Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last week before Ring of Kerry 2011 cycle & whos taking part thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

I'll be doing my 2nd ROK. Haven't done much cycling in the last three months but sure I'll just tip away at my ease and enjoy the day out.
    @ bikenut most of the cyclist were well behaved last year and gave plenty of room when passing slower cyclist. An early start might be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

bikenut wrote: »
    There's a lot of comments in last years thread about dangerous cycling - my wife is new to cycling and wouldn't be the most confident with kamikazes whizzing past at close range at 55kph plus. She'd be well able to manage the distance/hills etc but the last thing I want to do is turn her off cycling or sportives...any advice?... wait until the Tour of Meath?

The ROK is beginning to become a victim of its own success. There used to be an official start but numbers became so big, that this was deemed unsafe and scrapped. Now, you register and head off in your own time.

With numbers of 4000-5000 expected, there will be a huge range of abilities there and despite efforts by the organisers to get the clubs/groups to start at 6am, there will inevitably be fast groups heading off later than that.

It can become dangerous when a fast group tries to pass a slower group or individuals who don't see the fast group coming but as long as she realises this heading out, she should be fine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ah yeah

doing ROK for the first time this year. Looking for some advice re nutrition/clothing etc.

I was thinking of bringing a light backpack, with food, rainjacket, spare tubes etc. Would be this be too cumbersome to carry over the whole day?

I think the two official food stops won't be enough and I'll be starving!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ah yeah wrote: »
    doing ROK for the first time this year. Looking for some advice re nutrition/clothing etc.

I was thinking of bringing a light backpack, with food, rainjacket, spare tubes etc. Would be this be too cumbersome to carry over the whole day?

I think the two official food stops won't be enough and I'll be starving!

Don't. A backpack over that distance would be very uncomfortable. I've done it on one foodstop before. They really do lay on loads. Throw a few bars and a few bob in your pockets along with the rainjacket and tube and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ah yeah

Don't. A backpack over that distance would be very uncomfortable. I've done it on one foodstop before. They really do lay on loads. Throw a few bars and a few bob in your pockets along with the rainjacket and tube and you'll be grand.

Advice taken thanks, how regular are the water stops do you know? only have one bottle cage on the bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

And the good news is that the weather forecast for 2nd is becoming less pessimistic as the days go by. Earlier this week is was looking cloudy with 20% probability of rain. Now it looks like it won't rain at all :

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Killarney-EIXX0023

Surely I don'l need sun screen !!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ah yeah wrote: »
    Advice taken thanks, how regular are the water stops do you know? only have one bottle cage on the bike?

From the organisers:

Main food stops

- At 64 kilometres. Caherciveen .Colaiste na Sceilge, (the school is situated on the Waterville side of the town on the right hand side),

- Light refreshments at Sneem, 110 kilometres

- At 145 kilometres. Kenmare Pobalscoil Inbhear Scéine, Secondary School which is located beside the church.

- There will be a number of water stations along the route.

Going on previous years, I spotted people giving out water at nearly every town along the way. By the sounds of the email, you might get a snack in Sneem too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Giving this a miss this year and kind of regretting the decision now - it really is a great day out.

Anyone got any good nightspot recommendations? I always end up in Mustang Sallys, which ticks all the boxes, but I'm wondering if I should broaden my horizons a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

http://www.killarneygrand.com/ hear good reports of this - haven't been - no connection but locally well regarded for a good night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I'll be there.
    Have done a 110km sportive before but never tried this distance.
    No idea how long its going to take.
    Looking forward to it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

TheTubes wrote: »
    I'll be there.
    Have done a 110km sportive before but never tried this distance.
    No idea how long its going to take.
    Looking forward to it though.

It will take as long as it will take. Dont worry and enjoy it. Tomorrow will be my fourth. Times have ranged between 9hours and 5h50m.
    Anyone who has done 110km is well able for the Ring of Kerry. The longest that I cycled prior to my first one was 90km.
    They are expected 5000 people on the road so it should be a bit of craic (with some mayhem thrown in).

I frove from Molls Gap to Killarney yday, and I have to say that the descent from Ladies View has been resurfaced, and while it is the usual Kerry job at road resurfacing, the road does look better than I have seen it for years.

Weather looks promising to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I was going to do this but I've a very stiff neck so have pulled out :(

Just arrived in Killarney. Weather is glorious. Off for a spin up the Gap of Dunloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

el tonto wrote: »
    Just arrived in Killarney. Weather is glorious. Off for a spin up the Gap of Dunloe.

[Seething Envy]

I'd make an Armstrongian deal to get out on the road with the weather we have today! Perfect conditions for a spin up to the gap!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Looking forward to tomorrow! Was worried about the weather for a while but that seems to have sorted itself out now, should be a great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I've very jealous because I'm won't be there this year :(

Best of luck to everyone on what will be a bloody great day :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 The Behemoth

Did you have a Funky pink jersey on you 2 years ago El Tonto??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Nuts. Wish I was there now.

Did you have a Funky pink jersey on you 2 years ago El Tonto??

Yep. So did Raam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

You can still make the 7pm train...

Owen-Starsky-Hutch-Signature-Do-It.jpg

Voodoo also owns a car

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Dirk

Get on down. You know you want to.

Weather is good. Which is itself a rarity.

Think about it Dirk - if you make it down the Kerry Rose will simply not be able to resist you. Otherwise she'll have to fend off some fierce animals altogether.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

ROK ON wrote: »
    Think about it Dirk - if you make it down the Kerry Rose will simply not be able to resist you. Otherwise she'll have to fend off some fierce animals altogether.:D

Damn, forgot about her:

31-Ryle-Book-7654.jpg

Although, I'm more of a Leitrim rose fan now:

Leitrim2010MarthaGilheaney.jpg

Getting the post-spin relaxation in now. It's hard work.

photo.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

damn it i have to get a road bike :( seems like some craic

Getting the post-spin relaxation in now. It's hard work.

photo.JPG

Bollix

ROK ON wrote: »
    Bollix

You out on the tiles at all this weekend?

Got your email by the way, just haven't had a chance to reply yet.

You out on the tiles at all this weekend?

Got your email by the way, just haven't had a chance to reply yet.

Cooking dinner for the kids, then packing the car to head to Dingle. So no out on the town for me tonite - will see about tomorrow though ;)(I'm heading to Dingle tomorrow night, while kids and missus heading tomorrow morning).

I will start the Ring tomorrow and see how I'm feeling. Tore some ligaments, and had a cyle on Tuesday but was in a lot of pain.
    Aim to start here and be in Killarney for 8.

• Advertisement

Not sure when we'll be starting yet. Probably a little before 8. But we'll be taking it handy enough so you'll probably run into us. Will be in the club colours.

Advertisement