Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** 2011/2012 student grant form is NOW available!! ***

Options
  • 28-06-2011 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

The student grant form is out now. You can download it now from www.studentfinance.ie or pick it up from your local county council or VEC. Be sure to have all of your documents ready before you send it off! :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

can you tick more than one box for what type of course you want to do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ive stickied this thread and re-named it to help people notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ted.

just looked over the form.. im in trouble, i dont have a CAO number.. problem??

They're taking online applications now? Wow, that's some development. Of course, it should have happened years ago but it's still great.

they took online apps for last year too, but only 6 vec's offered the ability.

this year, its excellent. nearly all of them have the online ability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobdole968

is the galway vec missing online or do i have to send it in the post

if its not listed as available for online application, then you need to apply via the downloadable form, or call into the local vec and pick up one of the forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 VeronicaMoon

Does the title of 'Reckonable income' mean you have to be exact in your parents/guardians gross 2010 income? Or do they look into it exactly if they think you deserve one, because it is very difficult for me to get an exact figure???

they will need proof of income, so yeah you need to be accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 VeronicaMoon

they will need proof of income, so yeah you need to be accurate.

I have what I can make out from profit and loss accounts given to me by the accountant but I am not totally 100% sure if what I have calculated is correct but it wouldnt be far off. I can still show them the accounts but they might get a slightly different figure :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Silly question but I have mine filled out in blue pen.. The thing says black (saw afterwards) do I need to fill out a new one?

no. dont worry about the blue pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JessicaClare

It says you should apply to your Vocational Education Committee for PLCs or your local authority if you're going to a university but I don't know yet, if I don't get my points for my course in NCI i'll be doing a PLC. Does this mean i apply to both then send my course acceptance form to whatever one I choose?

yeah it would probably suit your best interest to apply to both. just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 PadraicEgan

ive stickied this thread and re-named it to help people notice it.
    ok thanks...what does it mean though? :P

i changed the name so people can notice it easier, and sticky threads stay on top above all other threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Anyone know what documents I can use to prove I was in the countries 3 of the last 5 years ? I've been in the college the last year and was unemployed the previous 2 years so I dont have any payslips. Some of the questions they ask are head wrecking

utility bills are the most common and a rent book

• Registered Users Posts: 47 saintNsinnerr

dear Mod,
    just a quick question to U ,as U are most experienced here.
    i got grant last year , and I will be doing my last year starting from Sept`11 , do I have to fill in same BIG application form ,or is it different for the folks who got grant in teh first/second year as well?
    thanks.
    saint,

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Quibbler

I'm away at the moment and so don't have time to go through all of the forms and guidelines, but can anyone tell me if any of the rules have changed this year, or is it the same as last year?
    If you could qualify last year then will you qualify this year? I was just a bit worried they might change the rules like they did with the 3 year rule last year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tasker

my daughter has applied to a mix of uni's and I.T.'s, does this mean we have to apply for grants from both VEC and County council? This strikes me as potentially fraudulent....also, they can't both have the original documentation (further complicated by the fact that an application is also being made for her twin) Help!

dear Mod,
    just a quick question to U ,as U are most experienced here.
    i got grant last year , and I will be doing my last year starting from Sept`11 , do I have to fill in same BIG application form ,or is it different for the folks who got grant in teh first/second year as well?
    thanks.
    saint,

no, you dont need to fill out the entire application. there is a repeat application form available from your local VEC, which just involves you providing your recent results and a form saying you are continuing your studies in september this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noobsaibot21

Hi All,

Can anybody advise me on what documents I will need for the following questions:
    • A5 - Can I presume this is a Birth Cert?
    • B2 - Presume this is a copy of my passport.
    • B4 - I'm living at home and have no rent or utility bills. How else would I prove I have been here?
    • F1 - Can I assume this is a P45 or P60?
    • F3 - Parents got a state pension. What docs would I need to send?

The form gives a blue apostrophe beside certain questions and refers to "guidance notes" which I simply can't find anywhere. Does anyone have a link?
    Also, this may sound stupid but question F16..... What does reckonable mean? If I remove that word, the question is quite straight forward. Does that word change the meaning of the question in any way? Again, I might just be reading too much into it but I just don't want them posting it all back if it's wrong. :o

Thanks in advance,
    Noobsaibot21

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Hi All,

Can anybody advise me on what documents I will need for the following questions:
    • A5 - Can I presume this is a Birth Cert?
    • B2 - Presume this is a copy of my passport.
    • B4 - I'm living at home and have no rent or utility bills. How else would I prove I have been here?
    • F1 - Can I assume this is a P45 or P60?
    • F3 - Parents got a state pension. What docs would I need to send?

The form gives a blue apostrophe beside certain questions and refers to "guidance notes" which I simply can't find anywhere. Does anyone have a link?
    Also, this may sound stupid but question F16..... What does reckonable mean? If I remove that word, the question is quite straight forward. Does that word change the meaning of the question in any way? Again, I might just be reading too much into it but I just don't want them posting it all back if it's wrong. :o

Thanks in advance,
    Noobsaibot21

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Guidance%20Notes.pdf

This will help you with the forms. For B4, you can get a letter from your school saying you have attended for X years, although your school is probably closed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noobsaibot21

Cheers mate. Could all be in vain though as it's difficult to tell if DBS applicants are eligible for student grants (DBS says yes, other sources say no, studentfinance doesn't say clearly at all?)

Funny how the act of applying for colleges and grants is a course in itself. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Can you reapply online or do you have to pick up a form at the grant office?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

for the birth cert can you send a photocopy instead of the original ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sparkie93 wrote: »
    for the birth cert can you send a photocopy instead of the original ?

No - they insist on original

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Cheers mate. Could all be in vain though as it's difficult to tell if DBS applicants are eligible for student grants (DBS says yes, other sources say no, studentfinance doesn't say clearly at all?)

Funny how the act of applying for colleges and grants is a course in itself. :confused:

DBS isn't on the list of approved institutions

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Support%20Regulations%202011.pdf

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tasker

tasker wrote: »
    my daughter has applied to a mix of uni's and I.T.'s, does this mean we have to apply for grants from both VEC and County council? This strikes me as potentially fraudulent....also, they can't both have the original documentation (further complicated by the fact that an application is also being made for her twin) Help!
    for anyone else out there with same situation,I just received this reply from Kildare C.C. "You can just apply to Kildare County Council, and if the course your daughter is pursuing is covered by the VEC and not us then we will forward her application to them for processing." Seems sensible

Advertisement