Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Wardens giving tickets out at start of school

Options
  • 28-06-2011 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

There were 2 traffic wardens going around Scoil Mochua in Celbridge at 8.50 this morning. They were dishing out tickets like they were on commission.

Anyone else see this at other schools.

Although they are technically right, its a bit of a joke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

8.45 - 9.15 is the worst time for traffic because so many parents park illegaly and don't have any concern for other motorists.

Hence traffic wardens are out trying to improve the traffic flow near schools.

Plenty of parking nearby - a 100 metre walk from the car is healthy for both parent and child.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Celbridge Life

The parking on the double yellow lines causes mayhem for local residents trying to get in and out of their estates, not to mention the risk it poses for the school children themselves. This has been a long time coming, why parents don't (and never have) parked on the other side of the road where there are no double yellow lines is a mystery. The local residents association were approached by councillors and KCC regarding this and, credit where credit is due, they said that first and foremost they didn't want the entrances to their estates blocked. There have been instances when an ambulance couldn't get down one road as cars had parked on both sides. They then stated that people who park there should be simply warned initially, before getting ticketed to find somewhere else to park. I think that's fair isn't it? Perhaps people who park there aren't aware of the serious risk they're creating for the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

i drive a bin lorry around celbridge on fridays, its an absolute joke trying to get up that road around school time, parents just dump the car where ever is handy for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

maxer68 wrote: »
    8.45 - 9.15 is the worst time for traffic because so many parents park illegaly and don't have any concern for other motorists.
    I think you'll find it's because the traffic warden stops the traffic every minute to allow the kids to cross the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Possibly somebody and it could have been the school complained.
    Some parents would drive right into the classroom if they could, god forbid their child has to walk a few hundred metres.

It causes congestion and is dangerous too, while there might be a lollipop lady, if the entrance is surrounded by SUV's, even adults can struggle to see around them so the child and the driver cannot see each other.

If people park correctly, no ticket :) You just need to go 100 or 200 metres back from everyone else

Good work KCC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Peppa Pig wrote: »

Not really, even those who insist on driving their kids the 500 metres to school shouldn't have to 'park', just pull up and let them out.
    I think you'll find it's because the traffic warden stops the traffic every minute to allow the kids to cross the road.

I find it's the cars parked on both sides of the road, meaning only one car can get by, that slow everything down. The crossing guard there isn't too bad. He's usually pretty quick and doesn't cause much of a jam.

Now I usually just go around by Tescos as its quicker most times.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

This is one of my pet hates.
    Why parents cannot walk their kids to school is beyond me. They make the village impassible during these times.
    I made my child walk to school hail, rain or snow. These days, it's the only exercise most kids get.
    Well done to the traffic wardens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

its a bit of a joke

how?

illegal parking, causing issues for other motorists is no joke. what if someones child is hurt while playing before school and needs to be rushed to the hospital? if it turns out that they are impeded by poorly parked cars, there would be uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Really wish they'd done this at the start of the school term and not 2 days before the school closes for the Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭babsybaby01

Maybe it was to get some last ditch easy money in before schools close up today??In navan they are just as concerened about getting people for no tax as for parking tickets...although navan have gone from 2 wardens down to 1 because of budget issues..maybe the ones in del ridge are trying to keep their jobs??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

There were 2 traffic wardens going around Scoil Mochua in Celbridge at 8.50 this morning. They were dishing out tickets like they were on commission.

Anyone else see this at other schools.

I actually wish traffic wardens further afield would follow their lead. Virtually any urban area in the country seems to experience traffic problems in the vicinity of schools around the times that they open and close. Lo and behold, when you get to the obstruction, 9 times out of 10 it is either caused or exacerbated by illegal parking by a parent, or multitude of parents. In the morning, it coincides with increased traffic anyway, as some people are travelling to work, and in the afternoon parents tend to park up and just wait for their children, oblivious of the traffic chaos going on around them.

Personally I'd love to see some sort of one way system on a narrow road brought in at the front of schools, so that it would be impossible for parents to park/stop like this, but unfortunately there are likely some who would still stop and block up the middle of the road regardless of those around them!

As already pointed out, in many cases there is perfectly adequate parking a short walk away, but it is just ignored with a significant "mé féin" attitude. I'd echo Jayd0g's sentiments that the timing is a shame though, because come September it will be forgotten, and it's going to cease to be an issue in a few days until then anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'm glad they are doing this, that road is a nightmare in the mornings.

Ignorant parents, that's all it is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well done Kildare Co. Co.
    If it continues in September, get some tow trucks in!

snubbleste wrote: »
    Well done Kildare Co. Co.
    If it continues in September, get some tow trucks in!

Imagine the uproar if they started clamping....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

A note should go home with every child that more of the same will be happening from the first day back after the holidays.

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    A note should go home with every child that more of the same will be happening from the first day back after the holidays.

If it was the school that complained about the illegal parking (which I doubt), they'd be better off staying out of it. Would you want to deal with all the complaints from parents?

In my opinion, in this matter there's 2 main parties. The people parking illegally and the traffic wardens. Let the people receiving fines complain to the traffic wardens instead of to the school.

It'd be great to see this happen again in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

It wasnt the school that complained it was the people in the estate !!! and it doesnt affect them they just want something to moan about.The school was there before most of them moved in.Car park is too small up there.The warden said he is going to try get rid of the double yellow lines?what then?Some "man" with obviously very little to do sits in his window taking photos of the cars every day?????Youd think having children he would be busy??,Today there were two men out from KCC and there he was with his face pressed up against the glass in his front door having a nose.I know a few people in that estate and all they do is give out about traffic,kids,flowers been broken,playground,how the young generation need a few slaps??????come on people seriously !!!!

just to add,I walk to school unless its lashing in which case I leave earlier to park where Im supposed to :)

boxerly wrote: »
    It wasnt the school that complained it was the people in the estate !!! and it doesnt affect them they just want something to moan about.The school was there before most of them moved in.Car park is too small up there.The warden said he is going to try get rid of the double yellow lines?what then?Some "man" with obviously very little to do sits in his window taking photos of the cars every day?????Youd think having children he would be busy??,Today there were two men out from KCC and there he was with his face pressed up against the glass in his front door having a nose.I know a few people in that estate and all they do is give out about traffic,kids,flowers been broken,playground,how the young generation need a few slaps??????come on people seriously !!!!

Yes it does, and no they're not

This is not a case of "The school was there first"

That is one of the stupidest Posts I've ever heard

Do you know them???? cause I do and alot of other people who know them will say exactly the same thing.Theres a few people even on their road who will say it and who have also said it to moi !

• Advertisement

Yes I do know them, and I am one of them.

You're now saying i'ts only a few people who complain for the sake of it?

That's obvious about everything!

Are you honestly arguing that the residents of the estate are at fault here and not the muppets who cannot park?

People in that estate even give out if ye drive in to collect your child from playschool (in that estate) ???I know a woman who had a very very sick child and it was lashing out and she was heavily pregnant so she parked outside the playschool and there were complaints made ??Yes the parking at the school is terrible and as for the idiots who park accross the paths ?The warden said hes been there for 2 weeks ?Why wasnt something said to them? or the ones who reverse out where the kids are crossing?? The whole system up there is a joke.The residents of that estate arent angels either !!Myself and my kids have nearly been hit by one or two residents flying around the corner and look at ye as if to say "its my road",others have said it aswell.There is also a drug dealer in that estate who deals at the school ?but yet were told "ah hes a great lad he helps with the clean up days"His costumers fly up and down the road off their heads?Yes guards were told !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Its the same here in Sallins. The fat lazy parents not only park on the double yellows, they mount the curb and block pedestrians against a wall as well. Parents with buggy's then have to use the road to walk with babies on board.

Is it any wonder obesity is such a problem now.

I would love for the traffic wardens to invade and 2 and 3 pm any school day. It would certainly stop me forcing my buggy into the hole .

There is not enough parking at the one in Celbridge and as a result they park where they can,If they park on yellow lines I really couldnt care less :)but I hate seeing them park accross the front of the car park so nobody can get in or out or when they park their cars on the paths and mothers with buggies have to go onto the road.There is talk of the yellow lines been taken out?so the cars will still park in the same place just without the lines :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Alot of those kids live local why can't they just walk! I think traffic warden was right and fair play. Sick of people parking and especially people mounting the kerb and forcing me to push my buggy out onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

folan wrote: »
    how?

illegal parking, causing issues for other motorists is no joke. what if someones child is hurt while playing before school and needs to be rushed to the hospital? if it turns out that they are impeded by poorly parked cars, there would be uproar.

I can imagine Joe Duffys phonelines going into melt down. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Celbridge Life

boxerly wrote: »

just to add,I walk to school unless its lashing in which case I leave earlier to park where Im supposed to :)

This only became a serious issue for residents when an ambulance could not gain access to the estate. The residents association were asked to produce images of the dangers imposed at the entrance to the estate. The residents pleaded with the council to NOT issue tickets straight away but to simply spend two weeks warning drivers that they were about to start enforcing the double yellow lines. As the residents know some of the people who park there they were trying to be as fair as possible. Whilst it's fair to be annoyed at suddenly being moved on after years of parking there you can't blame local residents for wanting the best for the area and being concerned about the risks caused by traffic to schoolchildren.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

What I found very ironic was that the 2 parking wardens had parked in Thornhill gardens, at the front of the estate, contributing to the traffic issue. Maybe they should walk while doing their job....

Anyway, we all have an 8 week break now :D

• Advertisement

But where the yellow lines are cause no more trouble than parking on the other side of the road?(obviously apart from the corners)I know of 3 people in that estate who are delighted with the tickets and who have wanted them dished out.A warning should have been given out first.They couldnt get any one yesterday for yellow lines so they started checking discs hahahaha,a girl at the school bought a new car a few weeks ago and was parked where allowed and they try to do her?she explained she was waiting for it as she only has the car a few weeks,embarresed the hell out of the poor girl.There are going ons in that estate that are far worse than yellow lines I can tell ye :)Anyway schools out for summer so theyll be back calling on mammies complaing that their child stood on a flower.Pity one or two of them wouldnt pick up their dogs poo that is all over the green where our school kids had to do sports day!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement