Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mastodon song (and video!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Great album. I'm now struggling to choose my favourite Mastodon album. It used to be Blood Mountain. They're all good in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

I wish they'd thrown in Deathbound as a bonus track. Does anybody know if it was made available as a single, or just streamed on Adult Swim?
    It's a bonus track on the special edition, so you could get that (or just rip it from youtube and save 50 quid;))

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I've had The Curl of the Burl stuck in my head for days now... I must get a proper listen to the rest of the album :D

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Further listening has only solidified this as being one of their best efforts. It sounds like all of their previous records in parts whilst also advancing them further on.

I don't think they'll be able to pull the vocals off live, but I hope I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Richy06 wrote: »
    Further listening has only solidified this as being one of their best efforts. It sounds like all of their previous records in parts whilst also advancing them further on.

I don't think they'll be able to pull the vocals off live, but I hope I'm wrong.

After their dismal display supporting Metallica in Marlay Park (last year?), I'm sure they wont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

chin_grin wrote: »
    After their dismal display supporting Metallica in Marlay Park (last year?), I'm sure they wont.

Woeful wasn't it all that happened was a loud noise, the sound was all messed up.
    Still love Mastodon though

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I've seen them a good 5 or 6 times. Most of these were at bigger festival type gigs where their sound was pants. Saw them once in the Ambassador where they had their own rig and they sounded fantastic. So who knows. Metallica were ****in woeful that day too. Although all were outshined by Alice In Chains that day I thought.

pdbhp wrote: »
    Woeful wasn't it all that happened was a loud noise, the sound was all messed up.
    Still love Mastodon though
    Richy06 wrote: »
    I've seen them a good 5 or 6 times. Most of these were at bigger festival type gigs where their sound was pants. Saw them once in the Ambassador where they had their own rig and they sounded fantastic. So who knows. Metallica were ****in woeful that day too. Although all were outshined by Alice In Chains that day I thought.

True, think they're better suited to a much smaller venue. They didn't even interact, all I remember is them coming on doing their sh!t (see I don't like the Crack the Skye album) and leaving. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

True, think they're better suited to a much smaller venue. They didn't even interact, all I remember is them coming on doing their sh!t (see I don't like the Crack the Skye album) and leaving. Terrible.

Better than licking the crowds arse though, which I remember Ax7 doing that day. So what if they just let the music do the talking for them. I would much prefer that than having to listen to a band who has to tell us after every song what a great crowd we are and how much they love Ireland or Guiness or any of that carry on.

As for the ablum itself, not really sure what to think of it. Needs time to sink in I think. A real mix of some of their old stuff, but progressed in some aspects.

Got a good laugh off the DVD and the octupus that Brent "befriended" during the making of the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

A real grower of an album as expected,one of the only metal bands around that can continue to surprise me with what musical depths they can undertake.

Listened to it about 3 times.At the moment I like what I hear although I feel like some of the melodies are a little simplified (compared to that beast of a track "The Last Baron" from CTS) to my taste but I like what direction they've took towards getting this far.Octopus,Sparrow,Hunter and Creature Lives are all quality songs.

Love to see these guys again if they do come to Dublin on their next European tour.I agree with most of the posters that the Marley show was a letdown (although my biggest complaint was how unenthused the crowd were) I really hope they do something about their sound set up.Vocals should be....interesting.Saying that,their show in Vicar back in 2008 was such a great time.Pulled it off despite Bill Kelliher not being there due to almost ripping off his finger.Plus they got Brent's side project Fiend Without A Face to support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Downloaded the album last week, bought it today. What an effort. Love that you can track the development of their sound through each album.

I love the new vocals on the last two records, they have really added something to the songs. I've listened to the album a good few times through now, not a bad song on it.

The BBC says it best!

"They might be bonkers of lyric, full of fantasy mumbo jumbo, but the band is unashamedly committed to its complex-of-composition craft, and the results have frequently stunned ever since their 2002 debut, Remission. They are the most ambitious, most fearless, most fun heavy metal band to have breached the mainstream since the genre oozed its way out of the Midlands in the 1970s."

Better than licking the crowds arse though, which I remember Ax7 doing that day. So what if they just let the music do the talking for them. I would much prefer that than having to listen to a band who has to tell us after every song what a great crowd we are and how much they love Ireland or Guiness or any of that carry on.

As for the ablum itself, not really sure what to think of it. Needs time to sink in I think. A real mix of some of their old stuff, but progressed in some aspects.

Got a good laugh off the DVD and the octupus that Brent "befriended" during the making of the album.

Nah, I didn't mean they should do that. Just a "hey we're Mastodon" or "thanks" would've sufficed. It felt a little pretentious (which is what I think Crack and parts of the new album are).

There are a few tunes on the new one where I immediately skip. Although I have listened to it all the way through a few times just in case it was me in the "all new albums are sh!t" mood. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

i only ever thought brents "clean" vocals was the only part of the singin that wasn't up to much live , troy has evolved into a far superior live singer , live at the aragon emphasised it to me anyhow

Right so I gave this another spin last night and have come to this conclusion.

This is what the album sounds like to me.

A f*ck ton of drum rolls. And ridiculously stupid lyrics. Unnecessary drum rolls, paradiddles, double stroke rolls and all other manner of unbelievable noise.......and lyrics that I know make no sense or are too childish. Wow a nice little ditty about a monster going back to its swamp because nobody loves it? I don't give a rats hole if that's supposed to be some deep metaphor, if it is it's pretentious.

I swear though, if I heard another going-down-the-toms roll, I would've hat a f*ckin' fit.

He's a brilliant drummer too! That's what gets me.

The only saving grace is that they put their best two songs first knowing that the rest of the album is "not that great".

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭soyawhatsup

A f*ck ton of drum rolls. And ridiculously stupid lyrics. Unnecessary drum rolls, paradiddles, double stroke rolls and all other manner of unbelievable noise.......and lyrics that I know make no sense or are too childish. Wow a nice little ditty about a monster going back to its swamp because nobody loves it? I don't give a rats hole if that's supposed to be some deep metaphor, if it is it's pretentious.

I swear though, if I heard another going-down-the-toms roll, I would've hat a f*ckin' fit.

He's a brilliant drummer too! That's what gets me.

The only saving grace is that they put their best two songs first knowing that the rest of the album is "not that great".

Lies.

Your opinion.

FYP :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

A f*ck ton of drum rolls.

Every Mastodon album is like that though??? I think it's very proggy, and think some of the songs near the end of the album are the best. I don't really care for lyrics, I just want the riffs to be honest. A lot of metal lyrics are childish anyways...........

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Giving this a listen. Not sure what to make of it really. Haven't listened to Mastodon since Levithian (sp?)

I remember liking Mastodon a little bit but not really digging this album at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

Been listening to it a lot. Fantastic album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Liking this album a lot so far, Love the production drums sound great and the guitar tones are killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

the bonus A/R stuff , is that plug in your web cam and take a pic with the hunter as your face ? bit **** if thats what all the fuss is to be honest . "the makin of" bit is pretty crap too compared to the last few albums, only a couple of minutes wit a few studio clips. album itself is a grower though , but the creature lives song is one to forget

• Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great album, bar maybe two tracks at most.

UK tour announced, hope for an Irish show.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Mushy wrote: »
    Great album, bar maybe two tracks at most.

UK tour announced, hope for an Irish show.
    Jaysus I hope so. I'd be there faster than you could say "the octopus has no friends".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I'm praying for an Irish date.

If we don't get one I might look into going to the London date...studying for my final exams be fucked, I gotta see Mastodon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Be nice to get an Irish date, hopefully in a good place for sound so they don't sound like heavy machinery like last time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Just a heads up, Mastodon will be on Jools Holland this Friday night.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

seachto7 wrote: »
    Just a heads up, Mastodon will be on Jools Holland this Friday night.....
    And tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

they played Black Tongue on Jools, sounded pretty good. Nice picture of RR on the bass drum. Power and Fury. The new album may have it's detractors, but the band is very special, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

To the lads hoping for an Irish show, H on MetalIreland (the man behind Dublin Metal Events) has said that they wont be playing here as part of that tour but there is a possibility of them playing later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Advertisement