not 'let's have a riot' or 'here's why we should have a riot' or 'debate: riots - for or against?' It's just predicting a date ffs - fun and games and all tha'... Some people have no sense of humour whatsoever :rolleyes:

I'll assume that's aimed at my post, shall I? If so, the thread title is about predicting the date, but the OP included his theory on why riots will happen, so the likliehood and merits are up for debate.

And putting this :rolleyes: in your post doesn't add weight. Use words if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

I'll assume that's aimed at my post, shall I? If so, the thread title is about predicting the date, but the OP included his theory on why riots will happen, so the likliehood and merits are up for debate.

And putting this :rolleyes: in your post doesn't add weight. Use words if you can.

Ok (sarcasm face).

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wish I'd started this thread on boards.co.uk now :(

- I still think the Irish equivalent of the UK Riots is due......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Raiser wrote: »
    I wish I'd started this thread on boards.co.uk now :(

- I still think the Irish equivalent of the UK Riots is due......

I hope not

What is the point of rioting I think not rioting has stood for us, things are starting to turn, confidence in Ireland is starting to return, our ability to peacefully take public austerity has and will stand for us.

Look at what happened in Greece rioting has made a bad situation much worse. Because of the riots there the Greek government is nearly impotent and that country is rapidly becoming an non-functional like some of the south American states.

Advertisement